DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

The unwritten code of the DJ

Gor 8:34 AM - 17 December, 2007
It was my birthday on Friday and i ended up celebrating it last night at the club i bartender at. I've done enough gigs to know how annoying requests are, but the chick i was with wanted to hear No Diggity in the middle of the night at peak time, so i pulled out a $50 and asked for it, but got denied lol.

I think this is like part of the unwritten code of the dj:
-DJ's don't ask other DJ's for requests.

Anyone got any experiences, or maybe additions to the code? :p
dj_soo 9:02 AM - 17 December, 2007
if you're opening for an act, don't play any songs from said act
sixxx 9:14 AM - 17 December, 2007
wherever you go, there you are
DJ Josh V 12:13 PM - 17 December, 2007
Never Talk To Another DJ while he is cueing in the next song.You should know better to wait until he's not listening to the headphones but thats if you know him.Other than that,you shouldnt be talking to him in the first place.
DPR250R 3:03 PM - 17 December, 2007
Go listen to someone play....

Come on to the this fourm...

Tear them up...

Make sure you state how much better you are then them...

Also don't forget to mention that you have never made a mistake....

Then ask if it is cool to "jack" his spot....

Then ask everyone in the forum how much you should charge..

Make sure to double the average number that is thrown out and say you have never played for less then $xx.xx

All the time not being able to admit to yourself that the DJ you saw will probably smoke you on any given day

[sarcasm]Oops... I thought you meant code for this forum...[/sarcasm]

If your at a club and happen to start talking to the DJ.. there is no need to mention you are a DJ as well unless your asked...
De LA 3:14 PM - 17 December, 2007
heres your DJ code: "Dont be a Douche"
Mr. Goodkat 3:48 PM - 17 December, 2007
don't sit behind someone and copy there tracks, or expect someone to tell you every track you are playing. If you like a track or 2 ask, don't think people don't notice or don't care. I know some people don't care, but some people do, have some respect.
Logisticalstyles 4:20 PM - 17 December, 2007
Don't grab the DJ mic to shout some uneccessary BS. Even if you are a DJ too.

That also goes for touching the mixer of another DJ at work.
Flipstyles 4:28 PM - 17 December, 2007
water is wet
Rebelguy 4:50 PM - 17 December, 2007
make love with a glove
digitaljunkeez 5:04 PM - 17 December, 2007
I hate request period. Luckly I am up stairs and people hate to walk up there. But on average I get maybe 3 request a month!

Don't you hate it when people start of the convo.... I'mma DJ
DVDjHardy 5:25 PM - 17 December, 2007
I'm being honest when I say I really don't mind when people say that they're a DJ. They're just networking with another working DJ. What else would you say if you just want to meet that person for networking purposes?

You can never assume that just because they're out at your club and you're spinning that they are some wanna-be DJ. EVERYONE goes out from time to time, including DJs.
juanvaldez 5:33 PM - 17 December, 2007
rule #79.. no excuses play like a champion!!!
latindj 5:56 PM - 17 December, 2007
I learned this the hard way...Rule #1.

Never fuck the Dj's gf in the head while he is playing, especially if he's bigger than you and will definitely kick your ass if he finds out.
DPR250R 6:44 PM - 17 December, 2007
Quote:
Never fuck the Dj's gf in the head while he is playing

Does this mean...

"In the bathroom"

or

"BJ"
DJ Autograph 6:48 PM - 17 December, 2007
Quote:
rule #79.. no excuses play like a champion!!!

Ammm, that was rule # 76! :P
DJ Michael Basic 6:52 PM - 17 December, 2007
It's not so much the "I'm a DJ" that bugs me, it's the "I'm a DJ, you should do this." As if being a DJ qualifies them to tell you what to do at your spot. Mos times, this is followed by some shit that I actually SHOULDN'T do, because that shit doesn't work at my spot.

I'm personally not the best DJ...I'm not even a GREAT DJ, but I'm a good DJ, and I know my crowd. I know my club Owner's tastes as well, and I know what different genres will do at different times. I don't need some douchebag coming in and telling me what I should do, especially if he has to qualify the remark with, "I'm a DJ, you'll kill it if you do this." Thanks, I'm either already killing it, or I'm not, but if I'm not killing it with my own crowd, your dumb ass request isn't gonna be the magic "Crush It" button that I need to push.

If you're like, a girl DJ, with big boobies, and you wanna show 'em to me, that's different.
latindj 7:50 PM - 17 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Never fuck the Dj's gf in the head while he is playing

Does this mean...

"In the bathroom"

or

"BJ"

in the bathroom...
Audio1 8:14 PM - 17 December, 2007
DJ's/anyone for that matter

Never ask a DJ to switch the genre they are playing/genre of the night....

Nothing more annoying than a few bitches who have a birthday and want to hear TRANCE, at a HipHop night... Go to a RAVE you fuckin skanks!!
dj disturbed 9:51 PM - 17 December, 2007
Quote:
It was my birthday on Friday and i ended up celebrating it last night at the club i bartender at. I've done enough gigs to know how annoying requests are, but the chick i was with wanted to hear No Diggity in the middle of the night at peak time, so i pulled out a $50 and asked for it, but got denied lol.

lol.... i already read about this.... but from the DJ you requested from.... He posted up in the "Most ridiculous comment/request ever made to you while djing?" thread
scratchlive.net

You DJ So Bad that your Request you make when you go to other clubs gets put into the "Most ridiculous comment/request ever made to you while djing?" thread
De LA 10:17 PM - 17 December, 2007
^^^ lol!
jwhispers 10:17 PM - 17 December, 2007
LOL I thought disturbed was jokin but it definitely IS in the most ridiculous comment thread
Request_This_Ladies 10:29 PM - 17 December, 2007
I would've taken the $50 and played the song when it 'fit' the mood.
DPR250R 5:41 AM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:

Nothing more annoying than a few bitches who have a birthday and want to hear Hip-Hop, on any night... fuckin sheep!!
DJ Nevoc 5:56 AM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:

Nothing more annoying than a few bitches who have a birthday and want to hear TRANCE, at a HipHop night... Go to a RAVE you fuckin skanks!!

I'm Not Saying.... I'm Just Saying, Why don't you expand your horizons and learn how you incorperate Trance into Hip-Hop.

A Bay Bay - Original Track Into - 64 beats of

Crank Dat - Funkymix 140 BPM version Into - 64 Beats..

ANY Mainstream Dance/Rave Track Into 1-2 minutes

Fuck IDK Shorty Swing My way INTO 1 minute

Everyday I'm Hustelin... 64 Beats

See and that would take you all of 5-7 minutes Tops And you havent lost your crowd... AND yes all the "THUGS" that hate rave/dance music have just left the floor to buy drinks... So you have just made your bar more money AND if you continue to do this on a more regular basis your bar profits will DEFINITELY increase... AKA "Rotating your dance floor"
Big Phyll 7:15 AM - 18 December, 2007
Here's one of my personal codes:

"If I'm impressed by a DJ, tell 'em."

Real recognize real.
Gor 10:03 AM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:

lol.... i already read about this.... but from the DJ you requested from.... He posted up in the "Most ridiculous comment/request ever made to you while djing?" thread
scratchlive.net

You DJ So Bad that your Request you make when you go to other clubs gets put into the "Most ridiculous comment/request ever made to you while djing?" thread

Firstly, it was on a sunday night, secondly, i didn't say "Im a DJ"!!!
Thirdly, im in Australia, while the poster, djaction is in the US.
Gor 10:04 AM - 18 December, 2007
You had me freaked out for a sec there lol.
DJ LTIZZZLE 1:36 PM - 18 December, 2007
Rule Number 1 in my book. Don't ask to copy any of my music. Get ur own damn tracks if ur a DJ.
djaction 2:33 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

scratchlive.net

Firstly, it was on a sunday night, secondly, i didn't say "Im a DJ"!!!
Thirdly, im in Australia, while the poster, djaction is in the US.

bahahaha =)
pt spinna 2:43 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
Go listen to someone play....

Come on to the this fourm...

Tear them up...

Make sure you state how much better you are then them...

Also don't forget to mention that you have never made a mistake....

Then ask if it is cool to "jack" his spot....

Then ask everyone in the forum how much you should charge..

Make sure to double the average number that is thrown out and say you have never played for less then $xx.xx

All the time not being able to admit to yourself that the DJ you saw will probably smoke you on any given day

[sarcasm]Oops... I thought you meant code for this forum...[/sarcasm]

If your at a club and happen to start talking to the DJ.. there is no need to mention you are a DJ as well unless your asked...

+100
Audio1 6:54 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I'm Not Saying.... I'm Just Saying, Why don't you expand your horizons and learn how you incorperate Trance into Hip-Hop.

See and that would take you all of 5-7 minutes Tops And you havent lost your crowd... AND yes all the "THUGS" that hate rave/dance music have just left the floor to buy drinks... So you have just made your bar more money AND if you continue to do this on a more regular basis your bar profits will DEFINITELY increase... AKA "Rotating your dance floor"

I think you misunderstood what I said. I love Dance music (Shit, Im playing Electro/Bmore/Techno/Classic House this weekend @ Whisper SF).... Im just saying, If your night consists of 100% Top 40, Trance isnt going to cut it and If the crowd/club aint feeling it, Why am I gonna take the chance? Its actually the other way around here... Changing the Genre doesnt guarantee people will go and buy drinks, but more like leave the club... Ive seen it happen in many spots to many DJ's. Unless I know the crowd is down with a lil Techno/Trance/Top40 House, Im not fuckin with it... Plain and simple... If I want to rotate the dancefloor at a top 40 spot, I just switch up the style (If Im playing R&B, get into Heaters... If Im playing heaters, drop a few Bay area slaps or some old school)... Again, This was in reference to playing at hiphop-only spots.

peace!
Audio1 6:56 PM - 18 December, 2007
While your at it, visit my Myspace and Download my latest mix, MY CLUB IS FRESH. It has everything from Warrant to Sinden/Solid Groove to Soulja Boy... My horizons are well expanded my dear friend. www.myspace.com
dj disturbed 6:59 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think you misunderstood what I said. I love Dance music (Shit, Im playing Electro/Bmore/Techno/Classic House this weekend @ Whisper SF).... Im just saying, If your night consists of 100% Top 40, Trance isnt going to cut it and If the crowd/club aint feeling it, Why am I gonna take the chance? Its actually the other way around here... Changing the Genre doesnt guarantee people will go and buy drinks, but more like leave the club... Ive seen it happen in many spots to many DJ's. Unless I know the crowd is down with a lil Techno/Trance/Top40 House, Im not fuckin with it... Plain and simple... If I want to rotate the dancefloor at a top 40 spot, I just switch up the style (If Im playing R&B, get into Heaters... If Im playing heaters, drop a few Bay area slaps or some old school)... Again, This was in reference to playing at hiphop-only spots.

peace!

I was playing at a hip-hop only spot for a while, and YES we did throw in alot of house and stuff and the crowd LOVED it when we did. We would go up and down in the music BPM's all night long.
dj disturbed 7:00 PM - 18 December, 2007
We also play alot of EDM Breaks and E-Hop and they love it too.
Audio1 7:04 PM - 18 December, 2007
Ya, we do that alot in our nights as well. There's just some spots you cant get away with that, is all Im saying... like, Dont ask for trance if its HYPHY night. If I was DJing at a EDM night and someone wanted HYPHY, I surely wouldnt make the switch, unless if the crowd/club was up for it. Theres many crowds to satisfy out there... Ask a HYPHY fan about Mashups and theyll look at you like "Muhfucka, Youz Crazy!"
DJ Nevoc 8:35 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
Ya, we do that alot in our nights as well. There's just some spots you cant get away with that, is all Im saying... like, Dont ask for trance if its HYPHY night. If I was DJing at a EDM night and someone wanted HYPHY, I surely wouldnt make the switch, unless if the crowd/club was up for it. Theres many crowds to satisfy out there... Ask a HYPHY fan about Mashups and theyll look at you like "Muhfucka, Youz Crazy!"

Word, I thought you were implying that you only play hip hop and thats it. Like how EDM guys are "house or nothing" Sorry for the confusion.
dj hoodat baller 9:24 PM - 18 December, 2007
Never diss a dj you have not seen or and or heard atleast a couple of times.
Jonny G 9:43 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:

This is so fucking true...i fucking hate it when people want there fucking song played. im the DJ i know what will work and let me do my job also people that are requesting songs like crazy every night, if you want me to play all your request hire me for your private party and i i will play all your lame request all night long for you.
Audio1 10:50 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
Word, I thought you were implying that you only play hip hop and thats it. Like how EDM guys are "house or nothing" Sorry for the confusion.

No sweat homie... I dunno where some of yall are from, but I DJ in San Francisco and with the amount of nightclubs going off every Friday and Saturday night out here, Your choice of music can determine whether people stick around your spot or head to the next venue. People love to club hop out here... So say, I do drop even just one Trance type tune in a mix... People will get the feeling I'll drop more later on and with the variety of spots and guestlists galore, people have plenty of options. Its not like in Vegas where a DJ can play Trance and then Soulja Boy. People waited 1-2 hours in line in the rain, No way are they leaving. Here, Its the opposite. So much competition, So much to do.
dj hoodat baller 12:21 AM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

No sweat homie... I dunno where some of yall are from, but I DJ in San Francisco and with the amount of nightclubs going off every Friday and Saturday night out here, Your choice of music can determine whether people stick around your spot or head to the next venue. People love to club hop out here... So say, I do drop even just one Trance type tune in a mix... People will get the feeling I'll drop more later on and with the variety of spots and guestlists galore, people have plenty of options. Its not like in Vegas where a DJ can play Trance and then Soulja Boy. People waited 1-2 hours in line in the rain, No way are they leaving. Here, Its the opposite. So much competition, So much to do.

+1 i dj in the bay and Audio 1 is right you have to play the crowd or people will leave and go somewhere else.
DJ Nevoc 12:49 AM - 19 December, 2007
That Sucks that your crowd hops like that!
dj hoodat baller 12:55 AM - 19 December, 2007
It's so many clubs in sf if one is not on hit they go to another one and they are all around each other in like a 10 0r 15 square block there could be like 15 to 20 clubs in some areas
J_Static 2:56 PM - 19 December, 2007
Hey audio, I'ma see u at Whisper, ICON was cool last weekend. Wifey and friends had fun, few folks from my list didn't make it, but it was their lose!

Holla at a playa bro, oh and don't forget to send me that request I was looking for to my gmail account

Sup Grand T!
Audio1 4:18 PM - 19 December, 2007
Word up Static.... Grand-T is right... Like I play at Icon right, On FOlsom and 8, There is probably 10+ clubs in the same block or near vicinity... 1015, Cat Club, The End Up, Butter, Loft 11, Remedy, The X... There is alot to choose from, but thats what ya get in a scene like SF. In other places, it may only be a handful of spots.
andrew b 8:39 PM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:

i am guilty of requesting songs when i am at a party, but the problem is when djs make crazy requests that just don't fit. they should know better.
Mr. Goodkat 9:05 PM - 20 December, 2007
Quote:
While your at it, visit my Myspace and Download my latest mix, MY CLUB IS FRESH. It has everything from Warrant to Sinden/Solid Groove to Soulja Boy... My horizons are well expanded my dear friend. www.myspace.com

warrant to sinden to soljah boy, the unwritten code is not to sandwich good music in between total shit music.
J_Static 9:15 PM - 20 December, 2007
^ Ya go tell that to DJ's like Z-trip and AM.......

Audio's mix is fuckin sick!
Audio1 9:47 PM - 20 December, 2007
^^ Exactly. Go yell at the dudes making all the cash while your at it, SUPERSTAR Hater!
J_Static 9:54 PM - 20 December, 2007
Quote:
^^ Exactly. Go yell at the dudes making all the cash while your at it, SUPERSTAR Hater!

HAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAA! LMAO, ROTFL HELLA HARD!

LMAO @ SUPERSTAR HATER
Mr. Goodkat 10:15 PM - 20 December, 2007
Quote:

copying others style is wack too. There are already 8387475 djing copying Z trip and AM lets keep it rollin in 08!1111
J_Static 10:19 PM - 20 December, 2007
How is Audio's mix up of different genre's a copy of others style! Damn I didn't know DJ AM and Z-trip owned the rights to styles like that.....

Audio, quick get a lawyer for your "My club is fresh" cd cuz I can see AM & Z-trip all over you with "cease and desist" letters

Look superhater, grow the fuck up, ain't no one in here taken anyone's style...

I could see it differently if Audio was like: "Yea this is my "DJ AM" style mix"

WTF ever, STFU and move one
Audio1 10:20 PM - 20 December, 2007
I dont think Z-Trip plays Sinden or Soulja Boy, tho I may be wrong... That's a mix CD I made for fun and give away for FREE to everyone I meet up with. If you have a problem with it, So be it. Im out there doing what I gotta do... I went out and made something special and everyone that has bumped it loves it... Talk the Talk but learn to walk the walk.... Playing mashups/multiple genres does not necesarily mean one it biting off any one DJ's style... No one owns a style. So If I did a strict underground mixing full of juggling and creative trick mixing, Can I say J-Rocc is biting me? No... Grow up homie...
akaider 10:35 PM - 20 December, 2007
Man ya'll are some haters! Audio1 been holdin it down as a DJ's DJ for years! Besides i dropped his Rump Shake with your Vans on rmx (Vans vs rump shaker) inna Brazil and that shit was goin off, mashups work when used tastefully. Got me some nice compliments from the gostosas too! Stop bein bitter and give a little respect, especially to those that got skills and aren't afraid to rock the party.
dj hoodat baller 2:17 AM - 21 December, 2007
Ok i am pissed now Audio 1 is the fucking bomb let it be known

I have never seen Dj Am i have not even heard his mix so i cannot comment on his style.

But i have heard Ztrip before and My man Audio 1 (NO Homo) is the fucking bomb and your boy Ztrip does not even have a style like Audio 1

Let me tell you and listen and look very clearly Ztrip is a good dj with some good Skills

But Audio 1 is the man he works every button,fader, on the mixer and rocks it with speed skills and timing and thats a fact.

In my opinion

He can hang with Ztrip and give him a run for his money and could take him and any other dj on any given night thats right i said it and i am not taking it back

We have plenty of talented dj's in the bay we might not make all the big money but we got skills and any body want to test it like my man Bob baker used to say on the price is right (COME ON DOWN)
Mr. Goodkat 2:21 AM - 21 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

warrant to sinden to soljah boy, the unwritten code is not to sandwich good music in between total shit music.

this is what i said, it was a joke, warrant sux, souljah boy sux, sinden is greatness. What part was wrong?
Mr. Goodkat 2:26 AM - 21 December, 2007
Quote:

i never said that his mix wasn't good, didn't listen to it. and on the copy thing, Audio, were you playing warrant 10 years ago, 5 years ago??? Or did you start playing rock in your sets after the aforementioned dj's and the trend was to play everything, including terrible 80s rock songs?

I'm sure Audio is a great dj, never said he wasn't, and Grand T's endorsement pretty much tell me he's the real deal. I just made my comments, no attacks, just an opinion, which everyone has. So static you can go fuck yourself, biaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch(for the bay homies).
dj hoodat baller 2:33 AM - 21 December, 2007
Ztrip invented mashups get the fuck out of here.

I am not mad at any one on a personal level i am sticking up for a very good dj that i happen to like and i just get up set when people use these newbie dj's to
compare to everyone else like they are Grandmaster Flash or Grandwizard Theodore

these cat just got on the scene and all of a sudden there are the posterchildren for all dj's
it not a personal attack on you Goodkat i got an itch i need to scratch with Ztrip
Audio1 4:45 PM - 21 December, 2007
Quote:
Audio, were you playing warrant 10 years ago, 5 years ago??? Or did you start playing rock in your sets after the aforementioned dj's and the trend was to play everything, including terrible 80s rock songs?

Actually I did... Even though I grew up in a predominantly non-english speaking home (I was born here in SF and didnt learn english til I was 8 years old, US SCHOOL SYSTEMS SUCK!!), My mother preferred popular english music over Mexican/Salvadorean music. My childhood was everything from The Eagles, Creedence Clearwater Revival to Tavares, Santana, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Quiet Riot, Def Leppard.... I probably would have never gotten into hiphop or DJing if it wasnt for the fact I lived at the Corner of Semirary and Foothill Blvd in East Oakland (Watch "Life Is Too Short" by Too Short on YouTube, Its the block he's rolling the Mustang in, by Eastmont Mall).... Long Story short, I did listen and collect rock records way before mashups became popular. DJing and music in general is my passion. :)
J_Static 10:50 PM - 21 December, 2007
Oh Goodkat thanks for the go fuck yourself! That tells me that's all your petty ass could come up with as a comeback!

And no need 2 lie 2 kick it homey, u str8 attacked auDio when u saw the description of his mix! Then u question him on whether or not he was playing that style acouple yrs back!

Fuck you and the high horse u rode in on there buddy! Stop swingin on current Hollywood DJ's dicks and bring ur own flava! I respect all DJ's except those who wanna hate on others doing what do best: "their own thing!"

I put in my time and paid my dues on two seperate coasts, so I know where I stand, and I am respected, status or not!

Biiiiiioootch!
Mr. Goodkat 9:06 AM - 22 December, 2007
i feel you, I grew up listening to all kinds of music, as well, but the majority(not saying you), switched styles after it got popular to play rock, myself included. I started out playing pop house parties, and lounge/downtempo/world music in lounges, hotels, and restaurants. Music and djing are my passion too, and it was either play everything in the club and make 1000-2000 a week or stick to my guns and make 500 a week and get a day job. Wasn't a hard choice. I still push the envelope with my mixes, although i cut out the rock(because it doesnt really work in my market) and this new gen of CC.net dj's makes me want to throw up. I got mad respect for the SF and Chi, dj's and honestly, those 2 markets are the only 2 that would make me nervouse because of the local talent. Static your still reading too much into my comments, but whatever, this is an SSL forum, it must be the cop in you.
J_Static 9:31 AM - 22 December, 2007
Must have read well enough into your comments to notice two other members (akaider and Grand T) coming in here to back up the homey Audio1......