DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Advice for when i let a friend spin on my 57 for a gig :)

DJCheLu 2:24 AM - 20 October, 2007
Im doing a gig with a friend and normally we use his mackie d.2 but he is sending it in for repairs (because he bought it all jacked up from GC) so im bringing my mixer. I was thinking about just using the 57 because i dont feel like teaching him how to use the 909. My question is he has a bad habit of turning shit up really loud gains, eq's etc etc. Well everytime i go on i turn everything down and spin. With the 57 i was told no matter what the mixer wont clip because it has some built in limiter thing, how true is this?? Im really dreading taking it but its only fair since we use his shit for most of the gigs. I dont care about the speakers they belong to the club and are severely under powered so they wont blow, but will he damage my mixer turning gains up to max?? im going to tell him not to but if he does out of habit will it damage it?? If so then im bringing my american audio qd5 mixer and just dealing with it for the night.....
DJCheLu 2:26 AM - 20 October, 2007
Oh and i had planned on daisy chaining, so i would be using the 57 for serato and he would be using the SL1 box.
nik39 11:11 AM - 20 October, 2007
Quote:
Well everytime i go on i turn everything down and spin. With the 57 i was told no matter what the mixer wont clip because it has some built in limiter thing, how true is this??

After a certain amount of gain applied the audio will still sound distorted.

Quote:
but will he damage my mixer turning gains up to max??

Nope.
DJCheLu 10:20 PM - 20 October, 2007
K great thats all i was worried about, i dont care if he sounds distorted, im not the one up there. I just dont want any damage to the mixer. Thanks You sir
DJ Prinvale` 2:53 AM - 21 October, 2007
Quote:
K great thats all i was worried about, i dont care if he sounds distorted, im not the one up there. I just dont want any damage to the mixer. Thanks You sir

there is a really good few pages in the 57 manual that goes over the gains / volume and how it works. It's pretty interesting and very good information.
cappinkirk 9:08 PM - 30 October, 2007
where's AdamJay????
themdudes 3:30 PM - 1 November, 2007
Why don't you teach your friend to DJ properly?
dj-jv 5:44 PM - 1 November, 2007
My opinion dont let anyone touch ur mixer. onless u like grab ur but!!
DJCheLu 8:37 PM - 1 November, 2007
Quote:
Why don't you teach your friend to DJ properly?

Because he has been doing it for 5 years and i have been doing it for 5 months lol. He doesnt listen to me.....
nik39 8:43 PM - 1 November, 2007
Quote:
Why don't you touch your friend to DJ properly?

Dude... Never mix sex and business ;)