Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Crates Won't Stay In Order

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL2
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Blackdevil77 5:11 PM - 30 January, 2012
I remember seeing a thread about this, but if I remember correctly, that person was using an external hard drive. I'm not using an external hard drive and the crates won't stay in the same order each time I open Serato. At first it seemed like only the crates I add songs to move to the top of the list, but it's not all the crates, just most of them. What is causing this?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 11:42 PM - 30 January, 2012
Do you have Scratch Live read your itunes library?

Is it the order of the songs within the crates or is it the actual crates that rearrange?

Is you HD partitioned?

Do you have more than one internal HD?
Blackdevil77 2:44 AM - 31 January, 2012
Only one internal hard drive. I'm not entirely sure about what you mean by partitioned lol. The songs in the crates, I'm not sure yet, I've been organizing my music, and nope, no longer have serato reading my iTunes library. When I did have it read my iTunes library, they would stay in order.
Blackdevil77 3:21 PM - 31 January, 2012
In the other thread about this with the guy that was using an external hard drive, he was told to make sure organize itunes library was off I believe. He said when he tried that, it wiped out his whole serato library, so I'm a little nervous about trying that.
Blackdevil77 3:30 PM - 31 January, 2012
Also, is there a way to delete songs from serato, not just on serato? I know cntrl delete gets rid of the song in serato, but is there a way to delete the file completely through serato?
Konix 3:31 PM - 31 January, 2012
Ctrl+Shift+Delete (or Command+Shift+Delete on Macs) removes the file(s) from Scratch Live and from the hard drive.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:46 PM - 31 January, 2012
Konix suggestion for deleting is accurate.

The times I have seen crate always appear in a different order than you left them is if music is stored on two HD's or a single HD that has been partitioned.

If you add the location column to your library, do they all point to the Macintosh HD? Do you see any deviation in the file paths of the songs in the crates that seem to allows pop to the top?
Blackdevil77 7:13 PM - 31 January, 2012
Just checked and nope. Everything does all point to the macintosh HD. It seems like the crates I add songs to move to the bottom of the list and crates I didn't update make their way to the top
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:43 PM - 31 January, 2012
What column are your crates sorted by when you open the program?

Is it putting the crates into alphabetical order?

Can you take screen shots for me before you close and then after you reopen?

Can you make a new crate, call it the same name, drag the same songs into it and then does it stay in position when you close and reopen?
Blackdevil77 9:30 PM - 31 January, 2012
I actually took a video. Watch in the video, I click and drag 2 songs to crates, close scratch live and re-open. The crate titled "mainstream radio" moves from under "holiday songs" which has 2 sub crates titled christmas and halloween, to the top of the list. You see me click and drag it back to it's previous spot at the end. What it looks like is it's completely random. Doesn't seem to matter if you put songs in the crate or not, it's not going in alphabetical order, they are just randomly loading in a different order, sometimes more so then others.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:46 PM - 31 January, 2012
Can you make a new crate, call it the same name, drag the same songs into it and then does it stay in position when you close and reopen?

hmm, I watched it twice and I see what you are explaining. The file that contains the crate order is the neworder.pref file. Perhaps it has corrupted. We can rename it but it will change the order of your crates most likely. Luckily after that you should be able to arrange them however you want.

The file is located on your internal HD. Close Scratch Live before doing any of this. As always having a backup is a wise idea.

Open your Macintosh HD / User / Music /_Serato_ and you will see the neworder.pref file. Rename this to OLDneworder.pref (no spaces) and close the window.

Open Scratch Live. Are your crates in alphabetical order? Can you move crates and have them keep that location?
Blackdevil77 11:19 PM - 31 January, 2012
That sucks, but I suppose there are worse things lol. What could cause the file to corrupt?

I'm backing up everything now. I cleared one of my hard drives and am copying the entire music folder over exactly, just in case something happens lol. It need about an hour, then I will try this.

Renaming the file like that won't cause me too loose any crates or the music in them?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 11:41 PM - 31 January, 2012
No it will not cause you to lose crates or any of the info in it. It should only strip the current associations it has for crate order.

Let me know how it goes.
Blackdevil77 12:25 AM - 1 February, 2012
That seemed to have worked! That's so damn weird....
Rane, Support
Chad S. 12:41 AM - 1 February, 2012
Sweet. Glad to hear and thanks for the video :) Let me know if any oddities pop back up.
Blackdevil77 3:04 AM - 1 February, 2012
Thanks for the help again Chad, you are the man!

One more oddity, and this is a REALLY weird one. When I have a song playing, and I scroll through the library, there will be a huge visual lag in the library and the waveform. The strange thing is, this only happens in ONE particular crate! Not in any other crate, sub crate, or "All" that I've noticed. Only in my Christmas music crate does it do this. Checked every file in that crate as well as the whole library, no corrupt files. All the corrupt files I mentioned in that other thread, I replaced with fresh one and deleted all the corrupt ones.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 8:07 PM - 1 February, 2012
Does that crate have many subcrates?

How many songs are in that crate?

Is it large compared to your other crates?

Is the folder of Christmas music deep within other folders on your HD?
Blackdevil77 8:18 PM - 1 February, 2012
The Christmas folder is a sub crate to "Holiday Songs" amongst one other sub crate. It has about 165 songs in it, and in the crate total, there's about 185 songs. I have other crates with many more sub crates and over 1000 songs, and they all seem to work perfectly. The music in my HD aren't in folders that correspond with the crates in serato. They are all in folders by artist. I hit a snag when trying to make the music folders correspond with my crates, but was able to at least get serato working without relying on iTunes.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 8:20 PM - 1 February, 2012
Try making a new crate called Xmas and copy the songs from Christmas and put them in Xmas.

Remove the subcrate Christmas from your Holiday songs parent crate.

Now put the Xmas crate into the holiday crate. Do you still have the same lag?
Blackdevil77 10:10 PM - 1 February, 2012
Yup, just tried it. I've noticed it randomly now in some other crates, but it comes and goes. It seems to mostly happen when I play a song from a sub crate, but not always. Then it'll randomly work smooth as butter again.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 11:36 PM - 1 February, 2012
That is nutty. Sounds like there might be some crate corruption going on, something funky no doubt.
Blackdevil77 3:28 AM - 2 February, 2012
Computers don't like me lol. Can anything be done about this?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:56 PM - 14 February, 2012
Blackdevil77, sorry I've been away. Had surgery the other week and am now just back to the office.

Where are you at now with the whole situation?
Blackdevil77 5:06 PM - 14 February, 2012
Hey Chad. Ouch, everything okay? No problem, just hope you feel better.

The crate order thing is fixed, it just somehow fixed itself. The only thing is the lag is still there. I made another thread about it. It's mostly with all crates and happens in specific spots of the crate when scrolling. A lot tend to be towards the beginning but once you get to a quarter of the way in with scrolling, the lag will stop. It's very strange. A few crates lag towards the middle. Also noticed it takes longer for the crates to pop up when opening Scratch Live.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:12 PM - 14 February, 2012
All good, a little knee surgery ;)

About the lag - when you open the program does it say that it is reading tags along the bottom? Does it take a long time to close as well?

Do the crates towards the top have many subcrates in them?
Blackdevil77 5:40 PM - 14 February, 2012
Yeah, the crates at the top have the subcrates, the crates towards the bottom don't have subcrates. Yeah I noticed it does say loading crates. It just sticks around longer then it did when I had it reading the itunes library. Sometimes it does take a while to close, sometimes it doesn't. There were times when I tried closing serato and I got the beach ball of death for up to 30 seconds.

Ah okay. Wish you a speedy recovery bro.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 8:24 PM - 15 February, 2012
We can try renaming the DatabaseV2 file on the HD that is currently storing all of your music. Hopefully this will eliminate the lag on start up and close as well as getting through your library faster. Which HD currently stores all of your music?

If you go into the Set-up / library tab do you have "include subcrates tracks" checked? If so, uncheck it and see if you still get the lag scrolling through crates.
9:00 PM, 29 Feb 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.