Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Future Music UK comments on ITCH effects

djcerla 12:40 AM - 19 January, 2012
"The flanger, echo and delay are a joy to work with (...) the sound quality is superb and the decay on the echo, for instance, is beautiful, and with modulation and depth fully tweakable you can tailor it to your needs" Future Music, issue 248, on Twitch review.

What do you think?
DJPrice_inMD 12:43 AM - 19 January, 2012
Well I can't seem to hear any sort of echo coming out of my NS7fx sooooo...
djcerla 12:47 AM - 19 January, 2012
BTW flanger is the only ITCH FX I use in actual gigs (and I use it a lot as it sounds wonderfully metallic IMHO), filtering/echo are done on the DJM800.
DJPrice_inMD 12:56 AM - 19 January, 2012
Flanger and Delay seem to work just fine for me, I use both. I really don't have a huge problem with most of the effects, but echo is the worst. Not a big fan of Phaser or Braker either. Don't know how others feel about Tremolo but it seems to work fine for me, but I don't have a huge amount of experience with FX.
phatbob 1:25 AM - 19 January, 2012
I buy Future Music every month.

As a Twitch owner I was intrigued to see what their review said.

And... It's a bit weird.

Never noticed the reviewer's byline in the mag before.

The writing style is at odds with the usual FM style, all, like, 'down wiv da kidz'.

Cerla, the bit about FX you pulled out is the strangest bit. It's clearly inaccurate, as anyone who uses Itch knows. It casts doubt over the rest of the review, as if they haven't used it properly at all.

To confound that further, the Pioneer Ergo review seems considered and accurate, just a few days later.

Left me shaking my head, that's for sure.
phatbob 1:25 AM - 19 January, 2012
*few PAGES later
Djpr1 2:16 AM - 19 January, 2012
F***ing Djay app on my IPhone has better effects than Itch...
DJPrice_inMD 2:41 AM - 19 January, 2012
Quote:
F***ing Djay app on my IPhone has better effects than Itch...

QFT

I know I said above I am pretty ok with Itch effects but this is true unfortunately.
hamplifier 6:17 AM - 19 January, 2012
was the writer smoking crack while testing out the effects or something ? the echo is the worst , i only end up using the HPF and LPF since i find they are the only ones that work properly and occasionally the flanger
shame really as i would love a nice sounding echo :(
Maskrider 6:36 AM - 19 January, 2012
I hope SERATO will improve the FX engine.
Mr. Goodkat 7:33 AM - 19 January, 2012
future music is helpful, but product reviews have always been overly slanted toward companies that take out some adverts. i would choose sound on sound for real reviews.
irieproductions 1:09 PM - 20 January, 2012
the delay is not bad, it does what its supposed to do. dont agree with the flanger, echo and filtering. they all could be much better.
DJPrice_inMD 1:12 PM - 20 January, 2012
The Easter egg super filter seems to work better than the separate HPF and LPF in FX. Delay is one of the solid effects in my opinion a well, echo is useless unless the slider is at 100% and the parameters is at 1/2 or 3/4. And even then it is only audible during softer parts of the song.
Areikei123123 3:56 PM - 20 January, 2012
That review is highly questionable, no way on this earth do Itch's FX deserve that glowing review. The only FX I use are the Phaser on a slow LFO, and very occasionally the HPF and LPF (a band pass would be much prerferable but I can't be bothered to do that pan-pot twisting Easter Egg sh@!).
DeeJay Image 4:12 PM - 20 January, 2012
I love that people are never satisfied and constantly complaining about Serato not making much advancement...

They come on these sites to complain about what Itch doesn't have.. and what _____ (fill in the blank) has that Itch doesn't..

Why are you using Itch then?

Sure, we all certain things... but none of it is necessary.. I wanted Video.. it's coming.. is it going to make me a better DJ? umm.. no... are more efx going to make you a better DJ? Probably not...

Their are always exceptions to the above statement...

I like that Serato takes their time to make sure their releases are more stable and reliable than other software.. I'd rather that than having issues during a live event...

Just a guess, but.... SERATO HEARS WHAT YOU WANT! be patient... people wanted Itch to look more like SSL... got it! everyone wanted the sampler.. check!!! people requested four decks - that's now an option... everyone wanted video mixing capabilities.. two months away from that! Everyone wants the Bridge and better efx... think they are going to ignore that? They are likely trying to perfect the coding..

Patience..

You'd be more unhappy if they released it and it didn't work properly..
phatbob 4:14 PM - 20 January, 2012
The issue here is not with the FX in Itch... It's about a bullshit review in Future Music which I personally had always found to be quite trustworthy...
DeeJay Image 4:19 PM - 20 January, 2012
@PhatBob.. I was referring to the comments made later in the posting about cell phones having better FX.
dj_spark 4:40 PM - 20 January, 2012
If the echo delay could have more tails, so when you stop feed them you still have a decay, it would be better imo. So for now I stuck with HPF only.
selkie 4:42 PM - 20 January, 2012
I like the repeater, but can't use it because it doesn't sync :(
patrickwdoyle 6:01 PM - 20 January, 2012
I'm using Twitch, so I tend to use fader effects like repeater, hpf and lpf. The repeater is especially easy to use with a fader. I agree about the Echo only being audible at 100% and not being able to adjust the tails enough.

Regarding the delay, phaser and flanger: if you assign the effect to the proper not in time you will get amazing sounds. However, it seems like a fair number of you want to use effects but don't understand musically concepts like time and measure. If you assign any of these effects properly to the note (ie over the snare, bass, melody, vocal, etc) you will be quite happy. I have found some killer ways to use all of the heavier distortion effects once listening to a song and assigning effects to highlight or reduce particular elements of that song.

And yes, selkie, using effects is more involved than pressing the sync button
haze324 6:23 PM - 20 January, 2012
I use a DJM-800. I tend to only use Echo, Reverb, Flanger and Filter. I'll take those anyday over anything in Itch, SSL AND Traktor!!!

Itch versions before 2.0 I believe had a much better delay and echo. Being that they are post fader I thought these really had a chance to get good. I think the flanger sounds like crap compared to the DJM-800, I think the same of the SSL flanger (but there's more options so you can find a decent one).

I think the grip is that in comparison to other software I would put Itch, especially 2.0 Itch, last in the quality of effects. I do think think though that pre 2.0, Delay, Reverb and Filter were pretty damn good.
selkie 6:47 PM - 20 January, 2012
Quote:
And yes, selkie, using effects is more involved than pressing the sync button

So how do you manually sync the fx timing to the current deck bpm?
irieproductions 1:22 AM - 21 January, 2012
ITCH fx are not worst than Virtual DJ. i think vdj is at the bottom of the pack.
selkie 4:09 AM - 21 January, 2012
thats true.. vdj fx suck big time
Mr. Goodkat 10:14 PM - 21 January, 2012
Quote:
I love that people are never satisfied and constantly complaining about Serato not making much advancement...

They come on these sites to complain about what Itch doesn't have.. and what _____ (fill in the blank) has that Itch doesn't..

Why are you using Itch then?

Sure, we all certain things... but none of it is necessary.. I wanted Video.. it's coming.. is it going to make me a better DJ? umm.. no... are more efx going to make you a better DJ? Probably not...

Their are always exceptions to the above statement...

I like that Serato takes their time to make sure their releases are more stable and reliable than other software.. I'd rather that than having issues during a live event...

Just a guess, but.... SERATO HEARS WHAT YOU WANT! be patient... people wanted Itch to look more like SSL... got it! everyone wanted the sampler.. check!!! people requested four decks - that's now an option... everyone wanted video mixing capabilities.. two months away from that! Everyone wants the Bridge and better efx... think they are going to ignore that? They are likely trying to perfect the coding..

Patience..

You'd be more unhappy if they released it and it didn't work properly..

efx you could use could make it easier to use the efx though.
Deckgeneral 6:46 PM - 1 February, 2012
Trust Me Serato FX are better than Stantons Pre Fade only Crap
seratosnatch 9:33 PM - 1 February, 2012
Quote:

I'm glad you also noticed this..I have been telling Serato this for ages.
Papa Midnight 9:39 PM - 1 February, 2012
Quote:
The Easter egg super filter seems to work better than the separate HPF and LPF in FX. Delay is one of the solid effects in my opinion a well, echo is useless unless the slider is at 100% and the parameters is at 1/2 or 3/4. And even then it is only audible during softer parts of the song.

Agreed.
selkie 1:55 AM - 2 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I'm glad you also noticed this..I have been telling Serato this for ages.

really? join in here: serato.com
Dave The One 2:31 AM - 2 February, 2012
The Effects are actually very good. Remember these effects are happening via software not through hardware dsp like the efx 1000 and efx on pioneer mixers etc...

Those that can't beat repeat to sync properly need to beat grid properly, the beat repeat and braker work phenomenally when i use them on songs that i took the time to beat grid as do the echos and delays. Overall i'd give itch effects an 8; again they're very good.
selkie 2:49 AM - 2 February, 2012
Quote:
software not through hardware dsp

basically you are saying:

Quote:
software not software

Quote:
Those that can't beat repeat to sync properly need to beat grid properly, the beat repeat and braker work phenomenally when i use them on songs that i took the time to beat grid as do the echos and delays. Overall i'd give itch effects an 8; again they're very good.

nope, it happen to perfectly beatgrided tracks, and anyway it doesn't matter as the developer already told that the fx doesn't sync to the beatgrid, they sync only to the bpm...
Dave The One 3:12 AM - 2 February, 2012
Interesting; I've had great results with my beat gridded tracks; my effects don't go out of sync; perhaps youre not hitting it in time with the beat.

And no I'm not basically saying software not software; I meant it as I said it the first time.

It doesn't matter because the developer already told that the fx don't sync to beatgrid? Did you mention this before?

Anyway; my effects work and sync perfectly :) and I'm totally happy with them!
toi 9:45 AM - 2 February, 2012
FX losing sync is a bug... it's in no way related to the beatgrid or failed FX cueing.
I'm having the same problems as selkie, so using repeater/delay/braker is useless since there's always a huge chance of messing up the entire mix.

@topic: sounds pretty much like a payed review :p
selkie 2:53 PM - 2 February, 2012
Quote:
Interesting; I've had great results with my beat gridded tracks; my effects don't go out of sync; perhaps youre not hitting it in time with the beat.

you are just showing your ignorance here again, if the repeater is triggered out of time, it equally should repeat 1 bar... (or whatever you select)

The out of sync problem has nothing to do with beatgrids nor the time you trigger the fx...

Quote:
Anyway; my effects work and sync perfectly :) and I'm totally happy with them!

I'm so happy for you, but that doesn't fix the problems with other users... is not a problem of configuration or use, it is a bug.