Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

SSL 2.3.3 Corrupts video files

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL4
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJ Stoyvo 7:34 AM - 17 January, 2012
Hey...

SO I unleashed some anger on the facebook page because of the wicked night I had... I can honestly say I lost all my faith in serato on saturday.

So I've been using SSL 2.3.3 to mix only audio solidly ever since it came out. I was happy, skipping to my gigs and all (not really). Then I have this gig that involves video that came up. Okay cool, no problem, ssl 2.3.3 is perfect right? Been working so far, so i have no worries. I get to the club, I set up, the lineup is growing, so I go to play my first track...

Nothing.

SSL 2.3.3 decided it would be a good time to corrupt my mp4 files. My source: xtendamix. We all know that their videos don't have a problem, as they have clearly worked before... But just incase, I'll pick another track....

Nothing.

Sorry I lied, it did do something. It marked it as corrupt, and then did nothing more.

What did I do? Had a buddy show up with SSL 2.2.2 on a usb stick, played a mix off my phone, installed, restarted, and continued my night error free.

So now my question is:
WHO THE FUCK RELEASES A "STABLE" VERSION THAT DOESN'T WORK WITH VIDEO!?

If there's a problem on my end, let me know... But as far as I can understand this... 1 version works, 1 version doesn't... This is all on serato.

I got a new motto for you if you'd like? "Screwing over the DJs 1 release at a time"
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:03 AM - 17 January, 2012
Lol 2.3.3 was a big video bug release the most stable since 1.9.2 did you reanalyze all your files with 2.3.3 before the gig? Are you using video-sl or mixed emergency? Can you upload the corrupt file/s to this thread using the ATTACH A FILE button?

Sad to hear you had sutch big issues. Lesson learned always test a new version and always keep the version you was using fine before on the laptop. You can have multiple versions installed.
Deejay Steve 3:20 PM - 17 January, 2012
I agree with LJ Woolsy, I have at least 2 versions of SSL on my MacBook Pros but ultimately I am only using version 1.9.2 with Mix Emergency as I have zero faith in the latest versions and the said version does exactly what it needs to do and is so stable. Since it corrupted some of my video files (version 2.3. onwards) I'll stick with what I know is rock solid
5:40 PM, 17 Jan 2012
Discussion moved to Video-SL Help
DJ Stoyvo 5:49 PM - 17 January, 2012
It was every video file I had that marked it as corrupt. I'll pull up my harddrive when i get home and i guess I can upload it.

Unfortunately for me, I have an SL4 so anything less than 2.2.2 isn't an option haha otherwise i'd be all over that 1.9.2

I thought i originally had 2.2.2 installed as a backup, but i guess not
DJ Tecniq 10:37 PM - 17 January, 2012
I'm still using 2.2.0 and VSL is solid! never had 1 problem and i gig with it all the time. I didn't upgrade considering all the corrupt video issues I've heard. If it ain't broke don't fix it..
Deejay Steve 11:13 PM - 17 January, 2012
Makes me wonder why Serato programmers don't just make loads of plugins so that we can use the version which is most stable and add plugins just for the hardware required ie SL4 plugin. Probably too complicated to action for all the different versions but then I'm not a programmer
DJ Stoyvo 6:30 AM - 18 January, 2012
I dont understand why serato doesn't make their software open source... It'd be the first software to do so. I'd love to make some plugins :D
popnwave 12:32 PM - 18 January, 2012
Do you try to just nuke the files in SSL, exit out then go back in and rescan. I've had to do this a few times and the files worked fine.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:45 PM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
I'm still using 2.2.0 and VSL is solid! never had 1 problem and i gig with it all the time. I didn't upgrade considering all the corrupt video issues I've heard. If it ain't broke don't fix it..

it was broke so they fixed it, they just got the quicktime crashes to try and sort out. 2.2.0 has a bug that doubles your file size! and also taggin issues like all the 2.x.x versions from 2.3.3 its a new way of taggin. Just some people seem to have todo abit of work till all is fine again.
DJ Tecniq 11:52 PM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

it was broke so they fixed it, they just got the quicktime crashes to try and sort out. 2.2.0 has a bug that doubles your file size! and also taggin issues like all the 2.x.x versions from 2.3.3 its a new way of taggin. Just some people seem to have todo abit of work till all is fine again.
i been on 2.2.0 since it came out. I have heard of this double file size but it's never happened to me....i got lucky i guess
djpichon 5:56 PM - 19 January, 2012
Wonder if djm 700 can midi video sl
DJChrisMyk 6:40 PM - 19 January, 2012
I had force analyzed all my video files. It took me half the day just to find out I am still have the same issues. All my videos were working fine until I upgraded to 2.3.3.

Each time I open my Serato and load a track which I have analyzed already. It would not load a complete wave form but instead complete the wave form as I am p laying the track.

Looks like there is still a bug when it comes to tagging and analyzing.
DJ Stoyvo 8:42 PM - 19 January, 2012
Quote:
I had force analyzed all my video files. It took me half the day just to find out I am still have the same issues. All my videos were working fine until I upgraded to 2.3.3.

Each time I open my Serato and load a track which I have analyzed already. It would not load a complete wave form but instead complete the wave form as I am p laying the track.

Looks like there is still a bug when it comes to tagging and analyzing.

THis was the exact problem i was having as well
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:22 AM - 23 January, 2012
Hey DJ Stoyvo,

Thats a shame that this release isn't working well for you. I'd be keen to check out a couple of your files to see if I can reproduce this myself though. Can you upload one or two please?

Sam.
DJ Tecniq 1:25 AM - 23 January, 2012
Quote:
Wonder if djm 700 can midi video sl
yes i have the 700. you need a midi usb cable plugged into the midi out on the mixer then plug into usb on mac. then in midi vsl panel assign the faders/channels/buttons. Make sure midi is turned "on" with mixer.
DJ Stoyvo 4:19 AM - 23 January, 2012
Quote:
Hey DJ Stoyvo,

Thats a shame that this release isn't working well for you. I'd be keen to check out a couple of your files to see if I can reproduce this myself though. Can you upload one or two please?

Sam.

Turns out xtendamix is having this issue too