Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Converting my music to MP3's

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Dj Paperchase 5:32 AM - 19 September, 2005
Hey this maybe a dume questions, but I just got my SSL and my powerbook and only the files that were MP3 transfered n into my SSL crates....Now I am trying to convert some cd's and music off my other Cd's and they are all WMA files....can anyone tell me how to make them work in SSL?
Serato
Josh 5:52 AM - 19 September, 2005
what are you converting with? Scratch LIVE does not support WMA files.
Dj Paperchase 6:05 AM - 19 September, 2005
I'm not converting with anything i was just wondering is there anyway to turn those files into MP3 so i can put them in my SSL crate?
casual 12:50 PM - 19 September, 2005
audacity - audacity.sourceforge.net and
LAME encoder - lame.sourceforge.net

if you need to get the tracks from cd (i cant remember if audacity rips from cd), there is a free program for pcs called FreeRIP - google it!

all free and legal
Rebelguy 4:14 PM - 19 September, 2005
Hey Casual...

Do either of those programs do Batch Conversion. I need to convert around 2000 files from .wav to MP3 and don't have the time to do each individually. I am looking for something that I can just set up and let it go overnight. Is 192k okay or should I just go for 320k

On another topic, do ogg files sound better than mp3? If not, what is the benefit of using themM

Thanks for any info.
casual 5:17 PM - 19 September, 2005
batch conversion with audacity? I don't know, I have actually only used the program 2wice. I use soundforge for batch conversions - but soundforge isn't free, well my copy wasnt.

the freerip program (which only rips from cd's) does batch conversion, however you can only do 1 cd at a time (unless you have more than one cd drive)

As far as bit rate is concerned, I know a lot of poeple on this board use 192, personally, I think 192 sounds like shite, I try to use wav, people will argue that you can't hear a difference, anyways, I will not go lower than 320kbs. Have you ever been in a club and heard a track mixed in that obviously doesn't sound as good as the rest of the tracks? I have and It sucks, Nowadays storage really is not a problem, I would go with the best quality you can.

Never used ogg files, I understand them to be of a decent quality, but can't say for sure if they are better or worse than mp3s
pb 6:19 PM - 19 September, 2005
EAC is a program that uses lame as the encoder. You can simply drag all your .wav's into eac and it will convert them all in one batch. do a google search for EAC, it is free...
pb 6:19 PM - 19 September, 2005
Also, instead of 320, try using the high quality variable bit rate...
nobspangle 6:48 PM - 19 September, 2005
For Wavs also have a look at razorlame it's another lame frontend
Dj Paperchase 6:55 PM - 19 September, 2005
This free rip programs seems to be pretty good, but when i rip them into a Mp3 when i load them on my powerbook and itunes plays them its say they are AIFF files but i can still load them in my SSL...strange?
Dj Paperchase 6:58 PM - 19 September, 2005
oh sorry for anyone who is newe looking at the post...I just got my SSL bout a week ago and my powerbook on friday....I havent hooked any thing up yet becuase i'm trying to get all my music str8 first....I had a lot of songs on cd and on my pc that are WMA files and I'm trying to convert them over to MP3's....free rip seems to be working ok....i guess i'll have to keep my fingers crossed...oh yeah i am also building my overviews as well...i'm hoping to have SSL hooked up top my Turntables by the middle of the week!!!!
Shad 10:53 PM - 19 September, 2005
Has anyone had any problems with mp3 vs wav? Is av less likely to crash or is mp3?
Shad 10:53 PM - 19 September, 2005
Has anyone had any problems with mp3 vs wav? Is av less likely to crash or is mp3?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 11:22 PM - 19 September, 2005
Quote:
This free rip programs seems to be pretty good, but when i rip them into a Mp3 when i load them on my powerbook and itunes plays them its say they are AIFF files but i can still load them in my SSL...strange?
Make sure the files have extentions attached to end of the file names (for example, supercoolsong.mp3)

Also, iTunes can convert .wma files to MP3 :-)
Rane, Support
Shaun W 11:25 PM - 19 September, 2005
Quote:
Has anyone had any problems with mp3 vs wav? Is wav less likely to crash or is mp3?
Neither should crash SSL :) Wav is an uncompressed file format (like AIFF files), so they're easier for your computer to play, but they won't save on hard drive space.
Dj Paperchase 2:05 AM - 20 September, 2005
oh ok so Aiff's files are ok?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:08 PM - 20 September, 2005
Yep