Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Left jog wheel problem

Product
ITCH
Version
2.0.1_
Hardware
Numark NS6
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Sand 3:54 PM - 21 December, 2011
1) When having layers 1 and 3 in use if layer 1 is in jog mode if I touch the platter the track will instantly jump 1/2 a beat out of time however the pitch jog buttons work fine.
Going though previous problems on the Serato site I see I'm not the only one with this problem.
2) Layer 3 in scratch mode works for about 5 min's then fails by slipping back into pitch change mode with the scratch mode still indicated.
I calibrate ever time I power up the NS6 and have my wireless etc set to off.

Can someone please help as I'm losing faith in this product.
Numark, Support
jsanNUMARK 3:10 PM - 22 December, 2011
Hey Sand can you please try the beta that has been release for Itch users. The performance fixes may help.
serato.com

Then If your still having issues yplease call the Numark support center.

United States
Tel: 401.658.3131

Germany
Tel: +49 2154-81299-0
Support: +49 2154-81299-20

United Kingdom
Tel: 0044 (0) 1252 896000
Sand 7:03 PM - 23 December, 2011
Have installed the Beta and now the jumping track problem is no longer evident (success).
Scratch mode seems to be working fine but as it was a randomly appearing fault I will reserve my judgement after a couple of weeks of hard use.
Numark, Support
jsanNUMARK 1:47 PM - 30 December, 2011
Good to hear. Let me know what the future brings. Keep your eye out for an official Itch update.
Sand 6:53 PM - 9 January, 2012
After a good couple of weeks of no problems using the beta itch, the left hand deck when in scratch mode is again now slipping back into pitch jog mode.
Numark, Support
jsanNUMARK 2:20 PM - 12 January, 2012
Sand, can you grab the new official update ? Did you give us a call?
Sand 4:44 PM - 12 January, 2012
Unable to try this yet as NS6 has gone back to Numark today to be looked at, will see what happens upon its return.
Numark, Support
jsanNUMARK 4:39 PM - 16 January, 2012
Hope that settles things for you. Let me know.
Sand 12:01 PM - 27 March, 2012
Finally got NS6 back after nearly two months. Was told that they did witness the problem but the updated software "will sort this out" after one hour of playing the left jog wheel is slipping back into pitch bend mode from scratch mode again. Have noticed that playing with the USB cable connection on the NS6 end, can cure or cause this fault sometimes.
Numark, Support
jsanNUMARK 1:16 PM - 28 March, 2012
Are you using a Mac laptop? Are you using the two prong power cable to plug in?
Sand 2:05 PM - 28 March, 2012
Using Macbook pro and normal UK power cable with magnetic connection to macbook
Numark, Support
jsanNUMARK 8:56 PM - 28 March, 2012
Uk power cable with a ground? That is the important part. i've seen this when not using a grounded power cable.
Sand 6:42 AM - 29 March, 2012
Plug is the one supplied with the NS6 it has a none grounded earth point (plastic pin).
As this is a design problem who will supply the replacement power lead?
(Macbook has grounded power lead)
Numark, Support
jsanNUMARK 1:33 PM - 29 March, 2012
I was asking about the computer grounding. No worries about the NS6 power supply. If it is doing the same thing you sent it out for I would contact whoever was helping you with your RA and repair. Do you still have these contacts? If not you can call the number above and talk to our RA/warranty department.
LA Raves 9:52 PM - 31 March, 2012
This has only happened to me once but it was the most frustrating thing ever and gave me terrible fears of this possibly happening at an event in front of a crowd.

How can the type of plug for my computer be causing my ns6 controllers scratch function to remain in pitch mode with scratch mode is turned on or off?

I had to keep swithing decks, selecting this and that turning this on and off, switching pc to line and back and somehow it went back to normal but didnt understand what could have caused it nor do i know what could have fixed it.

If this is an issue you are guys are aware of (as you stated a possible solution already) can serato/numark test the problem to fnd a solution that may be fixed through a firmware update or something? Scratching is very important to my performances right now and would love to know it something I will not have to dread happening again.
Sand 11:55 AM - 1 April, 2012
I have an Idea why this can happen with the unearthed power lead, but could be completely wrong.
The power lead is next to the USB connection, all electrical currents create an electrical field perpendicular to its flow, possibly the two fields created by the USB and the power cable are interfering with each other hence causing a corrupted signal within the USB connection, this would explain why touching the USB connection can cause or solve this problem as are bodies are a natural earth with its own electrical field.

This problem is a real set killer as you lose confidence in the NS6, as scratching is a major part in my performances.
Maybe it's time to dust off the 1210's
LA Raves 11:01 PM - 1 April, 2012
Quote:
I have an Idea why this can happen with the unearthed power lead, but could be completely wrong.
The power lead is next to the USB connection, all electrical currents create an electrical field perpendicular to its flow, possibly the two fields created by the USB and the power cable are interfering with each other hence causing a corrupted signal within the USB connection, this would explain why touching the USB connection can cause or solve this problem as are bodies are a natural earth with its own electrical field.

This problem is a real set killer as you lose confidence in the NS6, as scratching is a major part in my performances.
Maybe it's time to dust off the 1210's

If your record is sratched you wont know til it skips a beat, probably live, so really using techniques id say im more likely to experience problems with tracks jumping off beat out of nowhere.

Or if someone just barely bumps the table, or the bass is way too heavy for the record and causes feedback (ive played many events with massive sound walls and dozens of bassbins).

Or if i don clean off the needle in time at some point the sound degrades and may start to slide around the track.

And i dont need an entire record to use the very very very few samples on it that are worth using (on average a dj tools record from person to person is only 5% usable, the rest is extra crap that some other dj would probably want to use but not you). I like being able to cut my own samples and have them as digital files and scratch those, a whole crate of samples and 5 sample tracks (since the 5 cue points on ns6).

I didnt purchase an ns6 so that i could be a vinyl dj, been there done that, my record collection sounds like shit compared to full quality digital music, my mp3s dont crackle, i could care less about that "warmth" vinyl has, wool blankets have warmth too but they are itchy.

Also, I want to mix 3 tracks as well as scratching, i wouldnt even be able to do that on technics unless i had 4 of them but then id have less time to do anything having to dig through a record box looking for the tracks i want to play as well as getting them cued up right, having to hold each record before i cue leaving one hand unusable other than cueing the next record...

To do what I want (use my controller and laptop o perform multi track and scratch mixes) using 4 technics and a 500 pounds worth of vinyl and a mixer, not gonna happen. I can carry my set up right now, i cant carry 4 turntables, a mixer and records all at once and the set up time would be much longer, its just not a solution for me.
Numark, Support
jsanNUMARK 1:44 PM - 2 April, 2012
Yeah, its good to have proper grounding on the computer to avoid any issues like that. If you don't have any luck with the power side of thing please give us a call for further assistance.

United States
Tel: 401.658.3131

Germany
Tel: +49 2154-81299-0
Support: +49 2154-81299-20

United Kingdom
Tel: 0044 (0) 1252 896000
2:00 PM, 16 Apr 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
Sand 1:54 PM - 7 May, 2012
I have now had my NS6 replaced with a brand new one, and I still have the same issue.
But if I touch the earth point on the back of the mixer the problem instantly goes away till I release my grip on the earth point.
Why is the NS6 not supplied with a grounded power supply?
How can I ground the NS6 to prevent this problem?
Numark, Support
jsanNUMARK 4:16 PM - 7 May, 2012
Hey Sand, Im sure what the issue it. If this is what you sent the controller out for in the first I would contact whomever was helping you with your warranty.
Sand 11:22 PM - 9 May, 2012
Getting in touch with the retailer is not the answer to my problem due to the fact that there are just sales people and know very little about Serato and the NS6, the only thing that there will do is return the NS6 to Numark for about 8 weeks and return it after not finding the fault.
You state in your earlier posts that you have seen this before, but you don't explain what is wrong very well due to poor grammar.
So please explain which cable has the grounding issue (laptop or NS6), and what can be done to stop this problem e.g ground the NS6.
I have noticed that the only time this problem occurs is when my Macbook Pro is charging.
Numark, Support
jsanNUMARK 1:02 PM - 10 May, 2012
I was talking about not using a grounded power supply for your computer. If you are using a grounded macbook supply and you are still having issues please call us for warranty assistance. If you are not under warranty you can tell me your location so I can direct you to the right place. You would only take it to your retailer if you were within their exchange policy. Sorry I do not have troubleshooting for this besides using a grounded power supply.
2:00 PM, 24 May 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.