DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Video Screens for Mobile DJ

Blackdevil77 9:07 PM - 7 February, 2012
Hey all. I'm just wondering what you guys use for video displays at your gigs. I'm seeing a lot of mixed opinions, some preferring projectors, some preferring plasma screens and others preferring LCD. Basically, my budget is about 1000 per display, not including the stand. Projectors seem nice because they seem much easier for transport. My only concern is I would have to use it as REAR projection most of the time, and don't know of any portable projector screens that are rear projection. Do they make portable rear projection screens? If so, how much are they?

If the LCD/Plasma screen route is the preferred route, what is the max size screen I can get that they make stand for? I was looking at Panasonic Plasma screens for about a grand each and they are 60 inches, but every stand I've seen doesn't support a screen size that big. Maybe i'd just have to go smaller if that's the case.
dj-freestyle 9:11 PM - 7 February, 2012
we use all the 3 you talked about at my company. I prefer the prjector and strectch screens are rear projection. I like using plasmas but for effect the stech screens get the most kids watching. go to www.djscreen.com , we use them alot.
Blackdevil77 9:46 PM - 7 February, 2012
That looks fantastic! But I'm assuming that's if your going to be using one large screen, correct? Is there a way to get this 2 work as 2 slightly smaller screens on both sides of the DJ booth?
dj-freestyle 10:06 PM - 7 February, 2012
Ya i use two prejectors sometimes and two smaller strectch screens or i put plasmas on each side. up to you really
latindj 1:34 AM - 8 February, 2012
Quote:
Ya i use two prejectors sometimes and two smaller strectch screens or i put plasmas on each side. up to you really

I prefer plasmas. The screen/projection is all in one and they are relatively cheap these days. The downside is that they are not as portable and screen size is fixed. It all depends on what you want to deal with. Projectors need more setup and are typically used with much larger screens which will cost you a bunch...projector and screen around 2-3K. 46" Plasma around $500.
Blackdevil77 1:54 AM - 8 February, 2012
I heard plasma's are a real pain to transport. Is it true you can't even lay them down on their side? I saw cases for plasmas costing over 800 bucks EACH! I've seen projectors for under a grand. It's just the matter of the screen to project it on, set-up etc.
lvmez 2:07 AM - 8 February, 2012
I use a da-lite screen 6x8. I use a the rear projection screen with it. I also use a BenQ 812st projector with it. Look great. Here is a pic:

[IMG]i1222.photobucket.com[/IMG]
lvmez 2:09 AM - 8 February, 2012
I'm really tempted to get two 40" samsung lcd's. the cost isn't the problem, its the cases for the lcd's. they cost too much to make. I wish there was heavy duty carrying bags for lcd's.
Joee 2:26 AM - 8 February, 2012
Blackdevil77 2:26 AM - 8 February, 2012
YES EXACTLY! It's the cost for the cases to safely transport these things! In many cases (no pun intended) the case costs more the display screen itself!
lvmez 2:44 AM - 8 February, 2012
Quote:
YES EXACTLY! It's the cost for the cases to safely transport these things! In many cases (no pun intended) the case costs more the display screen itself!

+1
lvmez 2:45 AM - 8 February, 2012

IMO those screens look cheap. If you are going with screens, get a da-lite.
Blackdevil77 3:02 AM - 8 February, 2012
Do you have links to the rear projection screen set-up you have? I saw some da-lite screens, but they were around 800 bucks! unless I'm looking at the wrong thing
lvmez 3:21 AM - 8 February, 2012
Yep that's how much they cost.
Blackdevil77 3:37 AM - 8 February, 2012
oh wow, thats just as painful as the cost for the flat panel screen cases. I guess there's no easy way out lol
DJ'Que 4:20 AM - 8 February, 2012
I run 2x50" plasmas with the stands. These New Plasmas are almost as thin as lcds & led's. I can carry my 50" by myself. they have covers that are easy to make. you can go to any fabric store and get the Bag Material and a Zipper and get them sewed and put a handle on it.
lvmez 5:00 AM - 8 February, 2012
Quote:
oh wow, thats just as painful as the cost for the flat panel screen cases. I guess there's no easy way out lol

look on craigslist for the screens. sometimes you get lucky. the screen comes with it's own carrying case as well. I wouldn't go larger that 6x8. with the legs it's over 11ft. 5x7 looks nice.
latindj 6:53 AM - 8 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

look on craigslist for the screens. sometimes you get lucky. the screen comes with it's own carrying case as well. I wouldn't go larger that 6x8. with the legs it's over 11ft. 5x7 looks nice.

+1

and yes, those stretch screens look like grandma's panty hose hanging out to dry...
latindj 6:56 AM - 8 February, 2012
I don't have cases for my plasma's...but yeah, you're not supposed to lay them down...but why would you because that would take up way too much space. I just wrap them up in some old blankets, load them in first in the van, then position my speakers so that they hold them in place...works fine. I also modified some of the easy lift speaker stands (the larger ones) by putting a bracket on them. I set up the stands and carry my plasmas over and just hook them on and I'm done.
Blackdevil77 11:35 AM - 8 February, 2012
I'll have to give craigslist a check.

Hmmm.... Maybe I can make my own boxes for the plasma's based on the box they come in. Just instead of cardboard, it'll be plywood
HandsomeRobDJ 1:51 PM - 8 February, 2012
Quote:

My job has sent me to TONS of special training and certification classes for video displays. Plasmas should NOT be laid face down, and laying the up on their side is risky. As far as these SUPER expensive cases everyone keeps mentioning forget about it. Buy some 1/4" plywood from home depot and the rest of the hardware (laminate, handles, hinges, aluminum corners, padding foam) from ReliableHardware.com. I'm sure you can build for a very reasonable price : )
Blackdevil77 2:06 PM - 8 February, 2012
And its the fact that these plasma displays are so delicate that makes me wonder how they've become popular with mobile entertainers. It seems they aren't ment to be frequently transported. I wish there was some more durable alternative that won't break the bank
lvmez 3:16 PM - 8 February, 2012
why are guys still considering plasmas?

They have high end led lcd's for great prices. they are thin and light. I need to look into getting padded bags made.
Blackdevil77 3:23 PM - 8 February, 2012
Only reason I was considering plasma was size to cost to performance ratio. They have great pictures and you can get a fairly large set for a low price.
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:38 PM - 8 February, 2012
^^ You can for LCD and LED too. Even if it costs you an extra $100 i still think its worth it to go the LED,LCD route.
Blackdevil77 3:40 PM - 8 February, 2012
That's all it would cost, is an extra hundread bucks? How are these things as far as durability?
Certified Quality Entertainment 4:04 PM - 8 February, 2012
I'm not saying it's $100 on the nose, but you can certainly get lcd and led in the 50" range for under $1000
lvmez 4:12 PM - 8 February, 2012
look into 42" led's. well worth it. the weight factor is worth it.
Blackdevil77 4:12 PM - 8 February, 2012
I didn't think you meant exactly 100 bucks lol. But for something in the 50" range for under a grand definitely seems do-able. How are LCD's as far as durability?
lvmez 4:15 PM - 8 February, 2012
get them from costco, they have a great warranty.
Blackdevil77 4:15 PM - 8 February, 2012
Isn't 42 inches a little small? I was thinking at least 50, especially if it's a large venue
latindj 5:21 PM - 8 February, 2012
Quote:
why are guys still considering plasmas?

They have high end led lcd's for great prices. they are thin and light. I need to look into getting padded bags made.

I agree. But I bought mine a few years ago when plasmas were way cheaper. I'm gonna use them til they quit...so far, no problems... If you are just getting into it, def go for LED or LCD...
dj-freestyle 5:24 PM - 8 February, 2012
We use 50's and they are sweet but ya the case is the worst part. you cant have them shipped from anywhere because it would be a fortune so you have to buy from a place near buy.
Shorty 5:47 AM - 14 November, 2015
Not sure if anyone's still paying attention to this thread, but started doing a little online price shopping and it seems that the LED/LCD TV option is the way to go. Barring spending $500+ for TV stand trusses and going with something like the Gator Frameworks option ($100 each), for around $1500/1800, I can get two 50" TV's, decent cases for the TV's, and two stands as opposed to around $1,000 for two of the 5' x 7' screens and trusses from DJScreen.com in addition to $700+ a piece for good short-throw projectors. Is there an advantage of going with the screens versus TV's in terms of picture quality?
Scully DJ Services 5:18 PM - 14 November, 2015
Almost any decent TV will have MUCH better picture quality, contrast, and color vibrancy than a good projector
O.B.1 7:55 PM - 14 November, 2015
The newer LED video wall panels look pretty slick. I like that you can build on them over time to create larger and larger screens.
Shorty 12:35 AM - 15 November, 2015
Quote:
Almost any decent TV will have MUCH better picture quality, contrast, and color vibrancy than a good projector

Yeah I kind of thought that the LCD's might be a better picture and maybe it's just the sheer size potential with the projectors and screens that are so attractive versus something more compact than the TV's. I'm thinking two 50" LCD's on some basic stands might work well. Too bad cases for the TV's are like $250 each (about 1/2 the cost of the TV itself) which puts a bit of a wrinkle in the whole thing. Gator does make like a padded cover for TV's for about $125 but not sure if I'd want to spend more and get more protection.
DJ GOODFOOT 12:47 AM - 15 November, 2015
I had a show in a warehouse last week and used a projector to throw the video onto a white wall about 20' up off the ground. The image probably ended up being about 30'x 20', looked great and took seconds to set up. This is where the projector is a great option. For most shows I think a couple of 50" screens on stands is much easier to work with for space and looks better.
Shorty 1:59 AM - 15 November, 2015
Quote:
For most shows I think a couple of 50" screens on stands is much easier to work with for space and looks better.

Good point thanks for the insight.
Shorty 8:25 AM - 15 November, 2015
Found these "outdoor covers" on Amazon for less than $100 each. Wonder if they would work for transport. It's not like I would be man-handling them so as long as I'm careful loading and unloading, then maybe I can save some money.

www.amazon.com
slimmjimm 3:51 PM - 15 November, 2015
Quote:
Found these "outdoor covers" on Amazon for less than $100 each. Wonder if they would work for transport. It's not like I would be man-handling them so as long as I'm careful loading and unloading, then maybe I can save some money.

www.amazon.com

It does't look like that offers much in the way of actual "padded protection". Sure it's a cover, but it's not going to protect the screen from damage, or pad the bezel. If your gun shy on cases, you could always use the original box, but it will break down after a while (depending on how much use use them). Best bet is a case, try and buy used, or build your own. You can fit 2 TV's in a case depending on how big it is and how you pack it.
Shorty 11:14 PM - 15 November, 2015
This is the most cost-effective option that I've seen thus far in terms of cases:

www.amazon.com
DJKROOKS 3:55 AM - 25 November, 2015
I would go with 50" Screens, good thing black friday is around the corner.
also, go with padded covers. Yeah you'll save money if you go with outdoor covers and of course you'll be careful with them, but the one time you actually need a decent cover your padded covers would probably save you. All I'm saying is you want to protect your investment!
Certified Quality Entertainment 4:04 PM - 25 November, 2015
Road assess.com has some good cases as well. I got my 2 50" road cases from them.

My honest opinion is don't go cheap with protection.
Rebelguy 7:51 PM - 25 November, 2015
50inch would be the bare minimum I would purchase nowadays. I have clients asking for 80 inch monitors so get the biggest you can afford and charge accordingly.
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:23 AM - 26 November, 2015
Agreed. I got 50s as I am usually by myself and 50 is as big as I can do comfortably by myself. I would have liked to do 60 but that would have taken me into a whole other price range I wasn't prepared to do once factoring in the price differences of the tv and cases
Shorty 4:05 PM - 29 November, 2015
Quote:
Road assess.com has some good cases as well. I got my 2 50" road cases from them.

What's that website?
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:26 AM - 30 November, 2015
Stupid auto correct! Lol
Roadcasesusa.com. Sorry bout that!
DJKROOKS 3:33 AM - 30 November, 2015
we know whats on gianni's search history lol
Djc Jimenez 9:24 AM - 30 November, 2015
What's a good video screen for a mobile dj that's easy to setup? I kinda like the ezcinema series by elite screens (Watchwww.youtube.com) but rear projection would be an issue, maybe the solution would be to get a short throw projector and place it a few inches in front of the screen.
Certified Quality Entertainment 4:40 PM - 30 November, 2015
Quote:
we know whats on gianni's search history lol

Lol. That's funny
pdidy 3:19 AM - 1 December, 2015
Quote:
What's a good video screen for a mobile dj that's easy to setup? I kinda like the ezcinema series by elite screens (Watchwww.youtube.com) but rear projection would be an issue, maybe the solution would be to get a short throw projector and place it a few inches in front of the screen.

thats what i use with a short throw Watchwww.youtube.com
Shorty 10:12 PM - 1 December, 2015
Quote:
Roadcasesusa.com. Sorry bout that!

Haha no worries thanks for the link. I'll have to check them out.
Djc Jimenez 10:13 PM - 1 December, 2015
pdidy, would you prefer an ultra short throw projector so it could sit right in front of the screen? that way you avoid people walking in the middle of the projector and the screen.
lvmez 11:29 PM - 1 December, 2015
For mobile DJ's, short throw is the only way to go.
Cuervo 11:38 PM - 1 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
What's a good video screen for a mobile dj that's easy to setup? I kinda like the ezcinema series by elite screens (<span style="padding: 0; margin: 0; margin-left: 5px;">Watchsavefrom.net style="padding: 0; margin: 0; margin-left: 5px;">savefrom.net) but rear projection would be an issue, maybe the solution would be to get a short throw projector and place it a few inches in front of the screen.

thats what i use with a short throw <span style="padding: 0; margin: 0; margin-left: 5px;">Watchsavefrom.net style="padding: 0; margin: 0; margin-left: 5px;">savefrom.net

What camera are you using? I been using an Optoma 3000 lumens with the Brightnes and sharpens real low and the videos does not look like yours. I want to do some video demos to try to get some small gigs.

mixlive.tv

My projector is a short throw and i am using the 10x7 reversible stretch screen.

www.stretchyscreens.com
pdidy 2:24 AM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
pdidy, would you prefer an ultra short throw projector so it could sit right in front of the screen? that way you avoid people walking in the middle of the projector and the screen.

Quote:
For mobile DJ's, short throw is the only way to go.

When it comes to projectors the consensus is shorter is better.
pdidy 3:10 AM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
What camera are you using? I been using an Optoma 3000 lumens with the Brightnes and sharpens real low and the videos does not look like yours. I want to do some video demos to try to get some small gigs.

mixlive.tv

My projector is a short throw and i am using the 10x7 reversible stretch screen.

www.stretchyscreens.com

I USE A BenQ MX620ST Short-Throw HD 3D Wireless Projector 3000

I also have the Global Truss Video Screen/Back Drop screen for rear projection www.amazon.com
But i dont have a video demo of it yet.
Cuervo 8:56 PM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

mixlive.tv

www.stretchyscreens.com

I USE A BenQ MX620ST Short-Throw HD 3D Wireless Projector 3000

I think that my video does not look good cause i am using a pink wall in that video and a $90 hd microsoft camera lol But with the stretchy screen looks pretty good.
I also have the Global Truss Video Screen/Back Drop screen for rear projection www.amazon.com
But i dont have a video demo of it yet.
Cuervo 7:59 PM - 4 October, 2016
Can we do a video wall with 4 60" tv LEDs to use with Serato video or Mixemergency?

Watchwww.youtube.com
Rebelguy 8:49 PM - 4 October, 2016
Quote:
Can we do a video wall with 4 60" tv LEDs to use with Serato video or Mixemergency?

Watchwww.youtube.com

Mix Emergency or Serato Video do split their single over multiple TVs. You would need a special processor to achieve that.
Cuervo 9:17 PM - 4 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

<span style="padding: 0; margin: 0; margin-left: 5px;">Watchsavefrom.net style="padding: 0; margin: 0; margin-left: 5px;">savefrom.net

Mix Emergency or Serato Video do split their single over multiple TVs. You would need a special processor to achieve that.

Special processor? I was thinking do do this and rent the set up here where i live, i have a few guys interested, im using Mixemergency and i didnt know that you cand split over multiple TVs well i never tried it.
I am using a projector with a big reversible screen and works great but not every where.
O.B.1 6:24 PM - 10 October, 2016
I have been using 3x50" flat screen monitors set up vertically as a facade with good results. I am able to stretch one large image across all 3 screens:

www.facebook.com
Joee 6:40 PM - 10 October, 2016
very nice!
slimmjimm 8:35 PM - 10 October, 2016
What hardware are you using for stretching on the screens?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:34 AM - 11 October, 2016
Quote:
What hardware are you using for stretching on the screens?

Was gonna ask the same thing.
Rebelguy 1:19 AM - 11 October, 2016
Quote:
I have been using 3x50" flat screen monitors set up vertically as a facade with good results. I am able to stretch one large image across all 3 screens:

www.facebook.com

What aspect ratio does are the screens at in that orientation?
O.B.1 7:09 PM - 11 October, 2016
The only hardware I'm using is a late 2013 Macbook Pro 15 inch with Nvidia GeForce 750M 2GB graphics card. Thunderbolt port out to HDMI adapter, Thunderbolt port out to HDMI adapter, and HDMI output plus the built-in retina display equals a total of 4 simultaneous displays.
The screens are running at 1080x1920 for a total resolution of 3240x1920.
At first I was worried about overclocking the graphics chip but everything seems to be running smoothly. The computer does get warm, but about the same as running a single video output for a 4-5 hr set.
O.B.1 7:13 PM - 11 October, 2016
Also I found a solution to bezel management by slightly increasing the resolution on the center screen so the borders appear more natural/fluid when an image passes between screens.
DJ Reflex 12:52 AM - 14 October, 2016
El-Cheapo version is using the shear shower curtains from Wal-Mart. I sewed black borders around them at 4:3 aspect ratio (to match my projectors) and use them for rear projection. Material and sewing cost less than $50 and it mounts on regular DJ trussing.

i1148.photobucket.com
Laz219 2:13 AM - 22 April, 2019
Reckon he might have found something, 7 years after the original post....
frances galla 7:14 AM - 5 May, 2019
How are your experience with video walls? I use 4 2x2 55" Phillipes video walls such as this: dynamo-led-displays.co.uk and it works great
Res-Q 3:48 PM - 18 December, 2019
Pulling up this thread to see what's new since tech is evolving so fast.
I am about to renew my video setup for next year, I still want something portable but with a high contrast.
What are you guys using nowadays as far as TVs, I was thinking into buying cpu monitors instead. They are cheaper for the same size.
popnwave 6:46 PM - 18 December, 2019
I am waiting for video wall (segments) to cross into the $1k territory. Otherwise projector and fast fold screens still feel like the way to go unless I'm gonna bring some big ass LCD TVs along.
Res-Q 6:55 PM - 18 December, 2019
I hear ya on the walls Pop.
Personally I am done with projectors. Spandex are cool for rear projection, but I find them tacky and I dont find foldable screens conveniant when the projector needs to be seated in front of it right where the audience is.
popnwave 8:07 PM - 18 December, 2019
I guess monitors/tvs are so stinking light now transporting them isn't as bad as it was 10 years ago. Plus I am always unhappy with loss of contrast with projectors unless the lighting is perfect.
Res-Q 9:13 PM - 18 December, 2019
same here great point! weight is not as big as an issue as it used to be.
but i am surprised everywhere I look I see TVs but nobody talking about monitors.
Any reason why nobody looked into those?
For instance the ACER EB550Kbmiiipx has got a great contrast and very light too
popnwave 9:20 PM - 18 December, 2019
Doesn't look like that model made it to the US.

You would THINK a monitor would be cheaper here since it doesn't include crap like a tuner or speakers, but they are almost always more expensive here.

I can grab a 75" 4K HDR Samsung these days for US$750.
Res-Q 9:45 PM - 18 December, 2019
I would think so too, and maybe lighter too, that's why I start looking into monitors specs and prices now.
which 75" did u look at, i wanna compare the prices here
popnwave 9:49 PM - 18 December, 2019
Samsung 75" Class - 6 Series - 4K UHD LED LCD TV

Model UN75NU6950FXZA

BrandSamsung
Dimensions (with stand)14 in. x 41.6 in. x 66.3 in.
Dimensions (without stand)2.4 in. x 38 in. x 66.3 in.
Display TypeLED
High Dynamic Range (HDR)HDR 10 Plus
Inputs - HDMI 1HDMI 2.0
Inputs - HDMI 2HDMI 2.0
Inputs - HDMI 3-
Inputs - HDMI 4-
ModelUN75NU6950FXZA
Motion TechnologyMotion Rate 120
Native Refresh Rate60Hz
Number of Digital Optical Audio Inputs1
Number of HDMI Inputs2
Number of USB Ports1
Resolution3840x2160 (4K UHD)
Screen Size Class75 in.
Smart PlatformSmart Operating System
Speaker Watts (Each)20 W
VESA Mounting Standard400x400
Weight - with Stand84.87 lb.
Weight - without Stand81.57 lb.
Wireless Standard802.11n
Res-Q 10:01 PM - 18 December, 2019
Thanks a lot, that looks really interesting pricewise, unfortunately I don't see it anywhere for sale in europe.
I dont think I would go that big for a purchase though considering how fast technology is changing and also how the price drops in a matter of a few years.
If I needed something huge for a private event I would probably rent.
But for quick mobile gigs, I think I would go with something around 50" X2 on totems.
Res-Q 10:08 PM - 18 December, 2019
I just checked, the cheapest samsung 75" in europe is 1185€ so around 1300$ for the SAMSUNG UE75RU7092KXXC
www.lcd-compare.com
so you guys can buy 2 for the price we pay 1 :p damn we are getting ripped off lol