Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

VSL 50% Off?

DJ Deano 6:13 PM - 1 December, 2011
Why 50% off VSL? is a new version due? Will the new version have to be paid for if you take this offer up?

Or is this peer pressure due to Mix Emergency?
DJ Dynamite - NJ 7:03 PM - 1 December, 2011
I'm wondering too...
DJ Quartz 7:24 PM - 1 December, 2011
Maybe they're getting ready to do a big upgrade and want to get more users to pay for the dev time.
tomatoslice 7:36 PM - 1 December, 2011
maybe it's just a sale...
like any other sale, to generate funds.

tell you what i will do. i will call and ask them later.
hear that Anthony and Sam, start working on your official answer.
DJ Quartz 7:42 PM - 1 December, 2011
True, especially with xmas coming and all the marketing craze going on right now.

Wish I paid this price.
Henry GQ 8:04 PM - 1 December, 2011
yeah.. i think everyone should get 80 bux back.
tomatoslice 8:19 PM - 1 December, 2011
when i bought vsl i spent $200...supposedly. i really don't know what i paid in the end. it could have been more, it could have been less.
due to a monetary conversion or some other bank problem i paid less at first. honesty being the best policy i told serato and they adjusted for it.
the whole thing was a big fiasco.

i think there were a few of us that had the same problem but because of the mix up i got a free VSL t-shirt and a bunch of stickers.
djnak 8:35 PM - 1 December, 2011
wow they dropped the price... you know what that means...
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:37 PM - 1 December, 2011
hhmm i wonder if they will charge for the update when it ever comes out and will it be as good as ME? there the big questions!
DJ Deano 9:27 PM - 1 December, 2011
I dont, have VSL, but i will go for it at this price.

But like NI do with traktor, normally they put stuff on sale to get rid of stocks, then release a new product.

I dont want to pay for this, then find out that a new version is out and then have to fork out more money again.

Any heads up serato?
Code:E 9:33 PM - 1 December, 2011
Serato has never charged for updates in the past. and i would highly doubt that they would start now.. I would guess this is what DJ Quartz said. They need some extra funds to justify spending the money on development for the new update.
tomatoslice 9:39 PM - 1 December, 2011
aah crap. i forgot to ask if a new version will have to be paid for.
from what i recall people like Sam mentioning on the phone was that all updates to vsl are will be free.
so i would in no way worry about paying for a new update.
Millz 9:45 PM - 1 December, 2011
Henry, you should have to pay 80$ more for slinging hard drives.
Culprit 10:00 PM - 1 December, 2011
Could be a last ditch effort to see if people are really interested in mixing video live. Just a theory, if the sales dont budge much from this offer, they could discontinue it, possibly work out a deal with ME? but then what about the pc users..
DJ Deano 10:12 PM - 1 December, 2011
To be fair do you think $199 for VSL, $179 for ME is worth it?

Im not up with the $, but i think $99 would be a fair price to pay all around.

I know its no comparison with the likes of Virtual DJ, but they have been doing video for a while, and you can use more formats with it.
DJ Quartz 10:13 PM - 1 December, 2011
^ I don't think they would axe the PC users like that.

SSL has never charged for updates, so the VSL update would be free. Just like SSL 1.x -> 2.x

However, I agree with your theory on drumming up new users to see what the demand is.

This is still a business and they have to warrant if there is demand for the product to warrant the expense of further development.

My $0.02, allow me to do what I can do in SSL + VSL with Itch and just make operation more intuitive and off we go.
tomatoslice 10:25 PM - 1 December, 2011
i only spoke with AnthonyS. he is development and not marketing. so he had no real answers as to why.
i am suppose to call back on monday to talk to marketing.

you guys can make up whatever reasons you want for why there's a sale. so dredge the rumor lake all you want but the simplest answer is the most correct.
it's just a sale. what do sales do? generate funds.
sure some sales are for dumping old stock but that's not what this is since serato has no old stock.

why does cclan have 50% off sales?
DJ Quartz 10:27 PM - 1 December, 2011
^ Precisely, generate sales. We just won't say for what.
djpuma_gemini 10:35 PM - 1 December, 2011
Be glad it's on sale.

VSL is back
DJ Soup 11:06 PM - 1 December, 2011
Quote:
Be glad it's on sale.

VSL is back

+1
serkan 11:22 PM - 1 December, 2011
$99 for VSL is really cool but is there any official word if that plug-in will work with ITCH?
I know there isn't any video on ITCH yet but I would like to know if it will get it's own plug-in or if we will be able to use the one already exists.

(I posted this in another place of this forums before but it's in "DJing Discussion" but I think it belongs here instead)
DJ Deano 11:33 PM - 1 December, 2011
Serkan, i dont think VSL, will ever be a plugin for Itch.
djpuma_gemini 11:44 PM - 1 December, 2011
VSL plugin for itch here.

www.serato.com
tomatoslice 11:48 PM - 1 December, 2011
Quote:
Serkan, i dont think VSL, will ever be a plugin for Itch.

agreed. the name vsl alone is an indicator of that.
DJ Quartz 12:20 AM - 2 December, 2011
We'll see...
DJ Deano 12:23 AM - 2 December, 2011
They maybe come up with a version for Itch.
FunkyRob 5:37 AM - 2 December, 2011
I just got one.

I fell victim to an ebay seller a while back and got a serial # that I couldn't register.

Now I'm straight.
DJ Quartz 7:48 AM - 2 December, 2011
Maybe it will get rebranded to Serato Video Live which will be an Itch / SSL compatible plug-in to replace the VSL 1.x platform.
tomatoslice 3:15 PM - 2 December, 2011
Quote:
I just got one.

I fell victim to an ebay seller a while back and got a serial # that I couldn't register.

Now I'm straight.

ah geez, FunkyRob. that sucks.

we've ripped into so many guys that post here trying to sell vsl on ebay.
probably could have told you not to do and save you money.
i hope you disputed it.

Quote:
Maybe it will get rebranded to Serato Video Live which will be an Itch / SSL compatible plug-in to replace the VSL 1.x platform.

NO, that will NOT happen.

1) video scratch live is for serato scratch live...it's right in the name.
2) even if they wanted to "rebrand" and make it work with itch they can't. itch and ssl are 2 totally and completely different types of programs. 2 totally different codes. they can not just simply make vsl compatible with itch.
that's making a whale mate with a mosquito. it don't fit.
they can not just rewrite some codes around and have it work with vsl and itch. video for itch has to be a whole new program.
3) even if they decided to double up the code and force some fubar compatibility with itch and ssl it would be easier to just build a video program from the bottom up. and i can't imagine the tech support nightmare on that.
4) from a business stand point 2 programs is better than one. 2 different revenues. if they could make vsl work for itch, which they can't, i'd seriously question their business sense if they did. also, it does not follow their current model. look at how many programs they have. almost all of them have features that probably could have been forced into one program but instead they made several products.
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:06 PM - 2 December, 2011
Fuck it i got it just incase they might make an update lol at that price might aswell lol.
Millz 4:17 PM - 2 December, 2011
Tomato,
Im going to have to disagree with you about VSL being rebranded.

Thats all I wanna say for now :)

Do be do be do....
DJ Quartz 4:17 PM - 2 December, 2011
.....video for itch has to be a whole new program.

Hence my statement they might have to rebrand the plug-in and MAKE it cross compatible.

Not to say they will have one video plug-in that could snap right into both platforms but they might release two different versions of the plug-in having the same name.

You would purchase the same plug-in but there would be different downloads. Video Live for Scratch Live and Video Live for Itch.

No different than having a download for Windows and and a download for OSX.

Everybody screaming about video not happening on Itch is insane. There are all these companies starting to make controllers to support Itch (SSL's little cousin really).

Do you think that all those users that bought these controllers are going to ditch them to go buy turntables and a SLx package or 57SL to get video??

That is crazy talk. Serato already knew there is a whole market for video on the Itch platform. It was only a matter of time until Itch would begin to get more product support and the platform became more widely used.

Are there growing pains, you're damn right there is but that comes with the territory.

And no one is going to give me the argument of 'keeping it real'. I own turntables, I own vinyl, I still use them and I own a NS7. SSL/Itch provides technology to make it easier to travel and have portable setups. Especially in this day and age without murdering yourself when some of these gigs you know getting 'paid' is an issue.

^ I put that statement in because I saw so many Itch users get trashed on the forum about this ideal.

Right now Itch has effects, yeah their not perfect yet but they are there. The SP-6 came with 2.0 out the box which was needed.

It's only logical now that the video option will come next. If I could mimic my SSL setup on Itch it would be perfect.

I would have two setups with the same capabilities and depending on the event I can use my DVS setup or my NS7.

It's a win-win all around, I'm not sure if it's the goal of everyone, but a lot of users would be happy in the end and it would bring Serato more business and revenue.

- Will it need to be stable - YES
- Will it require more development resources - YES
- More support tickets - YES, especially with new user base
- More bugs initially - YES
tomatoslice 4:21 PM - 2 December, 2011
Quote:
Tomato,
Im going to have to disagree with you about VSL being rebranded.

Thats all I wanna say for now :)

Do be do be do....

you bastage!!
DJ Quartz 4:21 PM - 2 December, 2011
Ha ha ha, you guys.
tomatoslice 4:23 PM - 2 December, 2011
and btw i am not saying there won't be video for itch. that would be ridiculous.
just saying it will be a different program and not cross compatible.
tomatoslice 4:25 PM - 2 December, 2011
i will be in total shock if i am wrong.
tomatoslice 4:43 PM - 2 December, 2011
Quote:

Everybody screaming about video not happening on Itch is insane.

people actually say that?! wow
if it were true i'd have to turn to serato and say "are you flipping insane?! you people down under are upside down." haha
DJ Quartz 4:43 PM - 2 December, 2011
Here is my theory on the upgrade charge issue based on what I've seen with other vendors.

I'll use the name Video Live as the place holder for now.

Say the discontinue Video Scratch Live 1.x and repackage it as Video Live (1.0) and it's a plug-in that SSL users and Itch users can buy.

What I've seen with other vendors is they will offer existing user base a free upgrade period based on when your purchased it or just a grace period in general for existing users.

The other option is an upgrade price that is perhaps a 50% discount for existing users.

Based on what Serato has been doing with upgrades. It's possible Video Live would be free for existing registered owners. Anyone new would pay full price to get the new software plug-in.

Quote:
and btw i am not saying there won't be video for itch. that would be ridiculous.
just saying it will be a different program and not cross compatible.

I should have been a little clearer, I didn't want to come across as 'You' saying that. It's more of a broader statement because I've seen some users get bashed on about that and I always thought. What's the deal it's happening whether you like it or not.

I remember when people tried to bash DJ's about using DVS, etc.

Honestly I felt like saying, should we give up our M447's and go back to the old Shure or Stanton needles and become kung-fu masters so we don't skip the needle when cutting, etc.

Should we give up our 1200's, Vestax or Stanton decks and go back to using belt-drive decks, etc, etc.

You know what I mean, everything is progression as time passes. You can't fight it but you can use it for your means.

Anyway back on topic....

I'm hoping the sale is a win-win, more revenue and increased user base to help push on the evolution of VSL to become.... (insert your plug-in name here)
DJ Quartz 4:43 PM - 2 December, 2011
if it were true i'd have to turn to serato and say "are you flipping insane?! you people down under are upside down." haha

:D
nik39 5:15 PM - 2 December, 2011
Quote:
2) even if they wanted to "rebrand" and make it work with itch they can't. itch and ssl are 2 totally and completely different types of programs. 2 totally different codes. they can not just simply make vsl compatible with itch.
that's making a whale mate with a mosquito. it don't fit.
they can not just rewrite some codes around and have it work with vsl and itch. video for itch has to be a whole new program.

Says who? :)

That's why programs have API's and interfaces. So that *other* programs can talk to them and still keep talking to them, no matter what kind of changes you do behind the interface - as long as the interface stays intact.

Quote:
3) even if they decided to double up the code and force some fubar compatibility with itch and ssl it would be easier to just build a video program from the bottom up. and i can't imagine the tech support nightmare on that.
4) from a business stand point 2 programs is better than one. 2 different revenues.

Now you're contradicting yourself.

1. Join the code, get rid of two different codebases doing nearly the same thing
2. Reduce maintenance and support costs
3. Save $$$ by selling two different products for different markets which have the same code base. More profit ;)
DJ Quartz 6:02 PM - 2 December, 2011
Save $$$ by selling two different products for different markets which have the same code base. More profit ;)

^ This is where I'm going with the Video Live rebranding with different installers. Similiar code base but one version tailored to interface with SSL and the other with Itch.

Same application, same functionality for two different platforms. If they can make one installer that can interface with both applications, EVEN BETTER.
djpuma_gemini 6:09 PM - 2 December, 2011
2 years later.
tomatoslice 6:55 PM - 2 December, 2011
could point on the latter, nik.
as far as the former, serato devs have told me that video for itch would be different than video for ssl because it's 2 different code bases.

but who knows things could change. we will just have to see.
all we can agree on is that it would be crazy for itch not to have video.
Deejaykaygee1 7:00 PM - 2 December, 2011
oh well the djs that try to jump in to do video are behind plus they still gotta get videos and maybe a compatible mixer too.. glad that was so last year for me.

Itch or dj intro to do video would suck but im sure its coming. It would only suck for the lazy djs but for the djs actually putting on work would make it easy to make some mix dvds. haha..mix dvds=car boomin with the screens rattlin to our dj logos
DJ Quartz 7:32 PM - 2 December, 2011
Intro wouldn't do video it is an 'LE' based product which is a small feature set to break users into the Serato platform. That is what my understanding of Intro is anyway.

SSL and ITCH would have video capabilities.

But my question is why would it suck for Itch to get video? Without midi or upgraded add-on controllers (ie: NSFX), yes it would be almost impossible to control currently.

If you mean in the sense people claiming to be Video DJ's I can understand. For example, I'm not claiming to be VDJ.

My purpose for video was completely different than wanting to claim I'm a video DJ. It's an add-on capability for me.

So I can do marketing, show my logo, have backgrounds, have visual effects. Something to add to the show when needed.

For example, I did a black history banquet this year. So I showed pictures of Martin Luther King when I played his speech, and pictures of other historic people.

It gave me the ability to add another element and people really liked it when they realized what I was doing.

However, I there wasn't a dance after, so it was one of these situations where I could have just used my NS7 instead taking my full set because I just played music for the cocktail hour, dinner and a couple tracks for people who performed.

It's not that I want to work less, but if I have two setups designed for specific events or adverse conditons such as space, environment. Why is this a bad thing.

Especially outdoor events, I remember once my vinyl taking off in flight or warping in the past because of windy or hot conditions.

I don't see this as a bad thing.

The only thing bad is if people rip off music and don't learn history, do their grind, etc, etc.

That I can agree with.
lvmez 7:38 PM - 2 December, 2011
videos for itch would ruin video djing. every dj would buy the cheapest controller and join a video pool. there would be a ton of $100 video dj's out there.
Millz 7:42 PM - 2 December, 2011
Well in that care Lvmez, you should get prepared ;)
DJ Quartz 7:52 PM - 2 December, 2011
WHAT?? People could technically already do that if they wanted to.

They don't need Itch to do what you're talking about.

I mean I understand what you're saying to a point. It's no different than saying someone can technically go buy SSL with gear. Join some pools and call themselves a DJ.

So should legitimate users be punished for that?
Millz 8:03 PM - 2 December, 2011
I love technology, bring it. I dont care if there are 100000000 video djs. Thats a lot of subscribers to SV :)
DJ Quartz 8:07 PM - 2 December, 2011
Here are all the prices of Itch supported controllers,

Xone DX $799.99
Denon DJ DN-HC5000 $899.99
Novation Twitch $449.00
Numark NS6 $879.00
Numark NS7FX $1,199.00
Numark V7 $599.99
Pioneer DDJ-S1 $999.00
Vestax VCI-300 $499.00

Some of them are not super expensive in a sense but at the same time, there is still an investment there. Plus everything else to go with it, time to learn invested, etc, etc...
DJ Quartz 8:09 PM - 2 December, 2011
Heck, getting two used 1200's a used 57 is not too much more than a NS7FX package today if you think about it.
DJ Quartz 8:09 PM - 2 December, 2011
Not to mention VSL is $99 now.
tomatoslice 8:09 PM - 2 December, 2011
my dog is a dj.
nik39 8:13 PM - 2 December, 2011
Cheap-ass-mofo's.. All of yaaaa!

;)
djnak 8:22 PM - 2 December, 2011
Quote:
my dog is a dj.

Everybodys a dj
Millz 8:24 PM - 2 December, 2011
I just want to be a drummer
Code:E 9:13 PM - 2 December, 2011
Quote:
videos for itch would ruin video djing. every dj would buy the cheapest controller and join a video pool. there would be a ton of $100 video dj's out there.

+1
Agree 100%. though if i owned a A&H DX or NS& it would be sweet to run video. such an easy setup. but lvmez is right. i stepped back into video last year to set me apart from all the freejay's out there wanting to play for $50. Fucking freejay's. anyway. sorry itch guys but i do kinda wish searto NEVER puts a video plugin into itch.
Dj Wunder 9:18 PM - 2 December, 2011
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com
Code:E 9:20 PM - 2 December, 2011
though if you wanted to be a video dj and you owned any of these
Xone DX $799.99
Denon DJ DN-HC5000 $899.99
Novation Twitch $449.00
Numark NS6 $879.00
Numark NS7FX $1,199.00
Numark V7 $599.99
Pioneer DDJ-S1 $999.00
Vestax VCI-300 $499.00

All you need todo it spend $249 more buy Virtual DJ (which is great, and if you dont think it is you have never given it a real try) and it does video right out of the box.

I do feel bad for the serious DJ's using itch, not only cause cause you dont have video but you also dont have the bridge. I'm not a hater of controller DJ's. I am and i still use SSL. i just happen to use some really expensive controllers coupled with some cheap ones. (cdj2000, djm2000, apc40, mpd32, xsession pro). I dont wanna come across as hating on controller DJ's or that all mighty dick who thinks you need to have 1000's records at home to be a real dj, I just have a real hate for freejay's.
DJ Quartz 9:43 PM - 2 December, 2011
True about the 'freejay's' topic but what's stopping someone from doing this with another platform anyway?

It's not like clubs force you to use a specific product, unless I'm mistaken.

If people can already go buy Virtual DJ and any controller and go do the same thing. Itch getting video support will not cause this.

Hell, it might even PREVENT this from happening by getting more professional DJ's into the market on the platform.

Itch is not open, you must have the supported gear to use it whereas open platform systems can use anything.
tomatoslice 9:49 PM - 2 December, 2011
ssl will be the ruining of djing
Rebelguy 9:56 PM - 2 December, 2011
Quote:

How do you know this information? In an interview with Sam Gribben of Serato he stated:

"ITCH and Scratch LIVE are built on the same core, so someone using NS7 for the first time will notice the same quality in tracking the platters, and the resulting audio precision. They'll also be able to use their existing Scratch LIVE library, and all their crates, cue points, and loops will show up in ITCH."

I would take "built on the same core" to mean that they share a bit of code.

I think the main delay in releasing itch was them altering SSL enough as to not raise any red flags from Rane.
Rebelguy 10:03 PM - 2 December, 2011
Quote:

I do feel bad for the serious DJ's using itch, not only cause cause you dont have video but you also dont have the bridge.

Honestly I can't see Rane not adding these feature to Itch in the future. SSL is not the future of the company. People can believe what they want but Controllers are ultimately going to be the direction DJing is going. Need evidence...Technics...dead. Turntable sales...in the toilet.

As far as the bridge, I do not think this was the hit they thought it was going to be. From a performance perspective it is cool but I have yet to see any DJ incorporating it into a club or party setting effectively. If anyone has videos please show me. Realistically Traktor can do close to what the bridge does and you have way more hardware options.
DJ Quartz 10:11 PM - 2 December, 2011
There is a learning curve to using Bridge, that's why it's taking a bit of time to progress. I wish I could even just attend the workshop to see it in full motion with someone experienced.

I've played with it, but I need to sit down and dig deep into it to fully take advantage of it.

My $0.02 is I believe both platforms can exist . People that use turntables will always use turntables, if they need a controller for a purpose they will have that available to them.

People that want controllers will get controllers, it's the way it is. But I have seen people who have controllers grow an interest in Turntables and they end up getting them as well.

I don't really see the harm is cross platform technology in a 1 to 1 system.

Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.
Code:E 10:36 PM - 2 December, 2011
Im also still confused on why serato is running now 3 programs. VDJ and Traktor both run 1 program with scaled back features sets in ever version. and both top end version work great with control vinyl and a sound card. I cants understand why serato decided to develop 3 programs with 3 different code bases that need to be kept up, when one would suffices. But then again theres something to be said for being different.
Code:E 10:41 PM - 2 December, 2011
Back to the topic of Video SL, I would buy it if i didnt already have it at $100 just cause i wouldn't expect a company to sell a piece of software at half price, then drop support for it and give up on it. I would get it now and patiently wait for a V2.0. We know its got to be a 2.0 version cause they need to and I expect them to compete with ME in there new offering.
serkan 10:50 PM - 2 December, 2011
The only thing sucking is this thread.
I can't believe there are still people out there thinking that controller DJs are not real DJs and ITCH is somehow like the cheap beginners version of SL.
ITCH and it's controllers are 100% professional and acutally add value to the DJing itself plus it's portable, space saving, and easy to setup.
I've been playing with vinyl for more than 12 years now and switched to SL in 2008. This year I was one of the first owners of the Novation Twitch and I absolutely love it.
Is this a switch back now? Am I a less DJ now?

And btw: Pene (ITCH lead developer) stated that ITCH & SL are using the same code in the core and that Video will definitely come to ITCH.

Let's see what she posted by the end of 2010:
Quote:

There's is just a bit of work we need to do first but it's definitely coming.

There was another post I couldn't find right now but it was also said that video support will not need a whole new code for ITCH. It "just" needs some time to fit in.

@Serato
V-SL is in my cart already but I need to know if future versions will run with ITCH :)
DJ Quartz 10:53 PM - 2 December, 2011
^ Yep, all those statements were made.
Rebelguy 10:58 PM - 2 December, 2011
Quote:

The only thing sucking is this thread.
I can't believe there are still people out there thinking that controller DJs are not real DJs and ITCH is somehow like the cheap beginners version of SL.
ITCH and it's controllers are 100% professional and acutally add value to the DJing itself plus it's portable, space saving, and easy to setup.

+1

Quote:
And btw: Pene (ITCH lead developer) stated that ITCH & SL are using the same code in the core and that Video will definitely come to ITCH.

Let's see what she posted by the end of 2010:
Quote:
There's is just a bit of work we need to do first but it's definitely coming.

There was another post I couldn't find right now but it was also said that video support will not need a whole new code for ITCH. It "just" needs some time to fit in.

Exactly what I stated above. Do people really think they would code three different programs which basically do the same thing?
DJ Quartz 11:00 PM - 2 December, 2011
I think sometimes people forget that Serato isn't immune to marketing. They have to position themselves in multiple markets as well.

Getting more customers, more exposure, etc, etc...

It's necessary from the business side of things.
DJ Quartz 11:08 PM - 2 December, 2011
Man a lot has happened since 2002/2003/2004 when DVS took over the market. Wow
tomatoslice 1:13 AM - 3 December, 2011
your mom is having a sale.
DJ Deano 2:34 AM - 3 December, 2011
Thanks for the interesting comments guys.

I started DJ'ing back in the 90's with cd's, so never learned on the good old 12".
I started to DJ in bars around 94, 95 and gave it up in about 2004.
I had a break and come back to it in 2008, but i went for PCDJ VJ software as i didn't want to carry about loads of cd's.

I did hear about virtual DJ, and i never knew anything about the DVS software, serato, traktor etc ect.

Now i have had some good gigs using video, (PCDJ VJ) and had a good run in a bar with screens, and i noticed how peoples attitudes changed whilst in a bar, with video/graphics running.

Personally i think a bar/club owner wouldn't care what you use (legal copies or not) as long as it gets the job done.
I've drank in bars, and i can tell how people have the setup, and you can tell who uses the laptop headphone socket, and who uses a USB soundcard.

I'd rather pay more for a product what will be stable, reliable, and did not have loads of updates, and versions, but i don't want to keep paying for new versions of updates.

I ditched PCDJ VJ for traktor scratch pro, when they did the offer (before changing soundcards) which i got to grips with without the vinyl and i liked it, but i felt a little bit dissapointed when they released the new version of software and soundcards. Fair enough it didnt really cost much to the new version, but it still was a sickener.

I wanted to do more video again, but after getting used to traktor, i knew i didnt want to move back to a PCDJ VJ type software so wanted to stick with dvs so i went a got SL3 box.

If i'm been honest i wish traktor done a video plugin, as i don't like using serato as much as i do liking traktor, maybe beacuse things like the X1 work straight out the box, leds work on controllers etc.

Now if serato is working with the likes of Pioneer, numark, denon etc to make controllers to work with a dedicated version software (Itch) with a video version this would be a good thing, as i feel SSL is harder to work with.

For example, i have the denon 4500 controller, which is a great controller, but i cant get to grips with the loops and cues etc in serato. (works easy in traktor)
I have the denon 1000 serato controller, which is good, but all i use it for is the browse buttons section in the middle, and maybe the loop function, but thats about it. But it has no play/pause/cue buttons on it.
I have a X1 controller, granted its based for NI's traktor, but it works very good with traktor, but its a pain having to use midi pipe or something else to get it to work in serato.
I dont use timecode cd's or vinyl , im a play/pause/hot cue type of guy, so an all in one product such as a itch controller would suit me down to the ground.
Serato maybe a market leader in DVS software, but i think they are slowly losing out on other product manufactures, as they are using NI more now.

Most of the bigger manufactures are making the full use of midi etc within the NI software eg denons mc6000 great controller for traktor but no native support for serato, even pioneers mixers are now geared towards NI friendly.

As i said i'd pay good money for products/services, and i know business is business, for the likes of serato/NI etc, but as a paying customer i feel i dont want to be ripped off.
I will pay $99 for video sl but i dont want to feel ripped off come january if they change the software.

Sorry for going on and on.
DJ Unique 6:13 AM - 3 December, 2011
Good points Deano.
DJ Deano 11:55 AM - 3 December, 2011
Well i just bought VSL for $99.

Right move, wrong move? Time will tell i guess.
phatbob 1:18 PM - 3 December, 2011
This is all speculation but I'd say look at the the history of Serato products, they support their products for years, and updates have always been free.

If there is a new version of VSL dropping next year I just can't see them shafting either existing users or those who buy the plugin now. Even if they did make VSL 2 a paid update (unprecedented) I'd bet you anything that they'll offer a cheap upgrade to existing users which would still work out as a good deal.

When it does come to Itch I fully expect to have to buy that as a seperate product. I wouldn't suggest Itch-only users buy the current VSL as a speculative upgrade path.
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:31 PM - 3 December, 2011
But for it tobe a good update it needs tode at least everything ME can do and you would hope more. But i can just seenit being an update for windows and a update for lion with very few new features but iv got it now so what ever they do i can try out.
DJ Deano 3:46 PM - 3 December, 2011
Maybe they have done what they wanted to do.

Get more customers using it, and generate funds.
They have got $99 out of me today.

But as i say, i think if they keep it at a low price, people would probably buy more of it.

At $199, people would probably think twice about ordering the plug in, unless they desperately wanting it and need it.

At $99, people who maybe want it but not sure, its a good price to pay, to get into video.

I just wish serato would support more controllers natively, without having to spend ages mapping everything midi
DJ Quartz 4:28 PM - 3 December, 2011
Just speculation, I still think if you purchase VSL already they are not going to make you buy another version to use with Itch.

If you look at the products now, they are using the same base to provide similiar feature sets amongst all three products. The features are determined by platform and hardware used.

Intro is an introductory product so it has limited features to give the user a taste, so I don't think video will come to this platform.

Itch uses specific hardware, so the feature set from SSL is there but dependent on what you're using as a controller. In other words SSL's cousing or younger brother you might say.

SSL is a full fledged DVS solution as we know.
DJ Quartz 4:31 PM - 3 December, 2011
It would be redundant to make two different video products that do exactly the same thing.

Since it's a plug-in, it only makes sense to have one product and have different versions SSL and Itch.

The name might change maybe it won't even change. Just the platform availability.
Millz 4:33 PM - 3 December, 2011
Quartz, I will have to disagree with you. Itch and SSL are 2 different products. I would think that if a video solution was offered for itch, that it would be a separate product from VSL.
DJ Quartz 4:56 PM - 3 December, 2011
Let me clarify,

On the front end yes, but from a technical standpoint in behind. It will be similiar in design, adjustments will be made to plug-in with SSL or with Itch. ie: Different installation packages.

Like I was saying, marketing might want to make it appears as two different 'products' or they might not.

That was my example for the Video Live rebrand name because they you don't have to be specific.

Then they can say, INTRODUCING..... Video Liiiiiiive, Serato's new video platform designed to work with Scratch Live as it's predecessor but now brings support to our Itch platform. Now... for the first time Itch based DJ setups can enjoy Video functionality , etc, etc.

Know what I mean?
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:21 PM - 3 December, 2011
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

some one needs to extend that to the whole song
keith jackson 12:57 AM - 4 December, 2011
Hate to tell you Fella's There's not gonna be a Video Plugin for Itch for A long time. Itch is Actually written Different then Scratchlive. And if you think it would probably be easier to Just to Make scratch live compatible with Controllers?
DJ Quartz 2:05 AM - 4 December, 2011
That's where I have to disagree, they wouldn't make all this investment if they wanted to make controllers compatible with Scratch Live.

They would have just done that to begin with.

I have thought about this scenario too, because if my NS7 worked with SSL. The plug-in support wouldn't be an issue and standardize everything.
Rebelguy 3:00 AM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
Hate to tell you Fella's There's not gonna be a Video Plugin for Itch for A long time. Itch is Actually written Different then Scratchlive. And if you think it would probably be easier to Just to Make scratch live compatible with Controllers?

As stated above:

Pene (ITCH lead developer) stated that ITCH & SL are using the same code in the core and that Video will definitely come to ITCH.
DJ REDZ 808 11:35 AM - 4 December, 2011
holy crap!! I'll be buying it next payday!! I might even buy two!!
serkan 1:43 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:

Who are you?
You're talking like someone who knows what's going on but at the same time your saying things which are not true.
ITCH 1.x had the same core and now 2.0 is almost the same code.
But this doesn't have to mean anything. You could take the same code change a couple words within 2 minutes and make it separate for SL &ITCH.
So we don't know sh*t :)
nik39 3:23 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

As stated above:

Pene (ITCH lead developer) stated that ITCH & SL are using the same code in the core and that Video will definitely come to ITCH.

Powned.
DJ Quartz 5:53 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
You could take the same code change a couple words within 2 minutes and make it separate for SL &ITCH.

Precisely what I'm trying to say.
Serato
dave 9:16 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
Honestly I can't see Rane not adding these feature to Itch in the future. SSL is not the future of the company.

Hey rebelguy, Serato makes ITCH, read more about us here: serato.com
DjClint77 10:21 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quick question so if I bye this do I get both the Mac & Windows DL? Or do I have to choose which format.
djpuma_gemini 10:24 PM - 4 December, 2011
^same, you can have it on two of your laptops, but can't use it at the same time (one gig machine, one backup etc.)
Serato
Brigid 10:25 PM - 4 December, 2011
You can download any version you want - Windows, Mac or both. Your serial can work on a maximum of two computers.
Serato
dave 10:26 PM - 4 December, 2011
Yep, puma is right. You can download both Mac and Win, but please note this FAQ serato.com

Quote:
The license agreement for Video-SL states that it can only be used on one computer at a time. If you want to use Video-SL on a secondary (backup) system as well, but not simultaneously, a second installation is included in your license provided you are not running it at the same time as your main system.

Activating and running Video-SL on more than one machine simultaneously is a violation of the license agreement and will result in the permanent de-activation of your serial number.
Serato
Brigid 10:26 PM - 4 December, 2011
Way to repeat what djpuma_gemini said, Brigid. *thumbs up*
Serato
dave 10:27 PM - 4 December, 2011
We're far too excited for a Monday morning :)
Serato
Brigid 10:29 PM - 4 December, 2011
DRINK ALL THE COFFEE
Serato
Brigid 10:32 PM - 4 December, 2011
Just in case people didn't see what I wrote in this thread: serato.com

I was asked:
Quote:
Brigid...
Can you comment on the status of video for Itch?

I replied:
Quote:
Actually, I'll throw you a bone here. An announcement about this is coming soon. What I can say is that the next video release will be a free upgrade for existing Video customers.
DjClint77 10:32 PM - 4 December, 2011
Thank you guys for the quick response. I understand the terms was just carious home machine is Windows gig machine is Mac.
Culprit 4:10 AM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
Just in case people didn't see what I wrote in this thread: serato.com

I was asked:
Quote:
Brigid...
Can you comment on the status of video for Itch?

I replied:
Quote:
Actually, I'll throw you a bone here. An announcement about this is coming soon. What I can say is that the next video release will be a free upgrade for existing Video customers.

Brigid, your awesome! Finally an official response that there is an update on its way, and I guess my first prediction of an update via namm 2012 might come true

serato.com / serato.com
Rebelguy 4:11 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Honestly I can't see Rane not adding these feature to Itch in the future. SSL is not the future of the company.

Hey rebelguy, Serato makes ITCH, read more about us here: serato.com

Sorry I brain farted when I responded. Please substitute Serato in my statement.
Serato
dave 6:16 PM - 5 December, 2011
All good :)
Crickett 6:20 PM - 5 December, 2011
Audio Controllers Suck..... That is all.
tomatoslice 6:32 PM - 5 December, 2011
let me just say that the fact that serato peeps are responding in the VSL section is freaking awesome.

it takes very little to make me happy.
djnak 6:44 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
let me just say that the fact that serato peeps are responding in the VSL section is freaking awesome.

it takes very little to make me happy.

+1
popnwave 7:00 PM - 5 December, 2011
After a long hiatus and going back to my DVJs I am excited to see this activity here as well.
Henry GQ 7:53 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
Henry, you should have to pay 80$ more for slinging hard drives.

thats funny. u should take ur act on the road homie...

i mean after all this time u still have a hard on... over nothing. u were so drunk that night (everyone told me) u dont even remember what i said. which i didnt even say anything ab your ass. i guess ur just a puppet being controlled by ur team. u will do anything they say

"yo we dont like henry.." "ight... fuck him"

i dont sell hard drives.
i dont sell music videos
i dont sell mp3s

and neither does anyone i know... give it up dude!

oh.. and congrats on all ur success. i hear ur doing well
Steve Dub. 9:11 PM - 5 December, 2011
I love how the mods ignore every other thread in this damn forum except for this one. Way to care about your customers Serato!!!
tomatoslice 9:16 PM - 5 December, 2011
haha...good point
Serato
Brigid 10:05 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
I love how the mods ignore every other thread in this damn forum except for this one. Way to care about your customers Serato!!!

We don't ignore every other thread, honestly. There's not a lot we're allowed to talk about when it comes to development, but we make a point of reading a lot, if not all of the commentary and feedback on our products - both good and bad.
Rebelguy 10:07 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

We don't ignore every other thread, honestly. There's not a lot we're allowed to talk about when it comes to development, but we make a point of reading a lot, if not all of the commentary and feedback on our products - both good and bad.

I want to know exactly what that thing is on your head? Is that a hat or some crazy photoshop effect?
djpuma_gemini 10:08 PM - 5 December, 2011
It's a big ass paper or cardboard hat (just assuming)
Serato
Brigid 10:13 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:

BINGO. When we moved office, I (maturely) created a hat out of packing cardboard.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:30 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

BINGO. When we moved our office to the new VSL and Mix Emergency joint offices, I (maturely) created a hat out of packing cardboard that we used to ship the copies of VSL to places like Guitar Center. Now that VSL is officially for ITCH and the new Serato Mix Emergency replaces VSL we don't need the cardboard anymore.

It's all download now

Fixed it????????? (hoping not to get banned for mis-quoting a mod IN GOOD FUN)

: )
djpuma_gemini 10:42 PM - 5 December, 2011
Collabo
Culprit 10:45 PM - 5 December, 2011
ya know what? screw it im going back to audio only!!!!!!!

i kid i kid
tomatoslice 2:16 AM - 6 December, 2011
it's just crazy.
you mods might have been reading everything and we do know you aren't allowed to talk about some stuff but come on...a reply more often than what occurred would have been nice.
it's just crazy. i'll bet there's been more posts by serato in here in one week, maybe even one day than there has been in almost a year combined.
some questions are being addressed that would have been totally ignored and certainly not responded to a few months ago.
mods were like yeti. something you heard about but never saw.

i understand you guys had other projects but this section and people felt highly ignored and some people to the point of pissed off. where were you guys to answer these questions months ago? too busy? short staffed? i am sure you won't say but an acknowledgement would be nice. it's not cool to blow off a whole area just because you have other things products to work on. serato reps, you can say you didn't ignore us but that is NOT what most active members here feel. if i started a thread asking "who felt ignored?" there would be a lot of +1s.

it's just crazy how many serato posts there have been in here in less than 1 day.
not saying it's not appreciated but it's like " BAM, we're back!!"
feels like the dad that went out for cigarettes a year ago and finally returned.

sorry, i had to vent.
glad you are here but fuck...it's been a damn long time.
Dj Ace 5:23 AM - 6 December, 2011
They working hard...I would rather have them working than responding to 26 threads on video itch live and promising unrealistic timelines...making software is a very laborious process...i am excited for new bells and whistle but for the mean time I just get as creative as I can with all the mixing tools I already own or that is currently available and I focus on fun and making money while we stil can...
Mister P 1:31 PM - 6 December, 2011
let your audio competitors waste their $99 on VSL. lol
damehype 4:30 PM - 6 December, 2011
If you guys pay more attention, you would realize that they usually reply to specific threads when a new product or revision is imminent. So, I'm excited when I read their responses to those specific threads.
tomatoslice 2:03 AM - 7 December, 2011
gee, i had no idea
damehype 4:17 AM - 7 December, 2011
^ Stop complaining then
DjayRage 7:38 PM - 7 December, 2011
One of the main reasons I picked Serato over other DVS systems (even before taking video into consideration) was the fact that I saw Serato staff was actually on here being helpful when needed. I understand there's a ton of behind the scenes stuff they can't divulge details on but when it comes to actual support I have had zero problems obtaining help.
Anyways on the topic:
I'm looking forward to the next release of VSL. I think the last few releases of VSL and SSL were kind of rushed and I would rather wait for something more stable and feature packed then the opposite of that.
Culprit 8:49 PM - 7 December, 2011
im really excited about all the stuff being worked on, cant wait for namm 2012!!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:28 PM - 7 December, 2011
What is being worked on?? I haven't seen any details anywhere......
tomatoslice 10:31 PM - 7 December, 2011
Quote:
^ Stop complaining then

my remark sarcasm.

Quote:
What is being worked on?? I haven't seen any details anywhere......

no details have been released.
however, it is being worked on. that's obvious.
Millz 1:40 PM - 8 December, 2011
Lots of great things are always going on.
DJ Deano 9:20 PM - 8 December, 2011
Wow, i created a good topic of discussion here.
djpuma_gemini 10:31 PM - 8 December, 2011
They'll never give details during the beta hush hush phase.

Does apple say were working on an iphone 5 that will be out in 6 months?
NO
Dj Bacik 1:02 AM - 9 December, 2011
Quote:

NO

Well I did find the new VSL in a bar.
Culprit 1:20 AM - 9 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

NO

you probably saw mix emergency in action, pix or it didnt exist
Code:E 2:22 AM - 9 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

NO

you probably saw mix emergency in action, pix or it didnt exist

Agreed with culprit.... $10 says it was ME.
phatbob 2:38 AM - 9 December, 2011
Either you two are joking, or the best forum joke for ages just went right over your heads...
Culprit 2:55 AM - 9 December, 2011
Quote:
Either you two are joking, or the best forum joke for ages just went right over your heads...

ummm.. hahaha? didnt get it :/
djpuma_gemini 4:38 AM - 9 December, 2011
lost iphone in a bar (proto)
nik39 6:00 AM - 9 December, 2011
Loool
Quote:
lost iphone in a bar (proto)
Que Yi 3:12 PM - 9 December, 2011
I want to take advantage of the VSL promo, but before I do I need to know if I can scratch videos via my turntables with my SL3, Rane TM56, and a MBP.
phatbob 3:18 PM - 9 December, 2011
You can use that setup, but you can't crossfade the videos with your mixer, you will need to use the keyboard or a seperate midi controller.

Most people who get into video properly will end up with a Rane 57/68 or another midi enabled mixer like the Pioneer 800, or the Vestax 05 Pro IV.

There is still a free demo available of Video SL available so even at the cheap price you should try that first and see how you get on.
Que Yi 3:33 PM - 9 December, 2011
Thanks phatbob!
FunkyRob 2:03 AM - 10 December, 2011
I just thought of a way to make some money.

Buy a whole bunch of seral #'s for $99 each and when the price goes back up in January sell them for $150 to cheapskates that don't want to spend $199

LOL, I'm a genius.
lvmez 2:51 AM - 10 December, 2011
except after you sell the first serial number for $150 to a noob he will sell it for $50 on craigslist 100 times over.
djpuma_gemini 3:55 AM - 10 December, 2011
Quote:
I just thought of a way to make some money.

Buy a whole bunch of seral #'s for $99 each and when the price goes back up in January sell them for $150 to cheapskates that don't want to spend $199

LOL, I'm a genius.

Just sell the boxed version for $150, or $125.
Code:E 4:41 AM - 10 December, 2011
boxed version is not on sale.
FunkyRob 4:51 AM - 10 December, 2011
maybe puma can make some boxes for me
djpuma_gemini 6:22 PM - 10 December, 2011
haha
djnak 7:29 PM - 10 December, 2011
better yet just put in the add
video scratch live "experience" and send them a cracked copy of vdj
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:01 PM - 11 December, 2011
Quote:
better yet just put in the add

video scratch live "experience" and send them a cracked copy of vdj

Then thatd be just 1 more person for you to bitch about cause their using VDJ..........Lame.