DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Need some advice from the Trance Professionals.

RaySwift 10:32 PM - 28 March, 2012
I been a fan of Trance but never attempted in mixing it. I mainly stick to Hip Hop & RnB but now I wanted to try something different. I recorded a Trance mix and would appreciate some feedback from the DJs who mainly stick to this genre. I would like to get more serious in mixing Trance. Anyways, if you got time to kill, pls check out this mix. Thanks in advance!

Watchwww.youtube.com
Robert W 11:01 PM - 28 March, 2012
I heard mixing Trance is a lot different than other styles, mainly because you're letting both songs mix for longer amounts of time, as opposed to just transitioning from song to song, bringing one track in and the other out. Haha havent hear the term "E-Tard" in a while either.
RaySwift 2:55 AM - 29 March, 2012
haha Yea thats also what I've been hearing. Transitions going as long as 2 minutes. Coming from a hip hop background thats as long as half a track. haha
funkyfresh2012 2:48 PM - 29 March, 2012
I had some time to tune in and take a listen. Some comments i wanted to add: When mixing trance, you definitely want to utilize all HI/MID/LOW eqs during a transition. This helps smoothen the blends from track to track and really make the whole mix sound like one super long track. You gotta ease into your tracks with volume control and EQ switchovers. Also, alot of trance mixing transitions occur during the breakdown of a track. The main skill set in making a quality trance set is controlling the mood of the mix, and not just compiling all the hype tracks and mix them next to each other.

Have you ever tried mixing trance using the camelot wheel? It helps alot with spinning trance.

+1 for bringing back the late 90's and early 2000's trance tracks like ATB, PvD, etc hahah
Its been a while since i heard that "Imagine" track :)
DJ Frank Labate 4:43 PM - 29 March, 2012
The newer trance music doesn't require such long periods of transition. Check out Above & Beyond's Trance around the world podcast. Their transitions are butter and only a few bars.
darkfade 4:56 PM - 29 March, 2012
Quote:
I had some time to tune in and take a listen. Some comments i wanted to add: When mixing trance, you definitely want to utilize all HI/MID/LOW eqs during a transition. This helps smoothen the blends from track to track and really make the whole mix sound like one super long track. You gotta ease into your tracks with volume control and EQ switchovers. Also, alot of trance mixing transitions occur during the breakdown of a track. The main skill set in making a quality trance set is controlling the mood of the mix, and not just compiling all the hype tracks and mix them next to each other.

Have you ever tried mixing trance using the camelot wheel? It helps alot with spinning trance.

+1 for bringing back the late 90's and early 2000's trance tracks like ATB, PvD, etc hahah
Its been a while since i heard that "Imagine" track :)

For more clarification on the camelot wheel, this is actually known as the Circle of 5ths which is a chord progression chart to keep your set in key so you don't have clashing melodies, like a cheatsheet for what key can compliment another. Most well versed DJ's do this without even acknowledging it. Very helpful to learn especially if you play piano.
RaySwift 3:33 AM - 30 March, 2012
Thanks guys for the input! I appreciate it. @funkyfresh...I havent gotten into harmonic mixing. To tell you the truth I just found out about that Harmonic wheel and the program you can download and incorporate with Serato.