Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Repair Corrupted MP4's

Dj Shamann 8:43 PM - 20 December, 2011
So I'm new to video-SL, I knew there was a problem with the earlier build of 2.3 and corrupting MP4's (yes I know we just got a new release) but I didn't realize the problem was in 2.2 as well (which I was still on) so 40 or so files were corrupted, actually 100+ were corrupted but I had a back up of most of my files, just these ones took a hit and I can't get them again from Xtendamix due to the limit.

Anyway, so I went back to 1.9 and was able to build overviews, weed out the bad files and put them in a folder, I can't even play these files in my media player anymore let alone get them going in SL so I was wondering if anybody knew any work arounds. If these were mp3's I'd have no problem but I can't get any of my DAW's to open the corrupted files and I tried Premier but no go on that either.

I tried a few search strings but didn't see much here, Google didn't help me very much, one program came with a secondary program that was a little shady for me, another did a basic search of my entire drive (Stellar Recovery) but didn't single out anything properly and asked me to pay before I knew whether the program would work properly.

So yeah, any ideas would be cool. With Christmas happening the pockets are a little toight so something inexpensive would be preferable, free even, but if I have to pay I will. (if it exceeds the monthly Xtendamix cost though it makes no sense for these files)
Res-Q 9:13 PM - 20 December, 2011
why dont you shoot XT a email and ask 'em to reset those downloads.
tomatoslice 9:25 PM - 20 December, 2011
I've been waiting for a post like this and going one never came.
I mentioned previously that corrupted files may lead to a monetary loss. No idea what serato can do about that. they should tho.

Email xtendamix.
Send Anthony the files that won't play maybe. it would be nice if they figured out a fix considering what caused it.

will you post the full list of your unplayable files, please?
tomatoslice 9:26 PM - 20 December, 2011
Quote:
I've been waiting for a post like this and going one never came. ...

Was hoping one never came
Dj Shamann 9:46 PM - 20 December, 2011
Yeah I figured with so many files, it was a bit much to contact XT. Also in case this happens again for whatever reason on a future Serato build it would be good to have a solution handy.

Here are the files from XT, I also have some corrupted from another service (it was actually way more from Club Killers but I was able to get some of those back)

Aaliyah Feat DMX - Come Back In One Piece (Clean) (Extended) [XT].mp4
Aaliyah Feat Timbaland - We Need A Resolution (Clean) (Extended) [XT] (2001).mp4
Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good (Clean) (Extended) [XT] (2006).mp4
Beenie Man Feat Mya - Girls Dem Sugar (Dirty) (Extended) [XT] (2000).mp4
Beenie Man Feat Wyclef Jean - Love Me Now (Clean) (Extended) [XT] (2000).mp4
Bobby MCFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy (Select Mix) (Clean) (Extended) [XT].mp4
Bone Crusher Feat Killer Mike & T.I. - Never Scared (Dirty) [XT] (2003).mp4
Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out For A Hero (Clean) (Extended) [XT].mp4
Busta Rhymes - Party Goin' On Over Here (Dirty) (Extended) [XT] (1998).mp4
Busta Rhymes - Tear Da Roof Off (1 Verse) (Dirty) (Extended) [XT] (1998).mp4
Cam'ron Feat Keema - What Means The World To You (Dirty) [XT] (2000).mp4
CeCe Peniston Feat Joyriders - Finally (Dirty) (Extended) [XT] (2011).mp4
C-Murder Feat Magic - Down For My Niggaz (Dirty) (Extended) [XT].mp4
Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) (Clean) [XT].mp4
Deadmau5 Feat Rob Swire - Ghosts 'N' Stuff (Clean) (Extended) [XT].mp4
Deniece Williams - Lets Hear It For The Boy (Clean) [XT] (1984).mp4
Depeche Mode - Just Can't Get Enough (Clean) (Extended) [XT].mp4
Diddy & Dirty Money Feat Rick Ross & T.I. - Hello Good Morning (Clean) (Extended) [XT].mp4
Doobie Brothers - What A Fool Believes (Clean) (Extended) [XT] (1979).mp4
Duece Poppi - My White Friends (Dirty) (Extended) [XT] (2009).mp4
Frankie Valli - Can't Take My Eyes Off You (Clean) [XT] (1967).mp4
Jaheim Feat Jadakiss - Ain't Leavin' Without You (Remix) (Clean) (Extended) [XT] (2010).mp4
Janet Jackson - What Have You Done For Me Lately (Clean) (Extended) [XT].mp4
Jermaine Stewart - We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off (Clean) (Extended) [XT].mp4
John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John - You're The One That I Want (Clean) [XT] (1978).mp4
Paul MCCartney Feat Michael Jackson - Say Say Say (Clean) (Extended) [XT].mp4
Swizz Beatz - Money In The Bank (Clean) (Extended) [XT] (2007).mp4
Tavares - Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel (Clean) [XT] (1976).mp4
The 4 Seasons - Oh What A Night (December 1963) (Clean) (Extended) [XT].mp4
The Mamas And The Papas - California Dreaming (Clean) [XT] (1965).mp4
Trina Feat Killer Mike - Look Back At Me (Dirty) [XT] (2008).mp4
Twista Feat Pharrell - Give It Up (Clean) (Extended) [XT] (2007).mp4
Wiz Khalifa Feat J.A.E. - Black And Yellow (Dirty) (Extended) [XT] (2010).mp4
Dj Shamann 10:12 PM - 20 December, 2011
Yeah I'm finding more, they weren't listed as corrupt but clearly somethings up, glitchy screen like a ruined VHS.

Sigh.
DJ Sound Technique 12:58 AM - 9 January, 2012
Yeah you are lucky, I ended up with over 900 that were messed up.....
djnak 3:34 AM - 9 January, 2012
Quote:
Yeah I figured with so many files, it was a bit much to contact XT. Also in case this happens again for whatever reason on a future Serato build it would be good to have a solution handy.

Pretty sure its not the original file itself it after the fact...all the files you list are not corrupt on my library all play fine, I think it might have something to do with changing metadata (after d/ling the vid and prior to the update) I have other files from xtenda that went corrupt some from smash some cc and lots from some less reputable services (some totally corrupt some playable just not in ssl so thise can probably be reencoded)
tomatoslice 3:44 AM - 9 January, 2012
On repairing them; What happens when you drop them into mpeg streamclip?
Could that help?
Dj Owe 5:14 PM - 10 January, 2012
i just re renderd mine. i ave no sound and audio diffrence whatsoever. just a pain in the butt re tagging alll the lil fockers
PopRoXxX 3:50 PM - 11 January, 2012
So far I've been able to recover ALL but 32 vid files from prob 900+ that have been "corrupted". Some get corrupted and give the corrupted sign on the left of the library, but some on the other hand, just crash SSL 2.3.3 when analyzing or just dragging the file to a virtual deck. I started using MPEG Streamclip for batching, but found Video Monkey was better for me for batching. That way when it's done I see the old file and then the new file above it in the finder with the new video reading "_1" after the file name. That way I delete the old file from the drive, then delete the "_1" at the end of the file name, go to SSL 2.3.3 and reanalyze the file (or files). And you don't need to re-add the files to your crates at all, because I never deleted them from the SSL library - just the finder. So It reads the new file as the old one ;)

But, I have to watch the analyzing process - which SUCKS!! Because if one crashes SSL 2.3.3 while analyzing, I have to see which one it is before the GUI goes away and brings up the crash report. If I don't, I won't know which one crashed and have to start all over again for whatever crate I was working on.

Out of 40 some crates ... I only have 5 left. Whew! But they are the biggest crates. Dammit!! LOL!

I think SSL 2.3.3 might be finding the teeny tiniest flaws in the file. Like if there was a split second interruption in WiFi signal while you were downloading the files - SSL is finding that tiny broken part and calling corrupt, rather than just piecing it together like all other programs. Corrupted mp3's work fine as always - but a corrupted video is like slashing your wrists if load one on a gig night. AHHHHH!

I've been noticing that a majority of my problem files are coming from specific download dates (as if signal interruption or whatever occured those days). So I'm going in those dated files and replacing all of them and it's making it a tad bit easier. But it still sucks until I'm done. Can't wait for it to be over and I can update safely from here on out :)
DJ Sound Technique 8:40 PM - 11 January, 2012
I did the same and spent about 5 days reencoding and tagging the problem files. So far 2.3.3 seems to be the best release since 1.9.2
Rebelguy 8:53 PM - 11 January, 2012
Quote:
But, I have to watch the analyzing process - which SUCKS!! Because if one crashes SSL 2.3.3 while analyzing, I have to see which one it is before the GUI goes away and brings up the crash report. If I don't, I won't know which one crashed and have to start all over again for whatever crate I was working on.

Why don't you just open the overview log and leave leave the overview log open while analyzing? That way you can see what track it crashed on.
Rebelguy 8:55 PM - 11 January, 2012
The new analyzer is very touchy. I was analyzing my videos overnight and when I came in the next morning the program had closed out because of a crash. I knew the group which caused it so I decided to analyze again and this time there was no crash. Very weird.
nik39 4:40 PM - 12 January, 2012
Quote:
Very weird.

+1

Same here :-(
marx 9:04 PM - 12 January, 2012
wish we knew exactly what causes this. I know it's not files and not the user. I guess the question is what is the order of events to make a file corrupt. sucks either way
tomatoslice 12:50 AM - 13 January, 2012
Quote:
wish we knew exactly what causes this. I know it's not files and not the user. I guess the question is what is the order of events to make a file corrupt. sucks either way

when i spoke with him it seemed like he could pinpoint what causes corruptions. it was a bit cryptic and indicated it had to do with a codec. but i don't remember the exact words.
i asked him if he would be willing to work with Smash and Xtenda in the future to avoid the issue.
so i would say "after namm, call them. i am fairly positive you can work out the issue with them."
tomatoslice 12:51 AM - 13 January, 2012
Quote:
when i spoke with him ...

"him" being Anthony
nik39 12:59 AM - 13 January, 2012
Anthony who? From Serato? The almighty Puma?
tomatoslice 1:21 AM - 13 January, 2012
AnthonyS of Serato
djcrap 7:06 PM - 15 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

when i spoke with him it seemed like he could pinpoint what causes corruptions. it was a bit cryptic and indicated it had to do with a codec. but i don't remember the exact words.
i asked him if he would be willing to work with Smash and Xtenda in the future to avoid the issue.
so i would say "after namm, call them. i am fairly positive you can work out the issue with them."

The worst offender of files showing up corrupt in scrachlive 2.3.3 is mp4s and mp3s from Lationos unidos record pool.

even mp3s do show up as corrupt but the funny thing is for mp3s my work around for them not to show up as corrupt in sl i have to first change them to wave files using platinum notes then change them back to mp3 with platinum notes.

this shit sucks!!!!!!! big time......serato needs to find another solution to this problem of files showing up corrupt after analyzing them.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:34 PM - 15 January, 2012
For mp3's read this, www.knappy.com its helped me with some of my mp3's, as far as videos still no way that I know of. Hope it helps....
tomatoslice 9:56 PM - 15 January, 2012
Quote:
this shit sucks!!!!!!! big time......serato needs to find another solution to this problem of files showing up corrupt after analyzing them.

they are working on it.
but we can help by posting or uploading examples of corrupted files.
so if you have any please, please start a help thread and send them what you can.
DJ Tecniq 11:17 AM - 18 January, 2012
Still...on 2.2.0 never a corrupt video file. Never upgraded just not worth it.
PopRoXxX 4:41 PM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Why don't you just open the overview log and leave leave the overview log open while analyzing? That way you can see what track it crashed on.

Yeah, I found that in another post with Marx suggestions. Thanks again Marx. But still working on it. UGH! Stupid. It passes through certain files fine. Then when I do another pass, those files that were fine are now corrupt. And it keeps doing this over and over and over and over and .... Been on it for 2+ weeks now.

Quote:
The new analyzer is very touchy. I was analyzing my videos overnight and when I came in the next morning the program had closed out because of a crash. I knew the group which caused it so I decided to analyze again and this time there was no crash. Very weird.

Exactly my point
DJPNUT 12:05 AM - 22 January, 2012
So the best thing to do now is to stay at 2.2 ??
Is Serato aware of the 2.3 Bug?
marx 12:39 AM - 22 January, 2012
If you use mix emergency , I would stick with 2.2.2 until further notice about compatibility with inklen and serato's future products are announced. If you don't use mix emergency when you have TIME make the jump as your going to have to deal with it sooner or later. Your library is only going to grow, so that's more converting and formatting left for later.

IMO after much testing 2.3.3 is stable. Now I only tested with Smash files so that helps I'm sure when compared to multiple sources with different codecs, meta data etc. so keep that in mind, most issues are from the files themselves. Not that Serato shouldn't be able to handle that but in their defense a mp4 is much more complex the a mp3.
PopRoXxX 2:37 AM - 23 January, 2012
I used SSL 2.3.3 with ME 1.7 (ALL overviews rebuilt) twice this weekend. Pretty damn smooth. I'm gonna be watching it closely the next couple of shows. I went ahead and made the jump. This included files from Smash Vidz, Crooklyn Clan, Your Remix, Strictly Hits, Xtenda Mix, 8th Wonder, DTV, Mix Mash, XMix Video, Promo Only & a bunch of my personal grabs from all over the last few years. I ran into about 800-900+ corrupted vids that I ended up re-encoding in MPEG Streamclip or Video Monkey. Only lost about 30 some videos completely (but majority can be redownloaded from pools). Not too shabby I guess.

- Thanks again Marx for the tip on the Overview Builder log. Saved me from sitting in front of my computer for all this analyzing process

*NOTE: I copied and saved the old "_Serato_" & "_Serato_Backup" folders, then renamed the old database and deleted the metadata folders (don't know why, I just did) before re-analyzing ALL my files with 2.3.3.
Culprit 2:52 AM - 23 January, 2012
not sure if this has been recommend, but try renaming your metadata folder to metadata_old and rebooting serato.
PopRoXxX 3:32 AM - 23 January, 2012
Nah. I was saying that's what I did (stuff above) and I'm working good.
CBSDJDAVE 7:16 PM - 25 March, 2012
I use MP3 Scan+Repair for Mac OS X release 1. works great for repairing mp3 tracks ,very seldom I find it cant repair a track. I was hopeing they would make a similar program like this that could do batch file repair for mp4 video tracks , but havent had any luck yet, had same result with stellar recovery Like DJ shamann above ,did not seem to be what I was looking for in repairing mp4 the stellar did not recognize my files, If any body comes across a program like MP3 SCAN + REPAIR FOR MP4 , lets us know.
djnak 8:43 AM - 12 March, 2014
way to dig up a 2 year old thread and spam it....
djnak 7:20 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
way to dig up a 2 year old thread and spam it....

ill quote myself again….
Ostalstewss 1:51 AM - 25 January, 2017
I think no free program can help you repair the corrupted MP4 properly. Actually I do think Stellar Video Repair is a nice option because it's powerful and it is worth the price.
Joshua Carl 4:13 PM - 25 January, 2017
Repackaging the MP4 container fixes it 99%
And it's free and easy.
sl1200 5:26 AM - 26 January, 2017
Quote:
Repackaging the MP4 container fixes it 99%
And it's free and easy.

What appilication can I use to "Repackaging the MP4 container"
Joshua Carl 6:11 AM - 26 January, 2017
Handbrake
Even does batches

There are instructions somewhere in here
(But it's not that hard)
djpuma_gemini 7:47 PM - 26 January, 2017
I usually run them through mpegstreamclip and do a save as mp4.
Works 99% of the time. you're not re-rendering so there won't be a generation loss with the encoded video.
Joshua Carl 9:09 AM - 27 January, 2017
^^^ actuall thats what app i meant
Grassoly 5:39 AM - 18 August, 2017
Here you can see some common causes or MP4 damage

1. MP4 video header is broken.

2. Effected by computer virus or Trojan.

3.Network interruption when downloading videos.

4. Power is cut off when playing videos.

5. Contents get lost and damaged in the course of compression.

6. Mandatorily changing video extension name.

7. Using unreliable third-party software to edit your video files.

8. Removing USB before transmission is completely finished.

You must firstly check how severely your MP4 file is broken before using any repair tools. There are different solution to different issues like a failed playback, a blurred screen, video fragmentation, audio and video out of sync and so on... However, if your MP4 video get damaged during downloading, it can not be fixed. For example, the MP4 file cannot be recognized at all.

You can use HD Video Converter Factory Pro (www.videoconverterfactory.com) to fix slightly damaged MP4 videos

It is simple within only 3 steps

Step 1

Add your video to the interface and then preset an output folder.

Step 2

Choose an output format like MP4 and AVI

Step 3 .

Begin Conversion Process.