DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What do you want for X-Mas? (DJ related)

DJ Tecniq 10:52 AM - 13 December, 2011
I figured this would be a good post that would last awhile. So I'm curious as to what you guys asked for x-mas or want. Of course I picked things that Involved DJ'ing. My limit is $200 from Moms and these are the things I want/desperately need.

2 x Shure M447's (Premounted) - www.pssl.com

Fools Gold Serato Time Code - www.pssl.com
DJ Tecniq 10:55 AM - 13 December, 2011
^ The cool thing is I know I'm getting these cause she ordered em today. Gotta love moms :)
benberry 11:10 AM - 13 December, 2011
New Ortofon DJ Concord's for me, could do with some new CV's as well though....
DJ Tecniq 11:14 AM - 13 December, 2011
Quote:
tru that. I originally have the Ortofon Elektro's and have had them for atleast almost 4 yrs now and they still work...However during heavy scratching they tend to skip a tad bit. I've had M447's before and have never had 1 skip. But no lie Ortofon's will last your a few yrs.
DJ Tecniq 11:19 AM - 13 December, 2011
Holy crap I just looked up the originally invoice when I ordered my Ortofon's and it was Nov 23rd 2005 LOL. Damn I can't believe they still are holding up. They came with two extra styli. I've had to replace 1 in all those yrs.
DJ Tecniq 12:11 PM - 13 December, 2011
Here's a good gift..I want all of em!!

Dear Santa....www.ebay.com
DJ GaFFle 12:31 PM - 13 December, 2011
I'm still wanting a Global Truss lighting rig. I've got the stands but can't push myself to spend the $500 for the trussing part.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:37 PM - 13 December, 2011
Some one to take the time to make all of the edits I have stored in my head.
djdalite 5:24 PM - 13 December, 2011
I want someone to make me a logo for Xmas, any takers? It's better to give than recieve
Taipanic 6:20 PM - 13 December, 2011
Quote:
I'm still wanting a Global Truss lighting rig. I've got the stands but can't push myself to spend the $500 for the trussing part.

Really? With what you have in your PA? Figured $500 would be pocket change for you...
I'm hoping Santa will put a Danley sub or two under my tree but it looks like I'll have to spring for those myself... Working on upgrading to a ZXa5/TH-118 setup myself
Blackdevil77 6:45 PM - 13 December, 2011
I got myself a rock n' roller cart and laptop case for christmas lol.
str8nger 7:48 PM - 13 December, 2011
I want Santa to give me a helper to help me carry my shit when I do gigs
Blackdevil77 8:16 PM - 13 December, 2011
Quote:

Are you by Nassau County, Long Island?
p.l.o.style 8:18 PM - 13 December, 2011
lol
str8nger 8:20 PM - 13 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Are you by Nassau County, Long Island?

I am in California the bay area 925
Blackdevil77 8:44 PM - 13 December, 2011
LMAO damn, you might have gotten your wish :(
jprime 8:48 PM - 13 December, 2011
Some half decent studio monitors. KRK Rokit8's would be fine.
deejayosa 9:00 PM - 13 December, 2011
Crane stand.
DJ GaFFle 9:30 PM - 13 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Really? With what you have in your PA? Figured $500 would be pocket change for you...
I'm hoping Santa will put a Danley sub or two under my tree but it looks like I'll have to spring for those myself... Working on upgrading to a ZXa5/TH-118 setup myself

It's just the thought of paying $500+ on a cumbersome chunk of metal that'll only be used to hold up some lights. At least with speakers, I can 'hear' my $500 at work. I'll get over it and buy them someday. Maybe I'll get my fiance to pitch in for it.
sacrilicious 10:24 PM - 13 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's just the thought of paying $500+ on a cumbersome chunk of metal that'll only be used to hold up some lights. At least with speakers, I can 'hear' my $500 at work. I'll get over it and buy them someday. Maybe I'll get my fiance to pitch in for it.

This positive--with that same logic, can't you 'see' your trusses at work when the lights are going?
sacrilicious 10:24 PM - 13 December, 2011
*think
str8nger 10:50 PM - 13 December, 2011
I think what i really want for Xmas is to devlop more skills!
Dj Bacik 1:07 AM - 14 December, 2011
I have to buy my own gift. So I am debating between some new speakers or a new ttm57sl.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:21 PM - 14 December, 2011
Moms came through with my early xmas present, the bezzle arsonal is now ableton equiped!
Chrisjin 5:36 PM - 14 December, 2011
Quote:

I would definitely love to have this wrapped in a big red bow and a couple pounds of that mountain skunk
DJ Dac 9:03 PM - 14 December, 2011
my mom got me the jdilla donut cv package,(im 31) AND Seat covers for my jeep, not djing related but its an other ridiculously expensive hobby... oh, and my wife and my gift to ourselves is an elliptical... apparently were getting fat...
Laz219 10:31 PM - 14 December, 2011
If anybody would buy it for me, it'd be an empath. I'll be buying that myself though,

I like Chad's idea though, I have so many ideas written on scraps of paper, in the car, on this desk, notes in my phone...maybe my christmas present to myself will be taking a couple of days out to get them done.
ToneNice 10:42 PM - 14 December, 2011
I could use some flight cases and a NYE gig but I've been bad so I'll probably get a jump drive loaded with 128 K files.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:46 PM - 14 December, 2011
Quote:
but I've been bad so I'll probably get a jump drive loaded with 128 K files.

lulz
Robert W 10:52 PM - 14 December, 2011
Quote:

Watch out! I had a pair of ortophons before and they screwed up both of my techs tone arm connectors. The same happened with many other djs that used concords.
A pair of shures with some stanton head shells (that have proper sized connectors on the colored wires) are enough.
Robert W 10:55 PM - 14 December, 2011
Quote:
I want someone to make me a logo for Xmas, any takers? It's better to give than recieve

Graphics artists here. I could whip something flashy up with AutoDesk Maya pretty quick.
O.B.1 3:22 AM - 15 December, 2011
Jehova's witnesses get no presents for x-mas...
(good thing I'm an atheist)

I would settle for a pair of whitey tighties (CV not underpants)
Dj.uno 9:40 AM - 15 December, 2011
Dear santa: a pioneer ddjS1 and a macbook pro17 .... ill get you some socks as a fair trade!
lol
djbanno 11:58 AM - 15 December, 2011
I'm a realist; me and Santa got this thing goin... we been lusting after an affordable Rane 3 (or 4) channel midi mixer (Empath SL?) but it seems unlikely (according to Santa).
I think a Denon DNX 1600 is commin my way.
Blackdevil77 2:04 PM - 15 December, 2011
I'd like a christmas party gig sometime within the next few weeks. I have 3 gigs in may right now, and I have to take 2 weeks off from my day job because I went over in hours and could use the money.
Dj.Mojo 3:31 PM - 15 December, 2011
I am getting me a Xone22 after I have sold my ttm57.
DJ Remy USA 5:19 PM - 15 December, 2011
Quote:

amen best gift ever
djdalite 6:03 PM - 15 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Graphics artists here. I could whip something flashy up with AutoDesk Maya pretty quick.

How friendly of a price? I really need something to start the new year with
Dj Ace 9:19 PM - 18 December, 2011
I want some JBL prx 612m for home studio and small gigs and a hoerboard Dj table
dj poisonous handz 9:20 PM - 18 December, 2011
k-sly in a fruit rollup thong
echa1945mf 11:13 PM - 18 December, 2011
Novation twitch delivered to my room by scarlet johannsen naked
Alex B. 11:22 PM - 18 December, 2011
Let's see, where do I start? Christmas is all year for me as I buy gear always, I'm a gear junkie! Would like to see a pair of JBL Prx 615s with covers as well as a great new set of tech 1200s limited editions, something rare to add to collection! Salute Spinnas!
DJ Remy USA 11:58 PM - 18 December, 2011
I just got a jet pack Dj bag from the wifey for Xmas I got open it early as she was tired of me carrying my stuff in my medic bag I got in the army. The bag is nice
O.B.1 5:48 AM - 19 December, 2011
^^^ Boba Fett would approve!
Certified Quality Entertainment 7:05 PM - 19 December, 2011
Just bought a pair of RCF Art 312s and SUB718as. So i guess that is christmas present to myself.
I woudl like a new pair of headphones though.
Blackdevil77 7:14 PM - 19 December, 2011
What I would honestly love right now more then ALMOST anything is a fix for the CDJ bugs in HID mode :D
DJ Tecniq 7:52 PM - 19 December, 2011
My presents arrived!! And the vinyls are in perfect shape (non warped) awesome
img43.imagevenue.com
DJ GaFFle 7:54 PM - 19 December, 2011
Quote:
Just bought a pair of RCF Art 312s and SUB718as. So i guess that is christmas present to myself.
I woudl like a new pair of headphones though.

I picked up those Art 312s too. I couldn't let that $759 a pair deal get away knowing these were over $1k each a few years ago. I'm gonna probably get that same sub or the 705AS and use this system for small gigs and rentals.
Wazo 8:01 PM - 19 December, 2011
Quote:
My presents arrived!! And the vinyls are in perfect shape (non warped) awesome
img43.imagevenue.com

i bought some as well, came last week. one was slightly warped, but i used it again yesterday and they were fine, i think the cold from delivery did something, but its good now.

got 2 sets of those needles as well. nice choice.

bought myself an A&H Xone 42 recently. love it.

dont want anything else this year. got myself ps3 move system and some games, so im good now.
Certified Quality Entertainment 8:25 PM - 19 December, 2011
How do you like the move?
HandsomeRobDJ 9:06 PM - 19 December, 2011
Jay Z wanted DOA, Death of Auto Tune. I want DOC, Death of the Chumps dragging the DJ game toward the grave.

Quote:
k-sly in a fruit rollup thong

Sheeeeeit. Come over to the Nati. Pretty little Asian girls are dime a dozen round here. At least they were not too long ago. Used to get them in pairs after gigs. No lie. Plus they weren't crappy DJ's so I didn't have to waste time trying to convince them I liked their mix. Just had to tell them I liked their broken-english and it was on like Donkey Kong.
Wazo 11:05 PM - 19 December, 2011
Quote:
How do you like the move?

yeah i like it lots.

i got hunting, house of the dead overkill and the shoot. all are good games and the accuracy is pretty tight. overall im pretty impressed.
Dj Knockout101 4:23 PM - 20 December, 2011
I want a Pioneer 909 with midi faders, too bad they don't make them.
DJ Jett 10:52 PM - 20 December, 2011
Hey Gang, any word on Serato bridging Virtual DJ App
echa1945mf 12:09 AM - 21 December, 2011
Quote:
Hey Gang, any word on Serato bridging Virtual DJ App

yes serato is working together with virtual DJ to brings you the new version of Pokemon T_T ....................................................
DjayRage 5:28 PM - 21 December, 2011
Santa never comes over (either my wife wasn't naughty enough for him or he's mad I ate his cookies) but I plan on copping that Bose L1 system. My heavy as* Matrix 2000 is overkill for most of my gigs and I'm tired of taking that beast everywhere.
HandsomeRobDJ 6:01 PM - 21 December, 2011
Quote:
Santa never comes over (either my wife wasn't naughty enough for him or he's mad I ate his cookies) but I plan on copping that Bose L1 system. My heavy as* Matrix 2000 is overkill for most of my gigs and I'm tired of taking that beast everywhere.

Do what you do, but... keep in mind that although Bose may suit YOUR needs for sound quality etc., they don't LOOK big and mean and may give your customers the wrong idea. I get a good portion of my gigs because I lug my 1200's around everywhere. I'm obviously not ACTUALLY playing vinyl. $#!t, half the time I'm running on internal mode and not using the 1200's at all. BUT, people are SOOOOO impressed that when they look at my system they see vinyl that it sells. Just trying to keep you from accidently spending a load of cash just to shoot yourself in the foot : )
DjayRage 6:04 PM - 21 December, 2011
I feel ya, every gig is different. I've been turning down gigs as of late (taking the time to do me and enjoy life a little more) but the gigs I'm taking are smaller more intimate (100-200 people) so this works for me.
sacrilicious 7:08 PM - 21 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Do what you do, but... keep in mind that although Bose may suit YOUR needs for sound quality etc., they don't LOOK big and mean and may give your customers the wrong idea. I get a good portion of my gigs because I lug my 1200's around everywhere. I'm obviously not ACTUALLY playing vinyl. $#!t, half the time I'm running on internal mode and not using the 1200's at all. BUT, people are SOOOOO impressed that when they look at my system they see vinyl that it sells. Just trying to keep you from accidently spending a load of cash just to shoot yourself in the foot : )

You play on int half of the time?
[O/][iii][O/] 7:16 PM - 21 December, 2011
A Vestax VCI-400esque controller that works with Itch and/or Scratch Live and has separate booth outputs. A proper rotary version of it too would be nice too since I've been a good boy this year.
HandsomeRobDJ 8:36 PM - 21 December, 2011
@sacrilicious

Quote:
You play on int half of the time?

Sure. A pair of 30 or 40 or even 50 something's getting married sure as hell don't want me scratching or doing anything but slam mixing and MC'ing at their reception. Not much need to put in the extra effort : /
OosoDJD 1:04 AM - 22 December, 2011
A next 1200
[O/][iii][O/] 1:12 AM - 22 December, 2011
Quote:
A next 1200

Amen. +∞
OosoDJD 1:14 AM - 22 December, 2011
i got one for $50 gettin the next one for $60 (winning) lol
ral 4:37 PM - 29 December, 2011
got a shure 450 in-ear

still gettin' used to it - need ttm58 split cue badly!!!!
ral 4:39 PM - 29 December, 2011
^ shure se425
DJ Remy USA 7:49 PM - 29 December, 2011
Quote:
got a shure 450 in-ear

still gettin' used to it - need ttm58 split cue badly!!!!

when you get used to using in ears it will change your DJ life. Traditonal DJ headphones just cant compare imo. The sound is so good in your ears its almost like you can feel the music better
DjayRage 2:29 PM - 14 February, 2012
Update: ordered the Bose L1 double bass system. Should be here this Friday. Might take them with me this weekend to my Wisconsin road trip hmmm
deezlee 1:59 AM - 10 May, 2012
did you get the bose?
how is it?
i've been thinking of getting one, but i'm wondering about the lack of a loud spot. it seems like i want a loud spot in order to make the dancefloor louder then the seating. also can you really use it as a monitor? i usually like my monitor to be less loud than the dancefloor.
thanks
DjayRage 1:05 PM - 10 May, 2012
Yeah I jumped on a sale and got them. I have used them a few time since then with no problems. I would not use it as a monitor. I have been using it in front of me to the side. As a monitor I have powered 15"s, a powered 10" and a powered 8" speaker, it all depends on the size of the venue/event.
I've never had a speaker fail at an event before but I have carried backups for years just in case. All it takes is one time to mess everything up.
As for your question about the loud spot on the dancefloor. Yes it is louder if you have this right by the dancefloor, but one of the selling points of the Bose is how far the sound carries THROUGHOUT the room. I like that the sound is uniform for the most part. I'm not turning it up super loud where people can't hear each other talking anyway.
deezlee 12:42 PM - 11 May, 2012
yeah i guess a monitor is good to have as a backup speaker. thanks.
Alex B. 6:35 PM - 11 November, 2012
I think this Christmas list should look like this for me:
Rane 68
CDJ 2000s x 2
Crane Pro Stand
Hope Wifey is monitoring the forum!
Salute!
DJ GaFFle 2:01 AM - 12 November, 2012
A Rolex Submariner... let's me see when it's time for last call while I'm spinning.
A sub cover... for my 3rd Danley TH-118.
A car cover... keeps me from scratching my ride as I transport DJ equipment past it in the garage.
A new all-in-one printer (HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus)... so a can print and fax my DJ contracts.

I guess the only real DJ-related thing is the sub cover. :-D
Taipanic 3:19 PM - 12 November, 2012
...Gaffle's 3rd Danley TH-118 - two's enough for any mere mortal DJ - don't be greedy ;-)
I'll spring for the cover...

Probably picking up a pair of EV ZXa5's for myself for Christmas. Might also get the new Pioneer controller and a Dragon FrontBoard DragLord with 43" LCD - I've been a very good boy this year.
djdalite 3:25 PM - 12 November, 2012
Damn danleys would be nice, as well as covers for my EV Elxs. New cartridges, more memory and external hard drive enclosures. A new pair of cans

A just a little 62
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:42 PM - 12 November, 2012
Just got a new mbp and apc 40. Ni maschine and akeyboard are on deck!
djvtyme85 4:41 PM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Watch out! I had a pair of ortophons before and they screwed up both of my techs tone arm connectors. The same happened with many other djs that used concords.
A pair of shures with some stanton head shells (that have proper sized connectors on the colored wires) are enough.

Been using them for 10+ years no issues with my tone arms. What are you guys using to tighten them a damn monkey wrench lol
lvmez 4:50 PM - 12 November, 2012
Christmas came early this year, just bought:

- Pioneer DDJ-SX
- Uplighting with Elation controller
- DJ Facade
DJDBAG 5:15 PM - 12 November, 2012
would love a djm 800
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:33 AM - 13 November, 2012
11 Crates of classic vinyl....
DJDBAG 1:15 AM - 13 November, 2012
a residency....
DJ Remy USA 2:16 AM - 13 November, 2012
I want a X1 and the latest traktor and another subwoofer
[O/][iii][O/] 2:21 AM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:
A Rolex Submariner... let's me see when it's time for last call while I'm spinning.

Rolex Sea-Dweller does this fairly well too. i802.photobucket.com
DJ GaFFle 11:25 AM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

You @$%&!%$#%!!!

I gotta show my wife this pic. :-)
I've got a stainless Datejust but these Submariner styles can't be beat. Classic...
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:23 PM - 13 November, 2012
Pair of Denon 3900s for me with a DJM 800 or Denon X1600 and Ill be a happy camper!
[O/][iii][O/] 4:14 PM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You @$%&!%$#%!!!

I've got a stainless Datejust but these Submariner styles can't be beat. Classic...

Here, if you have your heart set on a Submariner and not a Sea-Dweller, show her this instead. i802.photobucket.com

Both are timeless classics. Hopefully I'll be picking up the newly released Explorer II (black face) to add to the collection sometime within next year or so. Good luck! :-)
Dj Nyce 6:13 PM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:
I want a X1 and the latest traktor and another subwoofer

just copped the X1, an audio 6 and traktor 2.6. lawdhavmercy traktor is giving serato a run for their money. when they add video...cancel christmas.
Dj Nyce 6:17 PM - 13 November, 2012
xmas...let's see

-yorkville ls801p
-qsc kw15 or ev zxa5-60
-traktor kontrol F1
-RGBA slim pars
-Elation Design Spot Pro 250
-panerai pam 360 aka bbq special
DJ Tecniq 9:08 PM - 13 November, 2012
What I want for X-Mas? A new President :)
Taipanic 9:08 PM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:
xmas...let's see

-qsc kw15 or ev zxa5-60

Unless you are planning to run 4 ZXa5s (two clustered on each side) I would recommend going with the 90 degree version. They offer a wider coverage pattern that fits most DJ event configurations and they are powerful enough to project to the back of most medium-size venues.
Dj Nyce 9:55 PM - 13 November, 2012
if i go with the ev's 25% of the time it'll be 1 per side. the other 75% it'll be 2 per side. plan is to get 2 now, 2 later.
DJ GaFFle 1:22 AM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You @$%&!%$#%!!!

Here, if you have your heart set on a Submariner and not a Sea-Dweller, show her this instead. i802.photobucket.com

Both are timeless classics. Hopefully I'll be picking up the newly released Explorer II (black face) to add to the collection sometime within next year or so. Good luck! :-)

Nice dude... nice!
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:42 AM - 14 November, 2012
I took care of xmas for myself early this year

i615.photobucket.com
DJ Benny B NYC 2:48 PM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:
I took care of xmas for myself early this year

i615.photobucket.com

nice...
DJ Benny B NYC 2:48 PM - 14 November, 2012
id like a new dj gig
jprime 8:11 PM - 14 November, 2012
duh....babes in skimpy santa lingerie obv.
str8nger 6:07 AM - 8 December, 2012
I want some skills for Christmas
[O/][iii][O/] 4:33 PM - 8 December, 2012
Still hoping Santa talks to Serato about producing SDJ compatible controllers for Christmas that can be used with outboard mixers so I can perform venues the way Traktor users can with X1 and and F1s.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:56 PM - 8 December, 2012
im havin a great christmas so far, already got myself a new macbook pro, maschine, akai apc 40, akai mpk 49, apogee duet 2, new KRK moniters and a toooon of sample packs. :)
deezlee 8:57 PM - 8 December, 2012
Donuts 45 box
Mighty Dragon Sounds 2:21 AM - 9 December, 2012
Rane 62

another Rane 61

another Rane 57

another MacBook Pro 13 Retina with 512 SSD

another set of DJ Henray Custom 1210 M5Gs

CDJ 850k
Ollie 6:06 AM - 10 December, 2012
VCI-380 with the loop bug fix! A Macbook with a 1.5TB HDj and to be 100% better at Djing than i am now!
Certified Quality Entertainment 9:12 PM - 10 December, 2012
DDJ SX...i think?
Dj Bacik 6:10 PM - 11 December, 2012
2 Pioneer cdj850K's and an SL2. That would make life better.
DJ Tecniq 7:49 PM - 11 December, 2012
So far these are the items I'm getting for x-mas this yr.

www.pssl.com

www.pssl.com

www.pssl.com

The reason for the case and stylus. I just bent one of my shure needles... when i pack up my tables in my case i keep the cartridge on my tonearm. I didn't think the needle would get damaged because of the guard piece. But sure enough it happened when I wrapped the cord and rca's around the platter. def bent the hell out of it.....I'm lazy sometimes.
DJ Remy USA 2:19 PM - 22 December, 2012
I want skillz for Xmas man I already got gear but a few things I want are

rane 62
dicers that dont break every 7-8 months
a DJ website
a residency at a open format spot
the smoke colored Shibuya breaks
the blue colored Shibuya breaks
all the garbage rap music in my crates organized and tagged from years 2004-2012 (I skipped out on alot of that music)
BERTO 7:49 PM - 22 December, 2012
Rane 62 im set on getting one
Oscar Wild 11:42 PM - 22 December, 2012
15" MBP

I wish Santa was real, I been nice this year ha ha

nm
PorkyG 3:12 AM - 23 December, 2012
I've had the same dicers for over a year and a half, are you hitting yours with hammers?

As for my xmas list... Rane 68 but that's not happening for quite some time.
ced_so_thoed 3:16 AM - 23 December, 2012
ay
A powerful sub and another amp. A 62 and red and blue and green vinyl.
yep
echa1945mf 8:52 AM - 23 December, 2012
ddj sx brought to me by a naked sasha grey
Dj AR1 5:45 PM - 23 December, 2012
im getting my hdj 2000
North-Rider 10:59 PM - 23 December, 2012
A ddj-sx plus native support for my cdj2K nexus
Dj Ace 6:22 AM - 24 December, 2012
blizzard battery powered up-lights
ced_so_thoed 5:56 PM - 24 December, 2012
ay
a trailer and lights and trusses