Off-topic Discussion

That which does not fit elsewhere. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Selling On Ebay

ontime1269 12:51 AM - 24 October, 2007
I've been liquidating various stuff on ebay. Some of the stuff I set a reserve price on. I always get the email asking what my reserve price is. I don't really like telling it. To me it gives that person an unfair advantage over everyone else and I could end up not selling for a good price. I've thought about just putting the reserve price in the item description for everyone to know.

To anyone else that sells on ebay, how do you or how would you approach the same situation?
FunkyRob 1:33 AM - 24 October, 2007
I've sold a bunch of stuff, never put a reserve price. I'm cheap and it costs extra.

When you put a reserve price, you'll get tons of emails from people asking "what's your reserve price?"

If you truly have a minimum price you're willing to sell for, it's best to start at that price. (or just below). As long as you're not being rediculous, people will bid.

If you throw in free ground shipping to US, that always helps gain interest.
The E Head 8:21 AM - 24 October, 2007
what i always do when selling on ebay use my account to log on and post the stuff from my desktop pc, then i will use my laptop log into anonther account whilst on my neighbours wireless connection there i would set my max bid to the very minimum i want for the goods:)

Obviously this is against there rules but thats why i use a different computer and different connection, i have done this many times. I think twice the goods never sold (well i won them) although you still get charged the fees after a few days report an item unpaid and the fees are credited to your account
djbriguy 8:59 PM - 25 October, 2007
Don't put a reserve price.
start bidding at the minmum price you want to sell for. But it now for max. duh.
DJBlisk 9:04 PM - 25 October, 2007
i always get the most money when i start bids at .01
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:49 AM - 26 October, 2007
Quote:
. I don't really like telling it. To me it gives that person an unfair advantage over everyone else and I could end up not selling for a good price. I've thought about just putting the reserve price in the item description for everyone to know.

To anyone else that sells on ebay, how do you or how would you approach the same situation?

First let me ask why are you are doing the reserve:

1. To make sure you get what the item is worth or not sell the item too low?
2. In hopes of getting TOP DOLLAR for the item?

If it is reason 1, that is okay - but letting people know the reserve is also OK. MANY, MANY buyers are turned off by a Reserve. If 10 people want your item, only 2 or 3 will bid because of the reserve. If you let them know the reserve in the auction and it is fair, you may get a few more bidders.

If you are trying to get Top dollar, there are better ways to do it. If the item is not unique and has a fair market value like a 1200,

- start low and suck people in, if you have 30 people bidding because it started at .99¢ towards the end, when it is $390, many will go $425 because they have came this far. In a last minute bidding war, it may go over $500 or more because people hate to lose (it's only $10 more mentality).

- Use lots of pictures - all angles, cool shots, show the flaws if any (honesty builds security - so they don't think it is a piece of crap, he showed the scratches and wear so it must be perfect otherwise).

- Use a good description but not copy and paste from another website- mention flaws (honesty again) . If you can do HTML that is a plus.

- Answer questions and post them in the Ask Seller part.

I am also a big fan of the No Reserve, it sucks. Do a search of completed items and if you follow my tips above, the item should be in the Top 50% of the selling value.

When I sold my old Mac laptops after I bought new ones, I would always get 75-85% or more of what I paid for them - after a year or two of use (last iBook paid $700 sold for $650 a a year later).