Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Novation Twitch working with Numark NS7 NS7FX - Working 99%

Kieron 10:40 PM - 27 December, 2011
OK, with thanks to Scratchworx and Funky S from the forums I picked up my Numark NS7FX to go along with my Macbook Air and Novation Twitch.
Also, please remember this is totally unofficial and is not supported by Serato, Novation or Numark. I certainly hope Serato leave this "feature" in future software though.

Here's how to get them working every time.

Boot MacBook
DO NOT PLUG IN CONTROLLERS
Start Itch. Must be 2.0 or 2.1 Beta or above
Wait for crates to load
PLUG IN NOVATION TWITCH
Wait for twitch to be recognized
Power up Numark NS7
PLUG IN NS7 (must be in that order)

Almost everything works.

Ok, so we are using the Twitch as the audio controller so your amp needs to be plugged into the output of the Twitch. The NS7 is being used for additional midi controls (platter etc)

What doesn't work?

Crossfaders. The software will report that the crossfaders are enabled but will show the "Warning: Crossfaders disabled" error at the bottom of the screen. De-activating and re-activating crashes the system.

Everything else works fine. Slicer, Sync, Auto Loop, Cue Points etc etc. You can select tracks from either controller, you have full platter control. I have noticed that the platter range on the NS7 seems to start as 100% so I always drop it to 8%.

Can't test the NS7FX part as I do not have enough USB ports. All the FX work on the Twitch in any case.

Power down the usual way.

If you experience problems. Unplug the NS7 first. Unplug the Twitch. Turn the power on and off to the NS7 and then plug back in as per instructions at the top of this post. Should you need to force close the software you will need to reboot. Again, start as per instructions above.

I've ran the system for hours with no problems. Scratching via the faders is the only issue as the crossfader doesn't work.

I hope Serato leave this unofficial "feature" in as multiple controllers really adds a massive difference to DJ'ing and I hope they are interested in possibly making this an official feature in future releases of Itch.

Again, thanks to Scrathworx, Funky S and of course Serato, Novation and Numark.

Video link to follow...
Kieron 11:04 PM - 27 December, 2011
Ok, a bit more testing. Crossfaders seem to work if you disable and enable them BEFORE loading tracks upon startup.

So the correct boot up would be...

Boot MacBook
DO NOT PLUG IN CONTROLLERS
Start Itch. Must be 2.0 or 2.1 Beta or above
Wait for crates to load
PLUG IN NOVATION TWITCH
Wait for twitch to be recognized
Power up Numark NS7
PLUG IN NS7 (must be in that order)
Set platter control to 8%
Disable and then re-enable crossfaders.

So there we are. Pretty much 100% working now.
Funky ß 6:37 AM - 28 December, 2011
Great job Kieron! This method also works great for me on Windows 7 as long as you're using Twitch for the sound card. I've been able to get it work using the NS7 sound card but not consistently. It seems that if you try to load the NS7 first the audio gets sped up 99% of the time and the other 1% it works.
I also tried to use the NSFX unit and it works- sort of... When you select an effect on either controller it sets the effect on the controller you used but not on the other controller. You can use the older effect on the other controller but you will not be able to adjust some of the parameters. I've been able to get some crazy sounds but would not use this in a live setting.
I've also never had the cross fader issue, that must be be a system specific issue?
Kieron 12:04 PM - 28 December, 2011
Cheers mate. Yep got the crossfaders working now each time too. Put together a video showing it all.

Watchwww.youtube.com
djcsmv 11:46 PM - 28 December, 2011
good stuff did the crossfader work on the twitch by chance
Kieron 8:22 PM - 29 December, 2011
I forgot to check. After the weekend I'll hook everything back up and try it. I presume it does as everything else works fine..
Funky ß 7:57 AM - 2 January, 2012
Both cross faders are working fine for me. No stability issues for a four hour set last night!
DJPrice_inMD 3:10 PM - 7 January, 2012
This is awesome. I am looking around for a used Twitch on the cheap so I can mess around with it and my NS7 together.
BleepCore 4:06 PM - 7 January, 2012
This also works with Twitch+V7, although I managed to crash it after scratching for awhile. I love the creative mixing the Twitch brings out of me, but I love scratching. Nice to have both at once, would be amazing if Rane worked on this as a feature.
BleepCore 4:12 PM - 7 January, 2012
*Serato, not Rane
Funky ß 2:42 AM - 8 January, 2012
Did you have effects on when it crashed?
Kieron 6:54 PM - 9 January, 2012
I actually managed to replicate this once. No idea why it happened and hasn't happened since. Way back when I first did the initial hookup. Strange glitch...
BleepCore 7:08 PM - 22 January, 2012
Hm...good question re:FX on or not. I don't remember. I should test this more, as the setup is so ideal. V7 for scratching + Twitch for mixing is really fun.
BleepCore 7:25 PM - 22 January, 2012
Trying to replicate the crash, none so far. One problem I'm noticing is that I lose audio for the left deck headphone cueing on the Twitch.
DJ B.A.M.N. 12:06 AM - 7 February, 2012
this is so great..... serato should really support this especially for V7 users. i would love to use twitch with a pair of v7's imagine the possibilites and just the fact that everthing would be internal and is already mapped....... Endless mixing, scratch, effects what a dream this would be. And also it would be great for the future video plugin release, v7 users could use twitch for crossfading and mixing videos...... just a thought.... SERATO i dnt want to ask too much but pleasssssseeeee
seratosnatch 2:30 PM - 7 February, 2012
Got it to work with the Xone DX too. Would be cool if Novation made a slicer pad box like Twitch but without audio and eq's, so it could be used as an additional controller and slicer mode works..Also could be cool to control the SP6.
Musically Minded 2:36 PM - 7 February, 2012
Quote:
Would be cool if Novation made a slicer pad box like Twitch but without audio and eq's, so it could be used as an additional controller and slicer mode works..Also could be cool to control the SP6.

+1,000,000 would love to see novation do this, basiclly and add-on itch controller!
Eric N 8:11 PM - 7 February, 2012
Oh damn, this is getting interesting! Need a V7 now to go with my VCI300. ILL.
Kidvirgo 7:40 AM - 8 February, 2012
so what will i be able to do besides the slicer funtion that i already can't do on the ns7?
DJ Urkel Dee 10:22 PM - 8 February, 2012
Quote:
this is so great..... serato should really support this especially for V7 users. i would love to use twitch with a pair of v7's imagine the possibilites and just the fact that everthing would be internal and is already mapped....... Endless mixing, scratch, effects what a dream this would be. And also it would be great for the future video plugin release, v7 users could use twitch for crossfading and mixing videos...... just a thought.... SERATO i dnt want to ask too much but pleasssssseeeee

+1
DJ Urkel Dee 10:31 PM - 8 February, 2012
What control over the V7's do you have besides platter control?
Attenergy 10:53 PM - 29 February, 2012
My Good People of the Forum. I have just purchased the Novation Twitch because of the information I have learned here and am eager to hook it up to my NS7 equipment. This is a great discovery and innovation at its best and I thank you for unearthing it. Can't see why Serato, Novation and Ableton can't seem to figure it out?!?! This is a "game changer". My question is, since the Twitch is compatible with the Ableton Live, would I be able to run all three?! (Twitch, Ableton, NS7)
Dj Yve 12:46 AM - 1 March, 2012
if you can get twitch and DDJ-S1 setup to enable the twitch use "SLIP" mode
ill buy an S1 ..... SLIP mode is superb and should be on the twitch.... 8 hot cues along with slip?PLEASE O_O....
patrickwdoyle 2:14 AM - 2 March, 2012
Numark and Allen and Heath have written drivers that are included with each official Itch release. I have erased them because I have a Twitch and Itch will install the new drivers anyway each time.

My guess is that you can't do this with a VCI 300 or a Pioneer DDJ s1 because, like the Twitch, they work directly with Itch and don't have a second driver. the VCI and DDJ use different jogwheel technology from Numark that doesn't require a driver.

The order of first powering up the Twitch and then powering up the NS7 makes sense if it is related to the drivers. It's really just evidence that Serato and Novation write very good code/firmware for Twitch and Numark also makes a good driver that does not conflict with Serato.
Dj Yve 2:43 AM - 2 March, 2012
Dj Yve 2:46 AM - 2 March, 2012
but the question is if slip modes works, i guess it is which is fenomenal
inkspot 11:39 AM - 15 March, 2012
So I've recently taken receipt of a Novation Twitch as a mobile option to my V7s (which I do use for mobile gigs but that's beside the point). Having seen a couple of videos demonstrating the Twitch working with one V7, an NS7 and a DDJ-S1, last night I tried it out as a mixer between the two V7s. The main benefits being ease of recording, and the use of the performance pads and effects fader on the Twitch. The good news is that it works. Good news for me and other V7 users and it also gives me the idea that since 2.0, Itch seems to have the capability to accept multiple controllers. Perhaps a sign of things to come. The one and only downside I can find is that when both V7s and the Twitch are connected, using the Twitch as the soundcard and mixer, the channel 1 headphone cue on the Twitch doesn't work. My assumption is that with two V7s (Ch1 master and Ch2 linked), the software is reading two soundcards and the V7 soundcard is overriding the Twitch in the Ch1 headphone cue. Apologies if this makes little sense but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts. This is obviously not officially supported by Serato or Novation but if we can get that headphone cue to work, two V7s and a Twitch in the middle is a great system I'm sure you'll agree. looking forward to your responses!
Dave The One 4:22 PM - 15 March, 2012
The slicer mode is sick; we need this function built into itch; I have an ns6 and would love to have this feature! The slice mode should be an extension of the sp6 sampler mode.
in fact the sp6 needs an overhaul, it's too limited in function right now.
Add a slice button to the sp6 or to each deck in itch the slice function would work in conjunction with sp6 or in auto loop mode.

At the very least support for a seperate slice controller.
This feature is an absolute necessity!
phatbob 10:23 PM - 15 March, 2012
Inkspot, glad you were able to be the guinea pig with V7s and Twitch! I've been hoping someone would try that...

I dream of having my Twitch and then one V7 for cutting, swapping it between controlling the two decks. Could you possibly give that a go please?

If it works I'm ordering a V7 quick before they totally disappear!
Kieron 9:11 PM - 22 March, 2012
Do we know if this is still working in the 2.2 beta?
Dave The One 4:50 AM - 25 March, 2012
Bought Twitch; sending it back. Had for 3 days, not impressed at all. The NS6 is a gem and after playing with both (yes I had them both working perfectly with Itch 2.1) together the Twitch felt more and more like a toy each day. Perhaps those with v7's will find it useful; Good Luck, I'm staying away from anything smaller than an NS6; Good Job Numark!
Medina 8:59 PM - 16 July, 2012
Ok so I know this is not a supported by serato, numark, or novation but I was hoping someonw on here could help me. I really want this to work for me but unfortunately it's not. I follow your powerup methods exactly as stated above and as soon as I plug in my V7 my twitch almost 100% freezes up (Headphone mic knob still works). So I was wondering if maybe it has something to do with the order I installed the drivers. I cleared my system of serato and also removed the drivers from all my controllers. I downloaded Itch 2.2 from the serato website and chose v7 as my controller. after installing I went to novations site and downloaded the latest drivers directly from novation. after I installed the novation drivers I startup my system, wait for crates to load and then plug in my twitch. the hardware is recognized and I have full control over itch with my twitch. now I power up my v7 and then plug in the usb . My v7 does have platter control but almost everything on my twitch is frozen. Does anyone have any ideas???? I want to try these to together so bad!
-Medina
Medina 9:02 PM - 16 July, 2012
oh and so you all know here is what I am using

Windows 7 64bit
Itch 2.2
1 Novation Twitch Controller
1 Numark V7

I am hoping to be able to use my twitch as my soundcard but I can hook up an external mixer to my V7 if I have to use the V7 as my sound card

-Medina
Medina 6:47 AM - 19 July, 2012
Any1 with any ideas? I just loaded a fresh copy of windows 7 ultimate on my laptop. I went with the 32-bit version this time. Hoping for better results, any tips please let me know. I'm real curious if it matters which controller i install 1st.
Thanks
-Medina
Nephew#1 4:17 PM - 19 July, 2012
Maybe you has to wait a couple of minutes before you starts playing with your twitch of NS7/V7.
Sometimes the slicer function is also freezing but after a couple of minutes it's playing correctly.
Medina 8:00 PM - 19 July, 2012
Thanks for the tips... im gonna give them a try in a few minutes. I am installing serato for the v7 through the serato download page and then i was gonna install the twitch drivers directly from the novation page, is that the order you setup the drivers?
Medina 8:21 AM - 20 July, 2012
Its all working together... Amazing 6 hour set with a decent amount of cuttin!!! THIS SHIT CRAY!!!!
Nephew#1 10:17 PM - 25 July, 2012
Is every is working fine now?
Medina 10:13 PM - 26 July, 2012
everything except getting the headphone to cue deck 1. everthing else seems to work. Oh and cant use efects from the v7, only the twitch effects control work. any ideas on the headphone issue?

my next goal is to get this to work with the v7 as the sound card so i can use an external mixer, i believe that might solve the headphone issue too.

any tips or ideas are more then welcome. Thanks for the help man!!!

-Medina
JohnJames 6:47 PM - 25 October, 2012
I'm using the twitch and the v7, having the same issue with deck 1 headphone... No cue, no volume in my headphone for deck 1... The fx work through the fx param rotary know and not the volume faders, all hot cues, auto loop and loop roll functions work, but not the slicer... I can only seem to get it working on the MacBook Pro.. Running itch 2.0, does not work at all on itch 2.2.2... Any suggestions?? Oh yea and the record function disappears when the v7 kicks in... I run audacity in the background for recording...
Nephew#1 2:20 PM - 26 October, 2012
If the slicer is not working perfect you have to wait a couple a minutes before you can go use it again.
JohnJames 7:24 PM - 26 October, 2012
Any tips on getting the headphones to work completely?
Nephew#1 10:18 AM - 27 October, 2012
i don't know.
I'am using a external mixer (ddm4000) thats enough for me
DJ Dawa 2:35 PM - 18 November, 2012
Watchwww.youtube.com

Have you guys seen this video??? it looks like he is using his v7 soundcard. The twitch is only plugged in USB...anybody know who this guy is? we gotta get him on this post
JohnJames 3:04 PM - 18 November, 2012
There's no audio in the video... I really can't tell what he's doing besides being wierd.
Nephew#1 4:17 PM - 18 November, 2012
@Dj Jawa

That guy is me
I use the V7 soundcard and delete the Twitch sounddrivers.
If you download the drivers for your Twitch,Novation give you 2 options.

1)Download Midi with sounddrivers
2)Download Midi without Sounddrivers.

You gotto have the second option
Nephew#1 3:35 PM - 4 May, 2013
I solve the problem.

Effects on the V7 can be use if you has connect everything exactly like i wrote before.
Than you push on the twitch the A or B knob .
Now you can see in Serato the A or B effect will lightup.
Now you can use the effects on the V7 and the Twitch .
JohnJames 4:43 AM - 4 July, 2013
Yea it works!! All of it, except the left deck headphone monitoring... I got the Ddj-Sx, still need turntables on the other 2 channels.. Cool video tho... www.TheBeatAuthority.com
Nephew#1 3:08 PM - 4 January, 2014
The track has been blocked by youtube, thats why there is no sound in the video