DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Think This Lil Jon Beat Is Worth $200,000.00?

DJ Josh V 11:30 AM - 18 November, 2007
Julls 12:56 PM - 18 November, 2007
No, I don't think its worth $200,000.
Dj K.Smith 3:45 PM - 18 November, 2007
Unless you make beats and sell them, we can't really judge him... It's knockin' to me...
matt212 4:00 PM - 18 November, 2007
I think a dude in the group yell out 200G's, Lil Jon said 100G's. Not bad for 5 minutes of work.

BTW, Anybody here using a Miko or Neko? I was thinking about getting an MPC, but they say it's becoming old school compared to these Open Labs consoles.
sopranosupasta 4:09 PM - 18 November, 2007
its not the beat that makes it worth $200,000. its the fact that lil john did that shit live, you think timbaland beats are worth 500,000....nope. but you know because its a timba beat, its gotta be a hit.... so they pay......
Dj K.Smith 4:20 PM - 18 November, 2007
Quote:
I was thinking about getting an MPC, but they say it's becoming old school compared to these Open Labs consoles.

Big Ty, you already know... Forget what THEY say, its all about the sounds you are looking for... Beats are not worth any of those crazy amounts, like Sop said it's the name recognition of the producer... If they are the "flavor of the month" and making hits currently then rightfully so the asking price goes way up... If you're an upstart, that's where you're looking to get after time...
Logisticalstyles 4:48 PM - 18 November, 2007
The MPC is like the 1200. It's not going anywhere. Even thought they have come out with all these different flavors of MPCs, most other producer I know still gravitate to the MPC2500. It does everything you need.
matt212 5:02 PM - 18 November, 2007
Yeah, I hear what you are saying K. Smith, but THEY also told me that Serato was that next shit. haha.

I'm really talking about how this thing can do different things compare to a MPC. If I'm going to spend that much for a MPC, I might as well spend a little more and get the best shit out there.
Dj K.Smith 5:11 PM - 18 November, 2007
True that... Sometimes THEY get it right, lol... Serato is definitely here to stay, no question... On a side note, when we have another jam, are you making flight arrangements, lol...
matt212 5:19 PM - 18 November, 2007
Yeah, I think the next one I'll be out there for is the Norcal-SoCal Jam. Don't want you and swift to be the only ones. haha.
DJ Sniffles 6:36 PM - 18 November, 2007
get that monster roland drum machine/sequencer

its a beast. j. dupri uses it instead of the mpc
DJ SPAIR 6:39 PM - 18 November, 2007
Quote:
Yeah, I hear what you are saying K. Smith, but THEY also told me that Serato was that next shit. haha.

I'm really talking about how this thing can do different things compare to a MPC. If I'm going to spend that much for a MPC, I might as well spend a little more and get the best shit out there.

The big question you have to ask yourself is..."what can this piece of equipment do for me"? What are you looking to get out of it? If you want to make a beat like LIL Jon made in that demo,you could probably get away with producing it on an ASR 10. So you see it doesn't matter what you use It's whats in you head that counts. Very cliche statement.
matt212 7:16 PM - 18 November, 2007
That's the thing right there.....the Miko can give you all those sounds of the ASR 10 plus all the other Ensoniq stuff. I rather pay more for a piece of equipment that can do all the jobs of many different ones. You don't even need a external computer with this joint. You can run protools, cubase, etc., on the unit it self. This thing is future proof.

Check out the Timbo edition.
www.openlabs.com
matt212 7:50 PM - 18 November, 2007
Hell, you probably could run SSL on this thing.
dj_soo 8:03 PM - 18 November, 2007
it's not what you use, it's how you use it.
Stakato 8:13 PM - 18 November, 2007
Running SSL off of this would be the pimp shit!
Dj K.Smith 8:41 PM - 18 November, 2007
You trying to produce 212?
Dj K.Smith 8:42 PM - 18 November, 2007
BTW, you need to get a webcam and rock with us on stickam... I have to admit its pretty fun...
DJ Sniffles 11:57 PM - 18 November, 2007
that Miko is the shit!!!! damn. i might drop the +3k on one of those
Mr. Goodkat 11:16 PM - 19 November, 2007
i remember seeing the full keyboard version a few years ago at SXSW, the developers did the demos. What a bunch of dorks. They did some songs, which were wack, and then one of the dorks did a rendidtion of 'Don't Fear the Reaper", by Blue Oyster Cult. I always thought, why not get a computer and a keyboard, but i can see how it would be nice to have dedicated computer and it would be great for live stuff.