DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

load tracks or hit cues using Rane Sixty-One (61)

deezlee 1:22 AM - 27 March, 2012
anybody figure out a way to load tracks or hit cues using Rane Sixty-One (61).
midi-map the joystick?, mic buttons? etc?
deezlee 12:26 AM - 27 April, 2012
nuthin huh.
Johnnynights 6:36 AM - 18 May, 2012
I midi mapped the flex fx buttons on my 61 to turn on the effects on scratchlive

I havent tried to midi map the joystick

If you have let me know if it worked
SiRocket 10:17 AM - 18 May, 2012
why midi to turn the fx on scratchlive when you could assign flex fx to the usb "channel" and run them post fader?
Johnnynights 4:25 PM - 18 May, 2012
Quote:
why midi to turn the fx on scratchlive when you could assign flex fx to the usb "channel" and run them post fader?

Im using it like this and works perfect
dj shadow from detroit 5:19 PM - 18 May, 2012
can u midi map the joysticks??
Johnnynights 8:20 PM - 18 May, 2012
^^I dont think you can map the joysticks i will try just to make sure.
Mike_P 12:11 AM - 19 May, 2012
even if you map the joysticks they will cut the audio when you engage them since you can't disengage the original function. i have my flex fx buttons on pg1 and 2 assigned to "play" on the internal mode decks and the up-faders assigned to control the pitch in internal mode for gigs when turntables aren't necessary.
Johnnynights 8:44 AM - 19 May, 2012
Mike_P you are right i mapped them and they cut the audio which sucks.
Mike_P 8:49 AM - 19 May, 2012
Yeah, I'm hoping this issue will be addressed in a future firmware update. It just doesn't make sense to have a fully midi mappable mixer without being able to disengage the original function of the knobs/buttons that would be mapped.
djchriscruz 2:03 AM - 29 May, 2012
Has anybody duplicated the scroll crates/tracks/load tracks features of the 57 scroll knobs on the Sixty One?

I just got my Sixty One and I feel mad lost without those knobs. I'm constantly clicking and dragging tracks to play on my laptop because I forgot the keyboard shortcuts. That's the main thing I miss from my 57.
Mike_P 4:01 AM - 29 May, 2012
no, using the dn hc1000 for that or the keyboard shortcuts. [shift+left arrow to load deck 1, shift+right arrow to load deck 2]
DJ REACT 4:19 PM - 12 August, 2012
The joysticks are mappable. I have them mapped to load decks by clicking down on the corresponding joystick (left for deck a, right for deck b).
deezlee 8:29 PM - 12 August, 2012
Nice! Did you figure out how to scroll using the 61 as well? (I don't have one yet)
DJ REACT 11:03 PM - 12 August, 2012
Meh... Kinda.... I mapped one joystick to scroll down and one to scroll up. LOL.
WeeZeeLV 11:29 PM - 14 November, 2012
Any update on this thread, as far as midi mapping certain knobs/buttons on the 61's? I haven't tried midi mapping any of the controls just yet, but would like to know if it's possible. It would be really nice to scroll/load tracks using the 61's and also the fx mode on scratch live. Any input would be much appreciated.
dexterbr 5:37 PM - 25 March, 2013
Any news?
manok 8:50 PM - 3 April, 2013
Bad usabilitity. Please change this BUG.
Revivalist4real 3:58 AM - 17 April, 2013
Dear Rane/Serato,
It would be nice to have a firmware update to address the issue of MIDI mapping on the Sixty One. Not every dj will want to use this mixer the way YOU intended, therefore an option to reconfigure the mixer through MIDI mapping would be most welcome. (ie the ability to disengage original functions of the buttons).
This is possible on way cheaper mixers from other brands...(check Denon for example))

Rane please seriously consider this. It's the only downside to the Sixty One mixer at the moment.
SiRocket 4:24 AM - 18 April, 2013
sadly rane is on the ball with things.... we just have to wait for serato to get up to speed with things.... i'm still waiting for track scroll to work without the prepare window open on 2.4.4 with the rane 57 lolol....
djred83 4:24 AM - 27 December, 2013
this sucks. i absolutely LOVE my rane61... BUT... i mapped my joysticks for instant doubles and it works, but still mutes the channel. not cool... firmware update would be AWESOME if serato would eliminate the original function if it is mapped to something else. I paid $1400USD for this mixer mainly because it was mappable (as serato stated). I feel robbed!! Serato i still love you guys! pleeeeaaassseeeeeee make an update to disable original function when midi mapping! at least the joysticks!! i would even pay for this!! zach put the word in homie!!! ppplleeeeaasseeee!!!
AKIEM 6:45 PM - 30 December, 2013
^yup. djred83, so when instant doubles is mapped to the mute switch, when you hit it won't the xfader be closed on that channel anyway? So even tho its weird it should still work. I've been using ID since it came out and seldom (not never) switch it while the fader is open. So it should actually work out fine - no? As a mater of fact this would be the ONLY thing the switch would be good for assigning it. I can't imagine what else you would want to assign to a mute switch which stays active (just fucking dumb imo)

So are you using it?
djred83 11:11 PM - 5 January, 2014
AKIEM, you make a really good point. To justify my post, I am coming from a 57sl which i had my joysticks mapped for ID's. For example, if I am playing a track on the left deck, and I want to ID it to the right deck, I would tap the "left" joystick in the right direction to move it to the right deck. I mapped it the same way on the 61, but it does mute the channel when doing this. BUT, if i reverse the mapped buttons, and make it so if i tap the "right" joystick, it will send the track from the left deck to the right without any audio interuption. This will work out perfectly. Only gripe I have is that I am used to tapping that left joystick lol. Will work out great actually, just would take some getting used to which shouldnt be a problem at all. As for the 57sl, u were able to map both joysticks, in 4 directions each. unfortunately, with the 61 u can only map one function to each joystick. Thanks for the "common sense" info though, I mustve been brain farting to not think of this in the first place lol Thanks homie!
AKIEM 6:18 AM - 6 January, 2014
Excellent. yeah thats how I ve have always used ID one on each joystick.

Just want to mention once again how ridiculous it is to have buttions which cant be unsigned from the original function.

I was hoping that was going to be fixed eventually - doubt it at this point :(
A_Jack 12:41 PM - 6 January, 2014
I think 61 was just a plan to sell more 62s. They purposefully made it so restricted that you would want to shell out 500$ more for the 62.

I was hoping 61 would become mappable later when enough 62s were sold but it seems it's not happening. Pretty stupid to have a mixer with buttons and not being able to map them properly.

I don't think its a crap mixer.. I like it.. but this midi-mapping thing is a serious flaw and really bad design. This is why I think this mixer is a little overpriced.
DJunderdogg 5:14 AM - 15 April, 2014
Quote:
The joysticks are mappable. I have them mapped to load decks by clicking down on the corresponding joystick (left for deck a, right for deck b).

So I just got a Rane Sixty One and trying to map the Joystics. How did you do this? I don't see how you can MIDI map things in Serato DJ that are not in the software and are keyboard shortcuts. How did you do this?
DJ Precise inc 4:26 AM - 8 May, 2014
I mapped the effects/samples, it works perfect in scratch live, would be nice to get the joysticks mapped like the 57 but oh well, I'm happy being able to use my samples/drops and effects on the mixer without having to over pay for the 62
Youngtee 7:51 AM - 14 October, 2014
Ive midi mapped my right joy stick to instant double as i use one table it seems to be working fine and doesn't mute the track at all.

but what I real would like is to scroll up and down and left and right and select tracks would be nice but the sticks only seem to do one thing for any directions you tap it to.

Does any one know if this can be mapped and changed the joys sticks have potentially 5 possibilities up down left right and the click but I can only get two functions to map the clicking in of the joy stick and and direction you tap the stick does the same thing????

hope that makes sense
djred83 1:39 AM - 17 November, 2014
unfortunately you cannot deactivate the original function of the joystick.
Youngtee 5:25 AM - 17 November, 2014
Thats a bummer but I now use the reloop RP8000 where I can select tracks from the deck
Gio Alex 11:31 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
I think 61 was just a plan to sell more 62s. They purposefully made it so restricted that you would want to shell out 500$ more for the 62.

I thought this too because if you think about it, it was priced around the same as the 57 with less features. The only advantage is USB 2.0 vs the 57.

Less buttons, in/outs then the 57 and way less features then the 62. I don't even think it was Rane's faukt either on the pricing, I think that was all Serato right there.

Look at the back of a 57:
i.cdn.sera.to

Vs

61:
i.cdn.sera.to

They didn't even have the decency to give it XLR outs, smh. Which just creates an annoying inconvenience when you go to places that have XLR running to their boards.

The 61 is basically a 56 with an SL2 in it.

Let's not even get started on the lack of buttons. 61 should've been price at like $899-$999 retail, and the 62 should've been the original price of the 57 or slightly IMO. Just my 2 cents.
lumas13 3:28 AM - 18 November, 2014
IMO, a lot of people give the 61 a bad rap due to the lack of midi control, lack of 2 USB's and a lack of XLR outputs, although most people STILL USE other midi options (Dicers, SP1, etc), it's not a bad mixer at all if you can get around that
Gio Alex 3:41 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
IMO, a lot of people give the 61 a bad rap due to the lack of midi control, lack of 2 USB's and a lack of XLR outputs, although most people STILL USE other midi options (Dicers, SP1, etc), it's not a bad mixer at all if you can get around that

It's not that it's a "bad" mixer. It's stripped down 57 mixer, which is really a 56 with SL/SD capabilities for $1400 list price. I feel like they had to strategically justify the purchase of a 62 by leaving features out of the 61. The could've slap 4 extra buttons, left the damn ins/outs alone in the back, and fine, 1usb port, but that would at least justify $1400.

It's a great looking mixer though. I prefer the look over the skittles, spaceship LED 62, but that's just about the look.
Youngtee 8:30 AM - 18 November, 2014
I do like the 61 its simple and suits me for what I do.

for what it is it is a bit pricey and even the 62 is pricey.

if they did add a few more buttons or XLR out puts man I would be over the moon but I like it for its simplicity.