Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato Itch Support for New 4 decks Serato DJ Intro Controllers, a Plug-in?

DJ Keyos 5:18 PM - 17 January, 2012
Now that Serato is about to release the video plug-in for Itch, will the new 4 decks controllers such as VCI 400, the Reloop and the Numark N4 for Serato DJ Intro be upgraded for Itch also in the form of a plug-in, for a price? Just wondering... What are your thoughts?
phatbob 5:22 PM - 17 January, 2012
Nope.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:11 PM - 17 January, 2012
no NEVER!!! thats not how itch works! hardware is built for itch not the other way around.

But i would ''think'' Vestax will have a New VCI for itch. find out tomoz at Namm.
dj t-money 7:17 PM - 17 January, 2012
can itch plz inprove the viewing on how to see the music someting like virtaul dj r somting coz i really love it but i cant view my music propa
BadBoyChubs 7:22 PM - 17 January, 2012
I Luv how itch is set up, make crates, i hate virtual dj view,
dj t-money 7:25 PM - 17 January, 2012
its actually a good software but i really want to use itch but i jus need more sapce to see all my music dats all
dj t-money 7:30 PM - 17 January, 2012
i've 2much music and its difficult to do the crates in vdj i jus mix out of my head i dont really prepare i jus mix
Dj cuervo 8:15 PM - 17 January, 2012
I think it is not Serato to blame on this. I think the vendor don't want to pay the full licensing for ITCH so they go the cheap route with INTRO. We need to blame the Vendors.
Musically Minded 8:16 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
I think it is not Serato to blame on this. I think the vendor don't want to pay the full licensing for ITCH so they go the cheap route with INTRO. We need to blame the Vendors.

+1 same thing i was thinking
phatbob 8:21 PM - 17 January, 2012
Completely true.
serkan 9:41 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:

The entry level units like Typhoon, N4, Mixtrack, Terminal Mix4, etc. are made for beginners so it makes sense to pair them up with DJ Intro. This is their way to keep the price down.

But for the VCI-400 you're totally true.
Dj cuervo 11:11 PM - 17 January, 2012
I agree VCI -400 with DJ INTRO is a waste of TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DJPrice_inMD 1:39 PM - 18 January, 2012
Its a damn shame about the vci-400 it looks like such a quality piece of equipment that is being wasted. Unless Serato announces a pay to upgrade program for intro users I will never be considering the 400 or any other intro controllers.
blackavenger 5:45 PM - 19 January, 2012
Quote:

I've said it many times as well.....makes NO SENSE at all to buy a vci-400 for INTRO. I mean, why even bother loading up the software. If you like INTRO, and want more functionality, you have to sell the controller you just spent a Grand on to trade it for what will likely be an inferior controller just to use ITCH.

Serao HAVE to offer an upgrade plan at some point.
Maskrider 12:56 AM - 20 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I've said it many times as well.....makes NO SENSE at all to buy a vci-400 for INTRO. I mean, why even bother loading up the software. If you like INTRO, and want more functionality, you have to sell the controller you just spent a Grand on to trade it for what will likely be an inferior controller just to use ITCH.

Serao HAVE to offer an upgrade plan at some point.

Yes you might try INTRO and say it's a waste but it's more for Tractor users than anything else....Logically nobody in there right mind would buy this expensive MIDI controller for INTRO. Now if VESTAX has a VCI400 for ITCH waiting to be released it does make sense.
pdidy 10:10 AM - 20 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Serato HAVE to offer an upgrade plan at some point.

why ?
VESTAX purchased the intro license, Right ?
VESTAX has the right to make their own business decisions, Right ?
Serato accepted payment for said license, right ?
Did serato force anyone to buy the VESTAX product which uses their software ? no.
Now How does that make Serato liable in anyway what so every ?
Question the choice made by the consumer not serato.
blackavenger 11:36 AM - 20 January, 2012
Even though you are correct, it is a Vestax Controller that purchased a Serato INTRO license. Serato still bare some of the responsibility for how the customer is going to feel once they decide that they want to make that jump up to more powerful software like ITCH. If you think about it, more than likely the customer will just feel discouraged knowing that they just spend $1,000 + on their controller only to have to give it up, and decide to just go with Traktor instead. Because with Traktor they don't have to give up the controller that they have come to love.

If the executives over at Serato have your mode of thinking, PDidy, then this is the beginning of the end for them!!!!

This model for INTRO DOES NOT WORK!!!! At the very least they should cease to allow INTRO on to high-end controllers. Personally, I think it does more harm than good on those particular models.
elsupermang 5:58 PM - 20 January, 2012
Quote:
Even though you are correct, it is a Vestax Controller that purchased a Serato INTRO license. Serato still bare some of the responsibility for how the customer is going to feel once they decide that they want to make that jump up to more powerful software like ITCH. If you think about it, more than likely the customer will just feel discouraged knowing that they just spend $1,000 + on their controller only to have to give it up, and decide to just go with Traktor instead. Because with Traktor they don't have to give up the controller that they have come to love.

If the executives over at Serato have your mode of thinking, PDidy, then this is the beginning of the end for them!!!!

This model for INTRO DOES NOT WORK!!!! At the very least they should cease to allow INTRO on to high-end controllers. Personally, I think it does more harm than good on those particular models.

I agree selling a piece of hardware with dead-end limited software is not the way to go. Once you've outgrown the software now you are stuck with no upgrade path for your hardware. Even low end controllers such as the Hercules Console gave you the option of going from VDJ Hercules edition to full blown VDJ Pro. I used it for a while and the first thing I did was upgrade to VDJ Pro since the Hercules version had many limitations. I eventually outgrew the controller but with a high end 4 channel controller there is nothing to outgrow in terms of hardware.
pdidy 7:18 PM - 20 January, 2012
In this case they do have pro upgrade options but seratos not one of them.
DJ dVO 10:03 PM - 20 January, 2012
Quote:
Its a damn shame about the vci-400 it looks like such a quality piece of equipment that is being wasted. Unless Serato announces a pay to upgrade program for intro users I will never be considering the 400 or any other intro controllers.

This definitely has derailed my plan to acquire the VCI-400. This machine is built exactly to all the specifications I look for and it didn't damn come with Itch. Such is a shame. I was holding on the last breath as to hoping that somehow that a midi map would be available or possible for Itch. The only way to get my hands on this great controller is to jump ship and start using Traktor.

Please Vestax release a VCI-400MKII to work specifically with Itch please please please!
serkan 10:42 PM - 22 January, 2012
This discussions doesn't make sense.

Serato doesn't have to offer any upgrade solution. How will you upgrade from a free software? What will be the price of a product which is not supposed to be sold separately? The strategy of Serato is to get paid for sold hardware.

You want to use ITCH? Buy an ITCH controller.
You wan't to use the VCI-400? Buy it (and get DJ Intro for FREE! - in case someone didn't get it: it's FREE!).
You want to use the VCI-400 with ITCH? Forget it and stop demanding something impossible. No one would ask for ITCH on any other non-ITCH controller. So why do they with the VCI-400? Because it has DJ Intro (for FREE btw)? How does that make any sense?
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:45 PM - 22 January, 2012
^ totaly agree

Was hoping for a new VCI for itch at Namm tho:-(
phatbob 10:49 PM - 22 January, 2012
Quote:
No one would ask for ITCH on any other non-ITCH controller.

Go have a look at the Intro section of the forum... It's FULL of people asking for Itch on the Ergo, the 400, even the Mixdeck.

Personally, I think Serato licencing Intro to anything more expensive that a Mixtrack Pro is a massive mistake.

People spend £500-1000 on a controller and they expect Intro, the provided software, to be more fully featured. That's THEIR lack of research causing the problem, but the experience is not likely to leave them thinking postively about Serato as a company.
DJRICCIRICH 12:45 AM - 23 January, 2012
I disagree with many of you. I think there will be the ability to upgrade to itch from intro. If not....why doesn't serato stamp serato intro on the products instead of just serato. It makes more sense as a business model as well...just like virtual dj and traktor? That's just my guess!
DJPrice_inMD 12:59 AM - 23 January, 2012
I think it could happen too. Serato currently only sells licenses to manufacturers, but it could be a lucrative market to get into selling upgrades to consumers. Maybe the 2.0 rewrite of Itch as more than just about integrating plugin capabilities...
blackavenger 3:57 AM - 23 January, 2012
Quote:
Personally, I think Serato licencing Intro to anything more expensive that a Mixtrack Pro is a massive mistake.

TOTALLY AGREE!!!