DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

The Best Needles & Head Shells for SERATO

digitaljunkeez 8:31 PM - 9 November, 2007
What would you suggest....money is not an issue. GO BIG OR GO HOME, what are yall using. I got them blue ortofon dj needles and technic headshells But my record skips when I am scratching. Help!

Or is it my measurments and weight on my tone arm?
sweetL 8:34 PM - 9 November, 2007
you shouldnt really have to much of an issue, you probably need to set up your needle weights.

if it still isnt working for you, just go to guitar centre and pick up something expensive... theyre all pretty good when it gets expensive. i use those stanton final scratch needles the 980fs cause the output volume is remarkable... but everyone is different.

very much a taste thing.

m447? whitelabels? concordes?
digitaljunkeez 8:41 PM - 9 November, 2007
ok. thanks homie

What is the weight I should set?
SUBSTANCE 1:54 AM - 12 November, 2007
...having fantastic needles doesn't matter as much with serato because the needle is reading a constant tone off the control vinyl... less physical movement of the needle...
I still use m-447 out of habit...
DrStank 2:05 AM - 12 November, 2007
Love my M44-7's. You can pick up M44-7H cartridges that are already installed on the headshell. I got 4 of them and I gave away my Ortofones.
DjWoody 2:30 AM - 12 November, 2007
I love the new Ortofon Digitraks. They kick ass. I never have any problems calibrating serato with them compared to my M44-7's.
DJ_Motion 2:32 AM - 12 November, 2007
Quote:
I love the new Ortofon Digitraks. They kick ass. I never have any problems calibrating serato with them compared to my M44-7's.

+1
djransom 3:09 AM - 12 November, 2007
Quote:

+2
DJ Original Bozak 3:27 AM - 12 November, 2007
Anybody have suggestions for needles needed for recording vinyl to digital? preferably within $50-$100 range? thanks
DJ Overpour 3:34 AM - 12 November, 2007
DAFS
Redi2roc 6:22 AM - 12 November, 2007
m447s are great!!! but they get dusty quickly but Iv tried Orthophones and they are pretty solid and dont dust up easily. Especially if ur a scratch dj. Its really depends on how big ur wallet is.. But any needle has worked for me so far lol the big two are sure and ortofon
DJ Sniffles 6:24 AM - 12 November, 2007
this again??

*coughsearchcough*
djdragon 6:58 AM - 12 November, 2007
I use the M447 body with the M44G styli for vinyl mixing and the M447 for Serato vinyl. For recording or ripping vinyl I use the White Label since it is essentially a V15 without the ruby tip.

Remember no DJ cartridge is a 'diamond' they are just polished gemstones.
DJ Sniffles 7:09 AM - 12 November, 2007
i LOVE my whitelabels.... i use to put the 447's in the whitelabels sometimes

i dunno why really, juss to see if it would work i guess
DJ_Motion 10:14 AM - 12 November, 2007
I used the white labels for 5 years.. great needles then I went with the ortofons and I got better sound out of them so I switched. I could have the trim, with the white labels, at 12 o'clock and get the same sound with the ortofons at 9... It was a huge difference in sound...
matt212 1:22 PM - 12 November, 2007
Quote:
DAFS

LOL! I just realized what that meant, and didn't even have to go to google to look for it. haha
Dustin Fields 5:32 PM - 12 November, 2007
Quote:
Remember no DJ cartridge is a 'diamond' they are just polished gemstones.

Not to get into a fight over this, I just wanted to clarify... DJ cartridges are diamond-tipped, meaning that the stylus is half aluminum with a piece of diamond bonded to the top. Which explains why pure diamond HiFi cartridges (referred to as a "Nude" diamond), are so much more expensive.
DJ Overpour 5:39 PM - 12 November, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
DAFS

LOL! I just realized what that meant, and didn't even have to go to google to look for it. haha

lol

Oh and make sure you hit up Stank for the differences between the voltage of the styli for the M44-7s
VKNY 7:45 PM - 10 February, 2010
I bought new needles for my 1200's and now my songs won't play and the record on my computer screne is playing backwards, but no sound or music can be heard...do I have to do something special when I replace the needles in order for Serato to work again...I cannot understand why this is happening! Thanks
VKNY 7:46 PM - 10 February, 2010
the needles are Stanton 680's
Marx&Villain 8:04 PM - 10 February, 2010
Quote:
I bought new needles for my 1200's and now my songs won't play and the record on my computer screne is playing backwards, but no sound or music can be heard...do I have to do something special when I replace the needles in order for Serato to work again...I cannot understand why this is happening! Thanks

your RCA's might be reversed going into your SL box or tt. not sure tho
eder 10:02 PM - 10 February, 2010
You might wanna buy the custom-edition serato search box needles. To see them in action, watch this youtube link:

Watchwww.youtube.com
zackhill 10:51 PM - 10 February, 2010
Spend the time learning how to balance a tonearm with your carts/needles.. it'll go a long way no matter what you're using.
digitaljunkeez 6:44 PM - 16 February, 2010
Wow I posted this forever.
DJS/R 7:06 PM - 16 February, 2010
props to using the search button!!
Dj Farhan 10:20 PM - 16 February, 2010
just got my shure m44-7s in the mail,. cant wait to play with em!
Djaward 10:30 PM - 16 February, 2010
Go to guitarcenter and tell them you want the full headshel with the needle installed.. Tell them that you saw it on another website for cheaper (make up a price or percentage) and they'll match it.. I usually say PSSL.COM
yashowboy 3:03 AM - 31 May, 2011
I just (finally) switched from Vestax PDX 2000's where I was using ortofones and then switched to shur whitelabels and was happier... But now with my new (to me) Technics 1200 mk2's I put the whitelabels on reconfiged my setup and found that the shur m44-7's that came with the decks were better at traction and signal than my whitelabels.....
just saying
DJ AMaral 1:45 AM - 20 October, 2011
Does the type of needle you have effect the sound quality of your scratches from scratch live?
eder 2:44 AM - 20 October, 2011
Quote:
Does the type of needle you have effect the sound quality of your scratches from scratch live?

short- no. long- it affects the tracking of your record, which could potentially affect the quality of your scratch output.
DJ AMaral 3:27 AM - 20 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

short- no. long- it affects the tracking of your record, which could potentially affect the quality of your scratch output.

Which needles would you recommend I look into buying? I was thinking the Ortofon S-120's they are expensive, but look pretty sweet
eder 9:57 PM - 20 October, 2011
I've used the shure m-447s for YEARS and have never had a problem as long as I clean them.
jwagner 10:19 PM - 20 October, 2011
Quote:
I've used the shure m-447s for YEARS and have never had a problem as long as I clean them.
eder 10:59 PM - 21 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
djmarkol 12:48 AM - 29 July, 2012
Come on... when using serato and timecodes so long as you pick up the signal and at a constant its all good....

When using vinyl records, that is when you got to make sure what you got is right for the type of music you are playing..

Go with M447 with serato dont spend the extra money unless you are going to be swapping between timecodes and records... the other factor to take into account is ware and tear on your fav records...

also a good point was mentioned above, get your weight right, it will go a long way...
:)
DJ Reflex 5:12 AM - 29 July, 2012
I've used Ortofons and Sure needles for both true vinyl and Serato. Best thing I've ever seen though... Groove Glide! Keep those suckers clean!