DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

using the track color codes

Manny0729 10:58 PM - 28 February, 2012
i wanna start using them to organize certain songs from others. how do you guys use them?
DJ Baby Boy 11:53 PM - 28 February, 2012
I use Green for Clean songs & Red for Dirty but that's about it
aireyc 12:21 AM - 29 February, 2012
Same except I do yellow for "questionable" tracks that may have drug references or sexual themes, but that don't actually have bad words. Those tracks could be radio play, but maybe not something youth groups want to hear.
Mike_P 12:45 AM - 29 February, 2012
i used to try to tag all my songs with this elaborate color code scheme. it became overwhelming and i ended up just going with this formula...red=heatfiya, orange=mediocre and blue=coldfish. this is strictly for dancefloor reaction, so even though a song may be less known, or not known at all in some cases, but i know it'll rock the dancefloor, i use the red.
DJ metaphor 1:14 AM - 29 February, 2012
Green for (clean with intro) Blue for (Hype edits/transitions) Red for those club bangers that will always make people dance... oh and purple for battle record samples.
dj_soo 1:20 AM - 29 February, 2012
I use Red for bangers, green for personal favourites that may not be party starters, and blue for favourite early-night or lounge/downtempo tracks.
DJ Remy USA 1:40 AM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
I use Red for bangers, green for personal favourites that may not be party starters, and blue for favourite early-night or lounge/downtempo tracks.

yes your pack you put out with wood has all these damn tracks colored I was like wtf..lol I dont use colors at all, maybe I should
dj_soo 1:58 AM - 29 February, 2012
it's useful when freestyling - as I usually play from BPM smart crates, it's just another thing I can organize by...
Papa Midnight 5:35 AM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

yes your pack you put out with wood has all these damn tracks colored I was like wtf..lol I dont use colors at all, maybe I should

I only use Red for tracks that I'm marking to get out of my library (either because they're duplicates, bad tracks, or just crap that ended up in there from a record pool update).
echa1945mf 5:50 AM - 29 February, 2012
yellow for deep melodic stuff

green for mid tempo groovy stuff

red for bangers

blue for fillers mostly percussive repetitive beats
dj_soo 7:20 AM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I only use Red for tracks that I'm marking to get out of my library (either because they're duplicates, bad tracks, or just crap that ended up in there from a record pool update).

that's actually a good idea... i might start doing that. I usually use a 1 star rating in iTunes to designate tracks i want to delete and 2 stars for tracks I want to keep out of my usual freestyle crates but I often come across things while gigging that I should be marking and I never do...
amplogik 8:04 AM - 21 August, 2015
I try to use them for key of the song so I can tell at a glance what's likely to work. But I need 3 more colors to complete the set. Is there any way to add more colors or to get primaries in there. The pastel colors are not so attractive. It would be nice if we could select our own colors.
eugguy 10:56 AM - 21 August, 2015
Quote:
I try to use them for key of the song so I can tell at a glance what's likely to work. But I need 3 more colors to complete the set. Is there any way to add more colors or to get primaries in there. The pastel colors are not so attractive. It would be nice if we could select our own colors.

I agree. The colors are not visually appealing in a sense of clarity. Very difficult to see and differentiate between colors. Hence I only use two colors and stick with smart crates to organize genres. I use pink for songs that are newer in my collection. That accounts for about 25% at all times. If a song is played out, older, and I know it inside and out, I'll mark it black. The system is not overwhelming at all. It really clarifies my playlists and allows a lot more mobility between sets. The real secret I feel is combining the proper use of smart crates and color codes together. I actually use the key field for energy of songs based on a three point scale. • low energy, mood. •• mid energy, tempo. ••• hi energy, fast tempo.
Fast Eddie 18 2:03 PM - 31 January, 2017
HOW do you tag a song with color? How to REMOVE the # column?
DJ EVRSINCE 9:10 PM - 8 November, 2017
Anybody know how to color tracks? Like how to actually set it up in Serato?
Djt@v0asd230841234 4:17 PM - 22 November, 2017
I just Green for good songs, and Red for bad Songs, other than that no more.

@DjEvrSince you just click on the square box of the selected song and the color box will appear
Djt@v0asd230841234 4:18 PM - 22 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes me too.!!
Old Moose 2:16 PM - 3 December, 2017
I use crates for types or genre of music. For example, Country, Club, Military, Dinner, etc. I then rate each song with a color.

Red=Explicit,
Green=New must play,
Yellow=Not new but still worthwhile,
Blue=Oldies
Black=Sound Effects

I then use the comments column to lable each song with its genre and place the column first on my display. That way when I am scanning for the next songs I see color first, then genre, BPM, song name, artist. All without fishing into a crate. However, I usually premake a crate for jobs arraigning songs as I plan to play them for each event. That way I don’t forget to play something or have to fish for music in the middle of things. Because crates auto play lists I can go pee if necessary too.
I too wish the colors would pop more. I tried the star ⭐️ system but it was time consuming and I personally had trouble remembering what 1,2,3,4,5 stars meant. That’s just me though.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:57 PM - 5 December, 2017
Red - Bangers
Pink - Ladies favourite
Green - Soulful Chilled Groovy
Yellow - Summer Sunshine kinda tunes

I use the "Remixer" column to do my star rating. I rate using from "+" to "+++++"