Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Slice mode for itch

Dave The One 4:43 PM - 15 March, 2012
Im the proud and very pleased owner of the NS6; I recently watched a video for Twitch and was blown away by the slice mode.
I'm pleading to Serato to please integrate the slice mode into itch for all capable itch controllers. Loop juggling is ok with the ns6 but holding shift to do it keeps both hands tied up.

How about an expansion of the sp6 to include a slice mode?
in the case of ns6 it would work the exact same way that sp6 works, pressing the ns6 controller mode in itch sp6. Add a button that says slice either in sp6 menu or right in between sp6 and efx.

I'd love to use the dicer to control the feature too; a redesign of dicer would be great too for the specific slice functionality.

Exporting saved loops to sp6 when the track is loaded to a deck would be a great feature too.

Serato, are you listening?!
CBSDJDAVE 9:17 PM - 15 March, 2012
I 2nd that thought, I would like the slice and dicer effects also, Serato Help us out!
Dave The One 3:10 AM - 17 March, 2012
NSP6; Is this a slicer for the NS6? What's up with this; when is it coming out?

www.skratchworx.com
seratosnatch 2:26 PM - 17 March, 2012
Novation should come out with a Slicer.
DJ Oasys 5:12 PM - 17 March, 2012
I am drooling right now. :)
DJ Oasys 5:13 PM - 17 March, 2012
For the VCI 380!!!
DJ Oasys 5:13 PM - 17 March, 2012
I am drooling right now. :)
toi 12:14 AM - 18 March, 2012
As a Twitch owner I can confirm slicing is awesome
Dave The One 4:30 PM - 26 March, 2012
I bought twitch four days ago; I'm sending it back. I didn't like it at all. Love my NS6; thought I would be able to use twitch for slicing mode but that was super overkill and the sound on twitch needed alot of help.

NSP6, Slice Mode for NS6, c'mon serato!!!
XRM5 7:12 PM - 26 March, 2012
+1 for all Itch controllers, & SL too.
DJ Urkel Dee 7:24 PM - 26 March, 2012
The slicer is a sweet effect... Wonder why it's a Twitch only... Because of the number of pads?
Dave The One 8:18 PM - 26 March, 2012
Serato was working on a pad solution for the ns6
www.skratchworx.com
KamiCrazy 11:23 PM - 26 March, 2012
If you want slicer I believe the only options you have are twitch or vci-380.

How would you control quantize and domain on the NSP6?

Overall this is a side effect of the ITCH business model, you need that specific controller if you want those specific features. Its like twitch owners asking serato to come out with a platter addon so we can have moving platters on the twitch.
XRM5 4:44 PM - 27 March, 2012
Quote:
Overall this is a side effect of the ITCH business model, you need that specific controller if you want those specific features......

This is a bad business model. It packs landfills with useless outdated controllers, slows down innovation, and shortchanges the end users.
Dave The One 6:18 PM - 27 March, 2012
Very bad business model. These controllers cost as much as the technics 1200's and are not disposable. Software and Firmware updates can take care of any additional features and add-ons are always welcome.

The slice feature is already in itch;
How would they include it?
Put a slice function right near the sp6 and fx buttons, You can trigger the slices using the 10 cue buttons on the ns6 controller just like you use them to trigger the sp6 or be able to use the lpd8 or sp6 as a controller once the alive function is selected.

It can easily be done.
Dave The One 6:20 PM - 27 March, 2012
Correction "once the slice function is selected"

and where is the Bridge for itch?

Now that video is out of the way I hope The Bridge and The slice feature are included in the next live update.
dj lashes 6:25 PM - 27 March, 2012
Quote:

Now that video is out of the way I hope The Bridge and The slice feature are included in the next live update.

as he said.....
KamiCrazy 10:25 PM - 27 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Overall this is a side effect of the ITCH business model, you need that specific controller if you want those specific features......

This is a bad business model. It packs landfills with useless outdated controllers, slows down innovation, and shortchanges the end users.

I'm not here to debate with you whether I think the ITCH business model is good or not. I don't own shares in Serato and I don't really care as long as I am happy with my product.

However it is short sighted in saying that it is a bad business model. ITCH makes money by receiving royalties from hardware sales.
Adding new features to the software and making you upgrade to the newest controller to use them is a win/win for both software and hardware manufacturers.
djallstyle 10:44 PM - 27 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not here to debate with you whether I think the ITCH business model is good or not. I don't own shares in Serato and I don't really care as long as I am happy with my product.

However it is short sighted in saying that it is a bad business model. ITCH makes money by receiving royalties from hardware sales.
Adding new features to the software and making you upgrade to the newest controller to use them is a win/win for both software and hardware manufacturers.

True..
Dave The One 10:51 PM - 27 March, 2012
All good! I sent Novation's Twitch toy controller back with no regrets! They can keep the slicer if that's their business model; I discovered that I can do the same thing with my cue points/loops on my decks and in the sp6 in sync mode with loops enabled. Novation and Vestax can keep their slicer toys.
Dave The One 10:56 PM - 27 March, 2012
Sorry for the strong post, that's just my feeling on the matter. If Serato wants to hold features like that back from people who spent good amounts of money on their controllers it'll just be a matter of time before they migrate to other platforms.
revancheX 11:07 PM - 27 March, 2012
/nod/ The NS6 ability to move the loop section around is almost as good as the slice. On the other hand, I hope we'll soon be able to buy an add-on similar to the NSP6 prototype.

Has anyone tried plugging in a Twitch while they have an NS6 connected? My VFX-1 works fine this way.
djallstyle 11:46 PM - 27 March, 2012
Well, I believe the 380 will take over for a little bit. I returned my 400 & The fact that it doesn't work w/Itch it it's only problem. Sound & features are top notch.. The new effects will & can change alot of things I prefer w/mixing (production, creative mix transitions etc.) the 380 will allow me to do that.
DJ Urkel Dee 3:23 AM - 28 March, 2012
Quote:
Correction "once the slice function is selected"

+ 1
DTHUSTLA 7:40 AM - 9 April, 2012
Quote:
Very bad business model. These controllers cost as much as the technics 1200's and are not disposable. Software and Firmware updates can take care of any additional features and add-ons are always welcome.

The slice feature is already in itch;
How would they include it?
Put a slice function right near the sp6 and fx buttons, You can trigger the slices using the 10 cue buttons on the ns6 controller just like you use them to trigger the sp6 or be able to use the lpd8 or sp6 as a controller once the alive function is selected.

It can easily be done.

+100000000

I dont know what the hold up with all of these simple issues with ITCH are. But I loke a few others, have seen the SLICER in TWITCH and am wondering as a ns7 user who is utilizing the same software is not able to use the same function...

I love my NS7FX, But come on Serato, git it together... I can't use a Dicer, and cant utilize a feature that the dude over there with a different controller usuing the same program as me & you all won't free up a midi mappable plugin that will allow us users to do it ourselves... NOT A GOOD LOOK SERATO!
seratosnatch 10:45 AM - 9 April, 2012
For me it would make sense if Novation made a "Slicer"..simple add on usb slice pads for Itch
and maybe extra sampler controls.
Dj Yve 1:38 PM - 9 April, 2012
Quote:
All good! I sent Novation's Twitch toy controller back with no regrets! They can keep the slicer if that's their business model; I discovered that I can do the same thing with my cue points/loops on my decks and in the sp6 in sync mode with loops enabled. Novation and Vestax can keep their slicer toys.

i dont know if really comment on such post
really man?
really?!
and calling the twitch a toy... im sorry but thats just playing with fire
the twich pretty much opened the way for the new generation, the vci380 is the proof
the Slicer is a powerfull tool, one that when i use it makes the crowd go wild cuz they hear someone doing live preformence and remixing right on the stage, its Djing space age...
and calling one of the most innovative work tools a Toy, to me, its just show how unflexable mind one has.
and flexable mind is somthing extremly importent on our time, things move fast, really fast. keep up or be left behind.
think about it, and i took my time and wrote this comment cuz i got the impression that you are an exprienced DJ and not some rookie that talks Shit.
so take it into considiration.
have fun, play from the soul.

Quote:
For me it would make sense if Novation made a "Slicer"..simple add on usb slice pads for Itch

better for novation that people will buy the twitch no? cost more, more profit...=)
Dj Yve 1:44 PM - 9 April, 2012
sorry for the 2x Post didnt notice this post!

Quote:
The slicer is a sweet effect... Wonder why it's a Twitch only... Because of the number of pads?

yeah, think about this...
slicer basicly takes the track and slice it to 8 parts
now you need to have parameter control (touchstrip) to control how big the parts are (could be even an entire song if you beatgrid in that purpose in mind!)
and you need 8 pads 1 for each part of the sliced section.
its hard to put it on another controllers cuz none got the hardware needed
XRM5 4:53 PM - 9 April, 2012
It's not hard. They just don't want to do it.

The touchstrip might be the best way to control the slicer, but even if that was the problem everybody else could just make one in TouchOSC or Lemur and use their iphone/ipad.

Serato's hardline stance on this better just be a show to keep us guessing while they get ready to blow everyone away with some new release.
seratosnatch 8:36 PM - 9 April, 2012
I wish the slicer mode could have some velocity control, so when one presses hard down on a pad, the beat would stop and freeze..could be mad with fx.
DTHUSTLA 10:04 AM - 14 April, 2012
Quote:
sorry for the 2x Post didnt notice this post!

Quote:

yeah, think about this...
slicer basicly takes the track and slice it to 8 parts
now you need to have parameter control (touchstrip) to control how big the parts are (could be even an entire song if you beatgrid in that purpose in mind!)
and you need 8 pads 1 for each part of the sliced section.
its hard to put it on another controllers cuz none got the hardware needed

This is why they should make these components open to mapping... We should be able to map that to an external device...
Dave The One 3:11 PM - 14 April, 2012
Traktor 2.5 I'm already excited.
DTHUSTLA 4:45 AM - 19 April, 2012
Any progress on getting this freed up for NS7 users?
Dj Yve 5:18 AM - 19 April, 2012
Quote:
Any progress on getting this freed up for NS7 users?

Nevha!
Dave The One 12:37 PM - 19 April, 2012
just. bought Traktor from NI website, 89.00 w free upgrade to 2.5; so far it's amazing.
I'm using my mpd 32 with it. I'm going to get the nanopad 2 for portability.
Dj Yve 5:12 PM - 19 April, 2012
Quote:
just. bought Traktor from NI website, 89.00 w free upgrade to 2.5; so far it's amazing.
I'm using my mpd 32 with it. I'm going to get the nanopad 2 for portability.

traktor is nice yeah...
the only thing could rival 2.5
is Britch [bride itch]
anything lower then that is... meh :(
Dave The One 5:33 PM - 19 April, 2012
The fact that I can midi map all this gear I have laying around (apc 40, mpd 32, axiom pro) with Traktor is a god send. I'm not a fan of the UI; not pleasing to the eye and the layouts for the decks leave much to be desired.

I still love Serato Itch but the "buy twitch or other controllers to get the beat slice feature" is ridiculous.

Suggestion
For the NS6 to have similar features that can be done with traktor and beat slice mode:
Add a beat slice button similar to the SP6 button in serato itch and/or
on the NS6 Double tap the shift button to keep it engaged so that I can free up my hand to juggle my loops and to quickly be able to do things in auto loop mode when I want to break down my loop and keep it in time and be able to get to my effects easier; this could also allow for the beat slice feature to be implemented. Example double tap the hot cue/shift for loop juggling and auto loop break downs; then by taking it out of auto loop mode we can have the beat slice mode using the 1/2, 2x, Loop shift < and > and In, Out, select, reloop (1,2,3,4) or maybe use the hot cue buttons (1 - 5) with a combination of the above.

Or sell me something like the LPD8 or an LPD 16 (similar looking to the Kontrol F1 or Nanopad2) to add on to my NS6 or others with NS7, Xone etc.. to unlock these features.

Cmon Serato, are you listening?
DTHUSTLA 12:59 AM - 20 April, 2012
Quote:

Cmon Serato, are you listening?

Doesn't seem like it...
Dave The One 10:22 AM - 20 April, 2012
Seratos silence an only mean that they are only interested in selling controllers and ate perfectly content with that business model.
Dave The One 10:22 AM - 20 April, 2012
are
phatbob 11:36 AM - 20 April, 2012
They've said in help threads that midi mapping is high on their list of priorities. It will show up eventually.
DTHUSTLA 11:59 AM - 20 April, 2012
Quote:
They've said in help threads that midi mapping is high on their list of priorities. It will show up eventually.

Im sure it will... Just a matter of time...
Dave The One 6:21 PM - 20 April, 2012
That's good news if it's true and what about slice mode?
BKDJ 7:26 PM - 20 April, 2012
anybody else ever delete a cue point while holding shift to juggle loops? whoops. i wish i would've done a little more homework before buying the NS6 and itch, cause it seems Traktor is a much better platform for on the fly remixing. The sp-6 isn't even a true sampler, it's a sample player... so i gotta resort to another program such as traktor/logic/garage band to pre-make samples since serato decided not to make a record function on their so called "sampler??" That is RETARDED. I have my LPD8 working in conjunction with the ns6, however it's fairly useless. I could control the cue points, but there are already cue point buttons on ns6... I could control looping, but they are there too (Not to mention you still have to hold down shift on the ns6 to glitch with LPD8 pads.) I could use it for the SP6, but I guess I don't get the concept of a sample player without a record function... i mean, is it intended for airhorns and bassdrops and that's it? lol. Also, there isn't a way to save loop points is there? I mean, these seem to be basic issues that for whatever reason were emitted from itch. I'm prettyy sure you can set and save loop points separately from cue points in scratch live and traktor, right? I have traktor, but i'm sitting here with this $700 (i got a player deal from guitar center friend) NS6 designed for itch, and the only midi mapping i found for traktor is fairly dysfunctional...
BKDJ 7:29 PM - 20 April, 2012
not to mention the lack of effects... every other program kills itch in that department, and don't think they will ever add effects either, because the vestax effects controller has the effects printed on it...
Dave The One 7:36 PM - 20 April, 2012
Unique squared has a pretty cool midi mapping for the ns6 at:
www.uniquesquared.com

Here is a tutorial for how to import it:
www.uniquesquared.com

Having to hold the shift button down to glitch and loop juggle is ridiculous.

BKDJ; are you from Brooklyn? PM me if so; don't give up on your NS6, I have some questions about your use of the LPD8; PM me, i'm trying to link up with NS6, V7, NS7 owners. I just bought Traktor and it's nice but it's nowhere near Serato Itch; Serato just needs to work some things out for Itch and all of the Numark controllers and give us midi mapping; if they do that I'll kick a tire because of the 89.00 I spent on traktor but at least I have some experience with Traktor.

Peace

Dave
BKDJ 7:53 PM - 20 April, 2012
yea, i have that mapping, it's okay but idk... plus the platter control is super "loose" with the ns6 in traktor. itch is what i use the most still, but i think with the proper controller (controllers, since you can do that with traktor) I could learn to love it. I guess I feel a bit neglected as an itch owner, they won't even make a bridge like they have for scratch live... and to charge an extra $150 for video? lol, i'll just use Virtual Dj for now if I come across a club that requires video for now.

No, I'm not from Brooklyn, those are just my initials. I should've thought of that before picking a name for this forum, people ask me that all the time on Xbox live too. lol.
Dave The One 7:57 PM - 20 April, 2012
It's strange; the more I play with Traktor the more I wish Itch can do what it does. How did you get that LPD 8 to work in itch?
BKDJ 8:04 PM - 20 April, 2012
yea, i got that impression the first time i messed with traktor. you can do it by using a midi monitor and keystroke to midi mapping program, there are vids on youtube i believe.. or you could cheat and watch this video. there is a link to a free download below the video. They are using an ipad to control it, so just skip the first half of the video. Super simple. Just make sure you leave mitch running in the background while using itch...
youtu.be
BKDJ 8:05 PM - 20 April, 2012
also, idk how to get the knobs to work, this is just for the pads.
Dave The One 8:10 PM - 20 April, 2012
I'll definitely look into this; I have a friend that works at Google here in the city that is great for figuring things out that I bring to him!
BKDJ 8:13 PM - 20 April, 2012
serato.com that's the forum from the guy who created it. it's really pretty badass, but i find it kinda useless for my application. also, it's only for mac osx...
Dave The One 8:15 PM - 20 April, 2012
Cool if there's a similar program for the pc hopefully i can get that to work too. Shame we have to go this route.
BKDJ 8:22 PM - 20 April, 2012
yep. for pc you gotta download midi monitor and midi translator i believe. gotta program it manually, there are videos out there about it.
BKDJ 8:27 PM - 20 April, 2012
midi stroke, not midi translator
BKDJ 8:34 PM - 20 April, 2012
www.djtechtools.com found the link.
Dave The One 9:16 PM - 20 April, 2012
I just know tech tools can create a phenomenal map for the ns6 but won't because of favor toward Traktor specific controllers. It's all good; it's time for techtools and djworx to get some competition from a neutral.blog and build tools for all djs not just special interests.
CBSDJDAVE 12:14 AM - 21 April, 2012
Look up the New Numark 4trak controller estimated to be release 1st quarter 2012, I seen it at the Namm show it is exactly like the NS6 but with a brush aluminum look and added affect bar on top like the NS7, Made to work with traktor software, So if your into traktor sell your NS6 and get this New 4 trak.
DTHUSTLA 2:04 AM - 21 April, 2012
Quote:

better for novation that people will buy the twitch no? cost more, more profit...=)

Just like they have the Dicer for SL & Traktor. Slicer should be for ITCH
Dave The One 2:07 AM - 21 April, 2012
IMO brushed aluminum is tacky; cheap looking. Others may find it to their liking.
The 4 track doesn't appeal to me at all; I'm good with my ns6 and workaround mapping.
I'm not a scratch dj so I'm really good w my ns6 and Traktor.

I think the whole 4track is ridiculous; a waste of time; but numark Serato and native instruments are trying to make money of off new jacks. They could keep that crap business model. They're just cheapening their controllers by not making a classic like the sl 1200's that will always be the standard and classic weapon of choice for all dj's. I thought the ns7 v7's ns6 would be that but I'm obviously wrong. they're just going to keep pumping out controllers. This is a shyty time for dj's.
DTHUSTLA 2:44 AM - 21 April, 2012
Quote:
They're just cheapening their controllers by not making a classic like the sl 1200's that will always be the standard and classic weapon of choice for all dj's.

+1
dj lashes 5:33 AM - 21 April, 2012
Quote:
Look up the New Numark 4trak controller estimated to be release 1st quarter 2012, I seen it at the Namm show it is exactly like the NS6 but with a brush aluminum look and added affect bar on top like the NS7, Made to work with traktor software, So if your into traktor sell your NS6 and get this New 4 trak.

HELL NO SERATO WATCH THIS VIDEO AT 26sec "Strip Search working fine" when you try that with the ns6 it goes crazy and put you anywhere it likes on the track, so if traktor can do this which many people here been asking for as the needle drop is 98% of the time useless this is gonna be one more -1 for you step up your game.......
www.youtube.com!
Dave The One 12:35 PM - 21 April, 2012
Hmm I don't rely on the strip search function at all; Its probably a firmware issue
that can be resolved with an update but won't because they want to sell new jacks the same controller twice. My strip search in Serato itch works just find though if I need to use it; I have cue points set on all my tracks so I usually get what I need quicker than strip search.

The one feature that I liked on the pioneer ddjs1 demo was that it drops the needle strip search function on beat; I think twitch does this too.

I appreciate the build of the 4 track but not the brushed aluminum look.
if it were black I'd be hatin! lol
dj lashes 5:54 PM - 21 April, 2012
Quote:
Hmm I don't rely on the strip search function at all;

same here more but some times i come up with mix in my mind and know where i need to be and would be cool if i could run my finger it the pointlol
Quote:
Its probably a firmware issue that can be resolved with an update

if you ask serato they will say its working fine as its not meant to strip search but needle drop which is useless if it does not drop on beat.
Quote:
My strip search in Serato itch works just fine

run finger up and down the strip a few time am sure we all got the same ns6 lol
Dave The One 4:57 AM - 26 April, 2012
This slice feature among other things needs to make it into the next update. I'm a few days into Traktor and I can't believe how itch stacks up but falls behind due to locking features for specific controllers. Give me beat slice and midi mapping please, beat synced effects,
More effects like beatmasher and beatslicer, and the bridge for the mix tape feature.
In te meantime more experimenting with traktor.....
DTHUSTLA 5:25 PM - 26 April, 2012
Lets go Serato, its clear the masses want the beat slicer, midi mapping and the bridge... Make it happen...
Maskrider 8:46 PM - 26 April, 2012
Serato will have another controller for those extra features..........lol Like this thing will be a forever issue.
serkan 8:03 AM - 27 April, 2012
Now I have an idea!
I'm going to design a controller for ITCH with 8-deck support, dedicated controls for the Bridge and throw a dozen of knobs, buttons and faders in. Just in case for future updates...

Or with other words:
There are only two ways for Serato and their partners:
1 - Stop developing the software forever
2 - Make new hardware for new features

I don't know about you but I'm all for 2
Dave The One 1:14 PM - 27 April, 2012
^^^
I don't know about you but I already have the hardware for that, Its called the NS6, I can control 4 decks easily with the platters and 24 sp6 sampler decks with the shift and cue buttons; oh and I also have an akai apc 40 that I already use with ableton live that has 8 line faders plus a master fader and a replaceable cross fader (ns6 has replaceable cross fader too)) and it also has 63 pads, 41 buttons and 17 knobs and it already works with the bridge for serato scratch live along with other hardware like the novation dicer.

You can buy all the hardware that serato and it's partners make; midi mapping will do just fine for the rest of us!
serkan 4:47 PM - 29 April, 2012
Sure, MIDI mapping would be cool. As much as flying cars.
The philosophy behind ITCH doesn't allow MIDI. It's 1:1 and that's what we knew from the beginning.
Plus: Slicer needs 8 pads and more controls (like the touch strip and a button for activating the function itself). But you don't have the needed controls on an NS6.
Dave The One 6:40 PM - 29 April, 2012
Right now the sp6 works with the 6 samplers divided 3 on the left and 3 on the right with cue 4 an 5 allowing you to access te extra banks. The 8 slots needed can work the same way for slice mode allowing cue buttons 1-4 on each side for the needed tasks of triggering the slices. You can hold the cue 5 button or shift button and use the touch strip or use the reverse bleep or shift button along to engage the pitch fader to resize your slice.
There are ways to do it for controllers like the ns6. The sp6 control wasn't expected to work but it did.

Ps I'm using the ns6 with Traktor perfectly, I even have the led's spinning around the platters. The sample decks need some work though; I'm almost 100 percent with my ns6.
Maskrider 6:55 PM - 29 April, 2012
That is why they come up with VCI380 and Twitch for this feature which I find it really confusing like the controller that is being released and the ITCH features is like a hit and miss if your not careful about choosing the features you like.

How does the manufacturer and the Software company talk to each other about future improvements.....SERATO " We got some new stuff in the lab right now but it's not ready yet so go ahead and make a controller that will cater to the Djs now" Manufacturer " Ok no problem we will make one again if that thing comes up"
Dave The One 7:09 PM - 29 April, 2012
Again the NS6 is more than capable of delivering that feature.