DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Warning: Mac Users, don't upgrade to iTunes 7.5

Culture Drew 8:03 AM - 7 November, 2007
I know a bunch of you use iTunes, so I'll save you some trouble. The iTunes 7.5 update that Apple made available last night is absolute shite. I made the mistake of upgrading it on two different machines before I realized that you are greeted with the "spinning wheel of death" when you start up iTunes. If you wait a long time (at least 5 minutes) iTunes will eventually become usable, though it doesn't always last. So resist the urge to do an automatic update. Here's a link to the Apple forums where other people are having the same type of problems:

discussions.apple.com

BTW, I'm having this problem on both my G5 Tower and my Intel Macbook, both of which are using OS 10.4x.
bourbonstmc 8:13 AM - 7 November, 2007
I've been pretty thoroughly underwhelmed by the last several iTunes updates...
skratchworx 12:26 PM - 7 November, 2007
Zero issues here. Ever. I'm on 10.5 though.
ImShifty 4:25 PM - 7 November, 2007
on 10.4.10, no issues either
sixxx 4:27 PM - 7 November, 2007
10.3.9 No issues either.
DPR250R 5:11 PM - 7 November, 2007
I am on a PC... no issues :)

7.5 includes the "automix" plugin for ScratchLive... works awesome. Did a whole gig last night via remote control while sitting on a bar stool across the room.
DJMark 5:44 PM - 7 November, 2007
On my G4 Powerbook (OS 10.4.10), I found that iTunes 7.5 loads noticeably faster than the last few 7.x versions, and seems quicker about re-writing tags (especially with artwork) as well.
Culture Drew 7:31 PM - 7 November, 2007
I'm using 10.4.10 on both machines. I'm having the exact same problems that a bunch of the other people on the Apple forums are having, so it must be something in our configuration.

Anyway, I would expect that there will be a 7.5.1 coming soon. Those of you who haven't taken the plunge yet might want to wait for that.
DVDjHardy 7:48 PM - 7 November, 2007
10.4.10 - No issues so far.
XSV 9:36 PM - 7 November, 2007
10.4.10 & Leopard no issues yet. Seems stable.
cappinkirk 9:51 PM - 7 November, 2007
there is a scratchlive automix plugin in itunes???

whatchoo talkinbout DPR250R?
djpuma_gemini 10:04 PM - 7 November, 2007
Quote:
Zero issues here. Ever. I'm on 10.5 though.

Same no issues. Though leopard is quite slow to load compared to tiger.
Billy18bm 10:41 PM - 7 November, 2007
Quote:
there is a scratchlive automix plugin in itunes???

whatchoo talkinbout DPR250R?

haha n00b
Old School Joe 12:38 AM - 8 November, 2007
10.4 I had no issues after the update.
DJMark 4:33 AM - 12 November, 2007
Okay, so I may need to take back what I said earlier here about iTunes 7.5:

www.scratchlive.net

To make a long story short: right after doing those updates, I had the first real trouble I've ever had with SSL...after nearly two years of using it. Since I hadn't changed anything else in my system, and my hardware seems to be fine...and I've been using 1.7.4 for weeks trouble-free... those problems seemed like something more than a coincidence.

I would actually suspect QuickTime 7.3 more than I would the new iTunes version, but since iTunes 7.5 seems to depend on that QuickTime version, I've reverted both to the previous versions. Thank God for SuperDuper! and that I'd had the presence of mind to update my backup boot drive right before doing those iTunes/QuickTime updates.

Anyone else having any weirdness after those updates?
Culture Drew 7:00 AM - 12 November, 2007
I fixed my problem by downloading iTunes 7.4.2 (www.oldapps.com), and that fixed things. I'm still using QuickTime 7.3, so my guess is that the problem is either with iTunes or with the combination of iTunes 7.5 and QuickTime 7.3.
DJMark 7:29 AM - 12 November, 2007
Quote:
I fixed my problem by downloading iTunes 7.4.2 (www.oldapps.com), and that fixed things. I'm still using QuickTime 7.3, so my guess is that the problem is either with iTunes or with the combination of iTunes 7.5 and QuickTime 7.3.

Nice website find there. It sounds like we had two completely different problems...iTunes 7.5 itself worked fine for me, but SSL seemed to develop some new problems after that update.

Were you able to open your iTunes library with iTunes 7.4.2 after using it with 7.5? I tried to do that, but got a message that the library had been created with a newer version....I had to use the previous version of the iTunes library (from the backup boot drive) and re-import the 20 or so songs I'd added with iTunes 7.5.
a-swift 4:05 PM - 12 November, 2007
i nearly called shenanigans on this thread but then my itunes 7.5 went straight whacky. damn it was pissing me off. i downgraded to 7.4.2 because it was all i had hanging around. everything is cool now and i'm avoiding 7.5 like the hiv.
Culture Drew 11:35 PM - 12 November, 2007
Quote:
Were you able to open your iTunes library with iTunes 7.4.2 after using it with 7.5?

I had no trouble going back to 7.4.2. One one of the Apple forums, someone said you need to repair disk permissions after you downgrade, but it worked for me even before repairing the permissions.
Dj Koppa Top 12:46 AM - 13 November, 2007
I got trapped too.....freezing and doesn't play audio good.....i think itunes is loosing it apple need to get their shit together. These couple releases have been really shitty. i wonder when they gonna make it optional to install ipod, iphone and apple tv support. i only need the ipod support.

It would've complemented SL 1.8 very nicly if it was working good....rane came through on their part of the bargain but apple didn't...
SUBSTANCE 3:02 AM - 28 November, 2007
so, um... any progress on this?
I notice apple hasn't rushed another update out straight away to solve these issues.
Has anyone been using 7.5 (with or without serato) and had no problems?
smutek 3:20 AM - 28 November, 2007
No problems at all with iTunes 7.5 on my G5 tower (OS 10.4.11)

Haven't updated my powerbook yet, and that's my serato box so I can't speak on how the two apps may interact, but no problems with my tower.
stevie o 3:51 AM - 28 November, 2007
PowerBook g4 workin fine with7.5
DJMark 3:52 AM - 28 November, 2007
Quote:
No problems at all with iTunes 7.5 on my G5 tower (OS 10.4.11)

Haven't updated my powerbook yet, and that's my serato box so I can't speak on how the two apps may interact, but no problems with my tower.

I would, based on my own experiences, leave the Powerbook alone. iTunes 7.5/Quicktime 7.3 seemed perfectly fine, until the first gig with Serato. I'm still not sure whether it was the Quicktime update or the iTunes update that caused problems, but since rolling back to the previous versions of both I've had no problems at all.
smutek 3:56 AM - 28 November, 2007
Yeah, I'll take your advice on that. No real need to update anyway -- "If it ain't broken" ya know?
Culture Drew 9:50 AM - 29 November, 2007
I haven't checked out the iTunes forums in a while, but the last time I did, it was starting to seem like the problem most affected people with LOTS of songs in their libraries and/or were using external drives. But there seem to be lots of SSL users (most of whom are using external drives with lots of songs) who have no problem at all.
Dj Koppa Top 6:31 PM - 29 November, 2007
i use it to rip my cds for serato and it just freezes at times.........especially when i'm listen through the tracks. i just close it in the process manager and it works fine after i restart. It never did that to me before i upgraded to 7.5.
Culture Drew 10:39 AM - 2 December, 2007
Quote:
i use it to rip my cds for serato and it just freezes at times.........especially when i'm listen through the tracks. i just close it in the process manager and it works fine after i restart. It never did that to me before i upgraded to 7.5.

I had the same problem. iTunes would play one track fine, but as soon as it went to the next track it would freeze. Just go back to iTunes 7.4.2.
mikeacosta 7:44 AM - 3 December, 2007
Is there another way to downgrade ? It wont let me install 7.4.2 since a newer version exists on the system ( Macbook Pro 2.33 intel 2GB ram 10.4.10 )

Also those of you that had the problems with the new iTunes 7.5 and SSL was it because you use the iTunes playlists within SSL or did it somehow affect your SSL Crates ?
Dj Koppa Top 10:34 AM - 3 December, 2007
There U go ......uninstall 7.5 first them install this

oldapps.com
SUBSTANCE 8:57 PM - 3 December, 2007
I'm starting to notice that Apple doesn't acknowledge some widespread issues AT ALL...

itunes 7.5/ Quicktime 7.3
Macbook USB dropouts
Bluetooth (a bunch of people have had their Apple BT mouse/keyboard stop pairing just as Apple released newer versions)

It's kinda bullshit although I still prefer it to updating windows virus definitions every 2 days.
mikeacosta 10:59 PM - 3 December, 2007
Those that have had problems with SSL AFTER you updated to iTunes , can you describe what kind of problems they were ?
Big Jacks 11:05 PM - 27 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

so im on oldapps.com to get an older version of itunes for my mac. when the file is done d/ling and i try to open it i get a message that says 'the file "___" does not appear to compressed or encoded......' am i doing something wrong here? im a PC dude so im still gettin used to macs for this kinda stuff.

also, do i need to uninstall 7.5 before i downgrade to another version? how do i uninstall 7.5 (i'm slow). i want to make sure i got all these steps proper before i do anything!

thanks for any help from anyone.
AdamJay 11:00 PM - 29 December, 2007
no issues here with 10.4.10 and 7.5 iTunes
AdamJay 11:02 PM - 29 December, 2007
and quicktime 7.3.1 as well.

wierd. i am having zero problems with SSL 1.8.0, yet so many others are

i use both SSL Crates and smart itunes playlists in SSL.
DD 6:28 AM - 2 January, 2008
Quote:
no issues here with 10.4.10 and 7.5 iTunes

Is it Powerbook G4 users that is happening to?

Seems like its iTunes 7.5 works for Mac Pro users?

Can anyone can confirm this?
Culture Drew 8:18 AM - 5 January, 2008
I had it happen on both my G5 tower and my Macbook (the regular one...not the pro). They both have identical software configurations and they use the same type of external hard drives, so I think it's caused by the model of computer.
Culture Drew 8:19 AM - 5 January, 2008
^^ I mean I *don't* think the problem is caused by the computer model