DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Kontrol F1 + the Bridge: interested?

Will Marshall 1:09 AM - 26 March, 2012
Hey guys,

Native Instruments is releasing a controller called the Kontrol F1 (www.mixmag.net). I think this would be the *perfect* controller to trigger clips in Ableton with the Bridge, as it's small and cheaper than the APC20.

Unfortunately, out of the box it doesn't have good Ableton support like the Launchpad or APC.

I am considering writing a script that'll let you use the Kontrol F1 just like a small, four-channel APC20.

Would you be interested in such a thing?
Code:E 9:08 PM - 26 March, 2012
That would be sweet..... Im considering buying the F1 just because you also get a full copy of traktor with it, and i really want to play with this new sample deck traktor has. I most likely wont move away from serato because traktor cant do video (yet). But i wouldnt mind tring traktor out. And if i already have that controller (and i have the bridge and a apc40) i would so give a F1 bridge mapping try.
Razy 10:19 PM - 26 March, 2012
Its more expensive as an APC 20 in germany. And only 4 Channels for Ableton.
I also don't need Traktor Pro. So why should I buy it?

I'd prefer every Launchpad, APC 20 and APC 40. It has much more controll units.
Will Marshall 10:42 PM - 26 March, 2012
Because the APC20 is absolutely massive, and the Launchpad has too many buttons and nothing else ;)
Code:E 11:01 PM - 26 March, 2012
apc 20 and 40 have 1 large downside. the bridge display in serato shows a grid for 8x8 clips, both apc are 8x5 clips..... this is a pain in the ass and very confusing in a live situations well jumping around tonds of clips.... If i didnt get the apc 40 as a gift i would have just bought a lunch pad and mapped my MPD32 differently than i have it mapped now.
DJ Emb 1:00 AM - 2 July, 2012
Hey guys im looking at mapping the f1 to just control serato while my apc40 gets used for the bridge. I was at a gig last night and the guy before me had an f1 and i tried midi mapping it in serato but the f1 just wouldnt respond at all.. when i plugged the usb into my laptop the f1 lights flashed but when i tried assigning anything it wouldnt respond... are there some sort of drivers?
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but if anyone knows it would be cool
DJ Matty Stiles 2:24 AM - 11 July, 2012
i think the f1 is a great idea for gigs. Its more portable than the apc20, and it's bus powered i'm assuming. If someone did a mapping template that would be awesome
DJ Emb 3:38 AM - 11 July, 2012
The f1 works perfectly with serato, just had to install traktor which automatically installed the f1 drivers (you can't get the f1 drivers separately to my knowledge).
Overall the f1, IMO, is a perfect controller for serato...
Code:E 5:13 AM - 11 July, 2012
@DJ EMB what are you using it todo? Are you controlling the bridge with it?
DJ Emb 1:33 PM - 11 July, 2012
Hey, nope I've got my apc40 controlling ableton. The f1 is being used like a denon hc1000, purely midi mapped to serato, with the 4 faders on it ive got pitch control and fine pitch control for both left and right, cues, play, sampler deck, load left right, scroll through my lists, everything I need.

I don't use cdj's or vinyl at all so no timecode. Yea this might be frowned upon but meh producing is my main focus not so much dj'ing
phatbob 2:23 PM - 11 July, 2012
I wouldn't frown on that, as such, but I would ask you what's the point of having Scratch Live at all then?

Ableton does everything that Scratch Live does, except scratching. And you aren't scratching...
DJ Emb 2:33 PM - 11 July, 2012
Because I've been dj'ing on serato for over 5 years, im just too use to it to completely leave it behind just yet
Trinicapone 11:00 AM - 12 July, 2012
@ CODE:E Check out this template youtu.be APC 40 is the shit!
Code:E 6:48 AM - 14 July, 2012
Got it. Trying to modify it though.

Here my epic DJ setup that i havent got working yet.

2 cdj2000's in HID mode., Serato SL4, APC 40 and a modified ill gates template. and The bridge.

SL4 audio 1+2 output into, input 3+4. Route those 2 input's into ableton into there own channels.
Use output 4 as cu output (need a headphone preamp), and output 5 as master output. Input 3 (with a mic pre amp) as my mic input,
and BAM I'm using a APC40 as my dj mixer.
It works at home but i dont own the preamps yet, Not sure how bad the audio lag is, i need to play with it more. But this setup work's but the effects he has setup time off the clock in ableton so the efx just dont sound good. abletons efx are one of the main reasons on why i want todo this. Plus his internal fader he as programed is really epic. I also have a MPD 32 and want to use his template for that combined with the apc 40 one. I would use the mpd for efx and such, and return some of the apc's stock mappings.
phatbob 8:42 AM - 14 July, 2012
All that, and you can only run in mono? Hmmm. Seems like you need another audio interface in that setup, to me.
Trinicapone 1:48 PM - 14 July, 2012
Quote:
Got it. Trying to modify it though.

Here my epic DJ setup that i havent got working yet.

2 cdj2000's in HID mode., Serato SL4, APC 40 and a modified ill gates template. and The bridge.

SL4 audio 1+2 output into, input 3+4. Route those 2 input's into ableton into there own channels.
Use output 4 as cu output (need a headphone preamp), and output 5 as master output. Input 3 (with a mic pre amp) as my mic input,
and BAM I'm using a APC40 as my dj mixer.
It works at home but i dont own the preamps yet, Not sure how bad the audio lag is, i need to play with it more. But this setup work's but the effects he has setup time off the clock in ableton so the efx just dont sound good. abletons efx are one of the main reasons on why i want todo this. Plus his internal fader he as programed is really epic. I also have a MPD 32 and want to use his template for that combined with the apc 40 one. I would use the mpd for efx and such, and return some of the apc's stock mappings.

PM ME!
Code:E 1:31 AM - 15 July, 2012
Quote:
All that, and you can only run in mono? Hmmm. Seems like you need another audio interface in that setup, to me.

What are you talking about? nothing is mono.
When i'm talking about outputs i mean stereo pairs. The sl4 box is 10 channels in/out
phatbob 1:34 AM - 15 July, 2012
Good point. I read it like you were talking about individual outputs, had my Ableton head on. Doh.
Code:E 11:43 PM - 16 July, 2012
all good. :)
Code:E 11:44 PM - 16 July, 2012
I figured thats what you where thinking.
ral 8:19 PM - 26 July, 2012
thinkin' of grabbing f1 to for bridge / sampler use

thing is, i used to have apc40 - sold it - its not portable for gigging - and faders/knobs are easy to break - what i like is, the led lights responds to what clip is playing
DJ_Simple 11:15 PM - 4 September, 2012
Damn, I want to get a midi controller to use with the bridge but i'm not sure what to get after reading this thread. I like the APC40 just because it is already mapped for ableton and it offers a lot of functionality with all the buttons and knobs but I saw Razy's setup using the Akai LPD8 and the launch pad which has me re-considering. plus I need to get another sound card if I want to try and get all this going like homeboy Razy has goin on. My questions are, who has suggestions on midi controllers but more importantly, how are you guys making all these midi controllers work when there are only two USB ports on a macbook pro? I use a USB hub already since I am using dicers, external HD and serato but I've found that you have to plug the serato USB directly into the laptop because Serato DOES NOT like when you route it through a Hub!
DJ MDX 4:28 PM - 10 September, 2012
Hey @Will Marshall,

I'm interested in the F1 mapping for the Bridge and a tweaked APC 40. I have your APC 40 Pro and its a sweet template!
Dj Ace 2:00 PM - 17 September, 2012
&DJ MDX

where did you get the "pro" template? I have been shopping for a template myself.
DJ MDX 2:44 PM - 17 September, 2012
@Dj Ace - Here you go - willmarshall.me
Trinicapone 3:02 AM - 18 September, 2012
Quote:
@Dj Ace - Here you go - willmarshall.me

I love mine!
bar:tone 7:07 PM - 30 September, 2012
Quote:
willmarshall.me

agreed!

would def purchase a template for an F1 for use with The Bridge!