Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

What Hard drives is Best For You

Solidsnake 2:22 AM - 2 March, 2012
I've almost always used Western Digital, but when I built my latest gaming PC, my Black Caviar 750 GB went bad within the month, and they had a good deal on Samsung Hard Drives at the time. I took a chance, and I must say, this Samsung drive is quite a good drive. When I went to upgrade my laptop to dual Hard Drives, I went with a SSD for the OS, and then a Samsung Spinpoint 5400 rpm 750gb for my User folders with all of my music and videos. So far so good.

I'm not saying get one over the other, as I had previously pretty much exclusively used Western Digital, but I can vouch for Samsung and say they also make good quality drives that are worth a look if you are shopping around.
Papa Midnight 3:24 PM - 2 March, 2012
5400RPM has been an industry standard for years. 7200RPM is as well for faster drives. There's also 10,000 RPM. For drives which are driven by a need to produce low battery usage, you'll tend to find 4200 PRM. For a green drive, do not trust the RPM rating on the box. We've clocked Green drives from Seagate and Western Digital that have gone as low as 3200 RPM. Some of my Kiwi and Aussie colleagues have clocked them as low as 2750 RPM.

For the record, I will never buy a Seagate ever again (especially externals) and will never by Samsung again. Since Samsung was purchased by Seagate, QA is practically out the window.

Western Digital from now on out. I'll eat the extra $10 per drive for a higher chance of it NOT failing.
marcA 4:07 PM - 2 March, 2012
i'll never buy western digital again, nor seagate
hitachi all the way...
marcA 4:08 PM - 2 March, 2012
and i'de sure like to know which portable harddisk runs at 10k rpm....
Papa Midnight 5:58 PM - 2 March, 2012
Quote:
i'll never buy western digital again, nor seagate
hitachi all the way...

Hitachi is Western Digital. It has been for the past year.

The HDD playing field just gets smaller and smaller....

Quote:
and i'de sure like to know which portable harddisk runs at 10k rpm....

Not portable, but internal. I know Western Digital makes them and Hitachi announced their own line a few years ago. I suppose if you put one inside of an enclosure, it would be "portable", but that would be rather pointless as USB 2.0 would SEVERELY limit whatever speed you might possibly get. An eSATA enclosure might get the job done, though.
Papa Midnight 12:36 AM - 3 March, 2012
Quote:
Western Digital and Seagate Drives Die very easily

In my experience, this is half true.
I've had solid experience with Western Digitals. But Seagate's do die and fast.
Kevin "Soulkhitect" Gibson 4:57 AM - 3 March, 2012
Ive been buying WD drives for all kinds of applications like EXT BUILDS -internal drives - laptop drives. ive had 2 die so far and those 2 where both pre cased passport drives those i would say SUX - but ive ha nothing but great experiences with the drives i buy by them selves like the WD BLACK cavier 1.5 TB and i threw it in a rosweil external enclosure ESATA, love it
marcA 8:41 AM - 3 March, 2012
WD drives are not at all the same as hitachi, it's not because they put $4 billion on the table that the wd drives got so much better all of a sudden
hitachi also has a strong penetration in data centers and for a reason
that said, i recently installed an fc EMC san and all drives were seagate 15k sas

so yes big 3.5 disk you can buy can be running at 10k and even 15k, putting them in an enclosure, you will need an active cooling one or else they will heat up very quickly

as for seagate, i had a new 'real laptop' disk backordered before the rain in thailand so i was forced to buy one that was available, i went for the seagate XT hybrid, 500gb
guess what, after 5 months of mild usage it started beeping this week and results in crashing my laptop
luckily my hitachi is arriving next week so i can throw that one into the bin

as to wd, i've used various caviar black ones and they all suffered from clicking caused by excessive head parking operations, so the wear out very quickly, green power functions aren't green in the long run

so i hope the new hitachi will be able to meet my expectations, it should also be the fastest laptop disk available at this point (magnetic density of the platters)
Dj Ace 9:53 AM - 3 March, 2012
DJ_X_Trodinaire 5:57 PM - 3 March, 2012

how do you like those drives? Looks interesting. I already like the fact that it does not use wall warts, has a fan and i could store that under a mixer in a coffin. hmmm
marcA 9:03 PM - 3 March, 2012
if you want a decent big external disk get a lacie quadro enterprise model, it houses an enterprise hitachi disk and comes with 5 yrs of warranty
Papa Midnight 9:40 PM - 3 March, 2012
Quote:
Stay away from premaid drives (Seagate expansion) (Western Digital Elements)

I'll go half in on this one.
Stay FAR away from Seagate Desktop Expansion drives. But I've had nothing but good experiences with WD Elements drives. Then again, I used neither for DJing.
Dj Ace 11:57 PM - 4 March, 2012
Love the glyph drives...that is all I use. Never been let down
Dj Ace 11:58 PM - 4 March, 2012
Using them since 2005
Papa Midnight 1:45 AM - 5 March, 2012
I suppose this is the part where I should point out that Glyph doesn't actually manufacture the actual drives.
Dj Ace 3:00 AM - 5 March, 2012
I know already...seagate does but the cases and warranty is top notch
Dave The One 8:00 AM - 17 March, 2012
I'm using the Hitachi Touro Mobile Pro USB 3.0 7200 RPM 750GB external hard drive on a usb 3.0 port on the HP Envy 14 Beats Edition 2.2ghz with Serato Itch and it is bullet proof!!!!! Played live with it for 4.5 hours.