DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 61 or Rane 62??

dameon B 12:50 PM - 22 February, 2012
Hey everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my current Itch setup to SSL and I'm trying to figure which would be a better buy. My present gear consists of a NS7 with a MB pro and a VCI-300 for smaller gigs. I do mobile gigs, like weddings, house parties and backyard bbq's in Ny. I'm not thinking to be a super club Dj or anything like that but I want to get a Pro Serato setup. I play mostly Dancehall/Reggae, Hip Hop/R &B and Soca. My question is "Is it over kill to go for the 62 to get access to Cue points on the mixer, or is a 61 and a pair of Dicers a better way to go?" I don't use looping too much, and sparingly use the effects. Dancehall/Reggae fans don't go for that too much lol. I'm reading the reviews on the forum so far on the 62, but there is hardly any reviews on the 61, is that because no one really thinks the 61 is a good pro mixer? All thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
lvmez 1:11 PM - 22 February, 2012
you can't go wrong with either mixer. I think you will grow into the 62. which ever mixer you buy, you will probably keep for the next 5 years. I think it is worth to buy the 62 for a few hundred dollars more. Plus the resale value of the 62 will be greater.

good luck.
dameon B 1:48 PM - 22 February, 2012
Yeah, the 62 looks pretty dope man, and I am leaning towards that a little because of the reason you stated lvmez , but I'm not sure if I need all those buttons on the mixer that I probably won't use. Thanks for your thoughts though, much appreciated. Btw did you see the Gold skins for the mixers, they look pretty dope man.
lvmez 2:14 PM - 22 February, 2012
haven't seen them yet, will look into it. thanks.
dameon B 2:29 PM - 22 February, 2012
check out the thread in the rane mixers discussion area of the forum. 12inchskinz has some dope stuff coming out.
Makero 2:32 PM - 22 February, 2012
good lookin faceplates.
dameon B 2:40 PM - 22 February, 2012
nativespinner 3:38 PM - 22 February, 2012
IMO why don't you either get a 57 or 56 with a rane box and just use the cue points on the MBP. To me it seems overkill for weddings, mobile, house parties for a 61 or 62.
dameon B 10:58 PM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:
IMO why don't you either get a 57 or 56 with a rane box and just use the cue points on the MBP. To me it seems overkill for weddings, mobile, house parties for a 61 or 62.

True, but for some reason I don't like using the Cue points on the MBP too much, and I always hear people complaining about the buttons on the 57. It's a good point though, giving me something to think about.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:02 PM - 23 February, 2012
Get some dicers or an hc1000then
Flashing Lights DJ DK 4:56 AM - 25 September, 2012
Quote:
Yeah, the 62 looks pretty dope man, and I am leaning towards that a little because of the reason you stated lvmez , but I'm not sure if I need all those buttons on the mixer that I probably won't use. Thanks for your thoughts though, much appreciated. Btw did you see the Gold skins for the mixers, they look pretty dope man.

I have a NS7 too and I'm going to get 2 Denon SC3900. I was looking at the Rane mixers and the 56 is not an option and the cueing and looping on the 57 is confusing. The 61 will probably be fine for me but I like the look and functions of the 62. Overall I think the 62 is the way to go. I try not to settle with it comes to dj equipment.
vjmarcus 8:34 PM - 27 January, 2013
Quote:
I have a NS7 too and I'm going to get 2 Denon SC3900. I was looking at the Rane mixers and the 56 is not an option and the cueing and looping on the 57 is confusing. The 61 will probably be fine for me but I like the look and functions of the 62. Overall I think the 62 is the way to go. I try not to settle with it comes to dj equipment.

Did you buy the 62? How is it working for you?
dameon B 9:25 PM - 27 January, 2013
I ended up buying the 62. It's been good so far, no complaints. I see a lot of people complaining about dropouts with Serato Dj software as well, so I figured a DVS system to be the safest way to go. Very stable and nice so far. 62 & 2 Pioneer 850k's. more costly than a controller rig, but way more stable and that's what I needed
vjmarcus 9:32 PM - 27 January, 2013
Quote:
62 & 2 Pioneer 850k's

That's exactly what I will be buying tomorrow :)

How are the 850s in HID mode? Working good?
dj_soo 10:52 PM - 27 January, 2013
I love my 62
Makero 1:31 AM - 28 January, 2013
i bought 61 + dicers about year ago and its been good setup for me. no problems
vjmarcus 1:39 AM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
i bought 61 + dicers about year ago and its been good setup for me. no problems

how do you fire the sp-6 sampler?
dameon B 4:44 AM - 28 January, 2013
I haven't tried HID mode yet, still using the control CDs for now. I saw some persons on the forum complaining about HID mode being unstable and I desire stability above everything else. Rock solid so far tho
Makero 7:01 AM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
how do you fire the sp-6 sampler?

laptop keyboard, but been thinking about getting kontrol X1 or something similar for extra functions and way to get rid of always tapping the keyboard. anyway, for basic sound sampling keyboard is working just fine.
nomanji 7:30 AM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
62 & 2 Pioneer 850k's

That's exactly what I will be buying tomorrow :)

How are the 850s in HID mode? Working good?

it's no good. it is safer to use time codes with the 850s.
J.J. 6:43 PM - 28 January, 2013
I constantly hear the 62 is overkill.

Then the same people go and buy...
• RANE TTM 56S $800
• RANE SL3 $650
• Novation Dicer $100 x 2

$1650. It takes you a lot longer to connect your gear. Not to mention your using 3 USB instead of 1. Your probably need a USB extender. You still have no effects and no filters. No easy way to play your samples, loops, loop roll and manual loops. You also have no navigation from the mixer. Loading songs, extending crates and instant doubles looks like your checking your email on your laptop.
ral 6:54 PM - 28 January, 2013
+1 on the 62
MiguelL 7:12 PM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
I constantly hear the 62 is overkill.

Then the same people go and buy...

• RANE TTM 56S $800

• RANE SL3 $650

• Novation Dicer $100 x 2

$1650. It takes you a lot longer to connect your gear. Not to mention your using 3 USB instead of 1. Your probably need a USB extender. You still have no effects and no filters. No easy way to play your samples, loops, loop roll and manual loops. You also have no navigation from the mixer. Loading songs, extending crates and instant doubles looks like your checking your email on your laptop.

another option is, instead of getting Novation Dicers, you can get the Traktor Kontrol X1. you can control your effects, your cue points, your samples ...
Taipanic 7:53 PM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:

another option is, instead of getting Novation Dicers, you can get the Traktor Kontrol X1. you can control your effects, your cue points, your samples ...

and yet another option is the Denon HC1000s. Control Cue Points, Loops, Samples, track selection, etc...

I'm of the opinion that the 62 is the better option over the 61. I think a lot of people who have gotten the 61 wish they would have picked up the 62 instead.
Dj Nyce 8:43 PM - 28 January, 2013
i do not understand why the 61 even exists.

if i see the 61 and then the 62 i'm not even looking back at the 61.
DJ Eighty 8 10:56 PM - 28 January, 2013
I always wanted a TTM-57SL and always passed. Had a Rane Empath/SL3/Traktor Kontrol X1 and you couldn't tell me nothing. I got me a 62........WTF was I thinking? For now on I'll always get a Rane mixer with everything built in it. DJ Nyce says what I said when they first dropped...........WTF is the 61 4? The 57 never had a "little brother", the 68 and 62 should be the STANDARD and ALL of the attention should be paid to making these GREAT mixers legends just like the 57 B4 them. I know DJ's that'll turn down money if they can't spin with their 57, that's how I want the 62/68 to be. DJ Jazzy Jeff is getting to that point now.........I just did the Philly Auto Show and spun on a 57, was lost and wanted my 62 badly.
WarpNote 1:37 AM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
From what Ive heard the 61 was billed as the SSL alternative to the 56(S),
and the 62 as the new 57. The 61 doesn't have the fx, dual usb's, and all the buttons,
but it is lower priced than the 62. And its still a great battle mixer.

Quote:
+1, if I were to trade in my 68, I would get the 62 in a heartbeat,
would never consider the 61 for my use...
vjmarcus 5:19 PM - 29 January, 2013
went with the 62 and LOVE IT !!!!

www.flickr.com
DJ Eighty 8 10:24 AM - 30 January, 2013
^^^^^...........nice.
dj_soo 10:41 AM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
went with the 62 and LOVE IT !!!!

www.flickr.com

Ikea Jerker is the best DJ table ever.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:46 PM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:

It's for ME!!!!
dreamkast 2:01 AM - 16 October, 2013
I'm in the boat at the moment of weighing between the 61 and 62. From my own conclusions I can't see anything wrong with the 61 if you're using it in conjunction with an X1 or F1 (which I have).
Niro 2:12 AM - 16 October, 2013
The 61 was designed with people that want to use their own midi devices. Some people liked dicers instead of the Rane buttons....etc. The mixer gives you ease of connection and Rane quality , but you can also have it your way.

I love the 62, but I also know a few people that use dicers and load their songs manually and would be great on a 61.

I believe and am pushing for the 62 to become a club standard. The ease of switch over with two sound cards and amazing sound quality.
DJKayce 5:05 PM - 17 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

It's for ME!!!!

Hmmmm ..... 61 is a great mixer indeed. 1st I bought the 62 when they first came out & returned it after a week then I bought the 61. Been rocking 61 since then with Denon dn-hc1000s and in Feb '14, I will add Pioneer sp1 controller to it if Dn-hc1000s are not supported to rock the Serato DJ.
Detroitbootybass 5:47 PM - 18 October, 2013
If I had the funds, I'd buy a 61 over a 62... but it's just a personal choice.
HighTopFade 6:50 PM - 18 October, 2013
The extra bells and whistles on the 62 is worth it.
dameon B 7:41 PM - 18 October, 2013
No regrets on my Rane 62. Not excited about the new Rane 64 or Pioneer mixer at all.
nachomusic 2:28 AM - 6 January, 2014
can i use post-fader efx in the rane 61?
dj_soo 2:36 AM - 6 January, 2014
you can route the internal software effects to a separate channel essentially making them post fader.
nachomusic 2:39 AM - 6 January, 2014
some tutorial to do that?
dj_soo 2:42 AM - 6 January, 2014
nachomusic 2:48 AM - 6 January, 2014
thanks ! (:
pdidy 3:43 AM - 6 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's for ME!!!!

Hmmmm ..... 61 is a great mixer indeed. 1st I bought the 62 when they first came out & returned it after a week then I bought the 61..

That shit rite there, is hard to believe.....smh
Asu 10:48 PM - 9 February, 2014
i believe at the end of the day the 61 will cost the same as the 62,if you factor in all the add ons you need...but the 62's 2nd sound card is a feature that's usually under estimated by many until they have to spin with a friend/other DJ's at a mobile gig or Convention type gigs.

And remember the 62 will sell very well when you decide to get rid of it.
AKIEM 11:01 PM - 9 February, 2014
how is the sound card different between 61 / 62 ?
WarpNote 11:03 PM - 9 February, 2014
Quote:

He's referring to the 2x USB ports...
Asu 11:03 PM - 9 February, 2014
Quote:

2 sound cards is what i was actually focusing on...ease of switch between DJs
AKIEM 11:03 PM - 9 February, 2014
check.
Asu 11:08 PM - 9 February, 2014
The booth outputs are also very useful on the 62 for a monitor...but overall,i just like plugging in the one usb vs using a 61 and connecting all this extra gear,it's easy to forget something at home...so i always personally prefer the simplest solution
monchi 11:14 PM - 9 February, 2014
XLR.
Kepik 9:50 AM - 10 February, 2014
Quote:

Not here. I'm selling mines on CL and people are low balling me for $1,200!
Asu 1:36 PM - 10 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

if it's in great condition,you can get more than that on eBay between $1400 - $1600,that's a great re-sale value considering the mixer has paid for it's self over and over
DJ Irv 2:51 PM - 10 February, 2014
Quote:

+1
sumoJr 8:05 PM - 10 February, 2014
what you do think the life of the 62 will be?
the 57 had a good life at roughly 10+ years

I dont mind paying a new item but would hate for serato/rane to become an
iphone business model now that dj ing (so it seems) to be at an all time high in popularity
lvmez 8:14 PM - 10 February, 2014
At least 6-8 years which will pay for itself ten fold.
Kepik 12:02 AM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

if it's in great condition,you can get more than that on eBay between $1400 - $1600,that's a great re-sale value considering the mixer has paid for it's self over and over

Oh mines is in mint condition. I haven't even removed the plastic film over the effects panel. I have considered ebay, but the the seller and paypal fees are what's preventing me from posting it on there. I'll be losing about $150 :(
Asu 1:19 AM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
Oh mines is in mint condition. I haven't even removed the plastic film over the effects panel. I have considered ebay, but the the seller and paypal fees are what's preventing me from posting it on there. I'll be losing about $150 :(

ok PM me,if you can wait 20days,i'll take it off your hands for $1400
Asu 1:22 AM - 11 February, 2014
Those seller fees on e-bay are crazy,i sold my 2009 macbook pro for like $750 and they charged me $89...i was so pissed,didn't know they had raised the seller fees that high.
DJ_Joblaze 1:18 AM - 20 June, 2014
Quote:
I always wanted a TTM-57SL and always passed. Had a Rane Empath/SL3/Traktor Kontrol X1 and you couldn't tell me nothing. I got me a 62........WTF was I thinking? For now on I'll always get a Rane mixer with everything built in it. DJ Nyce says what I said when they first dropped...........WTF is the 61 4? The 57 never had a "little brother", the 68 and 62 should be the STANDARD and ALL of the attention should be paid to making these GREAT mixers legends just like the 57 B4 them. I know DJ's that'll turn down money if they can't spin with their 57, that's how I want the 62/68 to be. DJ Jazzy Jeff is getting to that point now.........I just did the Philly Auto Show and spun on a 57, was lost and wanted my 62 badly.

Sadly the 57 will be the standard until the clubs jump on the 62.. Its good to be able to have mapped out settings on the 62 and 57
Asu 1:38 AM - 20 June, 2014
57 is still a solid mixer,i'm beginning to think they could have supported it since i heard the ddj-sx is usb 1.1 too...makes you think...i'll keep my 57 for now too
djransom 7:41 PM - 20 June, 2014
If my 909 ever dies on me the 62 will definitely be my next purchase.
lumas13 3:27 AM - 2 July, 2014
So, I just bought a 61 for $1000 new and the SP1 for $295, not a bad deal and the combination is great
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:52 PM - 2 July, 2014
I first bought the 61....... I loved it and used it for several months and then traded it to go back to a 57 because I missed the hardware effects. Even though the 61 could route the software effects post fader, it just didn't sound as good. Eventually I sold the 57 and went with the 62 and I've been happy ever since.
AKIEM 4:22 PM - 2 July, 2014
Quote:
I first bought the 61....... I loved it and used it for several months and then traded it to go back to a 57 because I missed the hardware effects. Even though the 61 could route the software effects post fader, it just didn't sound as good. Eventually I sold the 57 and went with the 62 and I've been happy ever since.

do you mean better, or you just wernt used to the sound?

the main effect I use on the 57 is the delay, and it sounds horrible as it trails out.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 4:36 PM - 2 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

do you mean better, or you just wernt used to the sound?

the main effect I use on the 57 is the delay, and it sounds horrible as it trails out.

I guess I wasn't used to it..... The Software effects of the Echo Out on the 61 didn't seem to be in time with the BPM of the song.
dj_double_s 11:25 PM - 14 July, 2014
I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I'm kind of in the same boat, trying to decide 61 vs 62 after my 10 year old mixer died. I bought a DDJ-SP1 awhile back, and take it out when I play on friend's setups.

I do like the dual USB on the 62, but I'd probably never use its MIDI controls, as the SP1 has a better tactile feel (to me anyways). At this point, with so many friends that have 62's (and could bring their gear for multi DJ setups), I'm really trying to figure out if the 62 is worth the extra $500.

Thoughts?
lumas13 3:05 AM - 15 July, 2014
How often would you actually use the dual usb
dj_soo 4:15 AM - 15 July, 2014
if you gig with other djs often, it's a godsend.

If you're a one man show, then not so much, but for some high profile gigs, I'll bring two laptops with the harddrive cloned and it's basically an easy backup system.
dj_double_s 5:28 AM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
How often would you actually use the dual usb

Good question. So used to having vinyl around to changeover these days, its probably not a huge deal breaker. 60% of the guys I gig with already have 62's, so maybe it'd work out.

Quote:
if you gig with other djs often, it's a godsend.

If you're a one man show, then not so much, but for some high profile gigs, I'll bring two laptops with the harddrive cloned and it's basically an easy backup system.

I do gig with other DJs, and I've used the changeover on their 62's, but if I went with the 61 I'd probably angle to have them bring their 62's to gigs.

I like the two laptop idea; super bulletproof!
dj_soo 8:15 AM - 15 July, 2014
I was having issues with my laptop recently and had a wedding where I went with the 2 laptop setup with my backup. Sure enough, I started getting crazy dropouts in the middle of playing (usually this requires a reboot to solve with my problem laptop). I simply loaded up the same song and mixed out, rebooted my main laptop and mixed back in seamlessly.

I just got a new laptop and re-analyzed all my files so I don't have this problem anymore, but it was a lifesaver for the couple gigs I had before my new laptop arrived.
lumas13 8:35 AM - 15 July, 2014
The Thru function on the 61 would work since you bring vinyl with you, either way, both are good mixers
Mighty Dragon Sounds 12:51 PM - 15 July, 2014
I love the on board effects of the 62. They are more accurate then their software counterparts in Serato DJ.
dj_double_s 2:25 PM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
I love the on board effects of the 62. They are more accurate then their software counterparts in Serato DJ.

The DDJ-SP1 is pretty accurate too. Only bad thing, using SSL, the Pioneer provided MIDI map does nothing for effects.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 2:31 PM - 15 July, 2014
The DDJ-SP1 has onboard EFX?
dj_double_s 2:55 PM - 15 July, 2014
My mistake, the DDJ-SP1 just MIDI maps to those effects plug ins in Serato DJ.
dj_double_s 3:37 PM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
I was having issues with my laptop recently and had a wedding where I went with the 2 laptop setup with my backup. Sure enough, I started getting crazy dropouts in the middle of playing (usually this requires a reboot to solve with my problem laptop). I simply loaded up the same song and mixed out, rebooted my main laptop and mixed back in seamlessly.

I just got a new laptop and re-analyzed all my files so I don't have this problem anymore, but it was a lifesaver for the couple gigs I had before my new laptop arrived.

Curious: Was this using SSL or SDJ? I'd never seen a dropout in SSL since day one, SDJ scares me sometimes. My solution to the dilemma you described was to quick mix to vinyl and reboot.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 3:48 PM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
My mistake, the DDJ-SP1 just MIDI maps to those effects plug ins in Serato DJ.

Damn.... That would have been cool.... It would be like the RMX 1000 and SP-1 all rolled into one.
dj_double_s 4:29 PM - 15 July, 2014
That is the device Pioneer should have built for the SP1. They'd probably charge $1000 for it tho; lol
Asu 4:41 PM - 15 July, 2014
from TTM-57SL...logical upgrade is Sixty-Two....i always think about what's more user friendly to another DJ i may spin with...my 2 cents.
dj_double_s 4:45 PM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
from TTM-57SL...logical upgrade is Sixty-Two....i always think about what's more user friendly to another DJ i may spin with...my 2 cents.

Excellent point!

Also, I just thought of resale. There are no listings for sixty twos on craigslist, there are however 20 day old listings for sixty ones.
DJBotz 5:27 PM - 15 July, 2014
Rane 62 FTW! If your serious about what you do, always get the best, especially if the difference is a few hundred dollars. Makes no sense at all to get a 61.
DJKayce 6:37 PM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I'm kind of in the same boat, trying to decide 61 vs 62 after my 10 year old mixer died. I bought a DDJ-SP1 awhile back, and take it out when I play on friend's setups.

I do like the dual USB on the 62, but I'd probably never use its MIDI controls, as the SP1 has a better tactile feel (to me anyways). At this point, with so many friends that have 62's (and could bring their gear for multi DJ setups), I'm really trying to figure out if the 62 is worth the extra $500.

Thoughts?

Dude save your money, since you already have the SP1 then go with 61. SP1 dose everything 62 has plus more. Unless you are still using SSL then 62 or U play out a lot with other DJs then 62 is the winner. 61 is a very good mixer that most DJs often ignores. My 2 cents.
Asu 6:51 PM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
Dude save your money

You save more via buying gear with good resale value...62 is great down the line...even decent / well maintained 57SLs are selling for $700-$800 after all these years...think about that too....my $1 lol
AKIEM 9:16 PM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
Rane 62 FTW! If your serious about what you do, always get the best, especially if the difference is a few hundred dollars. Makes no sense at all to get a 61.

There actually is a argument in favor of the 61 and that's the flexibility and modularity of using external controllers.
lumas13 10:01 PM - 15 July, 2014
Buying a 57 at $700-$800 is not the best move
lumas13 10:02 PM - 15 July, 2014
Or sell the SP1 and get the 62
DJBotz 10:05 PM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

There actually is a argument in favor of the 61 and that's the flexibility and modularity of using external controllers.

Maybe so, but theres also the resale argument, the 62 will resell for more money down the road. Also Having everything in one is less to worry about "forgetting" at home. Of course, the views expressed are exclusively my own, just my 2 cents. To each their own. I chose the 62, and after gigging with a friends 61, im so very glad i went with the 62.
dj_double_s 10:08 PM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe so, but theres also the resale argument, the 62 will resell for more money down the road. Also Having everything in one is less to worry about "forgetting" at home. Of course, the views expressed are exclusively my own, just my 2 cents. To each their own. I chose the 62, and after gigging with a friends 61, im so very glad i went with the 62.

There's also cases where there's room for just the mixer but not the SP1, like my gig last week.
dj_double_s 10:11 PM - 15 July, 2014
BTW: thanks for everyone's 2 cents. There are things here I've thought of, and things I hadn't. Every bit helps!
DJ Michael Timex 10:25 PM - 15 July, 2014
Originally before i bought the 62 i had a 57 like everyone else an the migration to SDJ had me a bit pissed but i went ahead and bought a 62 this Feb, i can honestly the 62 makes an ass out of the 57 anyday and I'm glad i didn't settle for a 61. Everything i need is there on the front and the shift buttons for beat grids and to go into slip mode, i hardly have to touch the comp let alone look at it. It's one of the best purchases ive made ever in my dj'ng hobby.
DJKayce 12:03 AM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:

+ 1 here.
62 a good ass mixer so don't get me wrong but using SP1 with 62 is an overkill.
dj_double_s 2:07 AM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

+ 1 here.

I agree, it's one or the other.
dj_soo 2:59 AM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

+ 1 here.

I use a 62, SP1, and Dicers.

It's a bit overkill, but I like the setup.
DJKayce 3:51 AM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+ 1 here.

Why not add Serato Remote to the line up? Am sure you have it too but just didn't mention it.
If money is not an issue for him, he can use as many add on to the 62. And it's still fine but he was asking if it worth spending the xtra doh for the 62 than 61 since he already got the SP1.
A friend of mine has SP1 with DDJ SX which works for him fine but I don't see the point.
dj_double_s 4:17 AM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:

Why not add Serato Remote to the line up?

I spent the 20 bucks on this before the SP1. It feels a bit unnatural. I like buttons that have a bit of bounce to them.
DJKayce 4:25 AM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Why not add Serato Remote to the line up?

I spent the 20 bucks on this before the SP1. It feels a bit unnatural. I like buttons that have a bit of bounce to them.

+ 1
I have the Remote too but never used it that much. I use more of the SP1 with 61. But recently, my SX has been doing the most work for me. Also VCI 380 for small gigs.
Mr. Goodkat 4:28 AM - 16 July, 2014
how are these mixers doing with sdj and ssl? i remember a few people complaining about the buffer settings for pnt with sdj.
dj_soo 4:30 AM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
how are these mixers doing with sdj and ssl? i remember a few people complaining about the buffer settings for pnt with sdj.

still not great. If you have a top of the line macbook pro, it helps tho...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+ 1 here.

Why not add Serato Remote to the line up? Am sure you have it too but just didn't mention it.
If money is not an issue for him, he can use as many add on to the 62. And it's still fine but he was asking if it worth spending the xtra doh for the 62 than 61 since he already got the SP1.
A friend of mine has SP1 with DDJ SX which works for him fine but I don't see the point.

For me, I personally hate midi pages. I want everything there without having to tab through different command groups. So I can use the SP1 for effects and cues (need the 8 for SDJ), the 62 for hardware effects, the sampler, and the dicers for loops/loop rolls.
Asu 1:16 PM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
So I can use the SP1 for effects and cues (need the 8 for SDJ), the 62 for hardware effects, the sampler, and the dicers for loops/loop rolls.

Daym,that reminds me of science lab work in high school lol...bet u can fly a jet bro ha ha
dj_double_s 6:37 PM - 18 July, 2014
So I went with a sixty two after all. Haven't decided whether or not to keep the SP1, I like the pads much better (of course its still useless with SSL).

What sealed the deal for me was:
* XLR main outs (didn't realize the sixty one used TRS, really odd choice by Rane)
* I keep mixers for a long time, didn't want to be passed by in a few years when everything has two USBs
* My friends wont be "WTF" trying to figure out the sixty one layout
* If I ever want to sell, I'd get closer to what I paid than with the sixty one
Asu 6:43 PM - 18 July, 2014
Quote:
So I went with a sixty two after all. Haven't decided whether or not to keep the SP1, I like the pads much better (of course its still useless with SSL).

* XLR main outs (didn't realize the sixty one used TRS, really odd choice by Rane)
* I keep mixers for a long time, didn't want to be passed by in a few years when everything has two USBs

Good choice bro...like i said it's either 57SL or 62...nothing in between makes the jump logical...and you'll have a big smile everyday
dj_double_s 7:16 AM - 19 July, 2014
So after breaking it in a bit today, definitely the right choice. This mixer is a beast!
lumas13 8:09 AM - 19 July, 2014
Enjoy
DJKayce 8:11 AM - 19 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Good choice bro...like i said it's either 57SL or 62...nothing in between makes the jump logical...and you'll have a big smile everyday

GOOD. Even if you decides to keep the SP1. I think they are better pads than the 62. but everything comes down to you. As long you are happy, we are happy. So long G.
Mr. Goodkat 7:27 PM - 19 July, 2014
Quote:
I like the pads much better (of course its still useless with SSL).

you cant map the SP1 in ssl?
dj_double_s 8:07 PM - 20 July, 2014
The pads do cues in SSL, not much else.
djransom 9:12 PM - 20 July, 2014
Definitely plan on purchasing a 62 at the top of the new year.
geeunot 6:18 PM - 21 July, 2014
Use SDJ with 62 so the sp1 will work too.
Mr. Goodkat 6:46 PM - 21 July, 2014
Quote:

seems like someone would have mapped it to ssl by now. i know the x1 has all the scroll and loop features. Is there not a way to do the same thing with the SP1? but i guess the x1 does have the NI midi editor.
dj_double_s 7:27 PM - 21 July, 2014
Quote:
Use SDJ with 62 so the sp1 will work too.

It's does work in SDJ, but to me SSL has better sound quality.
dj_double_s 7:28 PM - 21 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

seems like someone would have mapped it to ssl by now. i know the x1 has all the scroll and loop features. Is there not a way to do the same thing with the SP1? but i guess the x1 does have the NI midi editor.

Don't want to mislead you guys here: I am using pioneer provided mapping, which really only does cue points in SSL.
Mr. Goodkat 7:56 PM - 21 July, 2014
ah, i just thought that SSL might be able to do some loops and scrolling. but you are saying only cues?
dj_double_s 7:59 PM - 21 July, 2014
At least with pioneer provided mapping. If I was more midi file savvy, could prob add to theirs.
Mr. Goodkat 11:08 PM - 21 July, 2014
pioneerdj.com

seems like it does a lot?
dj_double_s 2:50 PM - 22 July, 2014
You are right. Updated the midi mapping file, and all of these functions work now.
thorissr 6:51 AM - 3 August, 2014
I use the SP1 and Serato Remote with my 62.

I like the fact that Remote displays the names of my 24 samples, making it easier and faster to scroll through banks A-D and selecting my desired sample quicker than having to utilize my computer as a visual aid. A big plus is that I no longer have to guess or memorize my forever changing sample locations.

I use the Sp1 because of the large pads, slicer and 8 cue points versus 5 on my 62.

I pretty much use the library scroll knobs and hardware effects on my 62.

I guess it all depends on one's workflow preference and reasoning behind owning what can be call redundant devices.