DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

house dj's using turntables

ruthless deejay 12:59 AM - 3 January, 2012
I don't see or hear a lot of house dj's using turntables, and from most of the videos i see they mainly use cdjs. i dont have either, but surely the next step would be either turntables or cdjs. i like to hone my skills in mixing house music. My question is, are turntables suitable for a house dj? and what are the benefits of turntables (for a house dj) if cdjs are much easier to use?
str8nger 2:14 AM - 3 January, 2012
i spin house, electro and hiphop , i use turntables makes it fun because of the big spinning platter and the dope ass colors of serato vinyl!!! , i never touched a cdj so i couldnt tell you if there better. but nothing is going to be " easier" its what works for you
lvmez 2:24 AM - 3 January, 2012
Quote:
I don't see or hear a lot of house dj's using turntables, and from most of the videos i see they mainly use cdjs. i dont have either, but surely the next step would be either turntables or cdjs. i like to hone my skills in mixing house music. My question is, are turntables suitable for a house dj? and what are the benefits of turntables (for a house dj) if cdjs are much easier to use?

to your answer your question:

House music has been around MUCH LONGER than cdj's. It was started on turntables and should remain there.
ruthless deejay 2:29 AM - 3 January, 2012
Quote:
House music has been around MUCH LONGER than cdj's. It was started on turntables and should remain there.

i hear you.. i guess i'm just trying to go the easy way but what would you say about big dj's using cdj's all the time?
str8nger 2:41 AM - 3 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

i hear you.. i guess i'm just trying to go the easy way but what would you say about big dj's using cdj's all the time?

dude what the hell nothing is easy stop being lazy and learn how to use them shit serato already made it easier to use turntables! if u want easier then go with a controller that has all the sync buttons and shit
ruthless deejay 2:46 AM - 3 January, 2012
Quote:
dude what the hell nothing is easy stop being lazy and learn how to use them shit serato already made it easier to use turntables! if u want easier then go with a controller that has all the sync buttons and shit

you're right, those dj's know how to use turntables already that's why u cant judge them for using cdj's. damn it, i wish i could delete threads i started. i feel like i ask stupid questions all the time.
haze324 2:51 AM - 3 January, 2012
It's called evolution man. House DJ's stopped carrying crates of records and started carrying CD's. The Hip Hop DJ, eventually went DVS. House DJ's stayed on CDJ's as newer DJ's entered the ranks. There are plenty of House DJ's still on Vinyl. Fat Boy Slim uses SSL on turntables.
DJ Benny B NYC 3:00 AM - 3 January, 2012
It doesnt matter... Its all personal preference
ruthless deejay 3:15 AM - 3 January, 2012
Quote:
It's called evolution man. House DJ's stopped carrying crates of records and started carrying CD's. The Hip Hop DJ, eventually went DVS. House DJ's stayed on CDJ's as newer DJ's entered the ranks. There are plenty of House DJ's still on Vinyl. Fat Boy Slim uses SSL on turntables.

now i feel a little better!
dj_soo 3:17 AM - 3 January, 2012
a lot of house djs also think that CDJs sound better than serato (especially the SL1) but yea, house used to be all about the turntables and vinyl until the early and mid 00s....
DJ Garebear 5:47 AM - 3 January, 2012
Quote:

^^^^That was the only right answer, you sir win a bag of skittles
Papa Midnight 6:31 AM - 3 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

^^^^That was the only right answer, you sir win a bag of skittles

Watchwww.youtube.com
phatbob 6:18 PM - 3 January, 2012
Actually even Fatboy Slim is on CDJs with SL now.

Turntables are basically over in the house scene. I can name you a few vinyl hold-outs but they're the exception, not the rule.

A shame. But a fact.
Dj No Name 6:34 PM - 3 January, 2012
The only benefit imo is the fun factor, nothing beats using TT's.
ruthless deejay 6:35 PM - 3 January, 2012
Quote:
Actually even Fatboy Slim is on CDJs with SL now.

Turntables are basically over in the house scene. I can name you a few vinyl hold-outs but they're the exception, not the rule.

A shame. But a fact.

which is more preferred by a house dj, motorized or non motorized cdjs?
phatbob 6:53 PM - 3 January, 2012
Always Pioneer. The 1000/2000 is the Technics 1200 of the new decade.

DJ No Name, I'm totally with you on turntables being more fun though.
DJ Head 7:37 PM - 3 January, 2012
I spin mainly electro and dutch house and I use Serato with my Numark TT's at home. (gotta love that vinyl feel) But all the clubs I spin at only provide CDJ's now. The one club that did have 1200's in the booth for some reason unknown to me got rid of them when they upgraded the setup from cdj 1000's to 2000's. Now when I spin there I only bring two flash drives. (LOVE that) I don't see the point in using Serato with CDJ's when you could just be spinning CD's? Too many of these new laptop DJ's rely on those waveforms waaaayyy too much. I saw a DJ the other week whose laptop crashed before his set and said he couldn't play even though he had a book of CD's in his car.... WTF?
sacrilicious 8:46 PM - 3 January, 2012
Turntables are more fun, CDs are probably a bit more stable to mix long blends on. To each their own.
DjWoody 9:03 PM - 3 January, 2012
There's quite a few big EDM DJ's who still use turntables without any form of DVS system. Luciano & Sven Vath quickly come to mind. You also gotta remember, for traveling "house" DJ's turntables are very inconvenient because they carry crates loaded with real vinyl for their marathon sets.

Real vinyls on the EDM world are kinda like a cult thing. Most DJ's who still use it are more underground. And yes, there's still new music being released exclusively on vinyl. Those records are hard to get too.
willythekidd 9:29 PM - 3 January, 2012
Andy C use's three decks with real vinyl...not house music but still an EDM genre.
phatbob 9:34 PM - 3 January, 2012
Drum & Bass DJs and clubs still hold a LOT of affection for vinyl and dubplate culture, even though most of the bigger names are on CD or DVS now. Dubstep is the same.

A lot of the time DJs don't WANT to make the switch, but in most UK clubs now you're lucky if they have Techs at all. If they do, they tend to be poorly maintained, and badly installed, often by technicians who have no real experience of setting up a booth for vinyl use.

DJ Zinc is one in particular who switched to Serato with CDJs, instead of Serato with vinyl this year, for those exact reasons.
DJ Garebear 9:38 PM - 3 January, 2012
Quote:
I saw a DJ the other week whose laptop crashed before his set and said he couldn't play even though he had a book of CD's in his car.... WTF?

LOL, yeah send that kid packing. All DJ's need to be able to DJ without a laptop. I can see if your at a club and you brought your technics and your computer craps out on you...not expecting you to bring all of your vinyls...but in that case you should have a second laptop. But for DJs with CDJs you need to bring your MP3s and flash drives and know how to improvise with it....GO BACK TO YOUR ROOTS
Dj No Name 9:56 PM - 3 January, 2012
Quote:
Always Pioneer. The 1000/2000 is the Technics 1200 of the new decade.

DJ No Name, I'm totally with you on turntables being more fun though.

I love spinning on my TT's but if i am honest i can put down a much tighter set on my cdjs but it just don't please me the same........
phatbob 10:12 PM - 3 January, 2012
Long mixes on CDJs, especially in +/-6% pitch mode, are ridiculously easy, for sure.
Danye 10:55 PM - 3 January, 2012
I like to stick almost strictly to house, and got two pairs of of technics. Even got some butter rugs and decent scratching needles too even though I stick to my whitelabels. It's not the most ideal set up for a house DJ for obvious reasons, but as far as I know I don't want to use anything else. It's too fun and it gives me COMPLETE freedom. I feel like i have a hard time manipulating whatever I please on a controller. For the most part I only have to worry about long clean mixes.. but sometimes I want to switch genres, beat juggle and scratch.

On NYE I DJ'd for my buddy's 80's theme party and we were able to go from our laptops + serato to real vinyls and 45's.

I've always figured if you start at the very beginning, you can only go up from there. Lame wording, but essentially what I mean is if you learn how to use a controller, it's gonna be harder to go to something analog.

and yes, you said it in a post yourself. You do ask some stupid questions. No offense, but i'm rarely ever here but when I am I feel like it's because you need help
Joshua Carl 11:35 PM - 3 January, 2012
there is one MAJOR perk to using CDJs.
and this is coming from a DIE-HARD vinyl hound.

but Im running into this more and more and more these days.

clubs are designing their soundsystem around a CDJ installation;
meaning they are putting subs under/in the booth.... because unless its sitting on rubber
the CDJs handle that bass alot better than the Turntables do, even when they are sitting on
concrete, or pillows, or stacks of napkins...
unless they are old school suspeneded.... if its a banging sound system calibrating is gonna be a bitch.,
I have 2 spots where I have to bring 2 inch thick cuts of rubber, and use my digi carts.
using 44-7s and nothing under the 1200s feet puts your track in the red... no
calibrating can avoid it... its poor design... or design for a cdj.

it pains me because I lug my 1200s everywhere.
I say, if your the kinda guy that demands a piece of equipment, be prepared to bring it.
then you get set up and your jumpin into emergency interal everysong.

other than that... I think alot of Producer/DJs leaned towards CDJS becuase when
cds first came out, it was the easiest way to drop new productions
didnt have to wait for a vinyl pressing...so that was just the best option for that at the time.
Evon 2:38 PM - 4 January, 2012
I play house on turntables. I think its more fun and i like how the flutter makes me ride the pitch different. CDJs do sound cleaner and are more convenient in clubs, but turntables looks way cooler and more fun to play. Going from turntables to CDJ are a stroll in the park, I guess it would be harder the other way around.
Seth Troxler and Ricardo Villalobos still rock the turntables :)
kristoff1986 4:31 PM - 4 January, 2012
Quote:
Andy C use's three decks with real vinyl...not house music but still an EDM genre.

actually, he is now on Traktor because of his new 'Alive' Tour
BattleFunk 4:56 PM - 4 January, 2012
So that's 3.
HandsomeRobDJ 5:16 PM - 4 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

you're right, those dj's know how to use turntables already that's why u cant judge them for using cdj's. damn it, i wish i could delete threads i started. i feel like i ask stupid questions all the time.

+1 "know how to use turntables already"
-1 "stupid questions"

Wise man say no stupid question... ONLY stupid answer ; )
phatbob 6:56 PM - 4 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

actually, he is now on Traktor because of his new 'Alive' Tour

That's a real shock, always though Andy C would go to the grave clutching his dubs. Just watched the D&B TV interview where he talks about the Alive set-up.

Will be very interested to see if he sticks with Traktor for regular club gigs now...
dj_soo 12:37 AM - 5 January, 2012
Quote:
That's a real shock, always though Andy C would go to the grave clutching his dubs. Just watched the D&B TV interview where he talks about the Alive set-up.

Will be very interested to see if he sticks with Traktor for regular club gigs now...

I think the older you get, the more your back starts to hurt.

Surprised to hear about Andy C.

Local legend in Vancouver named Vinyl Ritchie recently switched to serato after refusing for years and years... really weird seeing the holdouts finally switching and playing off laptops...

Man he used to rock like 4-5 hour all-45 sets... amazing...
djatrain@hotmail.com 2:35 PM - 5 January, 2012
You guys talking about Real house music or cheesy pop house?
djbanno 2:47 PM - 5 January, 2012
Quote:
I play house on turntables. I think its more fun and i like how the flutter makes me ride the pitch different. CDJs do sound cleaner and are more convenient in clubs, but turntables looks way cooler and more fun to play. Going from turntables to CDJ are a stroll in the park, I guess it would be harder the other way around :)

I hear ya!
kristoff1986 3:26 PM - 5 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Surprised to hear about Andy C.

quote]

for someone of his skill, it would be a damn shame if he doesnt actually use traktor to its max capabability and just use it for blending like how he does with regular vinyl. i think the whole drum and bass community gasped a little when they heard he had switched lol
Taiko 3:49 PM - 5 January, 2012
I mostly DJ house and electro, and I have never touched a CDJ in my entire time. Started on straight vinyl, moved to Serato later on and I haven't faltered. Unfortunately I do end up having to bring my own gear to most clubs, but I don't really care. It's how I roll.
ruthless deejay 4:08 PM - 5 January, 2012
Quote:

real house and including the subgenres
ruthless deejay 4:10 PM - 5 January, 2012
Quote:

any of you guys have back pains after doing 4hr/+ sets?
toasted 4:10 PM - 5 January, 2012
ive always used vinyl up until about 5 months ago, never used a cdj in my life, or control vinyl
toasted 4:11 PM - 5 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

any of you guys have back pains after doing 4hr/+ sets?

no but my feet did after a 12hr set lol
kristoff1986 4:15 PM - 5 January, 2012
well ive never used a cdj, control vinyl or vinyl. i stick to cassettes. sell outs, the lot of you
phonze 4:17 PM - 5 January, 2012
lol I used to mix off of two tape decks as well.
ruthless deejay 4:17 PM - 5 January, 2012
i mean doest ur back hurt after hours of rocking ur hips back and forth? to the music i mean.
toasted 4:21 PM - 5 January, 2012
Quote:
i mean doest ur back hurt after hours of rocking ur hips back and forth? to the music i mean.

no just practice doggy style soon build up your muscles
ruthless deejay 4:27 PM - 5 January, 2012
Quote:

what is doggie style?
BattleFunk 4:32 PM - 5 January, 2012
similar to hamster but nothing like crabbing
phatbob 4:38 PM - 5 January, 2012
Quote:

Doesn't matter. All sub-genres of house.

Lil' Louie Vega has been using CDJs for years now. I doubt anyone has much more of a claim to be 'real house music' than him.
toasted 4:45 PM - 5 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

what is doggie style?

Quote:
Quote:

what is doggie style?

at 16 seconds
wn.com
ruthless deejay 4:52 PM - 5 January, 2012
Quote:
at 16 seconds
wn.com

best doggie style video ive seen! lmao
filitico 5:18 PM - 27 August, 2012
last time i checked, seth troxler is using traktor :( although i must say that if you're a famous dj you should have both handy
VDJ ASTRO 3:31 AM - 5 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
at 16 seconds
wn.com

best doggie style video ive seen! lmao

+1000 funny shh