DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Tips for DJing a Rave

CJthaDJ 2:34 AM - 25 November, 2011
Hey guys, this is an awesome forum you've got here. I look forward to talking with you guys in the future. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Recently I got booked for a rave event. I'm worried because I am not a EDM DJ and I have NEVER DJ'd a rave. I love all types of music, but I am just unexperienced with rave crowds. The club I've got my residency at usually has the underground hiphop/RnB crowd, so I'm used to reading that type of crowd. As of right now, my time slot 2am-3am, so I am the closer for the evening. The type of EDM I will be playing is Dirty Dutch/Electro House. I'm not too sure on how to BE the closer. I've been studying EDC sets to learn how to work a rave crowd, so I'm kind of getting an idea, but not there yet.

The next thing is they've got me using CDJ's. I am a vinyl DJ. I have used CDJ's twice.
One time I used the Denon's, which were like turntables, so I caught on easy.
The other time I used Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3's (only for 5 mins) for fun. I didn't like the feel, so I immediately switched back to my Technics.
At the rave they are making me use Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3's. Any tips to make them easier to switch to from a vinyl DJ? I know I've gotta ride the pitch and they are jog wheels instead of a spinning platter.

Another thing is, they will not let me use a computer. I honestly don't have enough experience without a computer, so I've been putting tape over the waveforms and anything else that would assist me on my computer during practice. This past month, I have taught myself to smoothly and nearly flawlessly beatmatch without waveforms.

The last thing is, I know I'm still basically a virgin DJ. I only started DJing last December and only started my club residency on August 6, 2011, so I'm afraid my nerves will get the best of me leading up to it. Especially since I've gotta DJ at the club from 7pm-1am, then drive straight to the rave for my 2am set time.
sacrilicious 3:03 AM - 25 November, 2011
Yeah you're fucked. Good luck!
DJ Dynamite - NJ 3:46 AM - 25 November, 2011
So how did you get booked for an EDM event if you don't spin that music? You need to know when to say no to a gig until you've gained enough knowledge and experience to work with the format. You're only gonna end up screwing yourself in the end
dj_soo 3:48 AM - 25 November, 2011
Raves are easy. Just keep the energy up and know the structure of your tracks and you'll be fine.
dj_soo 3:50 AM - 25 November, 2011
Oh, and the no laptop thing is stupid. I would have refused the gig on that principle alone. Probably a bunch of elitist douches who somehow think Cdjs are "keeping it real" which is one of the dumbest things I've seen in the edm scene. Vinyl would be one thing but CDs? Wack.
CJthaDJ 3:52 AM - 25 November, 2011
Quote:
So how did you get booked for an EDM event if you don't spin that music? You need to know when to say no to a gig until you've gained enough knowledge and experience to work with the format. You're only gonna end up screwing yourself in the end

I haven't spun it for a crowd yet.. I AM familiar with playing it, but only in practice every day.

Why say no to a gig? It's just DJing! It's not like it's life saving surgery
CJthaDJ 3:54 AM - 25 November, 2011
Quote:
Oh, and the no laptop thing is stupid. I would have refused the gig on that principle alone. Probably a bunch of elitist douches who somehow think Cdjs are "keeping it real" which is one of the dumbest things I've seen in the edm scene. Vinyl would be one thing but CDs? Wack.

I love challenges. This will definitely be a challenge and that excites me
CJthaDJ 3:59 AM - 25 November, 2011
I am so sorry, I forgot to quote this:
"Why say no to a gig? It's just DJing! It's not like it's life saving surgery"
^My mentor is the one who taught me that.
I just don't want you guys to think I'm taking someone else's ideas or quotes
DJ Dynamite - NJ 4:10 AM - 25 November, 2011
Why say no to a gig?
Think about your future. If you take a gig that you're not ready for and you bomb, that might be the last time you get booked for a gig like that or any other gig. You never know who's in the crowd listening. Not to mention the potential fan base you would lose. You only get 1 chance to make a first impression. Maybe your mentor should have also taught you that
CJthaDJ 4:19 AM - 25 November, 2011
Quote:
Why say no to a gig?
Think about your future. If you take a gig that you're not ready for and you bomb, that might be the last time you get booked for a gig like that or any other gig. You never know who's in the crowd listening. Not to mention the potential fan base you would lose. You only get 1 chance to make a first impression. Maybe your mentor should have also taught you that

I respect your opinion, but look at it from the other side.
If you take a gig you're not ready for and you do ARE the bomb, then look at that fan base you gain, look at how many other gigs you can get like that, and the possibility of other people in the crowd listening. Then once they know the story behind that gig, it will boost you even more.
I thrive in pressure/risky situations
RAMPING 4:42 AM - 25 November, 2011
play afrojack the whole time you'll be good haha.

if its a rave, play lots of hardstyle - shuffling music.

Just make sure you don't drop 2 bases at once Almost NEVER works out.
dj_soo 5:01 AM - 25 November, 2011
You can drop 2 basses at once if you know your tunes. Which pretty much excludes all noob Djs these days...
Robert W 5:12 AM - 25 November, 2011
Yeah i fucked myself over a couple times by taking gigs that i didnt have the right music for when i first started playing out. . I played a lot of raves and i would always play old school hiphop/funk/electro. Since everyone else and their mom was doing drum n bass, house, and breaks, i figured it would be fun to not follow suit and bring something different to the party and entertain the crowd by doing all the fancy scratches and beat juggle. Most Old school Funk/Electro is around 120 - 130 BPM anyway so it was easy to mix in from the previous DJ's set and let the next DJ mix out from my set. I had a CDJ800 for a while too, and yes, trying to scratch on one of those is a lot different and takes some getting used to. Even those V7s (Or whatever theyre called) are a little wierd as well. Nothing out there can really mimic vinyl 100%, mostly because the platter is only half the size of a turntable platter. Just bring your computer anyway and use your setup. I used to bring my own mixer/turntables to my gigs sometimes when I played raves if the set up they were using wasnt Scratch Friendly.
Robert W 5:17 AM - 25 November, 2011
Quote:
Just make sure you don't drop 2 bases at once Almost NEVER works out.

The only genre you can have 2 bases at once is hiphop. Unless the 2 tracks you're mixing are bass heavy. That's why i like hiphop, you dont really have to fuck with the EQs.
dj_soo 5:20 AM - 25 November, 2011
Dropping 2 basses in drum n bass has been the norm for years - they call it a "double drop"

You just have to know your tunes and know which mixes work for that and hitch don't
kristoff1986 4:11 PM - 25 November, 2011
what makes this event a rave?
i always thought raves went on till 6 in the morning at least
Papa Midnight 6:41 PM - 25 November, 2011
Quote:

He said his slot was from 2am to 3am. I'm guessing that means another DJ is coming in right behind and ahead of him.
CJthaDJ 8:23 PM - 25 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

He said his slot was from 2am to 3am. I'm guessing that means another DJ is coming in right behind and ahead of him.

There's a whole lineup behind me, but I was told I'm the closer. They gave me the option of being the opener or closer. I picked closer. I believe being an opener takes the most skill out of any timeslot, so for my first time, I'll watch someone else do it.
REDSELECTER 8:33 PM - 25 November, 2011
Quote:
There's a whole lineup behind me, but I was told I'm the closer. They gave me the option of being the opener or closer. I picked closer. I believe being an opener takes the most skill out of any timeslot, so for my first time, I'll watch someone else do it.

My money is on this poster being a troll
flipmo8064 10:00 PM - 25 November, 2011
Any rave I've been to, the opener played to an empty venue and the closer... Well, everyone is on too many drugs to notice too much. Drop some heavy bass tracks and keep it steady.
CJthaDJ 10:46 PM - 25 November, 2011
But the opener is that guy who is supposed to set the mood for the whole night. He's gotta build up the energy just right, so the crowd is ready for the rest of the bomb night to come. He's that guy who welcomes the guests and allows them to get their bearings without having to jump into a pumped up, raging dancefloor.

Quote:
Quote:

My money is on this poster being a troll

How much money? I'm willing to make the bet with you. I can use the extra cheese.
dj_soo 11:09 PM - 25 November, 2011
I think some of you are being too harsh - he's not coming in here asking what to play or what the top hits for "rave music" is, he's getting a chance to play a set in a style he's been practicing at home but never had a chance to play out.

Find out what the dude before you is spinning and make sure you don't shift the mood too abruptly. For instance, if the dude before is playing funky breaks or something it might not be the best idea to go straight into heavy dutch house ... build into it instead.

Might even consider finding a good opening track with an epic intro just to let people know a new dj is playing.

Don't worry too much about reading the crowd like you would at a club - the crowd is not going to be as fickle as top 40 heads and most are just there to dance to interesting music.

I find in "raves" (can you even call this a rave when it ends at 3?) due to the minuscule time slots, the opener is usually the biggest n00b just looking to play out. This usually translates to peak time bangers when no one is there (just like in most clubs).
eder 12:16 AM - 26 November, 2011
Make sure to play some Gunther- Ding Dong Song. Those etards go CRAZY for it.
CJthaDJ 5:42 AM - 26 November, 2011
Quote:
I think some of you are being too harsh - he's not coming in here asking what to play or what the top hits for "rave music" is, he's getting a chance to play a set in a style he's been practicing at home but never had a chance to play out.

Find out what the dude before you is spinning and make sure you don't shift the mood too abruptly. For instance, if the dude before is playing funky breaks or something it might not be the best idea to go straight into heavy dutch house ... build into it instead.

Might even consider finding a good opening track with an epic intro just to let people know a new dj is playing.

Don't worry too much about reading the crowd like you would at a club - the crowd is not going to be as fickle as top 40 heads and most are just there to dance to interesting music.

Thank you very much! This is much appreciated. Exactly what I was looking for.
By the end of this week, I will know the exact timeslots and which genre's people will be playing. Since I'm supposed to play Electro House and Dirty Dutch, I was thinking of opening with "Hello (Sidney Samson Remix) [Basically telling the crowd hello I am your new DJ]", "Aural Psynapse" [Got that nice vibe to it that builds up], or "Lionheart" [Again, nice vibe that builds up]

Quote:
I find in "raves" (can you even call this a rave when it ends at 3?) due to the minuscule time slots, the opener is usually the biggest n00b just looking to play out. This usually translates to peak time bangers when no one is there (just like in most clubs)

I have noticed that a lot. The problem with these new DJs is that they just don't know any better. I'll admit, my first club gig, I played bangers too quick and ended up playing some bangers twice in the 6 hour time I was DJing, but now that I've got a residency, I learn more and more about crowds every weekend during the 6 hours I play. It's definitely a blessing I was able to get the chance to learn like I have.
CJthaDJ 5:43 AM - 26 November, 2011
OR, I was even thinking of producing an original mix for my opening.
Papa Midnight 9:18 AM - 26 November, 2011
It's not unheard of for DJ's to pre-record their mixes. Sometimes, it can lead to great performances - key point being performances. So you'll see big-name mainstream DJs do this with crowds who come to see the performance and listen to the music more so than they come to see the DJ actually play. But it can also put you in a bind real quick so it's not something I'm going to recommend, especially for a crowd you've never played in front of.
CJthaDJ 9:30 AM - 26 November, 2011
Quote:
It's not unheard of for DJ's to pre-record their mixes. Sometimes, it can lead to great performances - key point being performances. So you'll see big-name mainstream DJs do this with crowds who come to see the performance and listen to the music more so than they come to see the DJ actually play. But it can also put you in a bind real quick so it's not something I'm going to recommend, especially for a crowd you've never played in front of.

What's the point of that? If we do that, are we even DJs? I took this gig to get challenged and have a do or die situation. I do not want to take the lazy or the safe way out
dj_soo 11:09 AM - 26 November, 2011
Quote:
It's not unheard of for DJ's to pre-record their mixes.

more often than not, these are the producers that can't really dj but find themselves being booked for DJ gigs all over the world.

It's pretty lame, but it's unfortunately the state of the EDM scene these days - people are booked more for their tracks than any sort of skill behind the decks.

Especially now that programs like Ableton or Traktor make it so easy to fake the funk...
str8nger 6:03 PM - 26 November, 2011
a rave i want to barf, nothing but hipsters and happy hardcore and trance crap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
DJ Sparky Killabrew 11:14 PM - 29 November, 2011
dont take the brown acid
Dj Jay Free 1:47 AM - 30 November, 2011
Why pass on a gig... SMDH because you are NOT familiar with the music needed or they equipment they have to use.

#FAIL
O.B.1 8:44 AM - 30 November, 2011
vicks vapo rub
Daktyl 10:25 AM - 30 November, 2011
Quote:
vicks vapo rub

newports and listerine strips... and menthol eyedrops
dj_soo 10:30 AM - 30 November, 2011
soothers, candy bracelets, phat pants, and visors?
Daktyl 10:36 AM - 30 November, 2011
jansport backpack and pacifier... and a girl in pigtails....
Eric N 2:39 PM - 30 November, 2011
The main thing that I would focus on is getting yourself used to the structural differences in mixing EDM as opposed to mixing hip hop/open format. Chances are that you are used to doing shorter mixes and transitions. EDM tracks generally take a long time to build to peak and a long time to wind down. It's not uncommon for great EDM DJs to have 2 (or even 3) tracks running in unison for a minute or two. You AT LEAST want to be able to hold your mixes long enough to avoid long, stale periods of nothing but kick drum and minimal "oontz". If you mix hip-hop style, every track will sound pretty boring at the beginning. You will either need to be able to pull off long transitions, or you need to pre-edit your tracks to have shorter intros lol.

If you are not used to mixing without a laptop OR playing on CDJs, PLUS not used to the different mixing structure, this show is likely going to be more of a challenge than you are admitting to yourself.

Here's another idea that may be your only salvation for this particular gig - but this is some serious wanksta shit that will get you laughed at if anyone notices. ;)

1 - Figure out all of the tracks that you are going to play ahead of time.
2 - Import them all into Ableton individually, and warp all of them to be exactly the same BPM, then re-export.
3- Burn tracks to CDs
4- Mix through your whole set, only having to worry about in and out points, phrasing, and EQ. Like Tiesto or any of the others who pretend to be "real DJs".

No disrespect but I think you are in over your head on this one. Good luck!
Eric N 2:41 PM - 30 November, 2011
^^^ re: above

Maybe Tiesto wasn't a perfect example. I seem to remember a time when he actually did mix live and do OK, although I could be wrong. There are lots of EDM DJs who do this, though. There were even DJs who re-pressed their records to be the same BPM back in the days before Serato. STILL doesn't make it OK though! :)
12inchskinz 3:29 PM - 30 November, 2011
Rave......find a time machine and set it for 1993. Be sure to play that song "Mr. Kirks Nightmare", anything Prodigy, any thing on Knight Force Records, anything on Suburban Base, O' fortuna by Apotheosis, James Brown Is dead by L.A. Style, Dominator by human Resourse, and anything by Radio Active Goldfish, that song SPEED RACER by Alpha Team.

Oh yea...dont forget "JUMP MOTHER F*#KER" by The Movement......floor filler for sure.
benberry 5:00 PM - 30 November, 2011
What kind of rave is it - Drum & Bass, Dubstep, Hardcore/Happy Hardcore, Hard House, Garage, Acid House, Techno, Trance???

I'd work out what the normal music style is and keep it the same.

Of course, last set can either be a complete tear out or a wind down so you'll need to be prepared for both - it depends if the crowd is already knackered or begging for more!
Papa Midnight 9:19 PM - 30 November, 2011
Quote:
4- Mix through your whole set, only having to worry about in and out points, phrasing, and EQ. Like Tiesto or any of the others who pretend to be "real DJs".
Quote:
Maybe Tiesto wasn't a perfect example. I seem to remember a time when he actually did mix live and do OK, although I could be wrong.

I wouldn't throw Tiësto into that group, either. I actually do remember him mixing live. These days, though, most of his shows are premixed (from what I've seen) for the presentation side of the show (i.e.: Pyrotechnics, Fog, Smoke, Water (for those who saw his Elements of Life tour), etc.). Plus, I doubt he wants his CDJ to fail on him in the middle of "Adagio for Strings" again (Watchwww.youtube.com) :P
CJthaDJ 11:12 PM - 30 November, 2011
Quote:
What kind of rave is it - Drum & Bass, Dubstep, Hardcore/Happy Hardcore, Hard House, Garage, Acid House, Techno, Trance???

I'd work out what the normal music style is and keep it the same.

Of course, last set can either be a complete tear out or a wind down so you'll need to be prepared for both - it depends if the crowd is already knackered or begging for more!

www.vegasraves.com(All-Ages-18-Curfew-Crown-Nightclub)
^Info on the event

Quote:
Why pass on a gig... SMDH because you are NOT familiar with the music needed or they equipment they have to use.

#FAIL

I never said I'm not familiar with it, I just don't play it for crowds. I practice it a lot

Quote:
The main thing that I would focus on is getting yourself used to the structural differences in mixing EDM as opposed to mixing hip hop/open format. Chances are that you are used to doing shorter mixes and transitions. EDM tracks generally take a long time to build to peak and a long time to wind down. It's not uncommon for great EDM DJs to have 2 (or even 3) tracks running in unison for a minute or two. You AT LEAST want to be able to hold your mixes long enough to avoid long, stale periods of nothing but kick drum and minimal "oontz". If you mix hip-hop style, every track will sound pretty boring at the beginning. You will either need to be able to pull off long transitions, or you need to pre-edit your tracks to have shorter intros lol.

If you are not used to mixing without a laptop OR playing on CDJs, PLUS not used to the different mixing structure, this show is likely going to be more of a challenge than you are admitting to yourself.

Here's another idea that may be your only salvation for this particular gig - but this is some serious wanksta shit that will get you laughed at if anyone notices. ;)

1 - Figure out all of the tracks that you are going to play ahead of time.
2 - Import them all into Ableton individually, and warp all of them to be exactly the same BPM, then re-export.
3- Burn tracks to CDs

No disrespect but I think you are in over your head on this one. Good luck!

Thank you for the help. I know the structure of house songs, but I just don't know how they would respond to certain things. You helped confirm what I thought.

I know this is a true challenge. I am actually excited for the challenge. I thrive in crunch time, challenging situations. I'm doing this FOR the challenge, so I am not going to mix my whole set first and fake it.

Everyone else: Once again. I don't need help with what songs to play! Just tips for using CDJ's instead of Technics and how rave crowds respond.
I know how to beatmatch without waveforms or anything else a computer assists with. I'll put black tape over the top half of the screen or use my vinyl records to learn.
I've been teaching myself to ride the pitch instead of nudging the records.
Those are the two biggest differences I will be dealing with that I know of. Are there any others?
CJthaDJ 11:14 PM - 30 November, 2011
Why are so many people telling me to fake the funk. We're DJs aren't we?! Are you guys scared to take risks and do different stuff every once in a while? It's JUST DJing, not life saving surgery!
benberry 3:48 PM - 1 December, 2011
Too many people scared of themselves mate, don't watch the jealously... prep well and you'll be fine

Everyone gotta step outside their comfort zone sometime.... only way you progress innit
Audio1 5:18 PM - 1 December, 2011
They have you listed as Dirty Dutch/Electrohouse. I say, Make a crate with whatever tunes you are digging in that genre and work the party that way. No need to do anything else. Just know your tracks in and out. Make cue points and loops to help with the transitions. You have 10 days to practice. Get to it.
dj_soo 6:05 PM - 1 December, 2011
wow. people still listen to happy hardcore?
DJ Dac 7:38 PM - 1 December, 2011
Quote:

every now and then i will break out some happy rave '95 to reminisce...
Audio1 8:15 PM - 1 December, 2011
Quote:
such a shit genre.
DJYoshi 8:16 PM - 1 December, 2011
A1 is so on point... and biggest thing about raves, festivals, bigger shows..
it's all about keeping the energy and showmanship.
you should have a goal..it's a prime time set for that slot... no 1 person leaves the venue....
Rane, Support
Chad S. 9:01 PM - 1 December, 2011
For all the poeple fighting to get slots at major raves, I'm dumbfounded a person who doesn't play that music got booked. Thats not saying anything against you, it's more of a smh for the promoter. Are you doing it for free?

If it's an all ages rave i recommend 120-140 bpm range. They want energy but it also needs to be built up. If you got them popping don't fret on dropping a long breakdown to let them recoup. If you are having trouble getting them going using an electro / house song with a popular female vocal will usually get them moving. Let them sing along as they dance.

Also interact with the crowd. Most raves have the dj on stage and removed from the crowd. Wave your hands and stomp your feet. Ravers will give back the energy that the DJ gives to them. I have seen some horrid DJ's through down an energy packed set and the crowd loved it. If you're having a good time, they will to.

Have a few canned songs ready to go though with mainstream vocals. Also chck the beatport charts for the genre you are playing. It can tip you off to some of the hot tracks and artists.
Papa Midnight 9:20 PM - 1 December, 2011
Quote:
For all the poeple fighting to get slots at major raves, I'm dumbfounded a person who doesn't play that music got booked. Thats not saying anything against you, it's more of a smh for the promoter. Are you doing it for free?

If it's an all ages rave i recommend 120-140 bpm range. They want energy but it also needs to be built up. If you got them popping don't fret on dropping a long breakdown to let them recoup. If you are having trouble getting them going using an electro / house song with a popular female vocal will usually get them moving. Let them sing along as they dance.

Also interact with the crowd. Most raves have the dj on stage and removed from the crowd. Wave your hands and stomp your feet. Ravers will give back the energy that the DJ gives to them. I have seen some horrid DJ's through down an energy packed set and the crowd loved it. If you're having a good time, they will to.

Have a few canned songs ready to go though with mainstream vocals. Also chck the beatport charts for the genre you are playing. It can tip you off to some of the hot tracks and artists.

I agree with everything here.
sixxx 9:42 PM - 1 December, 2011
"For all the poeple fighting to get slots at major raves, I'm dumbfounded a person who doesn't play that music got booked. Thats not saying anything against you, it's more of a smh for the promoter. Are you doing it for free?"

In the words of Gang Starr.... "the question remains"
dj_soo 9:56 PM - 1 December, 2011
Quote:
For all the poeple fighting to get slots at major raves

did you see that flyer he posted? Looks like the furthest thing from a "major" rave.
gwilliams 4:43 AM - 2 December, 2011
stay away from the brown acid!!!
Robert W 11:42 PM - 3 December, 2011
I agree with Chad. That seems wierd that they booked you and told you what to play. They should definetly let you do your own thing. Like i said before, when i did raves, i started my set with some old school hiphop somewhere in the 85 - 105 BPM range, did my turntable tricks and scratching, and throughout my set I would increase the speed little by little on each track until i was in the 120BPM range and start playing Old School funk/Electro Funk. sometimes I would even work some house into the set if i brought my CDJ with me. I always opted to bring my setup too with a scratch friendly mixer and everything else I needed. I think it's a good idea to do something different in an event like that. It helps you to stand out from everyone else. The rave scene in my area has been dead for a few years now, so i havent played one since 2006. Well good luck though, and experiment with different styles during your set.
toasted 4:42 PM - 4 December, 2011
a rave to me means fast and hard , must be different in the u.s
i wouldnt play anything under 140bpm , you need to fuck there heads up with some noize lol
CJthaDJ 9:28 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:

I'm not doing it for free. They believe I can bring a following, so I got booked. They gave me options of what they wanted played, so I picked my favorites.

Thank you for those tips, I'll keep that in mind. I'm the closer though, so I'll build up the energy for a bit, then slowly bring the energy levels down

Quote:
i wouldnt play anything under 140bpm , you need to fuck there heads up with some noize lol

EDC is considered a Rave, isn't it?
Audio1 5:46 PM - 5 December, 2011
RAVE is the negative name. They are called "ELECTRONIC MUSIC FESTIVALS" LMAO!
FunkyRob 6:56 PM - 5 December, 2011
I'm with one Audio1 already said.

Flyer says you'll be playing Dirty Dutch/Electrohouse

I just googled dirty dutch party bangers and found a nice mix from 10 months ago that you can download and play.

It's almost 18 minutes long, not sure what you should do for the remaining 42 minutes.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:34 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:

Thank you for those tips, I'll keep that in mind. I'm the closer though, so I'll build up the energy for a bit, then slowly bring the energy levels down

What time are closing? Most of the times that means you need to baby people off of their trips. aka melodic and trancy
eder 8:14 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:

I'm not doing it for free. They believe I can bring a following, so I got booked. They gave me options of what they wanted played, so I picked my favorites.

Oh man there are so many things wrong with this statement but I'm feeling a bit lazy I'll leave it to someone like sixxx or JC or Chad S to analyze the fuck out of. Break down time!
Esco... 8:50 PM - 5 December, 2011
I got booked to play my first rave at a local bar/club in Statesboro,GA. It's me and 2 other DJ's, I don't know what slot time I'm going to play. Just a question, is opening for a rave the same as a club. Do I start will mellow tracks and just slowly build up the energy ?
echa1945mf 10:48 PM - 5 December, 2011
since when dirty dutch is underground ......SMH ...

americans
Rane, Support
Chad S. 12:22 AM - 6 December, 2011
lets be fair, lots of first time rave DJ's are doing it for free. I've been guilty of it a few times ;) This person is actaully getting paid.

Closing slot is a whole lot different than opening though. It helps if you've been to this venue or have been to a party this promoter has done in the past. Who knows, you might be playing to cuddle puddles.
Robert W 1:30 AM - 6 December, 2011
Quote:
I got booked to play my first rave at a local bar/club in Statesboro,GA. It's me and 2 other DJ's, I don't know what slot time I'm going to play. Just a question, is opening for a rave the same as a club. Do I start will mellow tracks and just slowly build up the energy ?

I guess that's how I'd do it, but If i got offered an opening slot, I'd turn it down since only a few people would hear my set.
Robert W 1:35 AM - 6 December, 2011
I think the promoters should just throw on mixed Cds at the start of the party until enough people got there and then have the DJs take over. I know not every event is like that, but a lot of events i had a gig at, there werent a whole lot of people there until 11 or 12, especially if theyre coming from out of town. I'd take it as a low blow if they put me on as the opener.
Papa Midnight 4:16 AM - 6 December, 2011
Quote:
since when dirty dutch is underground ......SMH ...

americans

Oh, dear... here comes the nationalism...
CJthaDJ 5:13 AM - 8 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

What time are closing? Most of the times that means you need to baby people off of their trips. aka melodic and trancy

Just found out my slot time is 12:45-2:30 (with the option to play to 3). WELL, that's about an hour longer than expected. Best part is I found out last night and I've got another gig on that day that ends at 12.
IF I don't reply, sorry. I am working my hardest for this

Quote:
I'm with one Audio1 already said.

Flyer says you'll be playing Dirty Dutch/Electrohouse

I just googled dirty dutch party bangers and found a nice mix from 10 months ago that you can download and play.

It's almost 18 minutes long, not sure what you should do for the remaining 42 minutes.

I just can't bring myself to use premixed sets.. I'm sorry. Thank you for the effort though!
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:31 PM - 8 December, 2011
Quote:

THIS...if I went to a rave that peaked at 120 house music id be asking for my money back, the music best not be slower than either my heart poundin or teeth chatterin
Pk
Papa Midnight 4:47 PM - 8 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

THIS...if I went to a rave that peaked at 120 house music id be asking for my money back, the music best not be slower than either my heart poundin or teeth chatterin
Pk

There is some pretty good stuff between 128 and 140. I mean, what do we have tempo sliders for?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:24 PM - 8 December, 2011
Yes but if it PEAKS at 120 youll never hear those tracks...hes talkin bout doin a rave set ranging from 100 to 120....2 thumbs.doooooown
toasted 7:34 PM - 8 December, 2011
looks like a pretty random gig, i bet the dj playing happy hardcore was going to be doing the last set
the promoter hasnt got a clue hes just clutching at straws and hiring random dj`s
Papa Midnight 7:49 PM - 8 December, 2011
Quote:
Yes but if it PEAKS at 120 youll never hear those tracks...hes talkin bout doin a rave set ranging from 100 to 120....2 thumbs.doooooown

Oh hell no.
slimmjimm 1:46 PM - 9 December, 2011
Quote:
Rave......find a time machine and set it for 1993. Be sure to play that song "Mr. Kirks Nightmare", anything Prodigy, any thing on Knight Force Records, anything on Suburban Base, O' fortuna by Apotheosis, James Brown Is dead by L.A. Style, Dominator by human Resourse, and anything by Radio Active Goldfish, that song SPEED RACER by Alpha Team.

Oh yea...dont forget "JUMP MOTHER F*#KER" by The Movement......floor filler for sure.

I co-sign everything here, EVERYTHING.
Audio1 2:11 PM - 9 December, 2011
I believe a lot of people are going off on tangents here. Seriously, How many of you are actually playing raves and undergrounds in 2011? I know I am. At least in my scene, We've been open to a lot of styles for the past 2-3 decades.

- Funky House
- Deep House / Disco House
- Hard House
- Electro House
- UK Grime / 2 Step
- Drum & Bass / Jungle / Ragga-Jungle
- Happy Hardcore
- Hardcore / Gabber / Speedcore
- Dubstep / Drumstep / Glitch

So many other genres. So a few heads believe its between 100 and 120 and others believe its 140+... who cares. Every scene and genre plays differently. Shit, I play every single BPM. 128 (electro house), 140 (dubstep), 175 (drum and badd), 90 (drumstep/glitch), 110 (moombahton). There is room for everything.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 4:30 PM - 9 December, 2011
Quote:
There is room for everything.

Isn't that what a rave is all about? When I used to go to raves pretty much everything was played. It's usually the people that have never been that think they know it all
Papa Midnight 5:08 PM - 9 December, 2011
Quote:
So many other genres. So a few heads believe its between 100 and 120 and others believe its 140+... who cares. Every scene and genre plays differently. Shit, I play every single BPM. 128 (electro house), 140 (dubstep), 175 (drum and badd), 90 (drumstep/glitch), 110 (moombahton). There is room for everything.

Truth, but I've never had an audience for moombahton myself.

100 to 120 though does give some good stuff, i.e.: from The Crystal Method and from The Prodigy.
Robert W 10:26 PM - 9 December, 2011
Well i always got my props for doing something different. A few DnB/house djs would even ask me to scratch/mix in some hip hop for them while they play their sets since they liked what i was doing.
CJthaDJ 10:06 PM - 11 December, 2011
It was successful :)
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:38 PM - 12 December, 2011
Awesome, what did you play?
Papa Midnight 6:58 PM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:

Also, what was the crowd like?
Audio1 7:01 PM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:
Truth, but I've never had an audience for moombahton myself.
100 to 120 though does give some good stuff, i.e.: from The Crystal Method and from The Prodigy.
A lot of the EDM guys making Dubstep are now making Drumstep, Glitch-Hop and Moombahton in the 90 thru 115 ranges. Drumstep can double as 90 or 180, whichever way you look at it.
CJthaDJ 4:01 AM - 14 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Also, what was the crowd like?

Basically
Songs with big drops in the beginning (Went up to dubstep to Drop the new Levels (Skrillex Remix) -Avicii and the crowd went NUTS over that song)
That high pitched Dirty dutch sound in the middle
Turntable tricks for the last 20 mins

The crowd was awesome. The DJ booth is set up on a stage, so the DJ is basically the center of attention. I felt more energy from that crowd than any other crowd I've DJ'd for. Anything I did had them eating out of my hands. I some tracks that have lyrics (Show Me Love, Sending My Love, and a few others), and had them singing to it! Basically with anything I did, I couldn't go wrong. After the first 30 mins I didn't even notice I had no computer, beatmatching became 2nd nature to me. CDJ's were actually much easier to use than I anticipated. I thought the jog wheel would be a problem, but I caught on quickly
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:10 PM - 14 December, 2011
Cool story bro :)
echa1945mf 2:20 PM - 14 December, 2011
Quote:
Cool story bro :)

LMAO ! -9gag
DJYoshi 5:20 PM - 14 December, 2011
if laidback luke can play kanye west for 100,000 people.... so can you!