Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

ITCH VIDEO IS HERE!!!!!!!

selkie 7:25 AM - 17 January, 2012
I'm going to cry now

serato.com
Solidsnake 7:28 AM - 17 January, 2012
Nice nice! Now the ITCH forums will be dead, no one complaining about video anymore.
selkie 7:37 AM - 17 January, 2012
nope, now it will be full of help request for why ITCH doesn't run video in full HD with my pentium 4 if it run bpm studio perfectly
Hedgehog 7:51 AM - 17 January, 2012
This feels like the second coming.
DJ Richie Rich210 8:47 AM - 17 January, 2012
Thank u GOD !!!!
Manny C dot com 9:53 AM - 17 January, 2012
Tooting my own horn here:

I TOLD YOU SO....

serato.com
Beatnologic 9:54 AM - 17 January, 2012
My god... here we go... the forum will be flooded.. Will it run on my crapy pc mac... How do I covert or download... and so on...
But thanks Serato you made a lot of people happy
djcerla 10:03 AM - 17 January, 2012
Killer app.
Hedgehog 10:08 AM - 17 January, 2012
@Floorfilla:
I'm in the Itch-beta group. Gizmo wrote on skratchworkx that he possesses a beta of the video-plugin.
Is there already one?
Beatnologic 10:09 AM - 17 January, 2012
Get sl now just 100,- and the update is free in March
phatbob 11:04 AM - 17 January, 2012
Don't worry about the forum being quiet.

Now it's going to be full of V7 users complaining that they can't fade video using their non-midi mixers... ;-)
signs 11:21 AM - 17 January, 2012
hahahha. Itchmakers must have been laughing the whole day that so many People where so bad that Itch 2.1 doesn't support Video again, and that we have to wait again till maybe Itch 2.2 will support it.
But Itch 2.1 does Support VIDEO! only the Plugin isn't there yet... just wait a few more days :)))
SeriousCyrus 11:21 AM - 17 January, 2012
Well, this is going to help with my project.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Hey Serato, where do I sign up for Beta?
DJ Grandpa 11:43 AM - 17 January, 2012
+1 for Beta, please...
blackavenger 12:15 PM - 17 January, 2012
Maybe now we can get them to focus on giving us an acceptable Effects Engine.

Despite that I never wanted Video, I am happy for those of you that did.
djcerla 12:36 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:

and Keylock ;)
pdidy 12:40 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

and Keylock ;)

Just happy I dont need a Gat Dam Thing.......
djbagz 1:17 PM - 17 January, 2012
wowwwwww i knew it was going to be this year....
fukn awesome
blackavenger 1:43 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

and Keylock ;)

DEFINITELY
VinnyBlanc 1:55 PM - 17 January, 2012
Can Itch users buy SL video now and upgrade in March.
Or, is this only an option for SSL users. The plugin would be useless until VIDEO is released, but you would save some $$$?
Hedgehog 1:56 PM - 17 January, 2012
Itch users may do that.
DjCity 2:06 PM - 17 January, 2012
What formats will be supported?

I do a karaoke show and use VDJ for that. Will I be able to start using Itch for my karaoke show?

Really hope so.
phatbob 2:10 PM - 17 January, 2012
Only if you convert your karaoke files to h.264 mp4 files.

CD-G files etc are not supported.
DjCity 2:12 PM - 17 January, 2012
How could I convert my files? I would LOVE to use sreato for karaoke.
DjCity 2:13 PM - 17 January, 2012
and what is a h.264 mp4 file? It's the h 264 part i've never heard of before.
DjCity 2:14 PM - 17 January, 2012
Lastly, I have mp3 G files.
Beatnologic 2:18 PM - 17 January, 2012
Start reading & converting
serato.com
phatbob 2:18 PM - 17 January, 2012
Mate, you clearly need to do a lot of reading up before Serato Video comes out...

serato.com

FAQs, articles and videos for you there.
Ian Williams 2:22 PM - 17 January, 2012
Just deciding if I want to grab SL video now for $100, then get the Itch plug-in when it becomes available.

I currently don't do video, & I suspect my 13" core 2 duo Macbook Pro may not have a good enough video card. But at that price, it may be worth buying with an option to look at mixing video in the future.
Beatnologic 2:25 PM - 17 January, 2012
@ian just bought SL video and since I've got an SL2 I started right away.
It runs smooth on my MacBook Air. Only no faders to do the video transitions...
amphidelic 2:27 PM - 17 January, 2012
Well, I was already about to buy Video-SL while the deal was still on...

But this is ONE case where ITCH should allow MIDI Control. I don't need MIDI control to use ITCH as DJ software... my hardware platforms have that covered. But to handle the additional video functionality, I want to be able to use a USB peripheral to handle for Serato Video in ITCH.
VinnyBlanc 2:35 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Well, I was already about to buy Video-SL while the deal was still on...

But this is ONE case where ITCH should allow MIDI Control. I don't need MIDI control to use ITCH as DJ software... my hardware platforms have that covered. But to handle the additional video functionality, I want to be able to use a USB peripheral to handle for Serato Video in ITCH.

x2

I'm already shifting to drop samples from Hot Cue buttons. There is only so much one controller can do..
phatbob 2:42 PM - 17 January, 2012
Based on how often I change video transitions and fx in SL at present, I've got no problem with using shift+ on, say, the FX controls on my Twitch.

External midi control would be nice, of course, but I'll be happy with further functionality being added to current controllers.

If I have to carry loads of extra shit I might as well use SL.
DJ Padida 2:55 PM - 17 January, 2012
I guess I can stop using vdj once this plugin's available for itch. Now about my V7 and a midi mixer? Hmm...oh wait i also got an NS7 its all good. I got 2 days to get video sl then get the free upgrade later on.
DJ Xio 3:58 PM - 17 January, 2012
Finally... Fireworks, Thank you!!!!! :)
obzhp 4:35 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
I guess I can stop using vdj once this plugin's available for itch. Now about my V7 and a midi mixer? Hmm...oh wait i also got an NS7 its all good. I got 2 days to get video sl then get the free upgrade later on.

So will Video work with any midi capable mixer and V7's or only the TTM57SL or Sixty-Eight? I love Pioneer effects and don't want to lose them. Will a DJM800 + V7's be able to run Video and (in the future) the Bridge mixtape capability?
JohnCaniford 4:45 PM - 17 January, 2012
My question is will this work on the NS7? The big push for me to buy the TTM57 was that Scratch live was built in, but the crossfader was midi-mapped for the video. Is the cross-fader on the NS7 midi mappable?!?!
phatbob 5:14 PM - 17 January, 2012
Aaaaaand here we go....

The NS7 will definitely work. Any of the all-in-one Itch controllers will work. Bringing video to Itch would be pointless otherwise.

The V7 is actually an unknown quantity at this point. The current VideoSL works with midi-mappable mixers like the 800, BUT obviously that won't work unless Serato Video allows external midi control in Itch.

Wait for NAMM and see what they say.
DJ Quartz 5:40 PM - 17 January, 2012
I'm soooooooooooooooooooooo excited. I can finally standardize my setups.
BadBoyChubs 6:12 PM - 17 January, 2012
Video-IT + Video-SL = Video-SLIT
dj lashes 6:53 PM - 17 January, 2012
the doors are open you can see inside but still we have to wait in the line to get in...
Ragman 7:22 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:

I guess the point is can you take the current Video SL meant for SSL and upgrade it to the newer video plugin for Itch as well as SSL. Until that's been acknowledge I wouldn't buy the old Video SL just yet. Can a mod please shed some light on this.
blackavenger 7:27 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Video-IT + Video-SL = Video-SLIT

I don't know why I found this so funny, but I literally Laughed Out Loud!
DJ_Renz 8:09 PM - 17 January, 2012
I thought i was dreaming when I opened my emaill and saw this. But when i saw its coming out in March i knew i was awake. I want it now! lol.
pdidy 8:29 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I guess the point is can you take the current Video SL meant for SSL and upgrade it to the newer video plugin for Itch as well as SSL. Until that's been acknowledge I wouldn't buy the old Video SL just yet. Can a mod please shed some light on this.

Serato video is a free upgrade for all video sl users. Serato video is 1 plugin that works with itch and sl. So yes you should buy now an save $50 an get free upgrade in March.
DJ_Renz 8:59 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Serato video is a free upgrade for all video sl users. Serato video is 1 plugin that works with itch and sl. So yes you should buy now an save $50 an get free upgrade in March.

sorry im new at this and never purchased anything from serato.com
once u purchase do they give you the activation code through email or something? or do u still gotta wait for a package in the mail and what not?
DJ Padida 9:11 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thats what i'm gonna do thanks.
serkan 9:31 PM - 17 January, 2012
You guys should read more carefully.
When it comes to MIDI control it only says Scratch Live not ITCH.
A fair option could be to make MIDI mapping available if V7's are connected and to lock if any other of the all-in-one units is connected.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 9:33 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
once u purchase do they give you the activation code through email or something? or do u still gotta wait for a package in the mail and what not?

So long as you purchase a download version (as opposed to a box) you'll be emailed an unlock key straight away. The unlock key will also be visible in your online profile on your 'Products' page - serato.com

But bear in mind that Serato Video is not available until March.

Although, as some canny people have already noted, you could purchase Video-SL now for the discounted price of $US99 and get a free upgrade to Serato Video.

Just sayin'....
Ragman 9:35 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanx pdidy and ChrisD above. :-)
Dj Fitty 10:00 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Really? With Serato track record. I'm guessing it won't be ready in March. But a great way to get folks to spend money now
Papo Swing 10:36 PM - 17 January, 2012
If I get Video-SL for Scratch Live will I be able to get the free upgrade/update for Itch?
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:46 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
If I get Video-SL for Scratch Live will I be able to get the free upgrade/update for Itch?

Yes.
Solidsnake 10:46 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:

Did you not read the update, the blog post, or this entire thread? If you buy Video-SL now, you will have to pay double for Serato Video in March, $300
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:50 PM - 17 January, 2012
Solidsnake, don't be a troll.

Papo Swing, you can buy Video-SL right now (it's discounted to $US99 until January 19, 2012) and this will entitle you to a free upgrade to Serato Video when it becomes available in March.

Serato Video will then work with both ITCH and Scratch Live if installed on the same machine, for no additional cost.
Solidsnake 10:52 PM - 17 January, 2012
Aww :( I used to play WoW though, main character was a Troll :D
hologram 11:39 PM - 17 January, 2012
sniff... think I'm gonna cry....
Dj Fitty 11:58 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

and Keylock ;)

Time Code
pdidy 12:29 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Really? With Serato track record. I'm guessing it won't be ready in March. But a great way to get folks to spend money now

i26.photobucket.com
DJ Quartz 1:14 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
but the crossfader was midi-mapped for the video. Is the cross-fader on the NS7 midi mappable?!?!

Yes, I know this from testing with Traktor. Every last control on the NS7 sends midi.
DJ Oasys 2:24 AM - 18 January, 2012
Is my old reliable VCI 300 compatible with Serato Video?
Solidsnake 2:32 AM - 18 January, 2012
Yes, Everything is compatible save for the V7's... But now we might finally have a revamp of the X7!? Haha I could only wish
Maskrider 3:07 AM - 18 January, 2012
About Damn time.
benictrs 3:16 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
About Damn time.

+1
Maskrider 3:27 AM - 18 January, 2012
I wanna make this clear so if I buy the VSL today I get that Upgrade for free this coming March? I want the SERATO people to answer this.
Dj Ace 3:28 AM - 18 January, 2012
its says free upgrade for video sl users...
Maskrider 3:30 AM - 18 January, 2012
Coz they have it on a discounted price right now.......I still can't believe it though.......lol
Serato
Clyde S 3:31 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
I wanna make this clear so if I buy the VSL today I get that Upgrade for free this coming March? I want the SERATO people to answer this.

Yep ;)

Maskrider 3:35 AM - 18 January, 2012
I get paid Friday can you guys extend it please?
Dj_Nix 3:43 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

So long as you purchase a download version (as opposed to a box) you'll be emailed an unlock key straight away. The unlock key will also be visible in your online profile on your 'Products' page - serato.com

But bear in mind that Serato Video is not available until March.

Although, as some canny people have already noted, you could purchase Video-SL now for the discounted price of $US99 and get a free upgrade to Serato Video.

Just sayin'....

asked about that in dec when the sale was first announced... I got the run around so I ended up getting mixemergency-- a little salty but I just pulled the trigger for vsl while its still on sale. been waiting 2 years for this. 2 looong years. looking fwd to march.
Dj Fitty 7:48 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Really? With Serato track record. I'm guessing it won't be ready in March. But a great way to
get folks to spend money now

i26.photobucket.com

Ha Ha
djcerla 9:18 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
Yes, Everything is compatible save for the V7's...

According to Numark's page on Facebook this is not the case.
Solidsnake 9:27 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

You know exactly what I mean... hence my suggestion we might still see a mixer like the X7 come back to life.

Yes, the V7's will be able to control video. You can scratch the video, cue points, etc. they could possibly put in a way to fade the video by using the scroll knobs or something...

But from a logical standpoint, and an actual clean flow of mixing videos... no the V7's will not sprout a magical mixer to connect to the second V7 so you can easily crossfade video.

V7 users will need a solution... thats the bottom line.
djcerla 9:44 AM - 18 January, 2012
I'd say even a rough behavioral crossfade logic (i.e. Fade video when the other deck is stopped) is preferable to nothing.
Solidsnake 9:50 AM - 18 January, 2012
True

Still holding out hope for the Numark X7 though, or even a revamped MIDI X5...

Prediction for this NAMM is to see a few sub $500 mixers that can route both MIDI and Audio, namely through the faders.

There's also always the option of using 2 V7's + Novation TWITCH, even though it isn't officially supported.
JCD 10:10 AM - 18 January, 2012
I am also using SL with MK2s or CDJ900s and Itch with a VCI300MK2, but no video yet.

I would like to give it a try on Itch but only if the faders of he VCI300 handle music AND video.
Wouldn't mind choosing the effect over my macbook, but I want the magic to happen when moving the faders :-)
Does anybody know something about that, perhaps some of the beta testers?
phatbob 10:13 AM - 18 January, 2012
It MUST do. Otherwise it would be a pointless product.

Bear in mind that your VCI faders don't actually control audio at the moment anyway.

They're just midi controls sending messages to the internal mixer in Itch.
Manny C dot com 10:17 AM - 18 January, 2012
Told you so.
blackavenger 10:43 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You know exactly what I mean... hence my suggestion we might still see a mixer like the X7 come back to life.

Yes, the V7's will be able to control video. You can scratch the video, cue points, etc. they could possibly put in a way to fade the video by using the scroll knobs or something...

But from a logical standpoint, and an actual clean flow of mixing videos... no the V7's will not sprout a magical mixer to connect to the second V7 so you can easily crossfade video.

V7 users will need a solution... thats the bottom line.

Quote:
I'd say even a rough behavioral crossfade logic (i.e. Fade video when the other deck is stopped) is preferable to nothing.

Perhaps Y'all will now see my point about OPEN MIDI mapping being a NECESSITY for ITCH!! A $60 Korg nanoKontrol would suffice for the SP-6 or Video. Please, Serato, don't make the mistake of not opening up, at least some of the functionality of ITCH to external MIDI control!!!

As a whole we need to convince Serato that we ALL want this. Otherwise, it's just kooks like me repeating themselves over and over, ad nauseam!!
JCD 10:44 AM - 18 January, 2012
phatbob of course you are right, but then I hope that the midi controls will send also messages to the internal video mixer.
djcerla 11:16 AM - 18 January, 2012
MIDI control is something that may be useful (think sampler control) but I'd like my video transitions to be automatic, as I'm not an octopus.
DDp 12:21 PM - 18 January, 2012
I am New in this Djing industry. Just have a question to ya'll.

I have an NS6 and wanted to buy the Video-sl. Bt when i was reading the minimum spec required to have the video-sl, I saw that I needed to have the Rane hardware. Is that so or NS6 is ok without the rane..?

Please advise B4 the offer expires.
djcerla 1:28 PM - 18 January, 2012
The NS6 will do video WITHOUT Rane hardware.
signs 2:54 PM - 18 January, 2012
Video-SL doesn't support Serato Itch (Itch is for Midi-Controller like your NS6)

Serato announced "Serato Video" a few days ago.
You will be able to use SERATO VIDEO PLUGIN witch Serato Scratch Live OR Serato Itch.

Serato Video will be available until March 2012! So you will have to wait a few more days ;)
Kittmaster 3:20 PM - 18 January, 2012
One suggestion I have for V7 users would be this (since I also own a pair and an NS7) is that since there is no cross fade control, if the left deck is playing, the video is full screen and the audio is controlled normally by your external mixer (as if it were playing an MP3) with its fixed normal audio output (and some type of software gain control), the video output would be the left video full screen and audio, when you mix video from the other deck by pressing play, the screen "splits" in half (top or bottom user controlled) while the two are "playing".......when then left deck is stopped, the video output only shows the right deck full screen video.

This would be unique only to V7's or any other V7 type controller without a midi fader and would work with existing hardware. Granted you wouldn't have any of the cool transition video effects, but who cares, V7 users would still have some love on this long awaited feature.

Thoughts?
selkie 5:17 PM - 18 January, 2012
virtual dj already can mix video with an external audio mixer just as in the v7 case.

Is like cerla explains it, the video auto transition when the original playing deck is stoped.....

More so this version will support independebt video output... so you could do the video mixing outside the program with a mixing board ir process the video with an kaoss pad video... the possibilities are endless.

Blackavenger Im with you with external midi and Ive only stopped talking about it because they already told us that is a featyre that is coming... sp6 and now video only cinfirm the need to....
blackavenger 6:32 PM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
Blackavenger Im with you with external midi and Ive only stopped talking about it because they already told us that is a featyre that is coming... sp6 and now video only cinfirm the need to..

Will someone please Post or PM me the link to where a developer actually wrote that they would be bringing External MIDI to ITCH?

I'm not saying someone didn't make that claim, it's just........

I have a hard time believing it. I haven't seen any posts about it, despite the numerous times myself & others have voiced our wanting it. If they did make the claim, I bet it was just once........hardly convincing?
selkie 9:09 PM - 18 January, 2012
Ouch man I dont remember where... :(

It has to be in an sp6 thread...
blackavenger 9:20 PM - 18 January, 2012
Well, if anyone finds it....I would appreciate that link.
Ragman 2:18 AM - 19 January, 2012
Quote:
Video-SL doesn't support Serato Itch (Itch is for Midi-Controller like your NS6)

Serato announced "Serato Video" a few days ago.
You will be able to use SERATO VIDEO PLUGIN witch Serato Scratch Live OR Serato Itch.

Serato Video will be available until March 2012! So you will have to wait a few more days ;)

He's talking about purchasing video sl for $99 then upgrading it to Serato Video when it launches.
djpfactor 2:55 AM - 19 January, 2012
Will this Serato Video work on my allen and heath XONE DX ?
I want serato people to answer this as there are many rumours going around in other sites!
Serato, Support
ChrisD 3:07 AM - 19 January, 2012
Serato Video is compatible with ITCH.

So as long as you are running ITCH Serato Video will work with any and all supported ITCH hardware.

That most certainly includes the Allen and Heath XONE:DX :-)
djpfactor 3:32 AM - 19 January, 2012
Excellent! Serato is THE BEST! \m/
Ragman 4:14 AM - 19 January, 2012
Quote:
Serato Video is compatible with ITCH.

So as long as you are running ITCH Serato Video will work with any and all supported ITCH hardware.

That most certainly includes the Allen and Heath XONE:DX :-)

How will crossfading work with the V7s ChrisD?
Serato, Support
ChrisD 4:41 AM - 19 January, 2012
I'm not sure. Haven't tried Video on a V7 yet.
kwestyon 4:46 AM - 19 January, 2012
I need to get me an NS6 now
DJ Oasys 4:53 AM - 19 January, 2012
Have u tried it on VCI 300?
Maskrider 4:57 AM - 19 January, 2012
I guess they did.
dj lashes 4:58 AM - 19 January, 2012
Quote:
I need to get me an NS6 now

lol just got mine from Sweden sent to me in Gambia am the 1st in Gambia to have one lololol
Serato, Support
ChrisD 5:17 AM - 19 January, 2012
Quote:

I've had a quick play around, yes.
Maskrider 5:19 AM - 19 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I've had a quick play around, yes.

Are we gonna see this tomorrow at NAMM?
Serato, Support
ChrisD 5:23 AM - 19 January, 2012
Serato Video will certainly be demo'ed on ITCH hardware during NAMM.

I'm not sure at this stage which controllers it will be demo'ed on though.
Maskrider 5:26 AM - 19 January, 2012
Thanks for the heads up.....Can't wait to see it.
Ragman 5:37 AM - 19 January, 2012
Yeah thanks for the reply ChrisD. ;-)
dj lashes 6:06 AM - 19 January, 2012
everyone seems alot happier nowadays keep up the good serato
pdidy 6:23 AM - 19 January, 2012
Quote:

Unfortunately I believe this happiness will be short lived unless serato does some voodoo magic with this new video plugin. Macs are the preferred computer for running video. Therefore. I see alot of pissed off windows users next month trying to run itch and video....smh. I hope I'm wrong but I think it will be a disaster for windows users.
dj lashes 7:05 AM - 19 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately I believe this happiness will be short lived unless serato does some voodoo magic with this new video plugin. Macs are the preferred computer for running video. Therefore. I see alot of pissed off windows users next month trying to run itch and video....smh. I hope I'm wrong but I think it will be a disaster for windows users.

yeah i hear u windows users will be looking out the windows at alot of happy mac user lol

i have both plus a vci and ns6 so ill check it out next month, i must say am feeling good about the video but i really what the bridge its like no.1 on my list..
DjBrianDowling 9:56 AM - 19 January, 2012
Thanks Serato for not only finally giving us Video for itch, but nice to see you posting in this forum and answering a few questions. I actually don't mind waiting till march, you made us all get used to waiting. But for me it's nice to see an official announcement and I can stop thinking about looking at other systems for video.

I don't mind paying for the pluggin as long as it's working and stable. So looking forward to seeing video of this being demo by someone
phatbob 10:10 AM - 19 January, 2012
NAMM show starts this evening, our time, dude.

They're obviously gonna demo it there. So hold tight.
XRM5 10:32 PM - 19 January, 2012
Actually, now that all the Itch people have made it to the video party, you can get used to what the Scratch Live folks have been getting for years: waiting and silence.
phatbob 10:35 PM - 19 January, 2012
Quote:
They're obviously gonna demo it there. So hold tight.

Haha how wrong could I be?
Dj Ace 12:43 PM - 20 January, 2012
I used it today...very responsive and the effects looked good! Will post a video tomorrow
selkie 2:55 PM - 20 January, 2012
Tell us MOOOORRRREEEE

:D

upload that video :D like now :D
StevenWayne 8:00 PM - 20 January, 2012
Mods, how will the registration key work? I am a current owner of VSL and have my registration key from the box i purchased, will this same key work or will we be assigned "upgraded keys"? Also, will i still be able to run VSL with my 57 if i upgraded to Serato Video for Itch?
pdidy 8:56 PM - 20 January, 2012
Quote:
Mods, how will the registration key work? I am a current owner of VSL and have my registration key from the box i purchased, will this same key work or will we be assigned "upgraded keys"? Also, will i still be able to run VSL with my 57 if i upgraded to Serato Video for Itch?

all owners of VSL will recieve a FREE upgrade in march to serato video which will work for both itch and scratchlive. So yes your 57 will work with Serato Video as well as any itch controller.
hologram 10:29 PM - 20 January, 2012
the question is if you have multiple computers will you have to have multiple licenses?
Will their be a demo mode or something that you could use at home but not when you are out playing for real.
pdidy 10:44 PM - 20 January, 2012
Quote:
the question is if you have multiple computers will you have to have multiple licenses?
Will their be a demo mode or something that you could use at home but not when you are out playing for real.

i would suspect the same rules apply as in video sl..."The license agreement for Video-SL states that it can only be used on one computer at a time. If you want to use Video-SL on a secondary (backup) system as well, but not simultaneously, a second installation is included in your license provided you are not running it at the same time as your main system.

Activating and running Video-SL on more than one machine simultaneously is a violation of the license agreement and will result in the permanent de-activation of your serial number."
serato.com
DjFuentes82 11:10 PM - 20 January, 2012
Heres a quick video from another forum: Watchwww.youtube.com
Serato, Support
ChrisD 9:19 PM - 22 January, 2012
Quote:
Mods, how will the registration key work? I am a current owner of VSL and have my registration key from the box i purchased, will this same key work or will we be assigned "upgraded keys"?

There will be an online license transfer process. Basically you give up your Video-SL license and receive a Serato Video license as a replacement.

Quote:
Also, will i still be able to run VSL with my 57 if i upgraded to Serato Video for Itch?

Yes, absolutely. A single licensed installation of Serato Video will work with both ITCH and Scratch Live on the same machine.

Quote:

As pdidy said, the license terms for Serato Video will the same as for Video-SL. It allows for activation on a single running system at any given time.
Maskrider 9:22 PM - 22 January, 2012
When can we see a demo video of ITCH doing videos?
StevenWayne 10:27 PM - 22 January, 2012
thanks for answering my questions ChrisD, looking forward to this
lil marsh 12:45 AM - 24 January, 2012
when will the Itch Video software be available?
Maskrider 12:45 AM - 24 January, 2012
March
Dj Fitty 3:38 AM - 24 January, 2012
Quote:
March

Lol
Fluopix 4:29 PM - 24 January, 2012
New video about Serato video on Itch at Namm 2012
Watchwww.youtube.com
Go directly to timecode 5:00 to watch.
;)
Fluopix 4:36 PM - 24 January, 2012
Or another video here:
Watchwww.youtube.com
selkie 4:48 PM - 24 January, 2012
great, great, great!!!
Dj_Nix 7:54 PM - 24 January, 2012
those screens... I want
Eric N 7:56 PM - 24 January, 2012
Quote:
those screens... I want

those are pretty sweet - but looking like $600 at least on ebay. Here's the real question - can you use those and still output to another screen or distro box? If so, that would be pretty awesome.
selkie 12:13 AM - 25 January, 2012
if they dont have outputs you can always use a video splitter
phatbob 12:23 AM - 25 January, 2012
It does have a pass-through.

www.numark.com

It is an entirely pointless bit of kit for Serato Video though, unless you are running to an external video mixer like the V4 or the Pioneer SVM.

To do that you'll need a Matrox Dual Head 2 Go and two scan converters. Some in-depth shit.

A much better and cheaper option for Serato Video would be a simple single preview monitor.
selkie 12:27 AM - 25 January, 2012
you can preview the videos there... is useful... not so much, but it is even if you are using internal video mixer
phatbob 12:32 AM - 25 January, 2012
No you can't.. You can't feed the seperate channels to that unit without plugging in some SERIOUS extra gear.

That's why Numark were just running the master output to all 3 screens.
djcerla 12:44 AM - 25 January, 2012
Quote:
No you can't.. You can't feed the seperate channels to that unit without plugging in some SERIOUS extra gear.

This is a job for Thunderbolt! :D
phatbob 12:47 AM - 25 January, 2012
If only!

At the current release rate for thunderbolt devices, we should see video preview monitors in around the year 2065... ;-)
djcerla 12:53 AM - 25 January, 2012
on a side note, I think if you've done your homework right you don't even need a preview monitor... it's a major distraction from the flow of music and the vibe of the audience IMHO.
phatbob 12:57 AM - 25 January, 2012
It's there on your laptop screen anyway.

It's nice to have a preview monitor in view to make sure all is well, especially if your main screens are behind you or far away, though.

Not so nice that I've ever bothered to buy one, mind you...
Eric N 1:11 AM - 25 January, 2012
Quote:
on a side note, I think if you've done your homework right you don't even need a preview monitor... it's a major distraction from the flow of music and the vibe of the audience IMHO.

True. They are just TINY on the screen, and they look pretty cool right behind the NS6 like that. :)
controversial 4:16 AM - 25 January, 2012
thanks the videos looks awesome cant wait to try it!
blackavenger 4:58 AM - 25 January, 2012
Quote:
This is a job for Thunderbolt! :D

Yeah, I'm still waiting for them to roll out the goodies...wonder what's taking them so long?
blackavenger 4:59 AM - 25 January, 2012
Quote:
If only!

At the current release rate for thunderbolt devices, we should see video preview monitors in around the year 2065... ;-)

I know, it sucks....great idea, no follow through : /
djfrancov 12:35 PM - 25 January, 2012
on a 13' screen i will take lots of space...
VinnyBlanc 1:18 PM - 25 January, 2012
Maybe we will have 2 deck view mode for the NS6 by then?

Yay...2 unused decks video and the ability to see one song at a time in your library on the 13"MBP!
VinnyBlanc 1:19 PM - 25 January, 2012
Quote:
Maybe we will have 2 deck view mode for the NS6 by then?

Yay...2 unused decks, video, and the ability to see one song at a time in your library on the 13"MBP!
phatbob 1:45 PM - 25 January, 2012
Although I take your point, all the 13" Pros are actually below the minimum spec for video as they don't have a dedicated video card... ;o)
Fluopix 1:53 PM - 25 January, 2012
Ok, I've just sold my NI Kontrol S4 with traktor, and need to buy a new controler ...
Pioneer DDJ-S1 or Numark NS6 ... do you have some good advices?
VinnyBlanc 1:57 PM - 25 January, 2012
Hey phatbob, thanks for the heads up. What about the 15" Mbp?
phatbob 2:11 PM - 25 January, 2012
As long as they have a dedicated video card they'll be fine (some of the lowest-end 2010 models didn't).

I doubt the specs will change much from the current minimums:

serato.com

Windows machines are supported but the VAST majority of VSL users switch to mac, even if they hate macs. There are just too many driver/hardware problems with Windows.

Just watch the forum go crazy with Windows users having issues with Serato Video when it goes live... I guarantee it will.
DjZigi 2:56 PM - 25 January, 2012
guys, where can i download the video plugins for itch? please reply, thanks..:)
VinnyBlanc 2:59 PM - 25 January, 2012
It will not be available until March.
hmr1979 7:30 PM - 25 January, 2012
I hope this won't be as bad as waiting for the release of the NS7. Kept pushing back.
selkie 9:40 PM - 25 January, 2012
Quote:

Why not?:

Output Flexibilty
Setup different output configurations
- Output Only, L/R prefader or all three outputs - for greater flexibility when video mixing externally.
phatbob 9:47 PM - 25 January, 2012
Ok, sure.

With a Matrox TRIPLEhead 2 Go.

And 3 scan converters.

Except it WON'T work, still, because you can output left and right signals but not left/right AND master.

You'd have to feed the left and right outputs into an external video mixer to mix them back together again.

Please believe me, you are living in some kind of video fantasy land.
phatbob 10:16 PM - 25 January, 2012
Oh no, you can feed left/right/master.

But as it says, that is for mixing video externally.

You check the price of video mixers lately?

And you will need a MONSTER laptop to run 4 screens simultaneously.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:49 PM - 25 January, 2012
Yep i guess a macbook pro 17" totally maxed out on all specs brand new, with tripple head togo and the a pioneer svm 1000 mixer. And then the numark 3screens..... EXTREME just to see vids on that numark screen!!!!

On itch not sure how this would work.
Eric N 12:46 AM - 26 January, 2012
Haha, I never said it would be practical. Just that the 3 screen strip looks pretty bitchen when set up on the NS6 like that. ;)
nik39 12:58 AM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:

That's a funny statement considering... we are talking about mixing video.

Why should someone *not* check the preview monitors for the video output if they are mixing.. video?
djfrancov 1:55 AM - 26 January, 2012
i dont think serato will make a plugin that only works on high end macs and pcs....at least im hopping for
phatbob 1:57 AM - 26 January, 2012
See point 5:

serato.com
nik39 2:02 AM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:
i dont think serato will make a plugin that only works on high end macs and pcs....at least im hopping for

I don't want to shatter your hopes, but itch is already quite resource hungry. Video puts evennl more strain on your computer. If you're using windows even more. Not saying it is not doable. They might tweak the new plugin. But nevertheless as phatbob said... if your current setup barely runs itch.. be prepared having to upgrade your computer if you want to use video.
pdidy 2:06 AM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

phatbob 2:10 AM - 26 January, 2012
It's the nature of the beast. Mixing two video sources live on one computer was simply a dream only a few years ago. It's only recent increases in computing power and skillful programming from codec writers and software programmers that have made it possible at all.

OSX has a lot of power under the hood aimed at making pro video and audio solutions a reality. Whereas Microsoft have mostly left that to the GPU manufacturers to sort out.
selkie 4:04 AM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:
Except it WON'T work, still, because you can output left and right signals but not left/right AND master.

Quote:

or all three outputs - for greater flexibility when video mixing externally.

three outputs: video A, video B, video MASTER
phatbob 10:55 AM - 26 January, 2012
Yes selkie, I already acknowledged I got that wrong.

Still looking forward to you showing me your laptop which is capable of running all that.
phatbob 11:10 AM - 26 January, 2012
In any case selkie, don't know why you're bothered, as you probably won't be running video successfully with your under-minimum spec Windows laptop anyway.

And you certainly won't be running a Triplehead 2Go and three external monitors...
djcerla 11:16 AM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Why should someone *not* check the preview monitors for the video output if they are mixing.. video?

Because you're mixing AUDIO+video, not pure video. So, you still have a crowd in front of you to keep rockin' and you still have to build your DJ set, etc.

Once you've prepared your videos, the preview on the computer screen should be enough for monitoring if everything's fine without the need of a (more distracting) external monitor.

But honestly, I have zero personale experience on video mixing and I may be plain wrong on this.
djfrancov 11:53 AM - 26 January, 2012
what about running an external video card?
djfrancov 11:56 AM - 26 January, 2012
what about this...how will this work www.amazon.com
Dj_Nix 12:02 PM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:
Although I take your point, all the 13" Pros are actually below the minimum spec for video as they don't have a dedicated video card... ;o)

the late 2011 & 2012 pro don't have a dedicated card... however the integrated vid in the intel boards are pretty good. its still better to be above spec.
phatbob 12:42 PM - 26 January, 2012
Agreed Dj_Nix.

djfrancov: Nice idea, but I think you'll find Itch puts enough demand on your USB bus already...
selkie 1:56 PM - 26 January, 2012
ok, so as I dont have the hardware specs I can't correct you... no problem bro ;)
phatbob 2:04 PM - 26 January, 2012
I agreed that I got it wrong dude.

Your theory is correct. But try running video for a while and then tell me how well the theory works in practice.

Again, it comes back to, if it is so easy, why weren't Numark doing it, even with all the resources at their disposal?
nik39 3:59 PM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Because you're mixing AUDIO+video, not pure video. So, you still have a crowd in front of you to keep rockin' and you still have to build your DJ set, etc.

Of course. I didn't mean to say that you should stare at your video screens all the time ;) But you have to check them regularly.

Quote:
Once you've prepared your videos, the preview on the computer screen should be enough for monitoring if everything's fine without the need of a (more distracting) external monitor.

That does not work. Setup screen once and forget - nope.
phatbob 4:11 PM - 26 January, 2012
The other factor is that, like with music, there are many ways to mix video beyond simple cuts.

I'd think we'd all agree that a booth monitor is important for audio, likewise with video you need to see that output somewhere whether that's on a monitor, one of the house screens, or your laptop.
jroc453 4:22 PM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:

I dont see where it states having a dedicated video card? I have a 2.53 GHz Intel "Core 2 Duo" processor (P8700), with two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip, a 3 MB shared "on chip" level 2 cache, a 1066 MHz frontside bus, 4 GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-8500) installed in pairs (two 2 GB modules), a 250 GB Serial ATA (5400 RPM) hard drive, an 8X DL "SuperDrive", a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M "graphics processor with 256 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory".

I upped the RAM to 8GB's though. Will I be fine with this? Right now no effects are disabled .
jroc453 4:25 PM - 26 January, 2012
It seems to run smooth but I have only used it for about a 1/2 hr.
phatbob 4:40 PM - 26 January, 2012
With 8gb of ram you could well get away with it. It's not ideal, but if it works, it works.

In the help area of the forum the mods are generally recommending a 1gb dedicated GPU for best performance.
jroc453 5:04 PM - 26 January, 2012
Thanks phatbob!!! One more question for ya since your pretty good with video... I use a firewire 1 TB ext HD for my music. It's about 70% full. I also have a 2 TB mirrored of the one TB that I keep as a backup at home. I need to find a way to setup my Ext HD's. I wont be doing video for every gig, maybe less the 25% will be video. Would I be better to use my 2tb as my main and have my MP3's and videos on one HD or get another firewire EXT HD and just put video on that and when I have a video gig I can daisy chain the firewire HD's? What would be the best way to do this?
phatbob 5:10 PM - 26 January, 2012
I've never used an external TBH mate I've always used 1 or 2 large internals.

But... No reason you can't play the audio from your videos at non-video gigs, so why cut out half your library? Just use the big drive and keep it all on there.
serkan 10:36 PM - 27 January, 2012
Quote:

That does not work. Setup screen once and forget - nope.

+1

With audio you have big ass speakers screaming your sound out so as a DJ you can (in most cases) hear what you're doing pretty much as the crowd does.
With video you have just tiny windows but in most venues you're not even close to see what your crowd does on the big screens.

I think most DJs will make the mistake and think "I can mix audio like a pro so it couldn't be so hard to mix video". What I think is: It took me years to learn, improve, and find my own style when mixing audio. I'm pretty sure it will take at least as much time and effort to be really good on video.

The thing being new is that we can now do that shit with our beloved ITCH controllers... yay!
:)
selkie 2:47 PM - 2 February, 2012
Here is a video of the Novation Twitch running Serato Video on a mac book pro i7... oh no sorry, it's a macbook white...

Watchwww.youtube.com