DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

For Sixty-Two owners....now that the honeymoon is over...

DJJorel 6:48 PM - 12 March, 2012
...what is your HONEST assessment of the Sixty-Two?

For me, the buttons are definitely better than the Sixty-Eight. The cueing took a little bit to get used to, but the controls are generally laid out in an intuitive manner, making the learning curve very easy. The laptop switching is really convenient...no more laptop pizza passing!

I kind of wish that there was some kind of quick visual indicator of the faders being reversed, like a small LED near the reversing switches. I also would like to see some kind of resolution on the Mixtape function on the Bridge. Even though it is not a feature I use often, it would be really cool to have.

Lastly, the mixer itself has a LOT of lights. Sometimes I feel like I'm controlling KITT from Knight Rider and not DJing. But I see the necessity of having those lights...
funkyfresh2012 8:35 PM - 12 March, 2012
I had a weekend with it so far and i love it. I'm impressed on the cue buttons. I like that theres a small amount of travel between presses. It makes it easy to trigger samples/cues. I think the massive amount of lights on the mixer actually helps navigate your way around the mixer in dark settings.

Like many others stating, i do hope they make all buttons midi-assignable. Also, it would have been nice if they placed the channel output meter next to the upfaders like the other Rane mixers, but thats personal preference.
wicked223 11:20 PM - 12 March, 2012
im enjoying mine more and more every day that i play on it and get used to it......

im comming from a 57 and have never touched a 68 so there is somewhat of a learning curve but as i said the more i play on it the more i enjoy it.... and the midi mapping it an obvious thing we will all want im sure...
wicked223 11:21 PM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
I had a weekend with it so far and i love it. I'm impressed on the cue buttons. I like that theres a small amount of travel between presses. It makes it easy to trigger samples/cues. I think the massive amount of lights on the mixer actually helps navigate your way around the mixer in dark settings.

Like many others stating, i do hope they make all buttons midi-assignable. Also, it would have been nice if they placed the channel output meter next to the upfaders like the other Rane mixers, but thats personal preference.

yah i would have liked some meters next to the pgm faders too......
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:05 AM - 13 March, 2012
I like it soo much I am buying another...

Anyone wanna buy a 57 or 909? ;)
Sen 12:46 AM - 13 March, 2012
I'm having a good time with it too
Trinicapone 3:08 AM - 13 March, 2012
I love my 62!
It sound better
Performs better
Its all that I need and want in a serato mixer. My biggest thing is how the mixer lights up in the dark like so www.flickr.com
Seeeeeeeeeeexiness!
Cues are nice!
DJKayce 3:26 AM - 13 March, 2012
Coming off from Rane Empath, I love the 62 so much. The lights on the mixer are awesome. The cues/sample buttons are perfect & easy to reach.
Much head room than my empath.
Sold my sl3 & empath for this mixer.
The more I play on it, the more I like it better.
One word for it = SEXY
DJUnknown 3:36 PM - 13 March, 2012
Only complaint so far (aside from assigning the buttons) is that I have been using the flex efx loop feature as mastering for EQ since the TTM 54 days, and now I can't record the equalized sound in Serato and still use my effects properly (like I did with the 57). I see that it has been suggested before that serato have a built in EQ and enhancer/analyzer, they could make the Rane ones a built in-plug in.
Dj Markus 4:54 PM - 13 March, 2012
62 is a beast, def more pros than cons. Some minor issues I hope they fix asap are:

- Low Headphone Volume
- Gains are too sensitive
- Output seems really high

Otherwise, great job Rane!
hersh20 5:57 PM - 13 March, 2012
coming from the 57, the 62 feels like a natural progression. some quirky things but it will just take some getting use to. nothing i can see that i dont like.
wicked223 11:25 PM - 13 March, 2012
Quote:
62 is a beast, def more pros than cons. Some minor issues I hope they fix asap are:

- Low Headphone Volume

i have to agree with those cons also
Dj 2 Cool C 2:02 AM - 14 March, 2012
Mixer is awesome!!!

Hands down mixer of the year!!!!
Kevin "Soulkhitect" Gibson 4:21 AM - 14 March, 2012
THE 62 IS THE NEW STANDARD - using a conventional setup,... then going to a NS7 ....the 62 is the perfect marriage i dont know what else you can add to make this mixer better for today's changing DJ landscape - FUGGIN EPIC !!!!!
clickclickw00t 5:00 AM - 14 March, 2012
the only thing I'm gonna miss from my 57 are the joysticks. really did love those ...
djkrazyleo 12:52 PM - 14 March, 2012
The 62 is sickkkkkk love everything about the mixer strong output sounds realy clean nice smoothe faders i think i might propose lol.
Konix 3:15 PM - 14 March, 2012
Can't cue preview effects on non-live/playing channel.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:01 PM - 14 March, 2012
For anyone experiencing a low headphone volume.. please list the firmware version on the mixer. You'll find this in the Preference Pane via the control panel (PC) or System Preferences (Mac).
I know we've upgraded the firmware to boost the headphone volume but I'm not sure its available to the public yet.

Quote:

- Low Headphone Volume

I'm curious why someone would say a downside is a high output?
This is a good thing! More headroom = better signal to noise ratio:)
Niro 5:19 PM - 14 March, 2012
- Low Headphone Volume - People are going deaf

- Gains are too sensitive - People are use to auto gain or audio files that aren't too drastic in volume changes, so smaller incremental changes are better.

- Output seems really high - This one I have no answer for, I remember people complaining the signal wasn't hot enough compared to a Pioneer. This is a user control issue.

These are just my opinions, before anyone gets huffy puffy. Thanks
wicked223 11:43 PM - 14 March, 2012
Quote:
For anyone experiencing a low headphone volume.. please list the firmware version on the mixer. You'll find this in the Preference Pane via the control panel (PC) or System Preferences (Mac).
I know we've upgraded the firmware to boost the headphone volume but I'm not sure its available to the public yet.

Quote:

- Low Headphone Volume

im on v1.06 and i dont care what anyone says its too low for me with the way i monitor
damehype 2:50 AM - 15 March, 2012
1.06, perfect in a quiet room... not quite hot enough in the club with On Ears...
WhattaMac 7:31 AM - 15 March, 2012
If you're a video DJ buy a 68 instead... 62 and 2.4 no VSL support & no ME support either....FAIL ....

Yes I do own 68's so I am biased, but if the 61/62 would support VSL & ME I would buy one....
Kepik 8:07 AM - 15 March, 2012
I own a 68 and just got the 62! The buttons are waay better. Love the improved effects (ie. being customizable, especially the dedicated filter knobs). I really dig the dedicated SP-6 buttons. 68 may have customized grouping, but I sometimes lose track on which group I'm in. It would be nice to be able to do that with the 62. Hopefully Serato's working on that. I bought the 68 mainly for the 2 USB ports and the fact I could route my SP6/Bridge on an independent channel. The 62 does all of that.

However, I do use ME...but I don't do a lot of video gigs.

I'll report back my findings on my headphone volume.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:34 PM - 15 March, 2012
Quote:
If you're a video DJ buy a 68 instead... 62 and 2.4 no VSL support & no ME support either....FAIL ....

Yes I do own 68's so I am biased, but if the 61/62 would support VSL & ME I would buy one....

You can download, and use the beta of Serato Video with the 61 and 62 right now --> serato.com
No the 61 and 62 will not support VSL but Serato Video is essentially the same program.
Kepik 10:02 PM - 15 March, 2012
The headphone volume is definitely lower than the 57 or 68. But, I think this is more ideal. I barely ever go past 8 or 9 o'clock position with the 57/68. With the 62, I'm almost at 12 and its already too loud for home use. I'll test it out tomorrow at this bar gig.
DJ'Que 11:59 PM - 18 March, 2012
Quote:

just cant let go huh
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:09 AM - 19 March, 2012
Being away from the forum for a good while and I am now just learning all of the dj fx inside Serato and this Midi maping. I Like it!
Ive been trying to figure out where that Rollout (Slow) coming from, now i know! LOL
Macbook pro does help a lot. My old Toshiba could not handle it.
I know I have Dicers somewhere.... I buy chit and dont use it.

62 = Still Awesome! :)
ral 3:01 PM - 20 March, 2012
hey X, if you dont want the dicer i might take it

after locking myself in the mancave for 1 hour last nite.....(nh/nm)

got the road ready 10" mixer case - removed the removable cable holder (back mixer case) coz the 62 is a little long

1 usb buffer setting in mac now available
noise threshold estimate - jumped all the way to the left!

i was surprised about the size of the cue buttons, its pretty small - its responsive though - but you can feel the difference when hitting an akai mpc compared to the 62 - maybe thats the reason i might add a dicer setup -

pretty led lights - is there a way to change colors?

cue/sample area NEEDS to be midi mapable

sampler own volume/efx rocks

split cue - yey! the headphone volume seems a little low (got the latest firmware) - but i can work it out

konix efx tutorial works great - the robot efx button should be pitch shift - or i guess we can map all this 62 efx and use scratch live efx?

main volume is hot - sounds better

2 usb - played with 2 mbpro back to back and works well - and easy

pre order the performance vinyl (bummer - this should come in the 62 box) coz its still not in store

haven't got a chance to play the serato video - will do in a bit

overall - goodjob rane/serato!

ps - mix emergency :)
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:29 PM - 20 March, 2012
Hey Rex,

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
pre order the performance vinyl (bummer - this should come in the 62 box) coz its still not in store

Those vinyl are not available to Rane. Its owned and distributed solely by Serato.
You-Lee 6:59 PM - 20 March, 2012
OK Everyone. 62z are on the way... :-)
Shaoba McCoy 12:01 PM - 2 November, 2012
I have a 62. I've had one since June 12.

I started with a entry mixer one of the Nurmarks ones and some dicers. I just didn't want the 57 at the time. Out of my price bracket. Never used the 57 considering I was just starting out and moving from tractor to serato.

Then the inexperience crap started happening. Would get to the club and couldn't figure out certain things on the 57. I was making my sets suspect because I was learning the mixer on the fly. I broke down a brought the 62 because I figure with the 57 discontinued clubs would be installing it once there 57 got smashed.

I'm happy I did that. I love my 62 for so many reasons. It is the centerpiece of my studio.

It has also made my understanding of the 57 a lot easier.

I do wish you could control the internal effects directly from the 62 on and off state. I will have to midi map those.

I still keep my Dicers in my bag at all times in case I go to a spot with a unknown mixer. Once you start hitting cue buttons you will never go back. With that said I wish I could turn off the effect routing all together in the 62. To practice with my Dicers and internal effects.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:09 PM - 2 November, 2012
Hey Shaoba,

We're happy to hear you're enjoying your Sixty-Two as much as we do:)

Always nice to hear positive feedback.

Quote:
I do wish you could control the internal effects directly from the 62 on and off state. I will have to midi map those.

It sounds like you do know you can map the controls of the software effects to the mixer but I'm sure what you mean by "on and off state"?
Can you elaborate?

Thanks for the support!
Shaoba McCoy 11:09 PM - 2 November, 2012
Quote:
Hey Shaoba,

We're happy to hear you're enjoying your Sixty-Two as much as we do:)

Always nice to hear positive feedback.

Quote:

It sounds like you do know you can map the controls of the software effects to the mixer but I'm sure what you mean by "on and off state"?
Can you elaborate?

I just mean to be able to control the software effects in serato without mapping them.

Here's a good question-are the effects in the 62 updatable? Can they be internally set to parameters consistent with the izotope effects?

Thanks for the support!
Dj Nyce 4:00 PM - 3 November, 2012
i love the 62, but scratch live software cripples it to the point of me not liking it.

no midi or core audio while scratch live is running. and the slap in the face is that itch and serato dj can do this.
No Handle 10:53 PM - 3 November, 2012
Quote:
i love the 62, but scratch live software cripples it to the point of me not liking it.

no midi or core audio while scratch live is running. and the slap in the face is that itch and serato dj can do this.

I couldn't agree more. With all of the new feature sets being announced for Serato DJ, it's clear that Scratch Live owners are being left in the dust.

What's baffling is that this mixer is built SPECIFICALLY for SSL, and yet its most powerful and touted features (dedicated USB insert for VST effects, MIDI beat clock in/out) don't function when SSL is running! The words "second laptop required" should have been all over the breathless advertising for the Sixty Two, but they're nowhere to be found. And the fact that Serato DJ has those capabilities (not to mention new iZotope effects, sync, beat slicer, decimal BPM, etc) hurts us even more. I have been an SSL disciple for years, but I can't recommend it any more.

Scratch Live is billed as "the ultimate DJ software for professional DJs," and the statement just isn't true any more. There seems to be serious miscommunication (or disinterest) happening between Rane and Serato. It's hard to tell who isn't holding up their end - Rane still makes killer hardware, and Serato clearly has the software chops to make amazing things, but it's professional DJs like me and Nyce that pay the price for their partnership going sour.

What's going on here? Can anyone from Rane or Serato jump in? Will SSL continue to be supported, or should I cash out and get a DDJ SX?
djkurve 12:37 AM - 4 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I couldn't agree more. With all of the new feature sets being announced for Serato DJ, it's clear that Scratch Live owners are being left in the dust.

What's baffling is that this mixer is built SPECIFICALLY for SSL, and yet its most powerful and touted features (dedicated USB insert for VST effects, MIDI beat clock in/out) don't function when SSL is running! The words "second laptop required" should have been all over the breathless advertising for the Sixty Two, but they're nowhere to be found. And the fact that Serato DJ has those capabilities (not to mention new iZotope effects, sync, beat slicer, decimal BPM, etc) hurts us even more. I have been an SSL disciple for years, but I can't recommend it any more.

Scratch Live is billed as "the ultimate DJ software for professional DJs," and the statement just isn't true any more. There seems to be serious miscommunication (or disinterest) happening between Rane and Serato. It's hard to tell who isn't holding up their end - Rane still makes killer hardware, and Serato clearly has the software chops to make amazing things, but it's professional DJs like me and Nyce that pay the price for their partnership going sour.

What's going on here? Can anyone from Rane or Serato jump in? Will SSL continue to be supported, or should I cash out and get a DDJ SX?

+1
Trinicapone 10:27 AM - 4 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I feel the both of you!
You-Lee 3:52 AM - 21 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I feel the both of you!

Yeah,,, What is going on here? I see Serato has not answered this. Hmmm go figure.
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:29 AM - 30 November, 2012
Hey Guys,

Scratch Live customers aren't forgotten about, we will continue to put out new updates. We hope to bring the Serato DJ and Scratch Live experiences even closer in 2013.

We also have something really exciting in the works, which we can talk about more in January, so stay tuned!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:15 AM - 30 November, 2012
^^ That reads like a software merger!

Serato Scratch Live DJ

SSLDJ

Hhmm

Someone pls start the rumor mill! :)
monchi 4:22 AM - 30 November, 2012
Quote:
We also have something really exciting in the works, which we can talk about more in January, so stay tuned!

YEAHHHHH bABY!
djkurve 4:46 AM - 30 November, 2012
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Scratch Live customers aren't forgotten about, we will continue to put out new updates. We hope to bring the Serato DJ and Scratch Live experiences even closer in 2013.

WOOHOO! Oh and still trying to figure out that dam Beast Mode Easter Egg... sigh... LOL!
asthmatic 6:08 AM - 30 November, 2012
Thanks Martin
DJJorel 7:24 AM - 30 November, 2012
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Hmmmm....NAMM is in January...coincidence? I think not...

I'm even more excited to be at the show now!
Trinicapone 10:57 AM - 30 November, 2012
Sounds terrific!
DJ.T.BOOGIE 7:20 AM - 11 December, 2012
Quote:
SSLDJ
Quote:
Sounds terrific!

+1
edsonr 11:17 PM - 14 January, 2013
Quote:
Hey Guys,

It's January....any update?
nik39 11:20 PM - 14 January, 2013
Quote:

C'mon.. we all know.. "End of year", "Xmas", "Beginning of year", "January" means ... NAMM ;)

And we all know NAMM means:

Not
Available until
Mid
May.
Frank Spinatra 1:50 AM - 15 January, 2013
Quote:

Not
Available until
Mid
May.

haha, this made me chuckle.
Code:E 11:05 PM - 18 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

C'mon.. we all know.. "End of year", "Xmas", "Beginning of year", "January" means ... NAMM ;)

Not
Available until
Mid
May.

That us awesome!
trnsprtr 11:10 PM - 18 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Not
Available until
Mid
May.

Genius!! I literally laughed out loud!
BEATDUSTA 2:22 AM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:
Can't cue preview effects on non-live/playing channel.

MMMMMMM ......... I Feel Ya ;(
XRM5 2:33 AM - 26 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

It didn't mean NAMM, apparently....
wicked223 12:55 PM - 27 January, 2013
hmmmmmmmmmmm
No Handle 1:00 AM - 1 February, 2013
Quote:
Hey Guys,

January is drawing to a close. Serato's new releases from NAMM = more toys for toys.

serato.com
Dj Nyce 1:38 AM - 1 February, 2013
january is over #fail
Trinicapone 2:32 AM - 1 February, 2013
Quote:
january is over #fail

Didn't they know!
BERTO 4:44 AM - 1 February, 2013
Still got 15 minutes on east coast!
hersh20 9:43 PM - 3 February, 2013
yea man WHERE was this big NAMM announcement? pushed back i presume... all i saw was more controllers for the kiddos...
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:45 PM - 3 February, 2013
Sorry guys, it seems I spoke to soon! But don't worry, nothing has changed and we still have some news for you Scratch Live users, which hopefully I can announce very soon!
BERTO 12:01 AM - 4 February, 2013
Quote:
Sorry guys, it seems I spoke to soon! But don't worry, nothing has changed and we still have some news for you Scratch Live users, which hopefully I can announce very soon!

Good :)
XRM5 1:57 AM - 4 February, 2013
Quote:

Thanks for letting us know.
Frank Spinatra 2:46 AM - 6 February, 2013
still tracking... :)
Code:E 3:14 AM - 6 February, 2013
stopping tracking....
nik39 3:42 PM - 6 February, 2013
*cough*... It's not that I haven't told ya... ;)

Quote:
Quote:

Not
Available until
Mid
May.
serkan 8:07 PM - 12 February, 2013
Quote:

*cough*... It's not that I haven't told ya... ;)

I read "NAMM announcement" from your post so practically you were wrong ;)
But you May be right with your abbreviation :D
DjDannyXL 10:14 PM - 13 February, 2013
i love the features, and i love that the layout has everything in front of you, effects, cues, etc.
unlike the 57 that u have to switch from group to group.
idk if this is just me or i just feel weird from the switch of mixers but when i first took it out the box to play with it, it felt very cheap. the faders have a cheap feel to them. the 57 felt very sturdy and well put together. i might just have to adjust to the switch idk
djstingray 4:39 AM - 14 February, 2013
@danny I felt the same way about the faders. They are the same, just give them a nice drop of light gun oil on the rail and they will instantly feel like 57 faders, maybe even better. My gripe is still lack of Livefeed.. (as per my thread.. please find it and bump it if you care about that feature. It's amazing!)
DjDannyXL 4:53 AM - 14 February, 2013
Quote:

Quote:

- Low Headphone Volume

actually, i noticed i have less headroom. comparing both the 57 and 62 with the gains at the 12 o'clock position, the 62 will clip and the 57 doesnt. idk if this is just with me. im running 2.4.3 if it matters
DjDannyXL 4:56 AM - 14 February, 2013
Quote:
@danny I felt the same way about the faders. They are the same, just give them a nice drop of light gun oil on the rail and they will instantly feel like 57 faders, maybe even better. My gripe is still lack of Livefeed.. (as per my thread.. please find it and bump it if you care about that feature. It's amazing!)

i heard gun oil was bad. i've used deoxit fader lube on my 57 before and it felt way smoother. but its not that the 62 doesnt feel smooth. i actually think it felt a bit smoother than the 57 and i think they have the same faders im not sure. but it just feels like they break easily
djstingray 5:09 AM - 14 February, 2013
I have never had a problem with gun oil on metal/metal contact. It's the best, or machine oil in general. Super light, not thick at all, just a tiny drop. The part you put it on is only mechanical, not electronic. I think most people misuse those products like CaLube/Deoxit. Deoxit is like WD-40, it is a solvent. It 'might' work, but it's not meant to be a permanant lubricant. Iunno.. been doing this over 14 years now and once I set up a fader I never had to touch it again.
djstingray 5:11 AM - 14 February, 2013
+ it wasn't about smoothness with the odd feeling for me, it was the sound and movement, it did feel cheap, but the oil must barely fill in the space or something and it is identical feeling to my old 57. I actually couldn't believe it. I was also skeptical when I first got it.
djstingray 5:19 AM - 14 February, 2013
Sorry, I misread your post. CaiLube is fader lube. (they changed the name a while ago). It is NOT a solvent, but actually intended to be used on PLASTIC(abs) conductive fader strips to make them smoother but also keep them from wearing down (like a Vestax (ALPS) fader has, not like the Rane faders. So I am still saying light machine/gun oil is the wins. damn I wish I could go back and edit posts.. =(
Joshua Carl 5:07 PM - 14 February, 2013
Quote:

actually, i noticed i have less headroom. comparing both the 57 and 62 with the gains at the 12 o'clock position, the 62 will clip and the 57 doesnt. idk if this is just with me. im running 2.4.3 if it matters

this mixer actually behaves a bit differently, and for anyone who really really pays attention to not on the peak levels of their individual lines, but the combined peak value of channel 1+2 (IE the mix) the new structure they use cannot be beat!

but yes, you do end up playing most tracks in the 10-11 area (rather than 12-1 on the 57)
perhaps someone will beat me to posting it, but theres a document for this.

its great, i dont even have to normalize my mix shows anymore.... do it all in real time.
Joshua Carl 5:10 PM - 14 February, 2013
BtW the 62 faders are absolute butter out the box (at least mine was)

on my 54i/57 I took off the tension coil and used electronics telfon lubricant
(dont know if this is a good idea of not, technically!!!!!!!!)

but everyone who ever touch my fader looked at me wide eyed...like WOOOOW!

The 62 out the box is perfect for me though...
DjDannyXL 5:29 PM - 14 February, 2013
Quote:
BtW the 62 faders are absolute butter out the box (at least mine was)

on my 54i/57 I took off the tension coil and used electronics telfon lubricant
(dont know if this is a good idea of not, technically!!!!!!!!)

but everyone who ever touch my fader looked at me wide eyed...like WOOOOW!

The 62 out the box is perfect for me though...

Yeah. The 62 fader does feel smoother to me also, but its just that it feels fragile
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:31 PM - 14 February, 2013
I'm not sure what this discussion is about the 57 faders feeling more sturdy or better than the 62?
Its the same exact fader other than the carrier (the piece the fader knob sits on and that slides on the rails).
The new carrier feels identical to the the older one to me.

As for lube.. we are now recommending this --> www2.dupont.com

It can be bought at any Lowe's or Home Depot.
Its a silicon based lube and dries on the rails very quickly leaving no residue.
If your fader feels sticky I would suggest cleaning the lube that is currently on the rails (Deoxit Fader Lube F100L-25C) and using the Dupont lube.
We are no longer using the F100L-25C lube for the rails on our mixers.
The lube was too thick and we were getting complaints about the faders being sticky.
Once again, clean the rails and re-lube with the Dupont lube and you'll be good to go.

As for the gain of the 57 vs. the 62...

The 62 definitely has more head room. Substantially more.
Below is a document Shaun Whitcher here at Rane wrote up explaining our metering system on our mixers. As Joshua Carl said, it is by far the best method of metering as it gives you a true representation of the summed signals.

Quote:
Introduction
Correctly setting DJ mixer level controls is one of the most important contributors to creating an excellent sounding system. To ensure proper level setting Rane DJ mixers are designed with a professional audio metering system much like you’d find in a studio grade mixing console.
If you’re familiar with pro-audio mixing consoles Rane DJ mixer metering will be a no-brainer, but if this is your first introduction to professional audio metering it may be a bit different from what you’re accustomed.
The following Rane DJNote covers how to properly set Rane DJ mixer level controls and how to use professional audio metering. Once you master the fundamental principles you will know how to get the best possible audio quality from your Rane DJ mixer.

The Basics
Level controls:
DJ mixers have a lot of level controls (wouldn’t be much of a mixer without them). Knowing the proper setting for each control is a bit confusing, especially when adding a software program to your system. Luckily, audio software and DJ mixers include similar controls. Both include individual gain/trim controls, level meters for each channel, and a master output level control.

Meter levels:
Follow the golden rule and keep your level meters out of the red. Think of a level meter as a traffic light. Green means you’re ok to proceed, yellow means caution and red means stop. Your goal is to turn the gain controls up so that your level meters are peaking in the high yellow- almost to red but not quite. When level meters hit red, you run the risk of clipping or simply distorting the heck out of the audio. In case you’re wondering, both sound horrible.
When using a software program it’s important to adjust your level controls properly within the program before tweaking the level controls on your mixer. Once the level meters within the software are adjusted properly (i.e., no red), you’re ready to adjust the level controls on your mixer.

Using Rane mixer metering to adjust level controls
Peak hold meters:
What is Peak Hold Metering? It is an extra function found on some ladder arrays where the peak value is displayed by a single element displayed above the average program material. Commonly it has a slow decay rate, where it is usual to see just the peak value element lit with no others once the program material ends.

Peak hold meters on Rane mixers:
Like other peak hold meters the ones found on Rane DJ mixers will appear to have gaps between the average level and the peak levels. This can throw DJs off at first, thinking the meters are malfunctioning, but this is not the case. The LED floating above the rest represents the peak level of the audio and the LEDs below the peak represent the average audio level.
The basic idea behind using peak hold meters is identical to using peak meters; keep the top meter out of the red. Using the PGM gain controls on your mixer, adjust the level so that your meters barely hit the red and then back the level down until out of the red. Repeat this process for each PGM channel.

Rane mixer master output peak hold level meters:
The main difference DJs may notice about the master output level meter is that the master level control has no affect on the meter levels. This may seem a bit weird when compared to other DJ mixers, but there’s a very good reason behind this design. With Rane professional DJ mixers, the master output level meter is the summed total of all PGM channel levels. In other words, the master output meter is a true representation of your combined output mix level. As long as the output level meters stay out of the red, you won’t be in danger of clipping or distorting audio, not that you can clip or distort a Rane mixer anyway, but that’s beside the point. You can still blow the sound system speakers (and your chances of getting booked to play that venue again).

Calibrating a Rane mixer with a sound system
It was mentioned earlier that the main level control has no affect on the master level meter and that this was by design. The intent behind this design is to use the master level control to calibrate the mixer with a sound system. Ideally, during sound check, the sound tech running the sound system will calibrate the system to the output level of the Rane mixer, so that red meters on the mixer indicate red (or almost red) on the main sound board and/or near clipping of the amplifiers.
Here’s a quick how-to:
• Start with the master level control knob all the way down.
• Make sure the audio levels meters within the software you’re using are not peaking red.
• Start with the PGM channel 1 fader all the way up and adjust the gain/level control so that your meters barely hit the red and then back the level down until out of the red, giving yourself a little room for sudden level peaks. Repeat the same process for PGM channel 2, if using more than two channels, PGM channel 3 and PGM channel 4.
• While playing audio, using each PGM channel, check the master output level meters. If the master output level meters are in the red make small adjustments to each PGM channel gain control until the master level meter is peaking into the yellow. Now that your mixer level controls are properly set, you’re ready to turn up the master level control.
• Here’s where you grab the sound tech running the sound system. The tech may have you do one of the following.
• Increase the master level control on your mixer until you’re told to stop. If you stop at 8, this is your maximum level output for the mixer and you do not want to exceed this level setting. Increasing the master level control past 8 may cause the sound tech to give you dirty looks, or worse, damage the sound system.
• Turn the master level control on your mixer all the way up. Once your master level control is at max, the sound tech will slowly increase the level on the main sound board until the sound system is at the peak level. When it comes to preventing damage to the sound system this is the sound techs safest way to calibrate a mixer to the system.

Summary
Optimum sound quality requires correctly setting software level and the DJ mixer level controls. The correct procedure begins by properly setting software level controls and then mixer gain level controls. Once your mixer levels are properly set, calibrating the master output level control with the sound system is the last step. Following these simple steps ensures you will get the best possible audio quality from your Rane DJ mixer.
DJ Unique 2:13 AM - 15 February, 2013
I love my 62
djkurve 2:30 AM - 15 February, 2013
Quote:
I love my 62

Me too! :)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:33 AM - 15 February, 2013
I still love both of my 62s lol
djkrazyleo 2:36 AM - 15 February, 2013
+100
s3kn0tr0n1c 5:30 PM - 15 February, 2013
Quote:
+100

x62
No Handle 2:40 PM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:

• Increase the master level control on your mixer until you’re told to stop. If you stop at 8, this is your maximum level output for the mixer and you do not want to exceed this level setting. Increasing the master level control past 8 may cause the sound tech to give you dirty looks, or worse, damage the sound system.
• Turn the master level control on your mixer all the way up. Once your master level control is at max, the sound tech will slowly increase the level on the main sound board until the sound system is at the peak level. When it comes to preventing damage to the sound system this is the sound techs safest way to calibrate a mixer to the system.

1) Turn up your master level output until you're told to stop
2) Turn it all the way up

Huh? Zach, can you clarify?

PS - still no new product announcements. This past month we've had a minor bug-fix update to SSL, and an email apologizing for misprinted Serato control vinyl. Ugh.

Where are all of these touted new features? Scratch Live continues to gather dust.
SELECT 3:52 PM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

PS - still no new product announcements. This past month we've had a minor bug-fix update to SSL, and an email apologizing for misprinted Serato control vinyl. Ugh.

Where are all of these touted new features? Scratch Live continues to gather dust.

Yeah the way this was worded didn't make any sense to me either, but I think I know what hes talking about. This is mainly for people who are connecting their mixer to passive sound systems. I run a passive sound system personally so I know how to calibrate it so I dont overload my amps or blow my speakers. How its done is basically what was explained. First I unplug my speakers from the amps. My dbx driverack and amps gains are already set to the correct settings/position. I then turn up my master mixer volume until I see my amps start to clip. That then is my limit basically as far as I can turn up the mixer. So from that point on I can leave my master volume set at the limit. I then plug in my speakers and then slowly turn up the amps/soundboard. Thats basically what I think hes trying to explain so you dont blow out a sound system. Correct me if Im wrong.
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:08 PM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:

Scratch Live isn't gathering dust here in the office :) Please hold tight, there are some things not too far off which I will let you know as soon as I am allowed to.
BERTO 12:00 AM - 23 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Scratch Live isn't gathering dust here in the office :) Please hold tight, there are some things not too far off which I will let you know as soon as I am allowed to.

Been a while. Good to hear this
DJ Rebellious1 12:04 AM - 23 March, 2013
Looks forward to the Scratch Live Updates, additions, makeovers w/e they are. Long overdue. Need to give a shout-out to AGI for the awesome CS and deal on the 62. You've made me a believer see ya GC.
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:39 PM - 25 March, 2013
Quote:

Shaun was referring to two different ways you can do this.

1st being
Quote:

and 2nd being
Quote:

Its two ways of getting to the same place.
The second way is better in a club environment (depending on the sound guy) because the DJ won't be able to turn up the master level any further. This gives the sound tech control of the over all output.

Quote:
Yeah the way this was worded didn't make any sense to me either, but I think I know what hes talking about. This is mainly for people who are connecting their mixer to passive sound systems. I run a passive sound system personally so I know how to calibrate it so I dont overload my amps or blow my speakers. How its done is basically what was explained. First I unplug my speakers from the amps. My dbx driverack and amps gains are already set to the correct settings/position. I then turn up my master mixer volume until I see my amps start to clip. That then is my limit basically as far as I can turn up the mixer. So from that point on I can leave my master volume set at the limit. I then plug in my speakers and then slowly turn up the amps/soundboard. Thats basically what I think hes trying to explain so you dont blow out a sound system. Correct me if Im wrong.

Actually this isn't correct.
You want your mixer's output running as hot as possible.
This way you won't have to turn up your amps or speakers as loud to get the same volume.
This in turn assures that your gear doesn't overheat and get fatigued.

Turn everything down (including your DB Rack and amps).
Run signal into the mixer as hot as you can without clipping (using the gain knobs for your channel strips).
From there, if you want to protect your gear from others who may be using it, I would then turn up the master level all the way up.
Now run the signal out of your DB rack as hot as possible without clipping it.
From there turn on your speakers and turn up your amps to the desired level.
You will notice you won't have to turn up your amps/speakers as much.
Not only does this protect your gear but it also brings down the noise floor and will give you a cleaner signal:)
SELECT 12:30 AM - 26 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Shaun was referring to two different ways you can do this.

1st being
Quote:

and 2nd being
Quote:

Its two ways of getting to the same place.
The second way is better in a club environment (depending on the sound guy) because the DJ won't be able to turn up the master level any further. This gives the sound tech control of the over all output.

Quote:

Actually this isn't correct.
You want your mixer's output running as hot as possible.
This way you won't have to turn up your amps or speakers as loud to get the same volume.
This in turn assures that your gear doesn't overheat and get fatigued.

Turn everything down (including your DB Rack and amps).
Run signal into the mixer as hot as you can without clipping (using the gain knobs for your channel strips).
From there, if you want to protect your gear from others who may be using it, I would then turn up the master level all the way up.
Now run the signal out of your DB rack as hot as possible without clipping it.
From there turn on your speakers and turn up your amps to the desired level.
You will notice you won't have to turn up your amps/speakers as much.
Not only does this protect your gear but it also brings down the noise floor and will give you a cleaner signal:)

I wouldnt be able to run the DB rack with the master on my mixer all the way up. The signal on the DB rack starts clipping around 2-3 o'clock with I turn it up. I can however adjust my limiter settings on the DB rack where it would be possible to have the master all the way up. Very good idea really, especially if Im renting out my equipment. I think I'll try it out next time. The sound is great from the 62 btw. My speakers definitely sound better.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:03 PM - 26 March, 2013
Quote:
The signal on the DB rack starts clipping around 2-3 o'clock with I turn it up.

That shouldn't be a problem. Just means that the Sixty-Two is sending a really hot signal which is good.
armed98 4:43 PM - 27 March, 2013
How about a video on how this would be setup for active and passive setups?
SELECT 5:13 PM - 27 March, 2013
I would think that with any powered sound system if your speakers start blinking in the red it's time to check your all your levels on the mixer
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:44 PM - 27 March, 2013
Quote:
How about a video on how this would be setup for active and passive setups?

Setting up a sound system is the same regardless of using a passive or non passive system.
Unfortunately I'm not going to have time to create a video on this anytime soon but the article Shaun wrote that I posted above will walk you through how to set up a sound system when using a Rane mixer.

In a nutshell, you want the signal running as hot as possible without clipping through all the gain stages starting from your computer and up to either the amp (when using a passive speaker) or the speakers (when using a non-passive or active speaker).
From your computer to your mixer, from the mixer to any outboard gear (drive racks, eqs, compressors, etc), from the outboard gear to the amps, and finally from the amps to the speakers.

What you don't want to do is turn your speakers and/or amps all the way up and run everything else up stream from it at a lower volume. This will not only run the risk of ruining your amps and speakers but you will create a lot of noise and hiss in the sound system.

No Handle 3:09 AM - 15 July, 2013
Quote:

I think we're done here. It's been fun!
GoHoos 3:01 PM - 27 July, 2013
For everyone willing to spend $2000 on a mixer, there's 50 people willing to spend $3-500 on a controller. When the DJ fad is over, and only professionals are left, the joke may be on them.
O.B.1 4:32 AM - 7 November, 2013
recently upgraded from a 57 to a 62.
Lots of helpful tidbits in the thread, thanks everyone :)
Nicholas Major 9:07 AM - 7 November, 2013
I noticed earlier in the discussion someone posted one of their problems with the 62 being that
"- Output seems really high"

I have owned my mixer for about 4 months now and I am wondering if this translates as - the mixer puts out a lot of "highs to high-mids" and not enough "mids to lows"?

I just want this better defined for me to make sure it is something everyone sees with this mixer, and it is not just my mixer alone doing this.

I mean, I love this mixer. The faders feel amazing, the dual USB is genius, the efx samples and loops are easy to access and use…
I just have this one "highs" issue. Mostly because most other DJs I spin with would rather daisy chain 2-3 SL boxes together because the 62's output sound isn't as "warm" as other mixers.
Joshua Carl 3:29 PM - 7 November, 2013
Man, maybe its just my ear, but I think the 62 is the exact opposite.
Im the only one at my Friday spot using a unit with the new sound card.
(Basically everyone else uses a 57/sl1)

and Ive heard on numerous occasions from staff, even regulars "how come your music sounds better than the other DJs we have here..."

one night I had to tag with another dude, although he was straight 1/8th jacking it out of his computer, the first thing I really smacked me in the face was the extreme difference between a 1/8th jack and a mixer out...
(yes, i know a 1/8th jack is a non-pro soultion, and a complete joke)
but it was mind blowing the difference.

just curious nicholas, have you read the article about mixing on the 62, how its gain structure is in fact different thatn the 57...?
gfella 5:41 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
I noticed earlier in the discussion someone posted one of their problems with the 62 being that
"- Output seems really high"

I have owned my mixer for about 4 months now and I am wondering if this translates as - the mixer puts out a lot of "highs to high-mids" and not enough "mids to lows"?

I just want this better defined for me to make sure it is something everyone sees with this mixer, and it is not just my mixer alone doing this.

I mean, I love this mixer. The faders feel amazing, the dual USB is genius, the efx samples and loops are easy to access and use…
I just have this one "highs" issue. Mostly because most other DJs I spin with would rather daisy chain 2-3 SL boxes together because the 62's output sound isn't as "warm" as other mixers.

In think the person who posted High Output meant hot output, wich means the 62 goes pretty loud.
If you chain multiple boxes together you degrade the sound and add latency due extra AD/DA conversions.
I would describe the sound of the 62 very detailed with tight bass, very good midbass and open midrange which is never hard sounding and sparkling highs which are never harsh and sound pleasing to my ears, even at high volumes.
However, it does not have the slamming bass like the TTM56 because that's an analog mixer and the 62 is digital, but goes pretty deep anyway.
The 62 can sound a little flat sometimes depending on what files you play and if they are good recordings.
Have you tried different pairs of speakers to mix and match?
Can't you add extra subwoofers?
Nicholas Major 5:56 PM - 7 November, 2013
Joshua… could you link me the article?

gfella - I have tried multiple speakers.. I personally rock JBLs (EON 510s and 515s) and the club I play has QSC's KW153s with a separate American Audio 18 inch subwoofer

but regardless.. i still feel the mixer puts out mostly highs, regardless of what I do with the EQs..

Does anyone know if the EQs are controlled by the firmware versions? I may try to refresh the firmware if they are, but I know I am up to the latest version.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:38 PM - 7 November, 2013
Hey Nicholas,

I think this is what Joshua was talking about --> dj.rane.com
Joshua Carl 7:51 PM - 7 November, 2013
that gets better and better each time!
now with pictures!!!
Nicholas Major 8:24 PM - 7 November, 2013
Ohh yes, I have come across and have read this document, but it is not the gains that are my issue…

More the EQs, example:
In order to have the music sounding decent..
my highs are a little below the 9 o'clock position
my mids are at 10-11 o clock
and my lows are a little past 2 o'clock…

The 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock positions seem to be extremes compared to any other mixer i have ever used… it doesn't matter the bit rate of the song(or if i am using vinyl).. these settings are the 'must' settings

And Even at these positions, sometimes there is a sound that escapes that is cringe worthy.
Joshua Carl 9:10 PM - 7 November, 2013
whats the rest of your rig like post mixer?
I use the 62 in about 10 different venues a month and play with everything at 12 and have no issues and get a nice even, clean sound.

on my personal small mobile rig I have 2 RCF 15s and the 15" sub and play at 12
i pull they back for tricks and use with the filters... but never for straight play

alot of the Ios noise meters have analyzers right in them.... might want to goto a hotspot on your floor and see what freqs are popping

I use DB meterPro and Soundmeter+ (this one has the Spectrum meter)
Nicholas Major 9:40 PM - 7 November, 2013
I personally rock JBLs (EON 510s and 515xts) and the club I play has QSC's KW153s with a separate American Audio 18 inch subwoofer… there is no "club mixers" to deal with.. i am directly into the speakers…

but it's always the same result, regardless of the 3 set ups

I am starting to wonder if maybe there is an issue with the XLR's or something with the EQs on ~MY~ mixer in particular

I am DLing those apps now and seeing what I find…
gfella 10:10 PM - 7 November, 2013
Try a another pair of xlr's.
Try the rca output.
Try another software and compare the sound, i-tunes or whatever you have access too, you must install Rane drivers for this.
Try an another computer.
Do you use a multiple outletstrip with a filter installed?
What mixer did you use prior the 62?
Nicholas Major 10:28 PM - 7 November, 2013
I have used a Rodec Scratchbox, Pioneer DJM 700, Berhinger 4000 prior

i have also tried both my Dell and my Mac, I have even ran my old SL3 box through a channel and played the same song sync'd and the sound result was exactly the same

I use monsters at the club and a cheaper brand at my house for XLR cables

I have even made sure i was using higher end 320kbps songs to make sure it wasn't just a bit rate problem

The only thing you mentioned that I cannot try is the RCA outputs, I do not have a set up that allows them or any sort of conversion chord (RCA to 1/4)

The output just sounds "harsh"… and it's not just me who feels this way… other DJs and even one of the security guards have asked if something was wrong…

Are the EQs Firmware based?.. maybe i could try to flash it… maybe something happened.. it is on the latest version, but that doesn't mean it was a clean flash
gfella 11:05 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
I have used a Rodec Scratchbox, Pioneer DJM 700, Berhinger 4000 prior

The output just sounds "harsh"… and it's not just me who feels this way… other DJs and even one of the security guards have asked if something was wrong…

The Rodec sounds fine but is is a analog mixer, I think soundwise it is in the same league as the TTM56.
The Pioneer sounds not good to me with it thin sound, I do like Pioneer mixers as mixers but soundwise....owned a few Pioneers.
The Behringer I don't know.

The 62's output is definiatly not harsh at all, honestly one of the best mixers I've heard and like it with real vinyl too.
It only does not have that bass slam that the (best) analog mixers have.
I would contact Rane if I was you and maybe you have to send your unit in.
Niro 11:27 PM - 7 November, 2013
Not sure, but have you checked to make sure your filter knobs are not engaged or the internal sound effects isn't turned on. Depending on your filter settings, just a little notch might make it sound harsh.

The 62 is very warm and punchy, definitely the opposite of what you're hearing.
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:53 PM - 7 November, 2013
You shouldn't need to make any major eq adjustments with any Rane mixer.
The only time you should need to make an adjustment is to make up for a poor sounding track.
I almost never have to move my eqs past the 12 o'clock position.

If you are having to its either an issue with the mixer or something down stream from it.

If you're mixer is going straight into speakers and you've tried three entirely different setups (outside of the cables) than try new cables.
If you still find you have an issue you may want to send it in.
Nicholas Major 11:59 PM - 7 November, 2013
Thanks everyone!!

I am going to give it one more club night and see what happens…
I think it may come into sending it in..

Sorry for hijacking this discussion, but thanks for all the help guys!
gfella 3:36 PM - 8 December, 2013
@Nicholas

Any news on this?
Nicholas Major 7:35 AM - 2 July, 2014
@Gfella

To give an update, I feel it was 2 flavors causing this issue i was hearing..
1. Clubs speakers: I feel the internal amp on the speakers may be kind of funky due to over use and the wear and tear that is caused by the settings and the other DJs who share the club with me on other nights.

2. MP3 quality, the mixer seems to output pretty much the TRUE audio of the MP3 you are playing… if for some reason you have a track that may have muddier bass or louder highs, this mixer will simply play it… which is good and bad

Good because you get a truer sound out of nice speakers, bad because you get a truer sound out of nice speakers. -- Quality of music means a lot with this mixer

Since i discovered these two solutions, i have loved this mixer.. it is a great tool and I am stoked to own it and recommend it to anyone who has the $$$ to afford it or willing to save up