DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What is the best remixing/producing software?

DjCiprian 2:34 AM - 19 October, 2007
for a mac? i'd like to hear what everyone's using. Thanks!
DJ Sniffles 2:42 AM - 19 October, 2007
mac? Logic?

i think ableton is the easiest for remixing (even though i dunno how to use it still)
DjCiprian 2:48 AM - 19 October, 2007
yea i for a mac pro and would love to start learning how to use something nice. I 've heard a few about ableton, but also would like some input on protools..whats up with logic?
marx 2:57 AM - 19 October, 2007
pro tools. i know it sound like "1200" but its true. my brother in law just getting an engineer & he basically used all of the programs.

his opinon "pro tools without a doubt"

just sucks that u have to use specific hardware (kinda like serato"

m-audio is a good starting point that has combos with the entry level combo hardware/software bundles.

that without a doubt is your best bet.
DJ Sniffles 3:00 AM - 19 October, 2007
protools is great if you know how to use it....not for the novice. i bought ProTools for Mac/Windows by Steven Roback . Great book
djnvs 3:04 AM - 19 October, 2007
if you're going with protools, get the M-Box...or you can go with ableton or logic.. i havent used protools.. used cubase... cubase was cool.. logic i wasnt too fond of... but ableton is dope
marx 3:09 AM - 19 October, 2007
guess it just depends how serious u want to get.

it just sucks learning a program in & out....then to realize u now have to upgrade & learn all over again because u outgrew the novice version.
DjCiprian 3:12 AM - 19 October, 2007
i'd like to start remixing mash ups
DJ Sniffles 3:16 AM - 19 October, 2007
i wanna make my own b-more tracks hahaha
AMF 3:21 AM - 19 October, 2007
I say u can use any program to do almost anything you need. It's just mainly how comfortable you are with the work flow of each application.

I happen to be comfortable with protools (002). But I have heard great things things about Logic 8.
society 3:41 AM - 19 October, 2007
ProTools has a steeper learning curve than Ableton, but ProTools will allow you to do much more. I've used both--if you're just interested in remixing, I'd go with Ableton.

There are other factors to consider too, like, do you already have experience with any other program? Also, do you have long term plans to get into this kind of thing in a big way (i.e. a career)? If you do, I'd take the plunge and do ProTools, at least for the fact that if you get into the industry you'll be using it at some point (if not all points) so you'll need to know it inside out.
AMF 3:43 AM - 19 October, 2007
I tried the lite version of ableton and I couldn't figure ANYTHING out on that program. Granted, I only tried for an hour or so. But I couldn't figure out the warping for s**t.
marx 4:03 AM - 19 October, 2007
Quote:
i'd like to start remixing mash ups

u don't need protools @ all for that.

sorry can't recommend anything for mac....only windows.
society 4:03 AM - 19 October, 2007
Quote:
I tried the lite version of ableton and I couldn't figure ANYTHING out on that program. Granted, I only tried for an hour or so. But I couldn't figure out the warping for s**t.

Ableton's got great tutorials, but I'm not sure if they're included with the lite or demo versions...
AMF 4:06 AM - 19 October, 2007
I'll check them out online if I can find them. It might even be worth buying the full version just for remixing from what I hear.
DJ Sniffles 4:16 AM - 19 October, 2007
Reason, and recycle, along with the right sound banks (i have the triton rack hooked up to reason) i'm wondering if i could cook up some bmore. i need an mpc-2500 or the roland 8800, if i only had the money

www.rolandus.com
AMF 4:33 AM - 19 October, 2007
Quote:
Reason, and recycle, along with the right sound banks (i have the triton rack hooked up to reason) i'm wondering if i could cook up some bmore. i need an mpc-2500 or the roland 8800, if i only had the money

www.rolandus.com

Ya know, this is pretty close to what I have. I have:

protools 002
reason 3
mpc2000xl
triton le
various software (recycle, sound forge,etc)

And you definitely can make some b-more with this setup. U just have to have the drum sample ("think") for it and you're off and rollin'. I've made a few b-more remixes with this setup. And once I get off my a$$ I'll make some original b-more joints (instead of remixing into a b-more song).
AMF 4:34 AM - 19 October, 2007
And u don't need the roland or the mpc to do it.
DJ Sniffles 4:39 AM - 19 October, 2007
i have protools LE, reason 3, ummmm...trigger finger, axiom-49, recycle, soundforge, acid, and i dont have the actual triton rack, i have the triton refill, which was like on like 2 dvd's. and i have a shit load of refills that a group of friends and i all shared...

thing is....i really dont know how to use the software all too much. hahaha i taught myself but i could read a book.

well...juss reason. i know all the other softwares pretty good.

i get lost trying to automate and set up sequences
AMF 4:48 AM - 19 October, 2007
Right now I'm trying to figure out a comfort zone with using reason rewired into protools. Once I get comfortable with that I'll be killing the beats then. I used to make beats all the time. At this point I'm just remixing slow bpm songs into bmore tracks. Then taking those to parties and playing them their.
DJ Sniffles 4:50 AM - 19 October, 2007
yea...i'm newbish when it comes to stuff like that.... i wish i knew how to do that shit, but when i read the books, that shit starts sounding like a foreign language
digital_steve 5:13 AM - 19 October, 2007
Quote:
for a mac? i'd like to hear what everyone's using. Thanks!

whatever you buy and spend the time learning it
that's the best software for everyone
DJ MIC MARVELOUS 7:25 PM - 19 October, 2007
Quote:
i wanna make my own b-more tracks hahaha

damn i didnt know b-more tracks stretched all the way to Washington St. thats whats up

all about the samples buddy

<<Bmore>>

-Marvelous
a-swift 8:22 PM - 19 October, 2007
Reason doesn't do audio. Midi only, but it does it very well. Pro-tools is a solid all around application that will do midi and audio, although it lacks in the midi area. Logic is great all around for midi and audio but some programs do midi better, like Reason. But "rewire" let's you use Reason inside of Logic. That's my setup right now. Logic to bring everything together but using Reason also.

If you're working with sounds that you're not making, you have to have a solid performing app for audio. Logic can just about do it all (although pro tools might have a slight edge for audio).

Plus Logic is really, REALLY cheap and doesn't lock you to a specific audio interface like pro tools does.

My vote: Logic

but add Reason to for it's better parts.
DJ Sniffles 8:23 PM - 19 October, 2007
Quote:
Reason doesn't do audio. Midi only, but it does it very well. Pro-tools is a solid all around application that will do midi and audio, although it lacks in the midi area. Logic is great all around for midi and audio but some programs do midi better, like Reason. But "rewire" let's you use Reason inside of Logic. That's my setup right now. Logic to bring everything together but using Reason also.

If you're working with sounds that you're not making, you have to have a solid performing app for audio. Logic can just about do it all (although pro tools might have a slight edge for audio).

Plus Logic is really, REALLY cheap and doesn't lock you to a specific audio interface like pro tools does.

DJ Sniffles 8:25 PM - 19 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

recycle ur samples into rewire so u can chop them up to each key...like an mpc. then work the project and rewire into protools..... I wish it was this simple
dj cubicle 8:25 PM - 19 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

www.rolandus.com

protools 002
reason 3
mpc2000xl
triton le

And you definitely can make some b-more with this setup. U just have to have the drum sample ("think") for it and you're off and rollin'. I've made a few b-more remixes with this setup. And once I get off my a$$ I'll make some original b-more joints (instead of remixing into a b-more song).

aight, here's how it's going down. i'm buying the beer and you're teaching me how to use all that ish.
a-swift 8:27 PM - 19 October, 2007
i skip the mpc and just go reason with an akai mpd24. that's how a poor man gets down
DJ Michael Basic 8:31 PM - 19 October, 2007
Hey swift...I've been debating learning Logic (I know I know it means buying a mac) to make house tracks...I'm hearing that most of the top house producers are using Logic to create tracks (many are using ableton for remixes but Logic for from scratch tracks)

You think you could give me a lesson on the basics (pun intended) of Logic sometime if I rolled out there?
dj_soo 8:36 PM - 19 October, 2007
if all you want to make are mashups then go Ableton. It's great for straight production too, but even better if used in conjunction with Logic or ProTools.

Honestly, it's not what you use, it's how you use it tho...
a-swift 9:09 PM - 19 October, 2007
Quote:
Hey swift...I've been debating learning Logic (I know I know it means buying a mac) to make house tracks...I'm hearing that most of the top house producers are using Logic to create tracks (many are using ableton for remixes but Logic for from scratch tracks)

You think you could give me a lesson on the basics (pun intended) of Logic sometime if I rolled out there?

if you look at the logic pro pages on apple.com, you'd be surprised at the number of edm artists that are using logic for their ENTIRE production. i'm talking about everything all the up to and including mastering. dudes like BT and a bunch of other cats i never heard of.

logic was not designed to be a performance tool like ableton, so it will never be as cool as ableton for doing remixes of existing material, but it's a monster for doing tracks from scratch. very complete indeed.

any sunday you want to come down, i'd spend as much time as you had available. hell, i'll even load up one of the old macs with logic and you borrow it and take it back to the basic lab and become one with it.
DJ Michael Basic 9:34 PM - 19 October, 2007
That's dope swift...I'll hit you up when I get back from Orlando.
djnvs 9:51 PM - 19 October, 2007
Quote:

Redrum uses wav samples... I have all my drum samples saved as wav...and never had a problem using them in redrum.
a-swift 10:15 PM - 19 October, 2007
i think we just agreed with eachother and you didnt even know it
a-swift 10:28 PM - 19 October, 2007
michael, i like these guys too:

www.logicprohelp.com

this is one of the cost money ones but i've gone to all the free ones and i always come away with a little more knowledge, well worth the time.

the main guy who runs all those events, david, he's also the author of the apple training book for logic. but he brings in some producers who are pretty accomplished sometimes.
AMF 10:49 PM - 20 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.rolandus.com

protools 002
reason 3
mpc2000xl
triton le

aight, here's how it's going down. i'm buying the beer and you're teaching me how to use all that ish.

Werd Cube. Juss lemme know when u wanna hookup.
sfcraiger 10:58 PM - 20 October, 2007
ive been using cool edit pro for 10 years thanks to peter quistgard
DJ Sniffles 11:01 PM - 20 October, 2007
im about to take a class on reason here in new york
DJ Sniffles 9:10 PM - 21 October, 2007
Anyone check out the new Reason 4.0???? They really did a good job on this one. Only $129 to registered users of Reason 3.0
dj shadow from detroit 9:47 PM - 21 October, 2007
i been using cool edit pro for a month im not liking it at all.

im gonna go back to cubase sx.
djnvs 10:18 PM - 21 October, 2007
I know people that swear by cool edit and audition.... but I don't like it... especially for editing... I would rather use soundforge for that.
digital_steve 11:46 PM - 21 October, 2007
Quote:

Using what the 'top' people use isn't going to make any difference to your tracks
There are plenty of tunes released that are made on obscure programs as well
It's what -you- know, not what someone else is using
pick a program and BUY it (if you outlay the cash you're much more likely to spend the time learning it inside and out) and then you'll have the best program for you... regardless of if it's a massive protools HD rig or a freeware tracker.
a-swift 11:53 PM - 21 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Using what the 'top' people use isn't going to make any difference to your tracks
There are plenty of tunes released that are made on obscure programs as well
It's what -you- know, not what someone else is using
pick a program and BUY it (if you outlay the cash you're much more likely to spend the time learning it inside and out) and then you'll have the best program for you... regardless of if it's a massive protools HD rig or a freeware tracker.

i think you just made his point for him. yeah, people use obscure programs but they're just that,.. not as popular. if he were considering using something obscure, chances are he's not going to get a full day of help from one of his friends. popular stuff has advantages.
DJ Michael Basic 12:29 AM - 22 October, 2007
Yea, money isn't really an issue...I wanna try something out before I buy it. I'd hate to go and buy a mac and logic when I don't like the way it works.

Usually though, there's a reason a program becomes "popular" for a certain genre of production.
dj shadow from detroit 12:57 AM - 22 October, 2007
my good friend uses logic and a mac he likes it alot.

but he had to buy pro tools also because all the major studios use pro tools. ( so he can use his projects where ever they have pro tools) for mastering.

logic is easier.but your better off getting pro tools and a mbox for $300.00 to be honest.
a-swift 2:23 AM - 22 October, 2007
my point again, every studio has protools so it makes a lot of sense to learn something that's "popular"
dj shadow from detroit 2:33 AM - 22 October, 2007
yea i agree.
so far pro tools is standard.
digital_steve 3:12 AM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
my point again, every studio has protools so it makes a lot of sense to learn something that's "popular"

if he's writing and producing EDM then chances are his studio will be his laptop and whatever monitors he buys
unless people are doing multi track recording then buying a pro tools rig might be a bit of overkill

michael basic - you can use any program to write any type of music mate... don't get caught up in the "this top producer uses this, so i have to use it" just try some demo stuff out and see what fits for you. as i said before, people make tunes with freeware programs right up to hundred thousand dollar rigs... it's more about good sound in = good sound out
don't shell out for a mac and a program when you've already got a PC that you can demo software on.
Give propellerheads' reason a go if you're new into it... that's a great program to start having a look at.
DJ Overpour 5:23 AM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:

LOLOLOL Good ol Peter hooked me up back in the day, hes a good dood (no homo)
sfcraiger 6:26 AM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I didnt know he existed. I think everyone used his name and serial to register because it was posted up in the newsgroups.
DJ Overpour 10:04 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I didnt know he existed. I think everyone used his name and serial to register because it was posted up in the newsgroups.

Yeah I have no clue who he is either, but hes alright by me (no homo)