DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How to get people to leave the booth

DJ Matty Stiles 2:11 AM - 18 March, 2012
last night i counted about 20 people come into the booth who I didn't want.

I always drop the same line... "sorry bro you can't be in here".

I just wanted to know if anyone has found an effective strategy that works
Logisticalstyles 3:01 AM - 18 March, 2012
Is there a door? How about Security?
djnonstopla323 3:02 AM - 18 March, 2012
i hate when people are behind me while im djin or by my equipment
DJ'Que 3:09 AM - 18 March, 2012
I stop the music and act like its something they did.
Mike_P 3:20 AM - 18 March, 2012
Start farting non stop. They'll leave.
DJ Matty Stiles 3:43 AM - 18 March, 2012
Quote:

the booth is on an elevated platform, some people seem to think they can invite themselves up and harrass me. The manager and I tried putting these big metal barricades up one night that we had lying in the storage room but it looked so militiristic and antisocial.

I'm thinking this might do the trick...

barware.cart.net.au
Papa Midnight 6:48 AM - 18 March, 2012
If you want to come into the booth:

A) Work there (if it's during performance, have a good reason)
B) Be with the DJ (i.e.: Entertainment Team, MC, Promoter, Good Friend)
C) (If you don't personally know the DJ) Introduce yourself in the early hours (before show starts if you get in early) or while the club is relatively empty.
D) Be the DJ

This is simple ettiquette. Don't try to push yourself into the booth at 12:30 so your friend can pull out their phone (or you toss them yours) and take a picture of you in the booth with the DJ and tag yourselves on facebook / twitter. I saw that once at a larger club I went to one night before it closed down. I don't think the DJ was amused with that bright flash in his face.

Quote:

barware.cart.net.au

Be careful with those. I've seen some club's use them (particularly to separate the dance floor from the tables). When club's get packed, people tend not to pay attention to them and can fall or trip over them (See: other thread on liability). Other persons will just flat out ignore them and lift them up or go under/over them.
djnonstopla323 7:02 AM - 18 March, 2012
Quote:

lmao i should lol
Quote:

lmao i should lol
Quote:

lmao i should lol
Quote:

lmao i should lol
djnonstopla323 7:26 AM - 18 March, 2012
Wow just notice this my computer was tripping
djbanno 7:36 AM - 18 March, 2012
DJ Matty Stiles 12:12 PM - 18 March, 2012
Quote:
Be careful with those. I've seen some club's use them (particularly to separate the dance floor from the tables). When club's get packed, people tend not to pay attention to them and can fall or trip over them (See: other thread on liability). Other persons will just flat out ignore them and lift them up or go under/over them.

ohhh man that's not good to hear! thanks for giving me the heads up. I can imagine you'd be right about that. Hmmm - I guess it can't hurt having those retractable barricades - to minimise the damage certainly better than being totally exposed.

Also, another thought...

www.qsafesps.com.au
BERTO 12:20 PM - 18 March, 2012
Authorized in the Us
BERTO 12:21 PM - 18 March, 2012
The spelling looked off for a reason
Papa Midnight 4:08 PM - 18 March, 2012
Quote:

AmericaniZation of the English language. Most other English-speaking countries use "S". It took me aback a bit when I met my AUS and NZ friends, but you get used to it. Hell, I find myself using it as well.
BERTO 5:05 PM - 18 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

AmericaniZation of the English language. Most other English-speaking countries use "S". It took me aback a bit when I met my AUS and NZ friends, but you get used to it. Hell, I find myself using it as well.

I know
clickclickw00t 10:31 PM - 20 March, 2012
the thing that always works: turn up the booth until they can't even breathe.
clickclickw00t 10:31 PM - 20 March, 2012
the thing that always works: turn up the booth until they can't even breathe.
Audio1 10:39 PM - 20 March, 2012
1 - Eat $20 worth of Taco Bell before the club
2 - Hit em with the ripe TACO ASS the rest of the night

NUFF SAID.
Mike_P 10:43 PM - 20 March, 2012
Quote:

Quote:

NUFF SAID.

and there you have it folks. the preferred choice of the discerning dj.
Audio1 10:47 PM - 20 March, 2012
You can always pull your dick out. Most people will run. Some will be amazed at you either holding a big hunk of meat or something that looks like shrivelled sausage link.
Audio1 10:48 PM - 20 March, 2012
DJ naked. There. No one will go to your booth.
Mike_P 10:57 PM - 20 March, 2012
Lol!
Daktyl 11:07 PM - 20 March, 2012
Quote:

NUFF SAID.

make sure you have plenty of "shit break" 10 minute mixes loaded in the prepare tab
DJ Prinvale` 11:14 PM - 20 March, 2012
ask them politely to leave, if they don't have a nod/signal for security. Ours was always "location + a number".

Rope the area off with a sign

Keep security close by and give them the nod (usually if it's a hot chick) or no if it's just randoms.
maddogsguy 12:50 AM - 21 March, 2012
I will do the "pull out your dick" thing I think either they will leave the booth, or one of the girls will hit their knees. Either way....I win!!
maddogsguy 12:51 AM - 21 March, 2012
If all else fails...I will rip ass. Problem solved!
DJ Dynamite - NJ 10:50 PM - 25 March, 2012
Just say "Get the fuck out"
djkurve 1:10 AM - 26 March, 2012

+100
bMann 1:30 AM - 26 March, 2012
end of the day it's your booth, i have the balls to tell them to fy3K off, take control like you do with your dance floor
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:32 AM - 26 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

the booth is on an elevated platform, some people seem to think they can invite themselves up and harrass me. The manager and I tried putting these big metal barricades up one night that we had lying in the storage room but it looked so militiristic and antisocial.

barware.cart.net.au

NO NO NO!

You gotta send a message..

peiserclan.files.wordpress.com
Carl Katana 4:04 PM - 26 March, 2012
FART!
DJ Matty Stiles 4:51 PM - 26 March, 2012
Quote:
Rope the area off with a sign

I did this the other night and it worked SOOOO well, I can't believe I didn't do it earlier.
First I got that fancy red velvet rope and sectioned off the DJ booth, then I put up these laminated signs that I had made saying "restricted area" (couldnt think of anything better) and I put the clubs logo underneath and it ended up looking really legit. First I asked the manager if this was ok and he was cool with it so it was sweet. Anyways I did not get ANYONE come in. It was magic. PLUS the sign and ropes give the booth more of a VIP feel - makes it more exclusive - therefore more desirable for hot girls to come in, so when you DO invite them in they feel extra special
DJ Matty Stiles 4:54 PM - 26 March, 2012
PS, makes me feel like a king haha. I highly recommend others do this!
Dom The DJ 4:46 AM - 27 March, 2012
Quote:
PS, makes me feel like a king haha. I highly recommend others do this!

Always check with the responsible party for the venue and be careful if that isn't YOU because anything that's not bolted down is a potential hazard and therefore insurance liability.
Dom The DJ 4:46 AM - 27 March, 2012
*if that IS you. My bad.
DJ Matty Stiles 4:08 AM - 28 March, 2012
aside from farting, does anyone have any real suggestions?
Mr. Goodkat 4:23 AM - 28 March, 2012
man thats a hard one, you either have to have a security guard or be a dick or both.
DJ Matty Stiles 6:19 AM - 28 March, 2012
Well I like to implement EVERYTHING. Be a dick, have a buddy with you being a dick shutting people down, have security nearby, set up signs and barriers. lol
ced_so_thoed 2:15 PM - 28 March, 2012
ay
seriously I fart
a lot
yep
nik39 3:34 PM - 28 March, 2012
Quote:
ay
seriously I fart
a lot
yep

Very funny.. I was about to post the same when I read the thread's topic :-P
DJ GRIAL 5:20 PM - 28 March, 2012
I hate it but I make more money with these people, every time somebody goes to the dj booth I give them a paper, marker and my tip charge... I let them know no tip, no play...
pb 4:27 AM - 29 March, 2012
Charge ridiculous admission fees to enter the booth like its VIP
Chrisjin 12:25 PM - 29 March, 2012
I have always tried to get to know security real well for every residency I did. That way, I would ask if a couple of them could rotate and post up by the booth area. It's work so far. Plus make them a mixtape here and there to make them feel special.
Dj Ready Red 3:51 PM - 29 March, 2012
Thats the place were everyone wants to be it seems even 30 in the game they still want to be close to the action I'm polite but firm when I have that problem with guests or friends.
Audio1 3:57 PM - 29 March, 2012
Quote:
I have always tried to get to know security real well for every residency I did. That way, I would ask if a couple of them could rotate and post up by the booth area. It's work so far. Plus make them a mixtape here and there to make them feel special.
+1
DJ FaceMI 7:58 PM - 29 March, 2012
Quote:
i hate when people are behind me while im djin or by my equipment

+1
DJ DisGrace 8:18 PM - 29 March, 2012
Man, I remember back in the day when the first no smoking laws came into effect. The campus bars I worked at were technically private membership, so the law didn't actually apply to them. The student government followed suit and smoking was "not allowed" in the club, but the rule was not very well respected initially. The managers and djs would still smoke in the booth.

After a few weeks, it became common knowledge that you could smoke in the booth, friends would come up, bring me a drink, have a smoke. Keep in mind this was a big booth, and the mixing area was separated from the small couch/lounge area by a table with my records. To this day, I still remember turning around one night to see at least 15-20 people packed up in the booth smoking, a tray of shooters, buckets of Coronas, and a MASSIVE wafts of smoke pouring out of the booth. LOL

Soon after, no one was allowed to smoke in the booth....

To keep on topic, keep people out of the booth by posting a "no smoking" or "no drinks" sign!
djaction 8:47 PM - 29 March, 2012
Seven words: Truck Air Horn
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:17 PM - 29 March, 2012
Isn't that 3 words?
djcrap 4:18 AM - 30 March, 2012
This

youtu.be