DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How many of you Dj's use a MPC?

Capo Status 1:04 AM - 11 January, 2012
I was thinking of purchasing a MPC not really to bring with me to gigs but to make beats on etc, whats a good mpc?
DJ Goce 1:13 AM - 11 January, 2012
2500 is really good, similar to classic 2000xl but with spares available plus the convenience of usb and cf cards ..... but wait till Namm, Akai have 3 new models coming out..
pdidy 3:32 AM - 11 January, 2012
DJ LDN 5:21 AM - 23 January, 2012
Depends what you're looking for. Are you prepared to sacrifice function for sound - or would you prefer to sacrifice sound for function?

I wouldn't bother getting any of that Numark rubbish.
Capo Status 6:00 AM - 23 January, 2012
I'm new to this, I don't really want it for live performances, just something simple to start with to make remixes.
DJ NoNseNse 6:03 AM - 23 January, 2012
Get maschine or the new mpc coming out. Mpc's out now are outdated
DJ LDN 6:32 AM - 23 January, 2012
Quote:
I'm new to this, I don't really want it for live performances, just something simple to start with to make remixes.

Hi mate, I'm a hardware man myself and I could wax poetic about Atari's, MPC's and samplers till you die of boredom - but if you're just looking for something to make a remix or two, you are really better of with something like Ableton LIVE. Many people just get an MPC because that's the fashionable thing to do, but with these new Numark ones that you connect up to your computer why not just use a midi controller? Same thing really.

Some people like the old MPC's because you're not constantly looking at the screen when you're making music - so you actually listen to what you're making rather than seeing what you're making - that and the midi timing. Others prefer the sound that the old samplers had, that no amount of bitcrusher/tape saturation/distortion plugins will ever help you achieve (although some will try to tell you otherwise). Any other reason is just fashion. A trawl of any MPC board, will be filled with posts dissecting J Dilla's every move - including the fact that he used an MPC - thereby their purchase of an MPC500 is fully justified to be true to hip hop. Something like that..
Elab 4:16 PM - 24 January, 2012
Quote:
2500 is really good

+2500
DJ Goce 4:35 PM - 24 January, 2012
Quote:
Depends what you're looking for. Are you prepared to sacrifice function for sound - or would you prefer to sacrifice sound for function?

I wouldn't bother getting any of that Numark rubbish.

I was thinking the same, i bought the 2500 just as a backup for my 2000XL (my screen started to fade:(), but i'm really satisfied, good build quality and sounds the same...
I compared same beat, made on 2000XL, on 1000 w/ J.J. OS1 and 2500SE w/ J.J. OS1 and i couldn't tell any difference on 3 pairs of studio monitors and headphones...
DJ LDN 8:09 PM - 24 January, 2012
Quote:
I was thinking the same, i bought the 2500 just as a backup for my 2000XL (my screen started to fade:()...

I can't speak on the sound of the 2000XL as I've never used one, but if your screen is dying just get some new el-foil - www.midi-rakete.de - this guy will even custom make them for any LCD screen.
CMOS 9:07 PM - 24 January, 2012
Man since i got into ableton my MPC collects dust. Anything i want to do on the MPC i can do in a 10th of the time in ableton.

Only thing i miss is what somone said a few posts above, its great to load up with samples, turn off the computers, and bang one out.
DJ Merci 3:13 PM - 7 November, 2014
MPC Studio is awesome
Hyjinx 5:24 PM - 31 May, 2015
Can I use my mpc essentials program while im using serato dj?