DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Tips and Tricks for the Rane 62

DJBlisk 5:10 PM - 5 March, 2012
I know there are a lot of threads about the 62, but there hasn't been many on how you utilize all the capabilities the 62 has within the amount of djs who have received their 62s.

This thread would be nice to for all of us to figure out what the 62 can do, how to perform the capabilities properly, etc.

The instruction manual for the 62 isn't informative enough. Therefore, this thread would be a big help for a lot of us.
DJ.ReFRESH 6:36 PM - 5 March, 2012
I can't contribute to this thread yet so i'll just start with "i hate you"
DJ Unique 6:42 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
I can't contribute to this thread yet so i'll just start with "i hate you"

HaHaHa
DJBlisk 6:45 PM - 5 March, 2012
ummm... thats not contributing!!
Steve Dub. 6:51 PM - 5 March, 2012
Still learning this beast myself.

The first thing I learned was to go into Serato and change the Echo to Hold Echo.
DJBlisk 8:31 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:

The first thing I learned was to go into Serato and change the Echo to Hold Echo.

umm.. wah? what does that do?
DJ Dynamite - NJ 9:50 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

umm.. wah? what does that do?

Try it and you'll see the difference Blisk.
First try Echo and while you hit the effect on cut the fader volume off. Then try the same thing with Hold Echo. You'll hear the difference.
Niro 10:00 PM - 5 March, 2012
The few tips and tricks I've been doing are: assigning the video scrolling transition to the aux knob. I also assigned the loop a scroll to the filter knob, some cool combos there. Since I don't use too many effects besides the echo, I assign I stand double to the outter effects buttons. A few more, but I'm keeping those secret for right now.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:49 PM - 5 March, 2012
*LIKES* this thread. Please spit out ideas for tutorial articles and videos, you have our attention ;)
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:50 PM - 5 March, 2012
Right now I'm just taking advantage of the super easy to trigger buttons and flipping from cues to sample player and really mashing up each track to a new piece.

p.s. I heart filter knob.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:52 PM - 5 March, 2012
oh, and there is a mixer discussion section located here -->serato.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:29 AM - 6 March, 2012
hold echo +1

No more hidden grouping +1000000
Just need a cup holder! haha
Dj ecka 7:51 PM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:
I know there are a lot of threads about the 62, but there hasn't been many on how you utilize all the capabilities the 62 has within the amount of djs who have received their 62s.

This thread would be nice to for all of us to figure out what the 62 can do, how to perform the capabilities properly, etc.

The instruction manual for the 62 isn't informative enough. Therefore, this thread would be a big help for a lot of us.

I was also expecting some kind of follow up after the big hype about the 62...but instead I just end up getting lost and without luck looking for videos on how to get the best out of the 62....no really satisfied on how serato handles that. Instead of signing big names to your brand, invest on tutorials on how to get the best out of your products..no one really cares who you sign to be the next SERATO ICON..at this point everyone knows is just marketing..(or at lest everyone should know that). Thanks!!!!
HittinSkinzTa2 7:58 PM - 5 January, 2013
+1 on the Hold Echo.
Now if only they would implement Ducking Echo, THAT would take it up a level.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:00 PM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I was also expecting some kind of follow up after the big hype about the 62...but instead I just end up getting lost and without luck looking for videos on how to get the best out of the 62....no really satisfied on how serato handles that. Instead of signing big names to your brand, invest on tutorials on how to get the best out of your products..no one really cares who you sign to be the next SERATO ICON..at this point everyone knows is just marketing..(or at lest everyone should know that). Thanks!!!!

YUP! Ive been sayin this for a while now, if your gonna invest $$ signing big name artists at least have them demo your equipment
DJ GOOK 9:20 PM - 5 January, 2013
what ever happened to play with your new toy and figure it out for yourself. Another art form gone
DJ Matty Stiles 9:35 PM - 5 January, 2013
Still figuring out this beast. There are so many cool little buttons to familiarise myself with. Loving the mixer. Great thread
DJ Dynamite - NJ 10:31 PM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:
what ever happened to play with your new toy and figure it out for yourself. Another art form gone

+1
Everyone wants everything handed to them nowadays. Nobody wants to take the time to learn.
dj_soo 12:50 AM - 6 January, 2013
I've been having a blast running acapellas through the robot filter.

I've done it with my mic occasionally but that's just annoying...
sacrilicious 3:51 AM - 6 January, 2013
Quote:

Ah I'll try that. Otherwise haven't found a good use. I thought it might be interesting for adding a high or low harmony but hadn't put in an acapella yet.
dj_soo 4:00 AM - 6 January, 2013
yea, I just tweak the depth knob every so often and you get that beastie boys feel like in the "I ain't got no dust" line in Get it Together...
DJ Remy USA 2:34 PM - 9 July, 2014
turntablistworld.com

found this while digging for 62 stuff online. Informative
DJ JT Stevens 6:47 PM - 9 July, 2014
Quote:
turntablistworld.com

Thanks for the link Remy. That hold echo trick to create live loops on the fly is awesome.
DJBlisk 8:54 PM - 11 July, 2014
I didn't even know that there was more than one echo effect. lol.
Also Starring 6:14 AM - 30 December, 2014
Is there a way to grab a loop and toss it in a sample bank and keep it synched?
monkeyfunk 3:40 PM - 30 December, 2014
That link is deceased - did anyone keep a copy ?
Quote:
Quote:
turntablistworld.com

Thanks for the link Remy. That hold echo trick to create live loops on the fly is awesome.
tableturnsmore 4:15 PM - 30 December, 2014
In terms of the loop in the sample bank if you get the loop up on one of the decks. Have it so its looping on there in time and then set your sample bank to sample player start stop mode you can drop the loop straight on to the sample bank and it will loop. The volume is controlled by the aux vol on your mixer so set the vol to the same as your channel before you drop.

In terms of the video on turntablist world I just clicked and the link works for me but if you are still having trouble I got the vids on my you tube channel still. My channel name is Peter Calleja. Hit me up if any problems.
Also Starring 7:26 PM - 23 April, 2015
Thank you for your input people... I greatly appreciate it!!!
R-Tistic 9:34 PM - 23 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Ah I'll try that. Otherwise haven't found a good use. I thought it might be interesting for adding a high or low harmony but hadn't put in an acapella yet.

I used to do it on my Pioneer
SeriousCyrus 10:13 PM - 23 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I used to do it on my Pioneer

Love the robot filter, retune mids and highs with the bass cut off while mixing to add melodies using the joystick
todbld33 4:22 AM - 11 March, 2016
heres a tip for those that run scratch live with this mixer. if your like me and like the fx in the scratch live software then u can utilize those fx by activating the ext. insert (pink) button. really opens up sounds and control options. add a denon dn-hc1000s or apc 40 there is no function in the software u cant have control of.
DJ Quartz 1:46 PM - 11 March, 2016
I use the insert mode combined with the onboard effects. Allows you to do some cool stuff.

I REALLY like the midi layer functionality!

Layer 2: Cues 6 - 8 / Reloop Trigger Slots 1 & 2 (Deck A & B)
Shift Buttons mapped to PnT DJ Enable Disable)

Layer 3: Turn on DJ FX and Increase/Decrease Beats Setting (Deck A & B)
Shift Buttons mapped to Censor buttons

Layer 4: Mix Emergency controls
Deck A Controls - Triggers for Image, Text, Flyboost, Cam Overlay and Video Eject
Deck B Controls - Enable Disable Various ME Panels and Video Eject

Layer 5: Mix Emergency Controls
Deck A Controls - Mapped directly to ME Image slots for display logos and flyers
Deck B Controls - Mapped directly to ME text slots for display various messages

I stopped using my DDJ-SP1 after mapping all this.
todbld33 8:34 AM - 13 March, 2016
So tell me how u get into mapping layers 2,3,4
Niro 10:52 AM - 13 March, 2016
Push the middle sample button snd cue buttons 2-5, then press midi in SDJ. Each side is independent of each other.
DJ Quartz 10:44 PM - 13 March, 2016
NOTE: Press and hold the cue/sample button for a second before pressed cue point buttons 2-5 to switch layers.
Niro 4:53 AM - 14 March, 2016
Quartz, can i ask you how you are bypassing default serato functions on the cue buttons.
DJ Quartz 6:40 AM - 14 March, 2016
In talking with Rane tech and Serato tech, I enabled Serato Video. Mapped those buttons I wanted to use to SV functions then disabled the plug-in.

It's a dirty way to do it, but it works. This allows me to have dummy assignments for those buttons in Serato in turn working with ME.
Niro 7:35 AM - 14 March, 2016
That is actually a very elegant way to do it. I totally forgot about SV. Thanks
DJ Quartz 8:01 AM - 14 March, 2016
No problem.
todbld33 9:33 AM - 14 March, 2016
will this layer mapping work with ssl
DJ Quartz 2:03 PM - 14 March, 2016
Yes, the 62 was supported on Scratch Live before Serato DJ.
SeriousCyrus 8:36 PM - 17 March, 2016
Rane just put out a nice little vid on facebook

www.facebook.com

One super cool tip for me was that you can change the gain for an external effect unit, i had a kaoss pad but the return was always too low to use it without getting super distorted, that little issue is now gone! You can boost the return level by hitting shift and the ext. Effect button and selecting -10
DJ Dynamite - NJ 9:16 PM - 17 March, 2016
I just peeped that video a few minutes and was about to post it in here too
DJ Quartz 9:38 PM - 17 March, 2016
Bad link
DJ Dynamite - NJ 9:46 PM - 17 March, 2016
here's a better link
www.facebook.com
SeriousCyrus 10:22 PM - 17 March, 2016
Oops sorry, posted the share from my own timeline
DJ Quartz 10:44 PM - 17 March, 2016
No problem, I went right no the Rane Facebook page and was going to repost.
DJ Quartz 8:36 PM - 18 March, 2016
Anybody change the logo on their 62 when it starts up?
OneMoabyte 6:34 PM - 17 July, 2019
Great thread. I just picked up a never been used, brand new Rane 62.