DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Simple lighting setup for $200?

a DJ 5:33 AM - 11 December, 2007
I'm looking to spend $200 on some very simple lighting. Last 3 dances, the lighting was handled by student council, but now I'm looking to get at least something to get started with some lighting. Those LED lights are nice, but most of them look like you gotta hook it up to a truss or something high up. I've let em put lights on a wooden plank between the speakers (i know.. i really didn't want to.. so risky lol, but it held up all night)

I know $200 won't really get me anything, but I just wanna have at least something. It's okay if it's simple. Hopefully I'll be able to add to it, I won't have to get rid of it later because it's not good enough.

I've noticed just some simple strobes and other lights and disco balls are decent and people are happy enough with it, but I haven't really been paying attention to how it's set up.

What do you suggest? Thanks.
Discobee 6:24 AM - 11 December, 2007
i'm not advertising mods...just simply answering a DJ's question....

a DJ try this site: www.eliminatorlightingdirect.com

looks like there are some things for under $200
sixxx 6:40 AM - 11 December, 2007
Google Chauvet... then look for stuff that's sound activated. You'll find a lot of stuff under $100.00. Get two of them and you're set for the night. It's simple. Easy to carry and it won't break your bank.
FU_PAY_ME 11:03 PM - 11 December, 2007
I say buy on of them cheap packages that Chauvet or American Dj makes. You can probably gt 3 - 4 lights for around $200. You won't get nothing hot or special, but at least you will have something.

You can also look to buy used lights
Nappa 3:25 PM - 12 December, 2007
Has anybody used the Chauvet PK1-BANK Rock-N' Lite Stage Lighting Package (www.guitarcenter.com) I'm looking for something more portable and $300.00 isn't that bad if I don't have to hook up a truss for my mobile gigs.
DJ-A 4:08 PM - 12 December, 2007
Post what you're looking at here, and we can tell you if it's worth it or not. one thing i dont like about shopping for lights online is that sometimes they look cool, but when you see them in person THEY SUCK.

So, look around, find some things that look reasonable to you, and we'll help you out when you have some specifics.
DJ Lil Vito 4:40 PM - 12 December, 2007
I have a huge lightshow with Martin scanners, a laser and LED strobes. I needed a smaller lightshow setup for weddings and events that didn't demand a huge setup.

I went to djsupply.com and bought two Chauvet colorsplash LED par cans and an American DJ Reflex LED scanner for $305 shipped. I already have a T-Bar, which would have added about $60 but $350 for a nice, small lightshow that will fill a room with color and effects isn't bad in my opinion.

If you're really looking to spend $200 or less you can easily get two standard par cans with color gels and a vertigo for about that price if you look at cheaplights.com

Or, if you'd like you can get a package like this:

www.djsupply.com

And add this:

www.djsupply.com

That'll do the trick and do it cheap.
DJ-A 4:43 PM - 12 December, 2007
^^i think those lights suck... they just blink, reminds me of a christmas tree that has shitty blinking lights... but its not that cool
DJ Lil Vito 4:58 PM - 12 December, 2007
Quote:
^^i think those lights suck... they just blink, reminds me of a christmas tree that has shitty blinking lights... but its not that cool

+1,000. Agreed.

I was just helping a dude out.
FU_PAY_ME 10:20 PM - 12 December, 2007
So we can all agree that a DJ should just save his money and just buy some x-mas lighs.

Fuck it, I say go old school and buy 2 police beacons and a $20 strobe
DJ-A 10:53 PM - 12 December, 2007
stringing some x-mas lights could be cool...
tehBEN 10:57 PM - 12 December, 2007
Quote:
Google Chauvet... then look for stuff that's sound activated. You'll find a lot of stuff under $100.00. Get two of them and you're set for the night. It's simple. Easy to carry and it won't break your bank.

w0rd, these are mine:
Watchwww.youtube.com

2 Intimidators for 200 bucks.
djrhouse 11:24 PM - 12 December, 2007
Man, someone must have been to one of my gigs :) I use two police beacons, one on top of each speaker and the crowd loves it. My crowds are old drunks who love to party. As long as you can't see their faces when they act like fools, they are happy.

Electronicscity has some good stuff and they have free shipping.

Time to upgrade my lights :)
DJDFECT 12:38 AM - 13 December, 2007
American DJ vertigo's are the only shit light worth buying. They are 60 dollars and you throw them out when they break to buy new ones.
It is pathetic that the low end lighting companies have so many useless models. I keep vertigo's at home, in my dorm, and at the DJ office just in case. You can even mount them onto a speaker stand without buying clamps, but it looks kind of dumb.
a DJ 3:31 AM - 13 December, 2007
Thanks everyone.

I'm leaning towards an intimitador and a vertigo. Where did you get the intimidators for 200, tehBEN? I can only find it for 150 each.

I'll probably get a light stand too. I can't really use lights if they're not on a stand lol. There's not always a place to hang it.
seven2wo 4:45 AM - 13 December, 2007
i just got the reflex led for 170 at guitar center...its a pretty decent light for the price. It doesnt heat up and you can leave it on all night
DJDFECT 5:43 AM - 13 December, 2007
vertigooooooooooooo
marknonsense1 5:55 AM - 13 December, 2007
a DJ. I know just what you need! Let me go find out what the namez are but it's two light with one stand! It's a set up I'm going to get too.
marknonsense1 6:18 AM - 13 December, 2007
2 CHAUVET CYBORG with a Odyssey Tripod Lighting Stand with Crossbar! You can get this here www.americanmusical.com

Here this make help as far as looking for chauvet lights only (NOTE: I would go americandj but the two lights I said here are good I've used them b4) www.chauvetlighting.com
Nappa 2:52 PM - 13 December, 2007
Quote:
2 CHAUVET CYBORG with a Odyssey Tripod Lighting Stand with Crossbar! You can get this here www.americanmusical.com

Here this make help as far as looking for chauvet lights only (NOTE: I would go americandj but the two lights I said here are good I've used them b4) www.chauvetlighting.com

That's a great idea.
dj skraps 4:26 PM - 13 December, 2007
Quote:
American DJ vertigo's are the only shit light worth buying. They are 60 dollars and you throw them out when they break to buy new ones.
It is pathetic that the low end lighting companies have so many useless models. I keep vertigo's at home, in my dorm, and at the DJ office just in case. You can even mount them onto a speaker stand without buying clamps, but it looks kind of dumb.

I'd go with the Vertigos too, actually i have 2, cheap and work great
DJ KEVLAR 7:37 PM - 13 December, 2007
How long can you run the vertigo's before having to cycle to another light? Doo they over heat?
dj skraps 7:39 PM - 13 December, 2007
I have them going 4-5 hours no problem at all, no overheating.
DJ-A 7:59 PM - 13 December, 2007
they do get hot. they are reccomended to cycly after 10-20 minutes. they have 2 300 watt bulbs in them
DJ KEVLAR 8:11 PM - 13 December, 2007
Quote:
I have them going 4-5 hours no problem at all, no overheating.

Cool I was always curious cause when I rent em they tell me to cycle them. I try to but some times get caught in the mix and forget. Apparently no need to worry as long as they are out of reach of peoples hands I guess.
DJ-A 8:13 PM - 13 December, 2007
keeping them on for longer periods of time will shorten the life of the bulb.
DJ-A 8:13 PM - 13 December, 2007
p.s. each bulb will run about $25
DJ KEVLAR 8:26 PM - 13 December, 2007
So when I buy em cycle em but till then leave those rentals runnin!!! lol
DJ-A 8:42 PM - 13 December, 2007
^^pretty much...
Certified Quality Entertainment 8:54 PM - 13 December, 2007
Quote:
p.s. each bulb will run about $25

I wish that is all my bulbs cost. I have a Martin Wizard, replacement lamp for that is $160 at pssl.com
DJ-A 9:04 PM - 13 December, 2007
i wonder if there are any inteligent lights in the works that use LED lights
dj skraps 9:11 PM - 13 December, 2007
Quote:
they do get hot. they are reccomended to cycly after 10-20 minutes. they have 2 300 watt bulbs in them

they do get mighty hot to the touch...i never knew to cycle em, been using em (4 hours or so nonstop) for like a year and a half, never encounterd a prob.
Certified Quality Entertainment 10:07 PM - 13 December, 2007
Quote:

I think there are a bunch actually. Not 100% sure, but I could have sworn I saw a few around.
DJ Lil Vito 10:08 PM - 13 December, 2007
Quote:

In the works? There's a ton out already. In fact most LED's are DMX. They've even got moving heads and scanners with LEDs.
DJ-A 10:10 PM - 13 December, 2007
the moving heads and scanners are what i was thinking...
ienycepnoyi 11:25 PM - 13 December, 2007
vertigo. or the newer linkable version epsilon. basically same thing but you can link them together
mikep 11:51 PM - 13 December, 2007
I saw a vertigo at GC that had the plastic color piece melted from running all day. I have a vertigo and a mushroom (substituted for a second vertigo order by vendor). The mushroom is the same without the extra bulb that came with the vertigo and the sensitivity knob.
Logisticalstyles 12:51 AM - 14 December, 2007
I work in a bar and I run my light from 9:30 til 3:30 nonstop on Friday and Saturday. I had this setup for 6 months and I just changed my first bulbs last week. So far I have:

American DJ Reflex $30(used)
American DJ ColorPod $70
American DJ Laser Widow $60
Chauvet moonflower type light that came in a package deal with the strobe and black light. $ 50

The bulbs for the Reflex and the Colorpod only cost $9.00

My next move will be either a Vertigo or a Led Spot light.
tehBEN 5:12 AM - 14 December, 2007
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

Where did you get the intimidators for 200, tehBEN? I can only find it for 150 each.

Musician's friend had a big ass sale and I jumped on it before they pulled the misprint LOL.
FU_PAY_ME 2:51 PM - 14 December, 2007
I still say you should go with the X-mas lights to flood the room with, 2 police beacons and a $20 strobe. And if you want to get all fancy add a black light . . .not a real black light but a few black light blubs. Your will be way under budget and you can use the money saved to take your girl friend or wife our for a night on the town.

I couldn't see myself tying to hook up a lighting set-up with a $200 budget
DJDFECT 3:35 PM - 14 December, 2007
why would anyone who actually paid 500 for dj software bring themself down to using christmas lights?
DJ-A 3:37 PM - 14 December, 2007
Quote:
why would anyone who actually paid 500 for dj software bring themself down to using christmas lights?

LOL isnt that the truth...
2FAST4U 7:28 PM - 14 December, 2007
Get a bunch of coffee cans and put lights in them, works great!
dj skraps 8:22 PM - 14 December, 2007
candles?
DJDFECT 12:51 AM - 15 December, 2007
2FAST4U, i've seen coffee can par can's before.. no joke. I like when dj's use the flood lights at home depot too. those are great. Or ropelight draped around their console. that's a fun one.
I just got 4 martin mac 250's..
Logisticalstyles 1:00 AM - 15 December, 2007
Guitar Center has that light package in a box with a strobe, moonflower, and Smoke machine for $69.00 until Sunday.
DjWoody 1:21 AM - 15 December, 2007
I have two American DJ Aggressor's and they work perfect.
a DJ 3:12 AM - 15 December, 2007
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm definitely getting that lighting stand. I'll probably get cheap American DJ or Chauvet lights, then eventually get a LED one (Revo or something similar). $200 isn't actually a strict budget, I guess it would be more like $250. And this is just starting out, I'll probably get more soon. That's why I don't wanna buy a lotta extremely cheap stuff (like xmas lights, although I have been seeing that a few times).

Quote:
Chauvet moonflower type light that came in a package deal with the strobe and black light. $ 50

Where did you get that?
DJ-A 5:39 AM - 15 December, 2007
dude! you can get a lot of x-mas lights for $200!
a DJ 9:56 PM - 25 December, 2007
Actually I think I'm willing to spend a bit more for an LED light that will cover a lotta ground. What model should I get? I don't think I wanna get something as expensive as the Revo because I also need to get a lighting stand, but I'll think about it.
a DJ 1:00 AM - 28 December, 2007
Any suggestions? ^^^
alphaquake 5:53 AM - 28 December, 2007
Quote:
dude! you can get a lot of x-mas lights for $200!

+10
FU_PAY_ME 2:07 PM - 28 December, 2007
Quote:
Actually I think I'm willing to spend a bit more for an LED light that will cover a lotta ground. What model should I get? I don't think I wanna get something as expensive as the Revo because I also need to get a lighting stand, but I'll think about it.

Real Talk, I was just in the record store the other day and they had LED Police Beacons.
DJDFECT 4:46 PM - 28 December, 2007
There are also LED Christmas lights.. probably half off right now
a DJ 6:40 PM - 28 December, 2007
yall are funny lol.

I guess you didnt read this part:
"$200 isn't actually a strict budget, I guess it would be more like $250."
DJ-A 6:44 PM - 28 December, 2007
Quote:
There are also LED Christmas lights.. probably half off right now

yeah, they have those snow flake ones now too. a big piece of plywood and a ton of those hooked up to a relay to turn them on and off could be pretty sweet. at least till its not winter anymore
a DJ 3:47 AM - 30 December, 2007
Is it a good idea to get lighting fixtures instead of a lighting stand/truss? It would be a lot less labor intensive, less work transporting everything, and I can focus on buying quality lights.

Again, the budget is more like $250, and it's not strict.

I'm thinking an LED light, like the Revo II at least. What do you suggest?
tehBEN 5:44 AM - 30 December, 2007
Quote:
Is it a good idea to get lighting fixtures instead of a lighting stand/truss? It would be a lot less labor intensive, less work transporting everything, and I can focus on buying quality lights.

if you get quality lights, how are you going to present them? On the floor? You need something to hold them up, most of those quality fixtures are designed to be "flyable" meaning they look better up high on a truss or stand. Don't cheap out, save some cash and do it right.
DJDFECT 5:44 AM - 30 December, 2007
cheap out and you will replace it. Or you will suck.
DJ Lil Vito 6:07 AM - 30 December, 2007
Quote:
cheap out and you will replace it.

+8million

I bought great lights and a cheap stand and have since replaced the stand. If I bought it right the first time I could have saved a few bucks.

As DJ's we hate when people nickel and dime us, so why would we do the same with our equipment?
a DJ 4:29 PM - 30 December, 2007
True I understand. How do you tell a quality stand from a cheap one? Just by price?
These two are fine right:
www.americanmusical.com
www.djsupply.com
They seem portable enough.

Also, how do you know the lights are good quality? Again I'm guessing mostly price, and I have to do specific research. Can you give me an idea of decent quality? I'm probably gonna go with the Revo II, but I just wanna get an idea of other lights.
DJDFECT 5:14 PM - 30 December, 2007
Rule number 3894831 with lighting. American DJ and Chauvet are DJ grade.. Odyssey copied ADJ and Chauvet.
Be careful with those stands, if you dont balance the lights properly they will rock if the lights move at all.. I used to keep mine 100 percent symmetrical.
DJ-A 5:38 PM - 30 December, 2007
anyone know where i can get just the cross bar?
a DJ 5:53 PM - 30 December, 2007
Quote:
Rule number 3894831 with lighting. American DJ and Chauvet are DJ grade.. Odyssey copied ADJ and Chauvet.
Be careful with those stands, if you dont balance the lights properly they will rock if the lights move at all.. I used to keep mine 100 percent symmetrical.

Thanks.

Okay I'll keep them symmetrical. Or is there a better type of stand that is just as portable, and about the same price?
DJ Lil Vito 6:55 PM - 30 December, 2007
That's a decent, standard t-bar setup. If you want easier setup and a more quality build I'd suggest Ultimate:

djsupply.com

If you buy that stand most dealers will throw in a t-bar. The nice thing about that stand is that it will SAFELY rise to 9 feet. Other stands will only go about 6 or 7 feet and remain sturdy.
DJ Lil Vito 6:57 PM - 30 December, 2007
Quote:
That's a decent, standard t-bar setup. If you want easier setup and a more quality build I'd suggest Ultimate:

djsupply.com

If you buy that stand most dealers will throw in a t-bar. The nice thing about that stand is that it will SAFELY rise to 9 feet. Other stands will only go about 6 or 7 feet and remain sturdy.

I take that back. I'm only 5'5", so thngs always seem taller to me. That stand will raise to 7 feet approx. Other stands will do the same, but not safely.I've gone through about 5 cheap stands in 3 years, and my ts-90's are still rocking,
DJDFECT 7:43 AM - 31 December, 2007
I made T bars today for my LT12 crankstands at homedepot. $$24 each.
FU_PAY_ME 1:50 PM - 31 December, 2007
Quote:

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Big Spender!!!!
FU_PAY_ME 1:52 PM - 31 December, 2007
Quote:

quote]

Time for a classic Hip Hop quote:

BALLINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

"We Fly High" - Jim Jones
DJ-A 3:40 PM - 31 December, 2007
Quote:
I made T bars today for my LT12 crankstands at homedepot. $$24 each.

what did you use to make them? i've looked at some of the plumbing pipes, but i couldnt peice it together like i was hoping
a DJ 6:17 PM - 31 December, 2007
lol goddamn people won't answer without giving a budget then when they do people won't give a serious answer... yall are too much.
Discobee 2:05 AM - 1 January, 2008
Chauvet Vue 2 is an LED centerpiece and can cover a large area: $179 at Guitar Center, then get a stand for $50...and you're good to go for now.
Julls 4:03 AM - 3 January, 2008
Quote:
if you dont balance the lights properly they will rock if the lights move at all.. I used to keep mine 100 percent symmetrical.

What he said!