DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

I'm a little annoyed should I be

DJ Remy USA 9:07 PM - 4 March, 2012
I work with this promo group in DC, purpose of the promo group is the promoter doesnt have to look for DJs he knows who to trust and who can hold down a night. We work for him and in turn we dont have to worry about getting undercut. Sounds fair right?

Well here is were Im a little annoyed, promoter gets me a saturday night residency which is suppose to pop off in a few weeks. All of sudden the gig is cancelled and he picks up and new DJ and immediately puts that DJ on all the events he has.

Now this new DJ has never and I mean never DJ'd once in HER life, never even wanted to do it until someone said she could be popular or whatever.

So they cancel my residency to give her full attention. She cant mix she cant pick songs as a matter a fact one of the DJs out of the promo group have to stand there and help her all damn night or else she cant keep up.

Now dont get me wrong the girl is seriously beautiful but Im just a little annoyed after I was asked to be apart of this group to only get kicked to the curb for a pair of tits.

Oh well it is what it is I guess, I think Im done with this DJ shit for real. Not in the sense of quitting but I think Im done with the scene. Ive never been so back stabbed but Ive come to expect this type of thing.
RogerRabbit 9:19 PM - 4 March, 2012
The power of the pu$$y...
dj_craigmac 9:44 PM - 4 March, 2012
Yeah u should be a little pissed but don't dwell on it.
Dj Mike P. 9:44 PM - 4 March, 2012
You dj so bad...
Dj Mike P. 9:45 PM - 4 March, 2012
Thats really sucks though!
Dj Mike P. 9:45 PM - 4 March, 2012
You dj so bad...
Dj Mike P. 9:46 PM - 4 March, 2012
Damn tablet.
DJ Remy USA 9:51 PM - 4 March, 2012
its weird I dont know the girl she seems kool but Im still annoyed and will be everytime I see her for a longtime and I dont hold grudges but Im just annoyed really annoyed. So glad I didnt buy a 62 for this new residency I almost did it too
O.B.1 9:58 PM - 4 March, 2012
weak dude...
Wizzy 10:37 PM - 4 March, 2012
Don't be mad find out what her appeal is besides T!tt!es and add what ever it is to your Bag of Weapons.
DJ Remy USA 10:53 PM - 4 March, 2012
Quote:
Don't be mad find out what her appeal is besides T!tt!es and add what ever it is to your Bag of Weapons.

you didnt read what I said she's not a DJ they just put a hot chick behind the decks and then get a DJ who knows whats up to guide her through her sets and fix the mix for her. There is really no appeal homie.
canicypher 4:08 AM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

you didnt read what I said she's not a DJ they just put a hot chick behind the decks and then get a DJ who knows whats up to guide her through her sets and fix the mix for her. There is really no appeal homie.

Yeah instead of a 62, put that money towards some new tits...

I'd be pretty annoyed too. That shit is so wack. Just hire a model to walk around the place if they want and let the actual DJ do what they do. Or just have the hot chick up there with a damn ipod and call it a day. I wanna know what they're paying the guy that has to stay in the booth with her all night...a lot of places are real bad with a decent rate for one DJ, now you got two up there u have to/should be paying
Audio1 4:28 AM - 5 March, 2012
You can always fuck her and take her gig. REALITY BITES.
O.B.1 6:00 AM - 5 March, 2012
you should battle her
blnkdagr 6:09 AM - 5 March, 2012
You should talk to your promoter. Try to work something out. I'm sure you're a great asset and the promoter does not want to lose you for some new hype.
Just wait until the hype settles if it doesn't work.

But damn...talk about sexism...
DAT ASS
asthmatic 6:33 AM - 5 March, 2012
pics or it didnt happen
Papa Midnight 6:35 AM - 5 March, 2012
You have all the right in the world to be mad.

Thing is, this happens a lot and it's going to work out bad for the Promoter and the clubs who are working with them.

I watched 2 clubs in Baltimore go down after the promoter's they worked with did the exact same thing last year.
Papa Midnight 6:36 AM - 5 March, 2012
Damn, I just remembered, Remy is in DC. What is it about the D/M/V DJing Scene? It's like everyone undercuts everyone and everyone tries to get over on everyone.
the_black_one 6:43 AM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
pics or it didnt happen

this
DJ Remy USA 11:30 AM - 5 March, 2012
Pics......hmmmm that's a sticky one for me if I throw her under the bus it may not be the best move for me right now. I ve got no reason to make this up, you think I wanted my shit cancelled? Hell no I didn't
echa1945mf 11:37 AM - 5 March, 2012
booobies!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:46 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:

^^^This. Become her "man", take her gigs....or at least the money from them.
blnkdagr 1:09 PM - 5 March, 2012
Wouldn't that be worse than undercutting someone?

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind ):
DJ Remy USA 1:24 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Dude I'm happily married with a kid. No time for extra marital crap ya dig
Dj.Mojo 2:02 PM - 5 March, 2012
Always remember the fact, that your promoter is obviously only loyal to himself.
Brush off your shoulder, don´t depend on him and just do your thing.
Dont´t get mad over stupid people like him.
Be nice to him on the surface but always remember what happened.
Or keep it real like dave chapell.... you decide :-)
DJ Dynamite - NJ 3:25 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
Always remember the fact, that your promoter is obviously only loyal to himself.

^^ THIS
DJ GOODFOOT 5:00 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:

Industry rule # 4080.

I've never trusted any promoter I worked with. EVER. They were nice enough people but when it came down to business they would do anything they could to squeeze any bit of profit out of the event and use whoever they could to get the night off without paying top dollar or even fair market value for it.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:39 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:

This is acutually great advice, heres what you do, find some drug addled dirtbag from the club, buy him and outfit and get him cleaned up, hook him up with a few bills, now get dj chick olastered and introduce her to your friend and tell her hes a millionaire promoter who puts together shows for deadmau5 and skrillex, now either give your guy a condem thats been introduced to a stapler or tell the guy to dissapear afterwards but in either case nature will run its course...i dont care how hot she is noone in the club wantw to see a pregnant chick dj, its not good for busniess
Dj Nyce 5:57 PM - 5 March, 2012
sucks yo. if you need me to take a crowbar to her knee, just let me know.

this playboy dj shit is getting out of hand. i know a few ladies out there that can mix but most of em are pure garbage.

and i think you should put them on blast. i don't want to work with a shady promoter in the DMV if i can help it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:33 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dude I'm happily married with a kid. No time for extra marital crap ya dig

Ok, send one of ya boys to take one for the team...
DJ Remy USA 6:45 PM - 5 March, 2012
Im annoyed but I think the best for me to handle it is to get my mobile game up. I need better lights and speakers Im really sick of doing the night club thing especially when my following is virutally non existent and I refuse to buy in to the whole marketing myself just to be popular in play in club.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 6:48 PM - 5 March, 2012
Marketing yourself also comes into play in the mobile side of this business too. You have to remember it's a business. If you don't market yourself you're not gonna get work, regardless of whether it's mobile gigs or club gigs
Papa Midnight 7:00 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
and i think you should put them on blast. i don't want to work with a shady promoter in the DMV if i can help it.

There's a lot of them out here in my experience. Some of the owners too.
DJUnknown 7:02 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
I Now dont get me wrong the girl is seriously beautiful ......

Pictures or it didn't happen
Audio1 7:13 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Industry rule # 4080.
DJYoshi 7:31 PM - 5 March, 2012
There are a handful of people that I truly trust when it comes to promoters, business, etc.
end of the day, sit down with the promotional group... speak to them..voice your opinions... you'll only get as far as what you convey to the public...promoters and business people included.
Audio1 7:47 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
There are a handful of people that I truly trust when it comes to promoters, business, etc.
end of the day, sit down with the promotional group... speak to them..voice your opinions... you'll only get as far as what you convey to the public...promoters and business people included.
As you grow as a DJ and performer, Your list of people you trust in the industry will remain small. Def work with those who have looked out for you or those who are consistent with you. A lot of promoters only case about their bank account. As a DJ, You should be doing homework and know who you can/cant trust. If a promoter drops you for a female DJ, There is only so much you can do. I'd chalk it up as a loss and keep it moving. When they need you down the line, usually it's them begging for your help.

NEVER BURN BRIDGES, regardless of what happens. I learned that the HARD WAY and it still affects my local game, hence I've focused so much on out of town DJ work, which to me is a bigger payoff than local work. Any DJ will tell you that DJing is more rewarding when travelling. Any DJ will tell you "Every DJ scene is better than my own" and I tell you this and Im from San Francisco, one of the most vivid nightlife scenes in the US. Its really cut-throat but if you keep grinding, You will always find work.
Daktyl 8:49 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
When they need you down the line, usually it's them begging for your help.

NEVER BURN BRIDGES, regardless of what happens.

Truth
jprime 9:15 PM - 5 March, 2012
Word, integrity first.
DJ Remy USA 12:54 AM - 6 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
As you grow as a DJ and performer, Your list of people you trust in the industry will remain small. Def work with those who have looked out for you or those who are consistent with you. A lot of promoters only case about their bank account. As a DJ, You should be doing homework and know who you can/cant trust. If a promoter drops you for a female DJ, There is only so much you can do. I'd chalk it up as a loss and keep it moving. When they need you down the line, usually it's them begging for your help.

NEVER BURN BRIDGES, regardless of what happens. I learned that the HARD WAY and it still affects my local game, hence I've focused so much on out of town DJ work, which to me is a bigger payoff than local work. Any DJ will tell you that DJing is more rewarding when travelling. Any DJ will tell you "Every DJ scene is better than my own" and I tell you this and Im from San Francisco, one of the most vivid nightlife scenes in the US. Its really cut-throat but if you keep grinding, You will always find work.

I feel you, Ima be real its not like I been in the game for 10 plus years as a DJ. So Im still learning a lot when it comes to business. I think Im ok at the music and technical aspect but there is still room to grow (plenty of room). Regardless of the situation I dont burn bridges I learned a long time ago which is why Im not posting this girls facebook and bashing her name cause its not going to help at all.

With there being so many DJs out there its a little to cut throat for me to be throwing myself at the night scene just to gigs. On the mobile side I think I would do alot better because its more about professionalism and how good you look to your individual clients its about customer service at that point. I dont have all the answers thats why I come on the serato board to watch you clowns give advice (even when no one asks)....lol
Audio1 12:57 AM - 6 March, 2012
Word up dude. Just keep it moving. If the promoter or the other DJ are taking money out of your kids mouths, You go after em FULL FORCE.
DJ Remy USA 12:58 AM - 6 March, 2012
Quote:
Marketing yourself also comes into play in the mobile side of this business too. You have to remember it's a business. If you don't market yourself you're not gonna get work, regardless of whether it's mobile gigs or club gigs

Your right I havent bit that marketing bullet, I dont have that DJ persona if you know what I mean still trying to find my niche, but I like too much of everything to really have a niche
DJ Remy USA 1:01 AM - 6 March, 2012
Quote:
Word up dude. Just keep it moving. If the promoter or the other DJ are taking money out of your kids mouths, You go after em FULL FORCE.

totally agree good thing the day job keeps food on the table, but being a entertainer is where its at. I thrive when Im in front of crowd like Ima completely different person....let me stop day dreaming on the forum got me getting all sentimental and shit....lol nm/nh
sixxx 1:06 AM - 6 March, 2012
"So they cancel my residency to give her full attention. She cant mix she cant pick songs as a matter a fact one of the DJs out of the promo group have to stand there and help her all damn night or else she cant keep up."

So that "helper" dj.. (and not really that girl) is snaking your gig? nm
Dj Shamann 1:12 AM - 6 March, 2012
Quote:

I'd be more pissed at the Dj's encouraging that shit rather than the promoter, you can expect it from them, but not a self respecting Dj. They must really be hurting for pussy if they'll look the other way on everything they should respect as Dj's in favor of a pair of tits.

Guess what "helper" as soon as she learns how to get by on her own there will be no need for your job either so have fun looking for a new one.
DJ Remy USA 1:32 AM - 6 March, 2012
Quote:
"So they cancel my residency to give her full attention. She cant mix she cant pick songs as a matter a fact one of the DJs out of the promo group have to stand there and help her all damn night or else she cant keep up."

I cant speak on that dude(s) that help her. The dude DJ was already there on that night anyways so its not really affecting him he still plays his sets.

What you guys dont get is that they cancelled the whole entire event. They put the girl DJ in a club they were already promoting and dropped the saturday where I was suppose to be there go to guy.
DJ Remy USA 1:34 AM - 6 March, 2012
@ shanman exactly which I why Im not going to kiss this chicks ass.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 1:40 AM - 6 March, 2012
sue her estate
sacrilicious 2:12 AM - 6 March, 2012
^ lol hadn't seen that one in a while
Papa Midnight 2:34 AM - 6 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
When they need you down the line, usually it's them begging for your help.

NEVER BURN BRIDGES, regardless of what happens.

Truth

I can respect this.
Quote:
Quote:

I cant speak on that dude(s) that help her. The dude DJ was already there on that night anyways so its not really affecting him he still plays his sets.

What you guys dont get is that they cancelled the whole entire event. They put the girl DJ in a club they were already promoting and dropped the saturday where I was suppose to be there go to guy.

I got that, but what happens when he gets burned after the girl starts to catch on and the promoter decides to replace him with her full time? The promoter has already shown they have the capacity to dump one person to focus on pushing a female "performer" (as in she's performing rather than doing the actual set) so what keeps the current guy they've got from thinking they'll do the same to him?
DJ Remy USA 12:08 PM - 6 March, 2012
^^^i don't know what his plan is, I just know that she has a long way to go before that happens. If it happens