Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

SL2 - ASIO-Driver is missing

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL2
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DJ Goody 9:04 AM - 9 January, 2012
I tried to use my new SL-2 as a general soundcard for other Windows applications. The manual has mentioned this possibility as the SL-2 should be supplied with ASIO-drivers. These should be installed along with Scratch Live when a certain checkbox is marked during the install process.

However - there is no such a checkbox and so no ASIO-driver will be installed. I already tried the latest 2.3.3.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 8:00 PM - 9 January, 2012
The SL2 ASIO drivers will only be available for use when using ASIO supported audio applications.

What applications are you trying to use with the SL2 ASIO drivers?
amplogik 12:39 AM - 16 January, 2012
I have EXACTLY the same problem. It actually appears that ASIO drivers were taken out in the latest 2.3.3 release, or they don't work. The release notes for 2.3.3 say that ASIO drivers were updated for the SL1 and the SL3, but no mention of the SL2.

Furthermore, ever since installing 2.3.3, when I try to use the standalone driver control panel that lives in the system settings directory, it says "SL2 not connected" and keeps searching for it, even when it IS connected. Note, Serato Scratch is NOT running at the time, so it is not locking it in some sort of exclusive mode.

I strongly suspect that ASIO driver support has been dropped for the SL2, which frankly is pretty crappy.

I've checked with two other friends using SL2 hardware and windows 7 and they have exactly the same problem.

Trying to work with Ableton stand alone (not with bridge) doesn't work as it doesn't see the hardware, nor to any of my NI programs, nor anything else that speaks ASIO.

Frankly I suspect that this was done deliberately, and its not cool. The SL2 is a hopped up external soundcard that acts as a hardware dongle to lock out features of Serato if you haven't purchased it, which I understand and can agree with, but to prevent it from working with other software when you legitimately own the SL2 hardware and the other software is just plain dirty in my opinon and shows somewhat a disregard for those of us who are producers as well as live musicians.

What this has meant to me is that I've pretty much gone back to traktor and am regretting my Serato purchase.

If this is a software bug, I hope it gets rectified in a future release. I really bought sertao to work with ableton via the bridge, but I'm not always using serato when I compose, and the serato interface to ableton is clunky at best, so why should I be forced to only run one piece of software with the SL2 when it is a perfectly good external audio device.

In short, I'm not particularily impressed. This smells to high heaven of a marketing decision to try to force a software suite down a customer's throat.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:57 AM - 16 January, 2012
you can always downgrade to the version that did work! this is just going tobe a bug! they wont have dropped support for a new product!!!
amplogik 6:51 AM - 16 January, 2012
Yeah, good idea. I tried and it worked. If I downgrade to 2.3.0 the drivers are there. Lets hope that it is just an oversight or a problem with the 2.3.3 installer. Its a pretty serious issue however. It really meant that I moved back to traktor / ableton with max as a production setup instead of using serato. Its nice to have it back after downgrading, but... still, it gives me pause about continuing with the product.

Bottom line is that I'm a professional that bought serato to compliement an already well outfitted production suite, not to require me to replace everything else that I've already invested in, and this really concerned me.

I have a well established workflow and it involves a lot of other tools that need to be able to talk to each other, and loosing ASIO drivers after the upgrade pretty much took serato out of the mix, leaving me going back to the competition in order to complete my work.

As this seems to be a common enough problem on the win7 setups I've seen, maybe this bears a little more investigation by the technical team. It could be an installer issue for all us users know.

Cheers!
Rane, Support
Shaun W 7:54 PM - 16 January, 2012
It looks like an installer bug.

Here's a workaround that you can try:

Here's a workaround:

Exit Scratch Live.

Click the Windows Start menu

Click Computer and open your local C: drive

Open the Program Files (x86) folder

Open the Serato folder and then the Drivers folder

Open the ASIO folder and then open the 32 folder

Locate and copy the SL2 folder (Ctrl C)

Back out of the 32 folder

Right click on the 64 folder and select Paste to paste the SL2 folder

Once the folders are copied into the 64 folder and then close the Explorer window.

Click on the Windows Start menu again

Go to All Programs

Open the Serato folder

Open the ScratchLIVE folder and double click the option "Install ASIO Drivers" and follow the prompts.

After the driver successfully installs and your computer restarts, retest (you may need to disconnect and then reconnect your Rane hardware).

Any luck?
amplogik 8:33 PM - 16 January, 2012
Thanks guys. This sorta worked with 2.3.3, but I had to take one more step in that I mixed the old drivers with the new serato install. Lemme explain...

I tried the above with UAC turned off, and running as administrator to prevent any problems with the installer, but at the point that the terminal (command window) pops upf for the driver installer, it popped up and then vanished without installing a driver But... you gave me an idea...

I backed up my serato library. I then used add/remove programs to completely remove serato and drivers.

I installed 2.3.0 with the SL2 hardware plugged in.

I copied the drivers folder using the above method and stuck them in a backup directory.

I left the SL2 plugged in and ran the installer for 2.3.3. As I suspected, the driver didn't seem to be there again, even after a restart. The RANE control panel application was in the windows control panel, but couldn't find the SL2 again. If followed the above method, and restarted, but no dice. The command window for the driver installer comes up, but then exits almost immediately and I can't see what happened.

So... I thought about it and decided to try the driver from the 2.3.0 install with the 2.3.3 software. I followed the above instructions for the driver only install, but using the backup of the SL2 driver folder I had made from 2.3.0. It worked. The terminal window came up, it took a minute to search for hardware, found the SL2, and continued happily without closing on me.

Now I have ASIO drivers for the SL2, the standalone ASIO control panel works, and I can get ableton to treat it as a 4in / 4 out external audio, and I can capture my ole school vinyl sesions using Audacity, and my NI software is more than happy to send signal from my soft synths out to the SL2.

I reloaded my backup library and all appears to be good.

I tried the same approach on my buddy Dave's computer that was having the same problem and it worked there too.

We're have similar setups. ...both running Win7 64, 8 gigs ram, 2.6GHz quad core.

Given that the terminal window comes up then instantly closes running the 2.3.3 installer, I suspect that there is something Win7 doesn't like about either the 64bit driver, or the installer.

I hope this helps someone else with the same problem. Thanks very much for your help and suggestions.

If I might make a suggestion, it would be useful to have a driver only download package for those of us that need to take this sort of approach. You could distribute the driver stand alone for people like us that have had the driver dissapear after installing 2.3.3. I'm an SA during the day, so I'm pretty comfortable messing about with drivers and backing stuff up, etc... However, average joe user may have problems with my approach, or following your instructions, and it also means you'd save the bandwidth of them downloading a whole new installer for the whole app if all they want is to install a driver. Just a thought.

Cheers!
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:12 PM - 17 January, 2012
Wow, what a process! Thank you for sharing your workaround :)
10:00 PM, 20 Feb 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.