DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

My Technics 1200-MKII REBORN!

DJ Sound Technique 9:51 PM - 4 November, 2007
I still have a set of 1200s from the late 80s that I learned how to mix on (I think this was my second set), Since I started using Serato, I was ready to replace them with the MK5Gs but decided to rebuild mine! It is amazing, they play just like the day I bought them! And yes, I still use my Denon 3500s with Serato for weddings, but only the 1200s at the club with Serato...

Here is what I did:
1) Completley stripped, powdercoated Tiger Drylac Pearl white
2) Replaced the tone arms with brand new ones
3) Modified the pitch slider to remove the center click and completley cleaned them out.
4) Recalibrated the pitch gain and zero point
5) Replaced ALL the leds on the decks with blue ones, the pop up cue light is a dual LED setup
6) My blue Serato vinyl is on the way here 8)

www.djsoundtechnique.com
Maskrider 9:57 PM - 4 November, 2007
Good job! Did you do it youself?
djrocket 9:59 PM - 4 November, 2007
nice
Logisticalstyles 10:19 PM - 4 November, 2007
Nice. I just recently replaced a tone arm on my 1210. How hard was it to paint?
DJ Sound Technique 10:54 PM - 4 November, 2007
Yeah I did it all myself, I had one of my vendors from work do the bead blast and powdercoat. It is not that hard, just take your time when you do it and keep track of where things go
DJ K-otik 11:02 PM - 4 November, 2007
Damn that looks nice.
RnBDJkb 4:12 PM - 6 November, 2007
nice job, Technique
DJ XTC 4:17 PM - 6 November, 2007
how did you get the cover off to powdercoat it?
DPR250R 5:21 PM - 6 November, 2007
Good Work!!!

When can I send mine?
DPR250R 5:35 PM - 6 November, 2007
Quote:
Nice work Tech! Did you have to desolder the pitch fader to take it apart and clean it out? The off pitch is my main pet peeve with older 1200's.

I think it is easier to just replace them with new MK5 pitch sliders. Gets rid of the "click" and much easier then taking the pitch slider apart.
Dj BuddyLove 6:00 PM - 6 November, 2007
Check out this guy's work..
www.12x0.de
www.12x0.de

man do i want to mod my decks with leds under the platter [Friggin Sick]:P
De LA 7:03 PM - 6 November, 2007
wow
Certified Quality Entertainment 7:18 PM - 6 November, 2007
Wow. thats awesome! I wonder how long all that took. Guy must have had a lot of free time!
Maskrider 9:56 PM - 6 November, 2007
I guess it took him a month for that
DJ Sound Technique 2:11 AM - 7 November, 2007
Quote:
how did you get the cover off to powdercoat it?

The tables were COMPLETLEY stripped down, all the electronics removed.

Yes you have to de-solder the pitch fader, bend the tabs back, and carefully take the center detent ball and spring out. I then cleaned them out with a q-tip and distilled water. They work GREAT now!

I have heard of people trying the fader from the other models and having problems, really better to just modify it. It is not that hard.

It takes about 1 hr to strip one after you do one or two of them.
Steve E Wunda 4:02 PM - 12 March, 2011
How much did it cost to do the powder coating?
Dax 9:32 AM - 13 March, 2011
Quote:
www.12x0.de
www.12x0.de

lol i still have one of my 1200's in bits with a shit paint job and fucked pitch PCB because i found that site two years ago !!!!!!!!
i spent a bit of money on new lights,hi-grade phono's,paint ,new pitch's ,new pitch graphics and coloured pop up lights covers.
the plan was to do them all white and black but i lost all interest when i couldn't find a way of reprinting the graphics back on after re-painting.
you can now get stickers on ebay but in time i can see them coming off.
cgi.ebay.co.uk
i will finish the job one day!!!!!!!!!!
good luck to anyone who take this on.
peds 2:27 PM - 13 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

www.12x0.de
www.12x0.de

lol i still have one of my 1200's in bits with a shit paint job and fucked pitch PCB because i found that site two years ago !!!!!!!!
i spent a bit of money on new lights,hi-grade phono's,paint ,new pitch's ,new pitch graphics and coloured pop up lights covers.
the plan was to do them all white and black but i lost all interest when i couldn't find a way of reprinting the graphics back on after re-painting.
cgi.ebay.co.uk
i will finish the job one day!!!!!!!!!!
good luck to anyone who take this on.

thats where i got mine from and they haven't come off
Steve E Wunda 4:20 PM - 13 March, 2011
Quote:

All you have to do to prevent this is put them on before you do the last couple of coats of the clear coat. This way they will be locked in between the layers of clear.
DJ Remy USA 5:18 PM - 13 March, 2011
I think I'm gonna mod my 1200s I have a really ancient black 1200 model. The tonearm is all bent but I still use it. RCA only work if you wiggle them or tape them together at the base. Anybody have a link with detailed instructions?
Steve E Wunda 5:32 PM - 13 March, 2011
For tonearm replacement....
Watchwww.youtube.com

For RCA's replacement....
Watchwww.youtube.com

You can also buy the whole set with the RCAs already soldered to the circuit board, then all you have to do is solder the tonearm connections into the board.

Here's how to check if the tonearm is in need of repair or replacement......
Watchwww.youtube.com

If it's bent you definitly need a replacement, this affects your tracking and how quickly you wear out needles and records.

I have a pair of MK2s that I am the original owner of, about 16 years old. I am replacing tonearms, tonearm bases with 1210 parts so they are all black. new black pitch decal, new tonearm fixing plates, new rcas, new pitch faders, new leds for strobe, pop up, 33/45, and pitch lights. May do the pitch mod for taking out the click and defeating the "dead zones" around zero, new paint job, decals, new feet, etc.
DJWALDO 5:39 PM - 13 March, 2011
Didn't replace my tonearms they are in great shape. Did remove the ball bearing from the pitch slider. And the rest goes like this....

s1029.photobucket.com
Steve E Wunda 5:46 PM - 13 March, 2011
Quote:
Didn't replace my tonearms they are in great shape. Did remove the ball bearing from the pitch slider. And the rest goes like this....

s1029.photobucket.com

Did you just take out the ball bearing or did you do the other mod too where you disable the quartz lock at zero?
DJWALDO 5:49 PM - 13 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

s1029.photobucket.com

Did you just take out the ball bearing or did you do the other mod too where you disable the quartz lock at zero?

just removed the spring and bearing...
Steve E Wunda 5:52 PM - 13 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

s1029.photobucket.com

just removed the spring and bearing...

How do you like that?
jevo9 5:53 PM - 13 March, 2011
i have a question guy, i been checking on youtube how to calibrate the pitch on the 1200's but i cant seem to find on 1210 or 1200 mk5 the pitch is different.
jevo9 5:54 PM - 13 March, 2011
Quote:
i have a question guys, i been checking on youtube how to calibrate the pitch on the 1200's but i cant seem to find on 1210 or 1200 mk5 the pitch is different.

oh yeah how much do you guys spent on the powecoating each deck
DJWALDO 5:58 PM - 13 March, 2011
@ Steve Love it! gives me the adjustment and never locks me in until I am on 0

@ jevo the mk5's are digital and I wouldn't know what powder coating costs. I did 100% of the work myself
Steve E Wunda 8:05 PM - 13 March, 2011
@Waldo does your zero light come on before you hit the zero marker? I have heard that the light still comes on before you hit zero and that once the light is on it is locked in at zero pitch control.
DJWALDO 8:14 PM - 13 March, 2011
Quote:
@Waldo does your zero light come on before you hit the zero marker? I have heard that the light still comes on before you hit zero and that once the light is on it is locked in at zero pitch control.

Plus or minus a decimal that's about it. I mean if you use the light as a guide it may be a lil misleading but unless you're riding pitch for 2 minutes on a constant basis it's a very nominal detail....
brkdncr 9:17 PM - 13 March, 2011
Quote:

you are correct, un-modded, that pitch lock will make life annoying. It's very simple to remove tho, just look for instructions online. I think it's just a wire that is cut. Did mine years ago.
Steve E Wunda 9:31 PM - 13 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

you are correct, un-modded, that pitch lock will make life annoying. It's very simple to remove tho, just look for instructions online. I think it's just a wire that is cut. Did mine years ago.

@brkdncr - Does the light still work on the pitch control or is it out of service after you do this mod?
DJWALDO 9:32 PM - 13 March, 2011
I never cut a wire... just removed the bearing and spring... light still works
DJ Sound Technique 3:02 AM - 19 March, 2011
$150 lot charge to get the powdercoated, but you need to bead blast them and have them ready to coat first
DJ Remy USA 1:04 PM - 19 March, 2011
Quote:
$150 lot charge to get the powdercoated, but you need to bead blast them and have them ready to coat first

is this all the prep work involved? Just bead blast and coat? What kind of coat?
philldafunk 4:05 PM - 19 March, 2011
Quote:
www.12x0.de
www.12x0.de

I emailed that guy awhile back, and he was willing to do work on mine if I mailed them to him. Wasn't sure about the risk, but If I can get an all white w/ blue leds under the platter lol... Next Time im in Germany I'll be sure to look him up
Logisticalstyles 3:31 AM - 28 March, 2011
I started painting mine this weekend. I'm doing them one at a time. I'm in between coats right now. I decided to go with Black Pearl. Maybe next month I'll replace the lights. I've already used toothpaste and then Brasso on the platter and that made a difference. Now I'm just waiting to add another couple of coats of paint then the clear coat and finally re-assemble them. Last week I replaced the RCA's and the ground wire. I think when I reassemble them I am going to eliminate the ground wire completely. Those youtube videos really helped a lot. I highly recommend that anyone attempting to do this watch those videos first.
DJ Sound Technique 4:36 AM - 30 March, 2011
Mine were powdercoated, not painted. A good bead blast to remove all the old paint was all that was required
Logisticalstyles 1:35 PM - 30 March, 2011
Painting is a lot harder than I thought. I'm nearly done though. I should be applying the clear coat today or tomorrow and have the 1st one reassembled on Saturday.
DJ Sound Technique 7:30 AM - 23 April, 2011
MIne are actually for sale now if anyone is interested :-)

inlandempire.craigslist.org
djchase 6:30 PM - 23 April, 2011
ibtl?
DJ Sound Technique 3:10 AM - 24 April, 2011
Damn sold them today :-)
Cuervo 7:21 AM - 24 April, 2011
I have the Technics 1210M5G for sale...
djbanno 9:33 AM - 24 April, 2011
Quote:
MIne are actually for sale now if anyone is interested :-)

inlandempire.craigslist.org

Quote:
I have the Technics 1210M5G for sale...

I'm buying Numark belt drives if anybody is selling...lol
djchase 2:45 AM - 27 April, 2011
read the rules gents no selling on the forum

ibtl