DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

New Macbooks are available (for DJ's...)

DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:04 AM - 2 November, 2007
I'm not sure if this was posted here today but Apple quietly updated the Macbook. It was also hidden in a PC thread on the Off Topic section.

Here's the info (via BriChi):

FYI: The macbook's just got some upgrades last night at the same price,:

White 13.3" the chipset is now Santa Rosa (4mb cache, 800mhz FSB instead of Ibms 2MB L2, 667MHz FSB)

$1099.00 2.0GHz/1GB RAM/80GB/Combo/Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM

$1299.00 2.2GHz/1GB RAM/120GB/SD-DL/Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM

I guess it is a Buy Now time since all the new ones ship with Leopard and it is stable with Serato.
djdragon 5:24 AM - 2 November, 2007
Wicked! Now that the CDN dollar is higher I'm gettin' a better deal! *lol*
wakka 6:17 AM - 2 November, 2007
Not so quiet anymore, this news was on most digged in 24 hours page

digg.com
DPR250R 1:29 PM - 2 November, 2007
Wow... nice spec's for the price.

Dual core processors I assume?
matt212 1:42 PM - 2 November, 2007
Okay, maybe I'm dumb but what's the advantage over the Macbooks that are out now?
young shiz 2:14 PM - 2 November, 2007
Theres a small processor bump, the improved Graphics Card, and now they can take 4gb of ram
Billy18bm 2:22 PM - 2 November, 2007
get a macbook pro and you wont ever have to worry
DeezNotes 2:31 PM - 2 November, 2007
I guess this was the rumor that's been going around for some time: forums.macrumors.com

I've been peeping this on the low. I secretly want a mac. That glowing apple keeps callin me.
wakka 3:08 PM - 2 November, 2007
What does the Macbook Pro have that the updated Macbooks don't have? It looks to me like 2"+ screen size/resolution and the exterior but for the price difference of ~$800.

Same with the 2.2Ghz Black Macbook and the 2.2Ghz White Macbook, $200 price difference for black.

Am I missing anything? Are there any differences beyond that?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:16 PM - 2 November, 2007
Quote:

Same with the 2.2Ghz Black Macbook and the 2.2Ghz White Macbook, $200 price difference for black.

Am I missing anything? Are there any differences beyond that?

Black one used to have a bigger Hard Drive and open ram slot (i think -1GB .vs 2x512). I haven't checked the new ones spec by spec yet.
BriChi 6:07 PM - 2 November, 2007
Quote:
Okay, maybe I'm dumb but what's the advantage over the Macbooks that are out now?

1. better video
2. Santa rosa core 2 duo chip
3. 866mhz front side bus
matt212 8:33 PM - 2 November, 2007
Okay I'm dumb. The only thing I understood was #1
famethrowa 8:41 PM - 2 November, 2007
The specs on these rock...I'm debating buying the low end model just to use as a serato terminal and using the fancy MBP I bought in June as my home machine, and (finally) retire my dual 1.42 G4 tower...though losing my dual monitors would suck.
BriChi 8:47 PM - 2 November, 2007
Quote:
Okay I'm dumb. The only thing I understood was #1

LOL,. the Santa Rosa is a new chip which is a lot quicker, runs on a 866mhz FSB and more efficient (Please correct me is I am wrong). Overall, The chip kicks ass and is a great improvement in the macbook line
wakka 9:19 PM - 2 November, 2007
Me no understando the difference in performance between a Macbook Pro and a Macbook now

Macbook
# [b]2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
# 4MB shared L2 cache running at full processor speed[/b]
# 800MHz frontside bus
# 1GB (two 512MB SO-DIMMs) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300); two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB

Macbook Pro
2.2GHz, 2.4GHz, or 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
BriChi 10:05 PM - 2 November, 2007
i guess the pro is a step because:

1. better build quality
2. 15"/17" screen
3. backlit keyboard
4. overall better keyboard (i hate the macbook keyboard but love the pro on)
5. I'm sure there is stuff i'm missing
sixxx 10:08 PM - 2 November, 2007
Am I the only that things that a bigger screen isn't better?

I'm so happy with the 12' iBook and man... the bigger the screen it gets the less it would fit where my 12 inch does... (no misquote) lol
Sheeds 10:11 PM - 2 November, 2007
shoot I don't think it even matters. the smaller the better it fits in yer bag, etc

but whats the deal on those rumored super slim macs?
wakka 11:09 PM - 2 November, 2007
Quote:
Am I the only that things that a bigger screen isn't better?

I'm so happy with the 12' iBook and man... the bigger the screen it gets the less it would fit where my 12 inch does... (no misquote) lol

Objection! 12"/13" is a little too small for me, and makes the track details in Serato seem a bit cramped. I think 17" is overkill, but found 15" to be just right.
dj disturbed 11:23 PM - 2 November, 2007
Quote:
i guess the pro is a step because:

1. better build quality
2. 15"/17" screen
3. backlit keyboard
4. overall better keyboard (i hate the macbook keyboard but love the pro on)
5. I'm sure there is stuff i'm missing

dont forget.. the macbooks use shared memory for the vid and the pro's use dedicated memory for the vid.. the macbook might have better vid prosessor right now.... but it still shared the memory with the system
cutrix 11:46 PM - 2 November, 2007
are you guys serious?

the macbook pro has a dedicated graphics card 8600 GT.

thats a beefy graphics card, great for games, video editing and im sure when video support drops for scratch live...
Dj_KaGeN 11:49 PM - 2 November, 2007
I'll take 2.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:00 AM - 3 November, 2007
Quote:
I'll take 2.

Lions win the Superbowl!
Hell freezes over!

Where U been dude - I missed u. (no homo).

I thought for sure U would have peeped the drama in the Dell review thread.

Good to have you back dissing Mac users. The world is right again.

: )
Dj_KaGeN 12:01 AM - 3 November, 2007
couldn't resist this one..
eder 12:58 AM - 3 November, 2007
i dunno, i'm kinda looking forward to my beefy video card.
cutrix 3:20 AM - 3 November, 2007
look forward to your beefy card.

those who dont have a macbook pro and talk shit about em..

are jelous.
wakka 3:42 AM - 3 November, 2007
Quote:

are jelous.
and $700 richer while owning an equally capable machine
cutrix 3:56 AM - 3 November, 2007
yaaahhh true
bourbonstmc 11:00 AM - 3 November, 2007
Quote:
Am I the only one that thinks bigger isn't better?

I'm so happy with my 2 inches... (no misquote) lol
eder 4:57 PM - 3 November, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

are jelous.

uh...not so much. On board graphics taps into the RAM and runs slower than a dedicated GPU.
wakka 5:30 PM - 3 November, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

are jelous.

uh...not so much. On board graphics taps into the RAM and runs slower than a dedicated GPU.

In basic terms, faster with video. Doesn't matter for those of us that think video DJing is lame or are more comfortable video editing on a desktop than a laptop.
eder 5:40 PM - 3 November, 2007
yo wakka can the new macbooks go up to 4gb ram?
wakka 5:51 PM - 3 November, 2007
No, but do you need 4 GB of RAM for anything? You can run Scratch Live, Ableton Live, Pro Tools, surf Firefox and what have you simultaneously and perfectly with 2GB of RAM.

I would only recommend Macbook Pros to well, pros in the video business. They are working with thousands of pixels of motion picture to get the finest resolution, and they might actually use the 4GB of temporary memory
wakka 5:57 PM - 3 November, 2007
Actually, you can put 4 GB RAM into the new Macbooks, but I don't think it's worth it for the reasons I stated above. I think the additional $150 from 1GB to 2GB RAM is worth it but not the $700
wakka 5:57 PM - 3 November, 2007
going from 2GB to 4
eder 6:01 PM - 3 November, 2007
lol you can order the 4gb for $150 from mac store sites.
dj disturbed 6:29 PM - 3 November, 2007
Quote:
No, but do you need 4 GB of RAM for anything? You can run Scratch Live, Ableton Live, Pro Tools, surf Firefox and what have you simultaneously and perfectly with 2GB of RAM.

I would only recommend Macbook Pros to well, pros in the video business. They are working with thousands of pixels of motion picture to get the finest resolution, and they might actually use the 4GB of temporary memory

its not that you CZN run things on lower ram.... I have found that the more ram you run the faster OVERALL the computer runs. I can runn all that stuff at 1gb ram... but the computer will run much faster with all that stuff running with more ram.. But you dont NEED that much.... but it DOES help to have that much... plus if you have your video card using that SAME ram like you do on the macbooks.. its helps out too
dj disturbed 6:31 PM - 3 November, 2007
i mean CAN not CZN
sixxx 6:46 PM - 3 November, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Bastard! You violated the misquote code. You gotta say something like...

You don't say or whatever... to give us a chance to fight. lol
bourbonstmc 6:50 PM - 3 November, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bastard! You violated the misquote code. You gotta say something like...

You don't say or whatever... to give us a chance to fight. lol

It only seems safe to say something like EWWWWWW or TMI. If you string any words together, somebody's gonna use 'em against you.
wakka 9:52 PM - 3 November, 2007
Quote:
lol you can order the 4gb for $150 from mac store sites.

that's a good idea
cutrix 9:57 PM - 3 November, 2007
yeah

aftermarket is the way to go, especially dealing with stupid mac prices.
Rhythmus Prime 10:50 PM - 3 November, 2007
i have a 17" macbook pro and i just got the new 13" macbook (black). the performance is almost the same. you're getting amazing value in a $1400 lappy. just need to add some RAM and i'm good. the quality of the keyboard is the only difference between the 2. oh and the screen size.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:29 PM - 3 November, 2007
Quote:
No, but do you need 4 GB of RAM for anything?

I never thought I would need more than 1GB (Yes GB) of drive space when I first started with Macs (upgraded from a 540MB drive). The first mac I bought brand new (non refurb/used) back in '98 or 99 had a 6 GB Hard Drive and I thought I would NEVER fill it.

Same with the 4GB Ram, it is not practical but nice to know you can do it if you ever get into a pissing match.

Plus with 4GB you will "never" see that spinning lollipop of death or "beachball of doom".
wakka 11:30 PM - 3 November, 2007
17"?!! That would be like a mobile desktop for me

search Macbook ram on youtube and you'll find a bunch of tutorials showing you how to replace/upgrade your RAM for a lot cheaper
lvmez 11:31 PM - 3 November, 2007
i went to the mac store earlier and was tempted to a black macbook with 4gb ram but the total was about $2350. too much money. thinking about the white one but i'm not feeling the color.
cappinkirk 11:59 PM - 3 November, 2007
i have a 12" powerbook 1.5ghz its the best...maxed out ram...but i'll get a small macbook pro (<15") if they ever make one
lvmez 12:18 AM - 4 November, 2007
12" coming out soon, i think.
sixxx 2:44 AM - 4 November, 2007
I hope so. I love my iBook.