DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Denon DN-HS5500

Ronsupreme 5:09 PM - 30 November, 2011
Hey Fella & Ladies got a question for you guys. I've had a Denon DN-H5500 for quite some time now & it works great, (Not to mention you can play both deck with one unit)Just wanted to know if anybody has done any mapping for this unit? A friend of mines told me about someone mapping the new Dennon controller, I was jus wondering if anybody did it for this unit. I bought this unit without the CD Drive & I use a jump drive looped with the serato controller CD on it, Like i said it works fine, was just hoping that i can get to use ALL the buttons on the unit instead of just cue,play, Brake, Dump. It has so much features that would be great.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:24 PM - 30 November, 2011
There isn't anything official but I will move this to the DJ discussio forum and we'll see what those chaps have up their sleeves.
5:24 PM, 30 Nov 2011
Discussion moved to DJing Discussion
Taipanic 6:52 PM - 30 November, 2011
I dont think the buttons are (user) MIDI mappable. You have to be in Non-MIDI mode to use the timecode with Serato - you can't do both at the same time. Serato never created a USB/MIDI profile forthe 5500. I use 2 5500s and the Denon HC100s controller to control Serato, and a Korg Nanokontrol for ME. The only thing I use the 5500 controllers for is start/stop, pitching, and platter control (scratching, brake, etc...)
The 3700 on the other hand, has the hybrid mode which allows MIDI mapping and has the time code built in.
DJ COSMO 6:16 PM - 18 June, 2012
Its a shame to have nice decks and no help getting everything to work using serato i have the same decks and have been waiting for the same thing i like serato but other software will let you and i dont want to switch so i hope they do something about it soon...its been over a year now since i last asked.
Taipanic 7:39 PM - 19 June, 2012
There will be no further changes to the 5500s - they have been out of production for over 3 years. Silvio stated they could not do a "Hybrid Mode" to enable the MIDI and MP3 at the same time on this model - probably part of why they killed this model off so quick and jumped to the 3700.
I still use mine as stated above. For a $150.00 you can have all the buttons you need with the HC100 controller. While I will probably pick up a set of 3900s at some point, you can't beat the ability to play 4 tracks at once.
DJ COSMO 8:16 PM - 19 June, 2012
Sad to hear that but thanks for the info on the hc100 I'll give it a try.
But I love these decks so there in it for the long haul and I put my technique's to the side for now.
mmmilo 7:46 PM - 1 October, 2016
Can u guys pls help me:

I want to get one of this HS5500, but

do I need a Rane SL box to use it with my Serato DJ Software? Is it only working in SSL?

I use Traktor on my Desktop PC, can i Use it without Timecode like a Dj Controller, for example the DDj SX?

Thank u
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:01 PM - 2 October, 2016
Yes you'll need a Rane box or Denon box or you can use one of the Mixers that is supported by the club kit.

I use mine with a Pioneer DJM 850 and it works out pretty well.

Hope that helps.
Drussell 6:32 PM - 11 July, 2017
Soo will they work with just a flashdrive?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:41 PM - 11 July, 2017
Yes I flash drive with the time code signal on it and and Rane box or a SDJ certified mixer.
Taipanic 8:30 PM - 11 July, 2017
I use a 64 gig flash drive with multiple folders. One folder contains 11 min Serato time codes, the other folders contain backup emergency music.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:57 AM - 12 July, 2017
Yeah both of mine have the 250gig hard drives installed with a ton of music and control tones for any software out, lol!

Love my 5500's!
dj cuepoint 9:39 AM - 1 June, 2018
I love my 5500's to been had them since 2010 no problems
dj cuepoint 11:51 PM - 22 May, 2019
To soundinsurgents were can I buy an internal ide pata 2.5 hardrive for my demon hs5500