DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Sue the DJ!!

Free Man 1:52 PM - 17 March, 2012
Heard about a few lawsuits that were so lame they annoyed me... Has anyone had any issues or heard stories about DJ's and lawsuits?

#1... Lady didnt want to dance, and the music the DJ played forced her to dance, so she sued him...

#2.. Chick took the DJ who did her wedding to Judge Judy. Tried to say he didnt do stuff and bring some stuff that was promised. In the end he had pictures and Judge Judy got pretty mad at her. Her response was "well my friends did that with their DJ's and they didnt have to pay for their DJ at their wedding"
Logisticalstyles 2:05 PM - 17 March, 2012
It's the American way.
Free Man 2:32 PM - 17 March, 2012
Quote:
It's the American way.

I was talking to an Attorney in Canada yesterday. Mentioned the first story to him and ^^^ that is exactly what he said.
sacrilicious 4:16 PM - 17 March, 2012
Sue their estate!
djchrischip 4:17 PM - 17 March, 2012
Quote:
Sue their estate!

bringing back a forum classic!!!
Free Man 4:33 PM - 17 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Sue their estate!

bringing back a forum classic!!!

+1 lol...

Seriously though, does anyone have any stories about a DJ getting sued?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:55 PM - 17 March, 2012
DJ Reflex 5:09 AM - 24 March, 2012
I've had a bride threaten not to pay me at the end of her wedding because she says that I played the wrong song at her ceremony when she was walking down the isle. Turns out that her mom changed the order of the bridal party and gave me the wrong song list at the last minute. After the reception (which went well for all the guests), the bride pitched another fit and stormed out. Her new husband not only paid the bill, but also gave me a tip. I got handshakes and plenty of compliments for guests and family members. A week later I got a call from the bride again complaining that I did not play the last ending song and therefore I should send the payment back. She had a specific song that I was to play at midnight to end the dance. Turns out that she left at 11:30 in a huff and ended the night early.

I just laughed at her and felt sorry for her husband. I think this was doomed from the start!
Papa Midnight 6:48 AM - 24 March, 2012
^ CONTRACT!
Dj Bacik 6:54 AM - 24 March, 2012
I watched that whole damn thing.

Now I want some ribs.
DJ GOOK 8:58 PM - 24 March, 2012
DJ GOOK 9:10 PM - 24 March, 2012
slimmjimm 10:14 PM - 24 March, 2012

I remember watching both of these. I also googled Cameron Bameron.
Free Man 5:07 AM - 25 March, 2012
Quote:
I've had a bride threaten not to pay me at the end of her wedding because she says that I played the wrong song at her ceremony when she was walking down the isle. Turns out that her mom changed the order of the bridal party and gave me the wrong song list at the last minute. After the reception (which went well for all the guests), the bride pitched another fit and stormed out. Her new husband not only paid the bill, but also gave me a tip. I got handshakes and plenty of compliments for guests and family members. A week later I got a call from the bride again complaining that I did not play the last ending song and therefore I should send the payment back. She had a specific song that I was to play at midnight to end the dance. Turns out that she left at 11:30 in a huff and ended the night early.

I just laughed at her and felt sorry for her husband. I think this was doomed from the start!

finish the call, when you get divorced, i'll throw your future X a divorce party to celebrate getting rid of you... click
DJ Reflex 11:53 PM - 25 March, 2012
Right on! Double the business! :)
MexiKanMan 3:38 AM - 27 March, 2012
Just a quick thought on "being sued":

Based on your state laws, a client can sue you XX years after the date. After each performance I like to sit down and write out the things that went right and went wrong. I try to be as objective as I can and even if I don't agree; I consider that I received a complaint and write some notes about it.

Now, I've never been sued (*knock on wood*) but in Texas you can be sued up to 2 years after the incident. At the end of each year, I go back and shred the documents for 4 years prior. I keep a 2 year cushion just in case!

Doing this will protect you in the event you're sued and, you may be able to identify errors you won't make in the future.....good luck!

NOTE: Keep in mind that your client is not the only person that can sue you, but that's a whole new mess for another day.
SUBSTANCE 11:34 PM - 18 April, 2012
I see your DJ lawsuit & raise you an assault charge....
djvtyme85 12:00 AM - 19 April, 2012
Quote:
I see your DJ lawsuit & raise you an assault charge....

THIS/\ lol
DJLRock 1:37 AM - 19 April, 2012
this is why I'm paid in full 16 days prior.
Superman First Class 10:24 AM - 18 July, 2018
Guys have you ever had to sue a client?
17tr2 11:49 AM - 18 July, 2018
I put them on a payment plan to avoid having to do this. One easy payment.
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:54 AM - 18 July, 2018
Sue their estate haha