Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

If you build it, they will come.

Soulsonica™ 6:31 PM - 28 October, 2007
Goal: Rane to respond to need for an industry standard, permanent install, state-of-the-art mixer/controll surface for the future of professional DJing.

Version 1: www.soulsonica.com

Version 2: www.soulsonica.com

They're rough concepts and I'm sure I'm missing some stuff, but you get the idea.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

C'mon, let's get this thing moving! ;-)
Konix 6:42 PM - 28 October, 2007
Dope concepts, but I don't think Rane would use a Penny & Giles crossfader ;)
Soulsonica™ 7:01 PM - 28 October, 2007
Fixed.
Soulsonica™ 10:00 PM - 28 October, 2007
Do you think it would make more sense to have only one set of RSSL control and have an A/B togle for which ever deck you are wanting to manipulate, or discreet/redundant controls as illustrated?
ekwipt 10:58 PM - 28 October, 2007
that's dope, do you envisage 4 deck serato?
Soulsonica™ 1:14 AM - 29 October, 2007
Quote:
that's dope, do you envisage 4 deck serato?

Persoanlly, I would only use up to three decks, but others may want four. Curious as to what the masses would want.
digital_steve 2:30 AM - 29 October, 2007
Cool idea
Looks expensive

Now get back to designing a dedicated SSL controller ;)
Soulsonica™ 1:24 PM - 29 October, 2007
Quote:
Cool idea
Looks expensive

What do you think venues who are serious about their industry would be willing to pay for such a device? I would probably use either the Rane MP2016a/XP2016a or the Allen & Heath XONE:3D (or XONE:V6) as a referrence mark and work from there.

Quote:
Now get back to designing a dedicated SSL controller ;)

I would love to, but I still can't get Rane to respond to the first thread that talked about it ages ago. www.scratchlive.net
KitK 4:05 PM - 29 October, 2007
4 Ch. Serato would be great... hell even a 3.
No room for the Cycloops on the SL.
DJ Smooth B. 2:08 AM - 30 October, 2007
even with a two channel serato in this 4 channel mixer would be dope for clubs. Looks good, clean fader area, easy ssl control, you only missed a "split cue button" :-) and the joysticks from the 57SL for some reasons and a "Group" button
DJ Smooth B. 2:11 AM - 30 October, 2007
oh and the skulls for the kill-LEDs :-)
digital_steve 3:01 AM - 30 October, 2007
Sorry soulsonica... i misread mate. I now realise it's an install desk
Nice one too ;) Verson 2 is mad
AKIEM 3:51 AM - 30 October, 2007
nice work
not my type, but...
Soulsonica™ 1:20 PM - 30 October, 2007
Quote:
...you only missed a "split cue button" :-) and the joysticks from the 57SL for some reasons and a "Group" button

Thanks for the eagle eye. I will add the split cue and re-upload.

Regarding the joysticks, I thought the UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT buttons would replace it and provide a cleaner profile/more durable solution for a permanent install mixer where lots of different DJs would be using it. I've never used a TTM 57SL so I admit I'm not totally knowledgable about how the joysticks function, but I figured since it is more of a personal mixer the chances of greater care taken on the joysticks would be greater. Please provide more feedbacl on this as I'd like to edit the drawings if it makes since.

Also, I thought "FIELD" might be "GROUP". Again, I've never used a 57, so I may have butchered this part. The "FIELD" button was intended to bounce you through the ARTIST/SONG/ALBUM/COMMENT/etc., etc., fields. Is this thinking the same as "GROUP" on the 57?

Thanks
Soulsonica™ 1:23 PM - 30 October, 2007
Quote:
oh and the skulls for the kill-LEDs :-)

haha. The skulls icons were intentionally omitted. This concept is intended for professional applications for use by professional DJs - not some kid in their basement. I still can't believe Rane chose to use those silly skulls on their 57. Makes it look like a childish toy IMO.
Soulsonica™ 1:29 PM - 30 October, 2007
Quote:

Yep, it's exactly to scale, based on 19" rack mount and it's the same height as an Empath.

I agree. V2 is sick. Personally, I have no use for a crossfader, so either version 2 or a combo of version 1 and version 2 would be my choice. Linear UP/DOWN faders combined with the Rotary Isolator Crossover section. Heaven! That's why I had drawn those sections as user interchangable modules for the ultimate in flexibilty.
KitK 2:15 AM - 31 October, 2007
Nice work on the designs...

Too bad it would cost the mortgage to buy.
Maskrider 7:48 AM - 31 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, it's exactly to scale, based on 19" rack mount and it's the same height as an Empath.

I agree. V2 is sick. Personally, I have no use for a crossfader, so either version 2 or a combo of version 1 and version 2 would be my choice. Linear UP/DOWN faders combined with the Rotary Isolator Crossover section. Heaven! That's why I had drawn those sections as user interchangable modules for the ultimate in flexibilty.

Man you really got alot of time on your hands.

Nice concept though.
Soulsonica™ 1:06 PM - 31 October, 2007
haha. Thanks. No, not alot of time, just a lot of desire to see RSSL and professional DJing taken to the next level ;-)
KitK 1:49 PM - 31 October, 2007
Good to see dedication!
cMo 7:28 PM - 31 October, 2007
Dude what is mixing without jog wheels or some sort of platter-like-vinyl-control??

Nothing like cueing by hand and throwing in some scratches / juggles.
Soulsonica™ 7:52 PM - 31 October, 2007
cMo, this concept was not intended to control the manual act of manipulating tracks, rather it is an advanced multi-channel mixer (two cnfigurations depending on your style of DJing) that has SL built in and allows the user to navigate the SL environment with touching the computer. You would still use turntables, CDJs, or some sort of future MIDI active platter device to physically/manually control the track's beatmatching, scratching, etc..

Jog wheels are toys, so I offered this concept scratchlive.net to properly handle that function.

Think of this as a super advanced TTM 57SL designed for permanent venue installs where flexibility and standardization is needed/desired.
Jim Ellis 5:24 AM - 2 November, 2007
Version 2 just made me wet my pants
djkevinz 4:55 PM - 3 November, 2007
Quote:

Yea as someone else put it i just 'nutted in my shorts a little' :-)

I actually had envisioned the three-band crossfader years ago, but thought that no one would ever do three sliders. Three knobs, however, interesting. Although it would be difficult to manipulate three knobs at once, so why not three sliders that you could grab all at once and use like a regular fader?
djkevinz 5:02 PM - 3 November, 2007
Also I think you need more input routing flexibility. Not a full matrix like the Denon, but the ability to assign the Serato feeds to any of the channels. So the input switches would probably have to be knobs with (1a, 1b, SSL1, SSL2) or something - and when you selected SL1 or SL1, it would route that analog input to the Serato as the control device. Actually then you would need a separate line/phono switch for each channel (could be a toggle switch) and then one below for Serato SL1/off/SL2 which could be a 3-way toggle switch.

How many phono preamps you thinking here?
djkevinz 5:06 PM - 3 November, 2007
You also wouldn't need two sets of arrow keys and 'crates tracks fields' buttons, they would do the same thing. This could be a central navigation section. The load buttons should be just above and to the left and right of the arrow keys, for fast previewing.

I like the other deck controls etc being on opposite sides of the mixer though.
djkevinz 5:08 PM - 3 November, 2007
Can you and I get a job at Rane in their product development department? :-)
djkevinz 5:32 PM - 3 November, 2007
Putting the meters on the removable fader board would increase expense and design complexity. Do they have to be there?
J.J. 7:09 AM - 4 November, 2007
I would buy a 3 channel Serato mixer like the 57. The upfaders must have an optional rotary kit. It must have MIDI and do all the new stuff like what the Korg Zero4 is capable of.

Where is the joystick and EFX section?
Soulsonica™ 2:44 PM - 6 November, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Yea as someone else put it i just 'nutted in my shorts a little' :-)

I actually had envisioned the three-band crossfader years ago, but thought that no one would ever do three sliders. Three knobs, however, interesting. Although it would be difficult to manipulate three knobs at once, so why not three sliders that you could grab all at once and use like a regular fader?

That's actually not a 3-Band crossfader, it's a 3-Band crossover/isolator. Big difference. Think www.electronique-spectacle.com and www.allen-heath.com .If you've never played on a proper system using these types of tools, oh man, what a treat. Takes live mixing to an all new level. That's what I was wanting to see offered in a Rane mixer.

Regarding a 3-Band crossfader, that's been done years ago by RedSound with their InFader mixer --> i2.photobucket.com . It was a fairly decent mid-level mixer, and I had one for a while, but honestly didn't really care for the 3-Band crossfader and wound up never using that function. Kinda gimmicky IMO. Looked interesting on paper, but in real world application it was distracting.
Soulsonica™ 2:50 PM - 6 November, 2007
Quote:
How many phono preamps you thinking here?

Channels 1, 2, 3, and 4 all have phono/line level selectors on the back of the chassis, selectable via a switch on the back right next to the input jacks, just like Rane MP2016a. So you basically have 8 primary sources to choose from (1A/1B, 2A/2B, 3A/3B, 4A/4B, plus two more line level inputs via the Auxiliary A/B (one front (A), one rear (B)).
Soulsonica™ 2:54 PM - 6 November, 2007
Quote:
Putting the meters on the removable fader board would increase expense and design complexity. Do they have to be there?

I really think it needs separate input level meters for each primary channel so you can see at a glance what all your inputs are gained at, but your probably right that if the fader board is removable, then they should be moved elswhere to keep expense down. Not sure. I'll re-draw it with them up above in their respective sections later.

That's one complaint I have about the Empath in that you need to hit a button in order to see your input gain and you can only view one channel at a time.
Soulsonica™ 2:55 PM - 6 November, 2007
Quote:
You also wouldn't need two sets of arrow keys and 'crates tracks fields' buttons, they would do the same thing. This could be a central navigation section. The load buttons should be just above and to the left and right of the arrow keys, for fast previewing.

I like the other deck controls etc being on opposite sides of the mixer though.

I was asking about that in a post way above. Gonna re-draw that as well.
Soulsonica™ 2:56 PM - 6 November, 2007
Quote:
Where is the joystick and EFX section?

The UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT buttons were supposed to replace the joysticks.
djkevinz 3:41 AM - 7 November, 2007
Quote:
That's actually not a 3-Band crossfader, it's a 3-Band crossover/isolator. Big difference.
Aaaahh. I have a A&H 464 so I get the sweepable filter idea of the VF1, but never thought of a master isolator (as a creative effect, not corrective EQ that is).

Quote:
Regarding a 3-Band crossfader, that's been done years ago by RedSound with their InFader mixer
how did I miss that? I would love to dink around with one. Although with the high-pass sweepable on my A&H I really have what I need I guess.

How were you envisioning the routing to/from Serato?
Soulsonica™ 4:49 PM - 7 November, 2007
Quote:

Since this concept would be for a permanent club install, SL would be built into the mixer, and I felt the USB connection, because of its fragility, should be on the back so it wouldn't be damaged (drinks, ashes, god knows what else, etc.). This would allow the venue to connnect a cable to the mixer's chassis USB connection and run it to a replaceable port that could be mounted wherever the laptop stand platform is in the booth. Just like the TTM 57SL.
cappinkirk 5:38 PM - 7 November, 2007
what about multiple USB ports? front, back & top? one could be active at a time or they could allow for 2 SSL's in one mixer for switching
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:38 PM - 7 November, 2007
nice
SupaSandeep 10:07 PM - 7 November, 2007
Quote:
Dope concepts, but I don't think Rane would use a Penny & Giles crossfader ;)

They have one on my Empath
djkevinz 1:31 AM - 8 November, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Since this concept would be for a permanent club install, SL would be built into the mixer, and I felt the USB connection, because of its fragility, should be on the back so it wouldn't be damaged (drinks, ashes, god knows what else, etc.). This would allow the venue to connnect a cable to the mixer's chassis USB connection and run it to a replaceable port that could be mounted wherever the laptop stand platform is in the booth. Just like the TTM 57SL.

No, I get that. What I mean is that how does the user select which 2 turntable or CDs (of the 4) get routed to Serato, and how the signal from Serato gets routed back to the channel fader? There must be some kind of selector buttons or knobs, that would also prevent you from selecting two inputs being routed to the same channel in Serato as a control signal. And I assume you must be using the phono preamps in the mixer, so Serato must be set to line.