Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

SMART SYNC ON SCRATCH LIVE

deebest 5:51 AM - 23 November, 2011
Serato SmartSync on SCRATCH LIVE like they have on itch will be great
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:12 PM - 25 November, 2011
Or atleast for the sampler............
djjoefresh 7:15 AM - 29 November, 2011
For the SP-6, yes. For everything else, no thanks.
DJ ROC HOUND 3:13 AM - 6 December, 2011
+1

it is done perfectly for Itch so please do it for SL!
David Vicuña 3:00 AM - 7 December, 2011
Come on please

We Serato people are starting to look like idiots without that button in place. Right now sync is changin the way people play in the electronic music scene - i've seen that, as i played with many infamous djs in the last years.
I learnt with turntables, now i play with cdjs and i do fast & almost perfect beatmatching, that is not the question. And I am also an absolute fan of serato sound, it sounds more musical and warm to me than traktor, that i see as a more commercial biased, and less well done thing than scratch live is.

But i am starting to think that i am missing some posibilities without that sync. So please, do not delay it any more! Or please, release a "sync" version of Serato software so people can choose if have such an abominable feature in it. It seems absolutely stupid to have it in itch and not in scratch live.

I like the human, not-so-perfect beatmatching because for me, it absolutely brings "life" and transmit stamina to my crowd. But i definitely like to have the option to do it in other way if i want to !
Evon 2:02 PM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:
Come on please

We Serato people are starting to look like idiots without that button in place. Right now sync is changin the way people play in the electronic music scene - i've seen that, as i played with many infamous djs in the last years.
I learnt with turntables, now i play with cdjs and i do fast & almost perfect beatmatching, that is not the question. And I am also an absolute fan of serato sound, it sounds more musical and warm to me than traktor, that i see as a more commercial biased, and less well done thing than scratch live is.

But i am starting to think that i am missing some posibilities without that sync. So please, do not delay it any more! Or please, release a "sync" version of Serato software so people can choose if have such an abominable feature in it. It seems absolutely stupid to have it in itch and not in scratch live.

I like the human, not-so-perfect beatmatching because for me, it absolutely brings "life" and transmit stamina to my crowd. But i definitely like to have the option to do it in other way if i want to !

I agree on this. Serato need some sort of sync in the sampleplayer or the 3rd deck to keep up with traktor for edm. I havent seen a edm dj using Serato now for a very long time.
Jpoole 5:48 PM - 13 December, 2011
It seems absolutely stupid to have it in itch and not in scratch live!
djandyb86 2:49 PM - 14 December, 2011
i totally disagree.. and it will never happen anyway. SL1 was originally designed to play records and be as true to the original form as possible. The sample players etc are nice distractions but the original native vibe is there. If you want to go down the autobeatgrid route etc, use itch. It is great for it. I have both, sl1 for live sets out, twitch controller for small bars/clubs, podcasts and radio shows. I don't think blending all the products together is needed.
Jpoole 4:56 PM - 14 December, 2011
Your entitled to your opinion... However for someone who has been doing this for 24 years and is passing along a system to my kid to get him into it... Why would I want to purchase yet another system (Itch) when the system(s) I currently own (SL3 &SL4) could simply update and provide their customer with what they request. (seems like alot of customers want this... read above)
David Vicuña 12:47 AM - 7 January, 2012
Ok then please, please, release an ITCH that i can control with external timecode. I like to use turntables.

I will not buy SERATO anymore if this feature is still denied to us.

I. e. for my radio program it is much more practical to have a sync so you can focus on what you are saying and still have proper beatmatching.

And when you play for many hours, beatmatching is annoying. You would not loose the original feeling just for having a sync button, as long as you can use it or not.
DjFuentes82 11:30 PM - 8 January, 2012
Quote:
i totally disagree.. and it will never happen anyway. SL1 was originally designed to play records and be as true to the original form as possible. The sample players etc are nice distractions but the original native vibe is there. If you want to go down the autobeatgrid route etc, use itch. It is great for it. I have both, sl1 for live sets out, twitch controller for small bars/clubs, podcasts and radio shows. I don't think blending all the products together is needed.

+1
The beauty of djing comes from the process within it. I own Itch as well but wouldnt wanna see Sync in SSL.
Ward 8:18 PM - 19 January, 2012
If you use cue point, loops, etc you have already have departed from being a purest.

Give a novice every bell and whistle you can think of, and see what he does with the crowd. if he plays crap, I don't care how smooth the mixes are.

Having the instinct read and rock the floor matters more than anything. I've rocked a crowd with Winamp and a simple cross fade plugin.

My vote is add SYNC. Time to Evolve, or get left behind.
djpeach 12:03 AM - 20 January, 2012
Quote:
I've rocked a crowd with Winamp and a simple cross fade plugin.

What a quote!
djpeach 12:04 AM - 20 January, 2012
Quote:

+1
henryb 3:21 AM - 15 March, 2012
Ok, for real now guys... After vinyl came cds, after cds came cdrs, then the napster p2p era that destroyed the music industry, then virtual djing, next who knows... No matter how you look at it, today is today and you can't get left behind. Simple as that.

I've had the sl1, then the sl3, now the sl4 - and also use the pioneer ddj s1 for itch. No matter what I always used to say about "real djing" being about doing it yourself, there's no denying that sync saves you SO much time and with this time you can do other things to the music and get even better & more impressive results. For those "romantic" djs who don't want to use sync... well... TURN SYNC OFF for cryin' out loud!! LOL - I mean why does it's existence bother you?? Just don't use it!!
For that matter, you can even use itch & a ddj controller with sync TURNED OFF and the djing will be back to "manual"... Even though, as you realize on your own, you're not really on manual-mode anyway if you're using cue points and loops (like our friend Ward said above). So please stop nagging and don't help the Serato guys get left behind traktor in this game!

Serato rules!!! C'mon guys MOVE IT!!! (pretty please...) :)

ps. Tell your friends at Pioneer not to forget a booth-out and an extra 2 channel faders in the ddj s2!!! :)
Edo 10:27 AM - 3 April, 2012
Quote:
No matter what I always used to say about "real djing" being about doing it yourself, there's no denying that sync saves you SO much time and with this time you can do other things to the music and get even better & more impressive results. For those "romantic" djs who don't want to use sync... well... TURN SYNC OFF for cryin' out loud!! LOL - I mean why does it's existence bother you?? Just don't use it!!

+1
I do routines, juggles, scratches and so on during my sets... why wasting time on doing basic beatmatching? If you don't wanna use it, simply just don't push the button.
therealbradpitch 11:46 AM - 3 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
No matter what I always used to say about "real djing" being about doing it yourself, there's no denying that sync saves you SO much time and with this time you can do other things to the music and get even better & more impressive results. For those "romantic" djs who don't want to use sync... well... TURN SYNC OFF for cryin' out loud!! LOL - I mean why does it's existence bother you?? Just don't use it!!
+1

I do routines, juggles, scratches and so on during my sets... why wasting time on doing basic beatmatching? If you don't wanna use it, simply just don't push the button.

+1
Nathan Looney 2:54 AM - 4 April, 2012
I want a do my laundry button:). So therefore I could continue to mix without having to put on a 15 minute song to start a load of wash:). It could happen!
Edo 1:13 PM - 4 April, 2012
I want a da a funny joke button. So therefore I could make jokes without even thinking to do a funny one by myself.
Edo 1:23 PM - 4 April, 2012
By the way, Dj Shiftee (2x DMC world champ), Dj Craze (3x DMC World Champ) and Dj A-trak (DMC World champ as well) use Sync, all of them in a perspective that tries to improve their sets by doing tricks, filtering, applying effects instead of just beatmatching.

My opinion is simple: give people the opportunity whether to use it or not. I love Serato GUI, I love how it sounds, I love Rane mixers... I don't want to switch to Traktor for one button.
djpeach 11:52 PM - 4 April, 2012
+1

I love serato for the ease of use, layout, reliability and customer service. Loop rolls are also a pretty nifty function. BUT, I have been seriously considering a switch for some period of time for the use of sync and also the ability to skip forward/backwards by given amount of bars. Having said that, I would not switch to traktor for one button.
AL.HK 10:24 AM - 9 April, 2012
+ 1

If Itch has it, why not SLL? Users can decide to use it or not. To Serato, perhaps it's more about keeping the product competitive. At the end of the day, it is these features that customers decide on which DVS to purchase.
Jpoole 5:23 PM - 27 August, 2012
no word... sad
BERTO 4:44 PM - 28 August, 2012
Quote:
I want a do my laundry button:). So therefore I could continue to mix without having to put on a 15 minute song to start a load of wash:). It could happen!

I justput laundry in this made me lol
Decibel Outlaw 2:59 AM - 29 August, 2012
Simple, do what you are capable of and maitain the integrity of what we all aspire to be, the links to the souls of the crowd we wish to move plain and simple, practice and master your chit! Stop looking for the garbage routes to accomplish the true feats in our craft. Practice and practice some more, then drop some cd's, bring back the mixtapes (real mixes) like back in the day. Claim your fame and dont get clowned in the end for taking steroids etc........ yanno...........damn
JordanWHO 6:39 PM - 17 September, 2012
Serato needs to catch up and add a beat grid/sync function. I'd even pay extra for it. I've been DJing over ten years and it's got nothing to do with being able to beat match or not. It's just an extra feature we should have by now.
icb 8:14 AM - 18 September, 2012
Funny how much crying there is for auto sync and stupid excuses about how it give you time to do something more .. bla bla

Most of the DJs who wanna "do something more" actually destroys their sets with overusing of effects samples and so on. That excuse is so fucking lame.

But main point is, how nobody actually sees why serato don't wanna add some of the features. SSL is "vinyl emulation software". Sync is not where they want SSL to go. You have ITCH for that. Traktor on the other hand is something different. It can be vinyl emulation software or not (it is not task-specific as serato make their software). You want sync, you have to switch to ITCH.

Having said that, I vote for sync on SP-6, as it can be more useful than it is now (sampler itself) and it doesn't interfere with the company's agenda.

And if they happen to add sync in SSL I wouldn't mind, but I don't see it coming. Simple as that.
JordanWHO 10:10 AM - 18 September, 2012
I would use itch but who wants to go out and buy one of those shitty controllers? Itch should at lease support CDJ2000s.
icb 11:29 AM - 18 September, 2012
Quote:
I would use itch but who wants to go out and buy one of those shitty controllers? Itch should at lease support CDJ2000s.

I'm just saying why it won't happen. Serato has obligation towards hardware manufacturers. If they make SSL all in one package as Traktor does, nobody would buy Itch hardware and those hardware manufacturers would lose money.... and they are partners with Serato as Rane is partner for SSL. They won't kill one product to put all of it in next one.

That's just business decision.
JordanWHO 12:12 PM - 18 September, 2012
I get that.... But a business decision that will make a lot of people give said business to NI.
icb 12:38 PM - 18 September, 2012
Quote:
I get that.... But a business decision that will make a lot of people give said business to NI.

Possibly.... some will but not all. For example I value most serato's library management, it's simple yet effective GUI, and simplicity of use compared to Traktor which is completely opposed.

Heck even Rane's hardware is top notch (I never had any problem with SL1, while I read a ton of problems with Traktor Audio 6 on NI forums.).

I tried several times to switch to Traktor (they are cheaper and by a lot - only thing that's on NI side - Rane hardware is just expensive, but maybe rightfully so), but I always return to Serato. Maybe I'm just used to it and can't take a switch.

Also Serato and Rane support are until now top notch. As far as I saw, NI's support is just bad. Even some support posts are being deleted from their forum. I mean wtf is that ?

That said, I'm happy with serato and won't make a switch just due to sync. There is too much good things in this camp to give it all away for one lousy sync option. Only thing that is needed, hardware needs to become a bit cheaper. Hell, it's more than 2 times expensive than NI system. That's not good.

my 2 cents.
Dazel 9:01 PM - 19 September, 2012
Funny how people said that they need sync for edm music

Come on, mix one track at 128 bpm with a 129 bmp takes a couple a seconds
DJ Yoni 2:28 PM - 25 September, 2012
Im for the sync to come to serato ssl, it's not a matter of being a "real" dj or not. When I started in the late 90's with a dual deck cd player, bpm counters just came out. That was considered cheating then and you weren't an official dj if you used them. Now, bpm counters are standards in even the shitiest pieces of equipment. To teach my brother, I blocked the bpm display to develope his ear better. Having said that, I feel that once you master that skill, you should have the option of sync because it just saves you time. I've used sync with traktor and many times, it would be off a little and I would have to compensate, stuff real djs do! The option to have sync is very good, and in the current dj market where even pioneers have made it a standard, sync is required!
Mode' 2:09 AM - 26 September, 2012
There are plenty of options for software with a sync button...one of the beautiful things about Scratch Live is the fact that is does emulate vinyl so brilliantly and it's not about being a "purist" it's about your craft...part of that craft is taking two songs and fitting them together utilizing some skill and imagination...Most of the Festival guys are playing pre made sets created in Ableton anyway so they are using a production tool to perform the beat matching in that environment (i.e. DeadMau5 interview We all press play... google if you haven't read it)
One of the main reasons I choose to use Scratch Live and SL 1200's is that everyone that knows anything about what I am doing knows that I am doing it myself not through the use of some automation...And as far as "mastering the skill" I have been trying to do that for over 10 years and learn something new almost every gig...
DJ Wali Gz 3:44 AM - 26 September, 2012
I've gotten the lecture from older DJ's about using sync, but its already "cheating" if u have a BPM count right next to the song!...all you have to do is kno how to do simple math to turn a pitch fader 2 notches and SSL gives you color coded kicks and snares...instead of just using a simple button to press that saves you 15 seconds at the most
Mode' 3:48 AM - 26 September, 2012
Umm..."Cheating" by using technology to find out the structure of a song is not really the same as pressing a button...
DJ Wali Gz 3:55 AM - 26 September, 2012
you've got finding and mixing the right song in nicely still in the equation. you still suck if u manually match a song with another one that doesnt flow with the last. like i said if you a 95bpm song and a 97bpm song ur inital thought is to move the pitch about 2 notches and then tweak it, its an easy step that can be fastrouted when u have the numbers in front of ur face already. you should be against the bpm poppin up if you gonna be against a sync. original dj's didnt have that to work off of!
ps auto sync is technology as well
Mode' 4:11 AM - 26 September, 2012
Hey I am in no way against the Sync button and as I said there are plenty of options that offer syncing so it's not as if there is a lack of opportunity to integrate it into your rig through the use of software or even the new CDJ has a freaking sync button...I am just saying that one of the attractive things to me about Scratch Live is that you have to actually know how to play to use it...No software can replace the ability to read and program a room so sync won't make you good if you don't have those skills but it does lower the barrier to entry a tremendous amount...If guitars had a play themselves button then we would all be Slash...
AKIEM 4:48 AM - 27 September, 2012
for the life of me, I still do not understand why CDJ/SSL users want sync. If you add sync the only thing the CDJ will be used for is ONE single start button.

ridiculous
lowtek 4:07 PM - 27 September, 2012
no no no. no thanks!!
DJ Yoni 6:52 AM - 15 October, 2012
Listen, if your against sync because you for want it or because there are other options that provide it, that's your opinion. I like serato, IMO better than traktor ( and especially better than vdj) but for what I believe our dj community can accomplish creativity without the constraints of beat matching is something remarkable. Top name djs are even using pre-recorded sets at gigs and festivals. I personally don't agree with them but at the end of the day, THEY are considered the top djs while the purists are always overlooked because we are doing things that have already been done for the past 30 years. We can use a bit of technology to push us to the next level, all the while having an option to disable the sync feature whenever we feel like reaching out to our purist roots. Till today, I have never analyzed any tracks in serato cause I only beat match by ear, but I want to start using more samples and effects in my sets so sync would just save me massive time!!!
DJ Yoni 6:54 AM - 15 October, 2012
Quote:
for the life of me, I still do not understand why CDJ/SSL users want sync. If you add sync the only thing the CDJ will be used for is ONE single start button.

ridiculous

Cdjs already have the sync button. The feature is not as simple as pressing a button cause all tracks have to be analyzed then quantized. This is all just to better utilize the on board effects of the mixer or mixing with more than two decks.
AKIEM 7:29 AM - 15 October, 2012
Quote:
Top name djs are even using pre-recorded sets at gigs and festivals.

so then you REALLY dont need a sync button!

Quote:
Quote:

ridiculous

Cdjs already have the sync button. The feature is not as simple as pressing a button cause all tracks have to be analyzed then quantized. This is all just to better utilize the on board effects of the mixer or mixing with more than two decks.

what Im saying is if you override the pitch, you are then using the CDJ for ONE button.
icb 4:17 PM - 16 October, 2012
Quote:
Listen, if your against sync because you for want it or because there are other options that provide it, that's your opinion. I like serato, IMO better than traktor ( and especially better than vdj) but for what I believe our dj community can accomplish creativity without the constraints of beat matching is something remarkable. Top name djs are even using pre-recorded sets at gigs and festivals. I personally don't agree with them but at the end of the day, THEY are considered the top djs while the purists are always overlooked because we are doing things that have already been done for the past 30 years. We can use a bit of technology to push us to the next level, all the while having an option to disable the sync feature whenever we feel like reaching out to our purist roots.[b]Till today, I have never analyzed any tracks in serato cause I only beat match by ear, but I want to start using more samples and effects in my sets so sync would just save me massive time![b]!!

Learn how to mix and you can use samples and effects without need for any massive time while beatmatching.
DJ Yoni 6:02 PM - 16 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Listen, if your against sync because you for want it or because there are other options that provide it, that's your opinion. I like serato, IMO better than traktor ( and especially better than vdj) but for what I believe our dj community can accomplish creativity without the constraints of beat matching is something remarkable. Top name djs are even using pre-recorded sets at gigs and festivals. I personally don't agree with them but at the end of the day, THEY are considered the top djs while the purists are always overlooked because we are doing things that have already been done for the past 30 years. We can use a bit of technology to push us to the next level, all the while having an option to disable the sync feature whenever we feel like reaching out to our purist roots.[b]Till today, I have never analyzed any tracks in serato cause I only beat match by ear, but I want to start using more samples and effects in my sets so sync would just save me massive time![b]!!

Learn how to mix and you can use samples and effects without need for any massive time while beatmatching.

Hey Icb, I bet your great at your craft, but y are you against progress. And telling me to learn how to mix, I probably get much more gigs than you at higher pay. Go F a goat!!
AKIEM 6:09 PM - 16 October, 2012
why is this feature always called "progress"

whats so futuristic about it?
Mode' 6:38 PM - 16 October, 2012
When I first started to play professionally using vinyl two 1200's and a board I always knew that there was no way any fool in the club could jump behind them and even have rudimentary skills...I like using software that still keeps some of the integrity of the craft to it...If you wanna sync as I said there are plenty of software applications and hardware that do that for you...As for me I will mix my own shit thanks...
DJ Yoni 7:56 PM - 16 October, 2012
Quote:
When I first started to play professionally using vinyl two 1200's and a board I always knew that there was no way any fool in the club could jump behind them and even have rudimentary skills...I like using software that still keeps some of the integrity of the craft to it...If you wanna sync as I said there are plenty of software applications and hardware that do that for you...As for me I will mix my own shit thanks...

really didn't think about it that way, but you have a point. Anyone with some technical knowledge could probably figure out how to play around and navigate the software, but its bigger than that. Not every will know what to do if they just come up from the crowd, but the ones that spent some money on a controller, learns the software of those sync programs, and downloads some torrented music can call themselves a dj and i guess that's what you're getting at.
Personally, I love serato, especially for its file manegement, I just feel that when I'm doing a wedding or some corporate event, I never get into it becuase of all the shitty music they want me to play, so i kinda don't have the patience. When i do a lounge or small club, I controll the music and really get into it. guess i need 2 sets of software for each type of job!
DJ Yoni 7:57 PM - 16 October, 2012
Quote:

The feature itself is not what's considered "progress" but the increased creativity that you could bring to your sets. There's still a lot of things that we will learn as djs as time goes on!!
icb 8:30 PM - 16 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey Icb, I bet your great at your craft, but y are you against progress. And telling me to learn how to mix, I probably get much more gigs than you at higher pay. Go F a goat!!

That was sincere post from my side: telling you how you can beatmatch and still use samples and efx. I do it all the time. Why the hate ?
AKIEM 9:11 PM - 16 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

The feature itself is not what's considered "progress" but the increased creativity that you could bring to your sets. There's still a lot of things that we will learn as djs as time goes on!!

any videos - Ive yet to see it
(outside of stuff better done with a multi-track)
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:00 PM - 16 October, 2012
Lmmfao at this whole thread!!
BERTO 10:08 PM - 16 October, 2012
Whats wrong with sliding pitch up and down yo?! Its not hard to beatmatch....
Mode' 1:27 AM - 17 October, 2012
I use the Bridge in live shows extensively and yet still have time to beatmatch my own songs so the excuse that you need more time to work the effects is some lame shit...The only redeeming factor is that no one has come up with a sync button for harmonic mixing...
AKIEM 3:05 AM - 17 October, 2012
^ trust thats next.

like I have been saying - there is no difference between asking fo sync and asking for ANY other function where the computer will be doing something for you. In the end there will be no argument against complete automations.
Jdaddyaz 6:39 AM - 24 October, 2012
I am all for it being added to the SP-6. In addition adding a loop roll function to the SP-6 so that you can set up layered mixes live. This would defiantly add a unique side to people's sets, and thus make them more interesting.
Mode' 6:43 AM - 24 October, 2012
Indeed Sync should be available for the SP-6...I currently only use it for drops due to not being able to beat match and have to use Ableton to include Acapella's....
Panotaker 2:06 PM - 9 November, 2012
So what is the final answer on this. Is scratch live going to get Sync or not. Everybody else has it now so what's the big deal. It's the 21 century, get with the program. I have heard all the arguments. The truth is, if you suck at DJing, you are still going to suck with Sync, you are just going to suck on beat. So turn it on already. Put a beta version out and see how many people download it.
DJ Twingo 10:39 PM - 9 November, 2012
SERATO DJ
Our best feature set for all‑in‑one controllers ?

TTM 57 is a all‑in‑one controller ! no Numark, Pioneer, Denon, Reloop or Vestax

Why no support for Serato DJ and smartSync?

TTM 57 (Serato & Rane) is a Homeware !!!

!!! Why no support for Serato DJ and Sync !!!
lil vito 12:09 AM - 10 November, 2012
Hrmm...
I don't want anny type of auto sync.
Cant stand the thought...

However, if the decision is ever made to implement it, could I please request that when auto sync is engaged, the whole screen changes from grey to pink?

Thank you for your consideration...
DJ Twingo 12:23 AM - 10 November, 2012
from Panotaker
Quote:
So what is the final answer on this. ... Put a beta version out and see how many people download it.

i think all ...
BERTO 2:47 AM - 11 November, 2012
For sp6 it only makes sense
DJ Yoni 4:32 AM - 11 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That was sincere post from my side: telling you how you can beatmatch and still use samples and efx. I do it all the time. Why the hate ?

Sorry man, no hate, I just feel that serato will be sought after by only scratch dj's and will be losing ground to the other guys who, IMO are more edm music oriented. People who use traktor like the fact that you aren't limited to a certain number of native controllers. But I digress, I still love serato and didn't mean to come off as a bitch. No hate, musc is a mission, not a competition!
Dj Kutt 925 11:58 AM - 20 November, 2012
I have been playing since 1997. I started on vinyl and still use 1200's to this day. I think every dj should know how to manually mix as its a fundamental part of Djing. Im not a fan of guys that learn via sync and cant mix without it......BUT.... sync or no sync... Im gonna mix the tracks anyway so for me I am not against using it. It opens the doors for me to do something different than what every Dj has been doing for the past 30 years. dropping acapella loops on a virtual deck while juggling and changing instrumentals and so on. Check out Dj Craze. He is a 5 time DMC champ and he uses sync. At the end of the day.... its about what comes out of the speakers. The crowd is in front of you... not in the booth.
Will Love 1:11 PM - 20 November, 2012
this OG post was from a year ago. and it was another post the year before that, and a year before that.....

I am so sick of SERATO.

Couldn't get a controller app to work so you made another one...?
Was itch so bad you had to start from ground zero?
All this effort should've gone into making your "FLAGSHIP" software better.

the new sample decks and effects WOULD/SHOULD be added to scratch.
im getting more and more agitated by the day.

I don't get it.
Serato DJ is a re skinned itch to look like serato scratch, and to top it all off, it gets the flag ship effects and sampler.

I have an SL 4. 899.99$
Pioneer djinabox 999.99$

what is wrong with this picture??????????????
The Otter Gang 2:37 AM - 7 December, 2012
+1 on the Autosync.

Serato need to step his game up or we are leaving it...

Years of asking for features that traktor included since day one...
giannis skartsiaris 4:02 AM - 7 December, 2012
+1 on the Autosync
DJ Yoni 6:57 AM - 7 December, 2012
After using serato more at events I have to say that I changed my mind on the auto sync thing. Keep that shit off serato. Much better without it!
Will Love 6:40 PM - 7 December, 2012
I'd be happy with the upgraded sp 6 and the new effects, but they're apparently too good for their flagship product #{
Dj Kutt 925 12:01 PM - 25 December, 2012
Why don't they just make ONE software that works for DVS and Controllers. Then they could just focus on one software. As far a sync goes.... I've been playing fo 15 years and can mix just fine without it.... BUT there are some things you can do with it that are fun. If its included and you are anti SYNC.... Then don't use it. I am NOT in favor of new Dj's NEEDING Sync to mix. But if you know how to mix and want to take it to the next level then so be it.
ninjagaijin 9:45 AM - 26 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

+1

because real hip hop djs can do that with beatmatching too.
DjBLiZ 6:03 PM - 27 December, 2012
i think if you really want SYNC then use Traktor other wise use Serato... i like how simple Serato is and HATE how traktor has soo much crap and the layout dose not look as clean.
DJ Twingo 7:18 PM - 27 December, 2012
all sync hater : use version 1.0 ... this is a simple serato version ! don't use cues, loops, bpm, autogain, efx and so on ... sync for sp6 is a little bit more feature, where is that problem?
DJMark 7:06 AM - 28 December, 2012
I still like the fact that if (clued-in) people see that you're using Scratch Live, they know there's no "sync" aka "substitution for DJ competence" built in.
AKIEM 8:47 AM - 28 December, 2012
Just play cd and pretend.
Addictive Music 3:24 AM - 1 January, 2013
No Sync.
Real Dj's Do Real Things!!!
Daniel Hills 5:33 AM - 3 January, 2013
I personally think that automix doesn't sound good at all. Nothing human about it. And the Bpm display that serato already has is more than enough to help you mix.

Yes I think u should put it on sampler. But leave the automix to the itch users please.
Addictive Music 5:43 AM - 3 January, 2013
I agree!!!
Daniel Hills 5:58 AM - 3 January, 2013
Haha.. i find it funny how all the people that are pro Auto Sync on all channels always start their comment with "I know how to beat match but......."

Yes we "auto sync haters", as DJ Twingo would say, can just simply press the button that turns off the auto sync.

But i dont want to own a software that has that option. It puts the serato DJ in the same class as virtual DJ users. It's the last software that doesn't have the option

What's the point using vinyls and Cdjs if all we are doing is pressing play?? It's nonsense.
kkking 9:21 AM - 3 January, 2013
+1
Addictive Music 6:31 PM - 3 January, 2013
+2
gfunk 3:42 PM - 16 January, 2013
+1 sync on sample player. incredible how many years this goes on for. have to wait so long for the slightest added feature. it will be decades before syncing the sample player happens.
DJ MisterG 5:29 PM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
+1 sync on sample player. incredible how many years this goes on for. have to wait so long for the slightest added feature. it will be decades before syncing the sample player happens.

plus1
midnightdesire 7:12 AM - 29 January, 2013
Read most of the comments and vote for serato scratch live to remain as is. No Sync. It's their pro version of software products and they have always been a top notch company with an excellent support team. One of the reasons they partnered with Rane products. If you want the sync feature buy a MIDI controller. I own a Rane 68, SL3 and DDJ-SX so I have the ability to use both Scratch Live and Serato DJ.

Been DJing for 34 years now practically every weekend and really couldn't give a rats ass that DJs owe us Sync are worlds champs. When it's all said and done your only as good as your last performance.

One last note beat mixing is and will always be a fundamental of a DJ and I find it fun and at the same time having a unique skill.

Question.. How would you feel if you paid say $150.00 to get a front roll set to see your favourite musical artist say a drummer, keyboard player ect. Hit the sync button and perform in front of you? I know I,d be disappointed. Same goes with DJs who are being paid top dollars. Without all the hype like a Hundred thousand watt speaker system, lighting and all the rest that goes into the show at the end of the day most of these cats are producers and are not as good as probably you or I.

Don't hate, appreciate

VDJ JoeMD
djmikec22 12:49 AM - 31 January, 2013
I've been a vinyl jock for 27 years now and have become lazy over the years. I believe SYNC would be a great augmentation and useful tool for our crafts evolution. I advocate SYNC for Scratch Live. Serato, please add this feature! Cheers - MC
BERTO 4:35 AM - 31 January, 2013
Imagine if you could with ( rane mixers) load song onto lets say deck A u then turn down low and mid, leaving high, you putninto sp6 and it only plays high! You could play some crazy house music adding layers to songs with an eq feature..
Imagine if you could with ( rane mixers) load song onto lets say deck A u then turn down low and mid, leaving high, you putninto sp6 and it only plays high! You could play some crazy house music adding layers to songs with an eq feature..
Sorry for 3x post (ipad)
Itchin_4_A_Scratch 3:31 PM - 31 January, 2013
We all want Sync for the SP-6 and some want it for the Decks.
The problem is without sync for the decks there's nothing to tell the SP what tempo to use.

Because we are talking abut DVS that is in most cases mixed on an external non-Rane mixer, Live would have no way of knowing which Deck is actually the active Deck.

So it seems to come down to even to just sync the SP would require sync or some means of tapping/telling the SP what tempo to play at.
AKIEM 4:50 PM - 31 January, 2013
1 SP6 synced to a single bpm, but not a deck.
2 SP6 synced to a deck, which is designated by a switch.
Itchin_4_A_Scratch 5:18 PM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:

You still would have to have it track something and as a reference that was affected by your beat matching.
You are pitching the DVS when mixing so it has to have a functional reference of tempo reference of tempo.
Remember we are talking about samples not just short one shot hits.

The last thing we would want is a method that requires too many gyrations to accomplish.
We need something quick and direct.

Even if we got something as simple as a Tap Tempo for each of the sample slots would be better than it is now.
They just need to implement something that it quick, simple and doesn't distract from your mixing.
AKIEM 5:28 PM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

You still would have to have it track something and as a reference that was affected by your beat matching.
You are pitching the DVS when mixing so it has to have a functional reference of tempo reference of tempo.
Remember we are talking about samples not just short one shot hits.

The last thing we would want is a method that requires too many gyrations to accomplish.
We need something quick and direct.

Even if we got something as simple as a Tap Tempo for each of the sample slots would be better than it is now.
They just need to implement something that it quick, simple and doesn't distract from your mixing.

Huh? A tap tempo seems like a big mess.

1. All sample slot bpms conform to slot1. If slot1 is empty then slot2 and so on. Very simple.

2. Sample slot1 conforms to deck1 or deck2, chosen by a switch. Very simple.

Taping a bpm out first, will not be accurate defeating the perpouse, secondly is hardly easier then just manually matching the bpms by number. What when you change pitch on a deck you are going to keep taping a button so the SP6 follows suit? Eh
Itchin_4_A_Scratch 5:46 PM - 31 January, 2013
I guess tap tempo is dependent on the human, never really understood how people say tap tempo buttons are inaccurate.

In it's current form there is no tempo basis what so ever so a tap tempo would still give you the means to be able to use a real sample in the SP.

It still goes back to my original point if they are going to add tempo sync to the SP they would first sync the decks to create the tempo reference.
Like it or not it's a catch22.
AKIEM 9:01 PM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:
I guess tap tempo is dependent on the human, never really understood how people say tap tempo buttons are inaccurate.

No one can consistently tap a bpm button down to the decimal more accurately then just copy+paste the actual number.

I would like to see any one tap a bpm accurately down to xx.xx

Quote:

In it's current form there is no tempo basis what so ever so a tap tempo would still give you the means to be able to use a real sample in the SP.

huh?
not sure what you mean - but you can individually adjust the bpm for samples in SP6

Quote:

It still goes back to my original point if they are going to add tempo sync to the SP they would first sync the decks to create the tempo reference.
Like it or not it's a catch22.

or just use ONE deck as the master for the SP6

there is no catch22
Itchin_4_A_Scratch 9:23 PM - 31 January, 2013
Akiem, wouldn't syncing to just one deck cause problems?
Say for instance you just played a song that was playing at 77 BPM and fade to the other deck.
If it's synced to the deck that just played a 77 BPM song and you load a song to that deck that is 85 BPM but you are going to pitch it to match the tempo of the current deck that is playing.
What would keep the SP from responding to the change in the deck that was previously at 77 BPM if the SP was playing?

Wouldn't it need some aspect of knowing what the active deck was so that the SP could play in conjunction with crossfades and transitions?
DJ Twingo 10:15 PM - 31 January, 2013
for example deck x is master.
sp6 sync all's too deck x.
done! or not?

... and i can use sp6 for my masterdeck track.

you know what I'm saying? bpm sync only!!!!!
AKIEM 6:55 AM - 1 February, 2013
Quote:
Akiem, wouldn't syncing to just one deck cause problems?

one deck at a time

Quote:

Say for instance you just played a song that was playing at 77 BPM and fade to the other deck.
If it's synced to the deck that just played a 77 BPM song and you load a song to that deck that is 85 BPM but you are going to pitch it to match the tempo of the current deck that is playing.
What would keep the SP from responding to the change in the deck that was previously at 77 BPM if the SP was playing?

like I said, a switch that would let you designate which deck the SP6 synced to (if it must be synced to a deck)

and I dont see how a bpm tapper would make transitioning any better

Quote:

Wouldn't it need some aspect of knowing what the active deck was so that the SP could play in conjunction with crossfades and transitions?

yup, a switch
Jason (Dj K-oZ) 8:41 AM - 14 March, 2013
I'm another long time Dj well I've been mixing fir around 8-9 years now I guess not that long. However I learnt the traditional way of beat matching by ear with all analogue turntables and mixers, but I'm having to agree that the option to auto sync SHOULD be in Serato Scratch. I would like the option to be able to use it or not to be denied the ability is just silly and a lot of Professional Dj's are moving to Traktor for the reason. The option would be a nice feature and if you want to continue to mix by ear then you don't have to use it, but for Serato to deny the option is ridiculous. I do think however that all beginner Dj's should be banned from auto sync and mixing from waveform. Serato should add the option but before you can use it you must beatmatch by ear a 5-6 song set. So another vote for the auto sync option for me.
kebzer 2:18 PM - 14 March, 2013
/rant start

How cute it is that users of DVS's argue against an auto-sync button feature, as not being "real" enough...Oh the irony.

How about all of you keeping-it-real-djs leave the rest of us with these features and you go back mixing normal vinyl only? That way you can have as much real mixing as you like. With all the needle skippings, pitch driftings and other cool things that come with it. Or maybe you have no clue what I'm talking about? Cause you seem so, from the way you comment against auto-sync.

/rant over

For the rest, please add this feature. I truly cannot understand anymore why SERATO insists so hard against such basic features.
Mr Wilks 12:57 PM - 16 March, 2013
Add it as a plugin.

Download it if you want it or leave it sat on Serato's servers if not.

I'm past caring now. For every one that wants it, one doesn't.

I'd love it on the SP-6 but if they do that then the architecture would already be in place to sync the decks. It seems silly to go 99% of the way and omit the line of code to put the sync button on the virtual decks. That would get people's back up more as sync is effectively in place, just not active.

Do it or don't do it. Traktors sales aren't harmed from its inclusion and Serato's aren't harmed for it's omission.
primus151 5:10 PM - 19 March, 2013
With auto-sync, I can finally get shmammered while mixing. Nothing like knocking back some brewskeez and not worrying about my beatmatching skills. It's about time, let's do this Serato!
primus151 5:48 PM - 20 March, 2013
Quote:
Add it as a plugin.

Download it if you want it or leave it sat on Serato's servers if not.

I'm past caring now. For every one that wants it, one doesn't.

I'd love it on the SP-6 but if they do that then the architecture would already be in place to sync the decks. It seems silly to go 99% of the way and omit the line of code to put the sync button on the virtual decks. That would get people's back up more as sync is effectively in place, just not active.

Do it or don't do it. Traktors sales aren't harmed from its inclusion and Serato's aren't harmed for it's omission.

+1 Couldn't agree more!
Stickem 8:23 PM - 20 March, 2013
Please dont ever ever ever put a "STINK" button on the Scratch Live... Leave it for the Midi controller people
The Funky Bunch 4:32 AM - 23 March, 2013
+1 for sync
UKSwagger 4:48 PM - 2 April, 2013
Has there every been an official response from Serato on this feature?

FWIW, I want it too. I used to be against, but I just can't see the point in not having it now.
eugguy 10:56 AM - 3 April, 2013
No for "styncing." Save it for the toy controllers and lazies. I'm going to go back and plug in my final scratch if this ever happens.
DJMark 5:11 AM - 10 April, 2013
OKAY so I'll go along with the idea of adding "Sync" to Scratch Live, but

ONLY IF all of the following are true:

1) the functionality is only available through a plug-in costing no less than $99 and protected by an authorization scheme;

AND

2) if activating that plug-in changes the color-scheme of the entire GUI in some unmistakable way. I personally suggest a nice bright pink color be used.

AND

3) if activating that plug-in inserts a 48dB/octave Butterworth highpass filter with a -3dB point of 48Hz into the signal path of all decks including the loop sampler.
JohnEG1985 10:50 PM - 10 April, 2013
Not sure why Serato and Rane put out this new line of expensive ass mixers for Scratch Live that can't compete with the basic functionality of non DVS software...
deejdave 3:37 AM - 11 April, 2013
Quote:
2) if activating that plug-in changes the color-scheme of the entire GUI in some unmistakable way. I personally suggest a nice bright pink color be used.

Absolutely agree with this. I am not for sync in any way but I do know it will bring much more revenue to the scratch live project being many "DJ's" need sync to "perform" and having these hordes of dime a dozen individuals can only benefit the big picture. I do agree that there should be a clear indication when the "DJ" is on autopilot. I know it seems a little unfair at first but on the flip-side think of how much criticism Scratch Live users will get as a whole when we are in the same boat as Traktor users. We officially lose the argument "Serato doesn't have that, You're thinking of Traktor or VDJ"
JohnEG1985 4:10 AM - 11 April, 2013
1)
Beat matching is easy. Sync doesn't improve beat matching. It improves all the things you do in a mix besides beat match, since you have more time to set levels, get the phrase correct, add effects, etc before your mix window hits.

2)
The most important thing about DJ'ing will always be song selection and phrasing. Beat matching is simply a step in a process to reach those two overarching goals. You guys can complain about dime-a-dozen dj's all you want, but if they can't master the art of picking the right song and dropping it at the right time in a high pressure environment, they will never encroach on an experienced dj's "turf".

I've been dj'ing for ~10 years and still have the SL1 i bought in '05. I can beat match any two beat-locked songs in around 10 seconds and can cut/juggle/mix whatever I want, but that doesn't mean shit. If i don't put in the work to stay on top of music trends and know every record in and out, whether it came out last week or in the last millennium, my brand depreciates. This is how the DJ business works, and it doesn't give a damn if serato has a sync button or not.

3)
There have always been scrub dj's trying to make it willing to dj for next to nothing for a shot to prove themselves. You grind it out in the trenches til you get a break. Sync buttons and controllers and DVS's don't have anything to do with it.
midnightdesire 6:34 PM - 11 April, 2013
Beginner DJ Sync = SeratoDJ, Advanced DJ no Sync = Serato Scratch Live
deejdave 1:08 AM - 12 April, 2013
@ JohnEG1985 - I'm not trying to be argumentative but what you are speaking of seems to be describing a great playlist creator i.e. a human jukebox which could be accomplished with a single ipod. Without the mixing (beat matching to be specific) that is all it is. I understand you may be able to beatmatch and like the convenience of not having to but there are many that DO NOT know how. To say sync buttons have nothing to do with it when beat matching is specifically what they do. You say sync doesn't improve beat matching...................... could that be because sync IS beat matching? Again this is not meant to be mean or anything Im just having difficulty seeing your side.

Also there are many DJ's that can rock a crowd without the crowd knowing a SINGLE song that is played as a matter of fact that is what some of the best DJ's in the world do. Obviously knowing your material is key but its what they do with those songs that makes the difference and mixing those tracks on beat is without a doubt the most important part and is the foundation of your transition as a whole.

That being said again I say why not include it in Serato to increase revenue for all who are for it & against it alike. We all win with more finance as it paves the way for future improvements as well as R&D. There should absolutely be some guidelines though as in a clear indication as to when its being used or not, an option to turn off completely as in a plugin, etc. Again these are just some ideas I have seen that I like and may not be the ultimate answer but I think it can be agreed that it IS a touchy subject and should be addressed accordingly so both sides can feel at home.
AKIEM 7:20 AM - 12 April, 2013
why not a completely automated system all you have to do is turn on?
deejdave 3:21 AM - 13 April, 2013
Listen I am not for it in the least but at least its a compromise. If the user wishes they should be able to configure their software as if nothing ever happened by not activating the plugin.
henryb 2:13 AM - 15 April, 2013
Guys i really cant see what the fuss is all about... Serato HAS to add a sync OPTION to scratch live, otherwise it's just behind other competitive softwares out there.
Being plain stubborn won't work. They'll just lose the game to the rest of the competition.

Now, for those, also stubborn, users who somehow think that adding a sync option, in some way makes scratch live a "toy" (like the controllers, as some may put it), why don't you just NOT USE IT?? I mean, you can play your set using a DDJ SX (or S1), EXACTLY the same way you are currently using sl - all you have to do is turn the sync option OFF!... That's why it's called an "option"!

It's just like DJs who played all their lives using records & turntables and were dissing "newer" DJs that were then using cds and cdjs... Sorry but things change & improve with time. Reading & rocking the crowd is what matters, and no sync OPTION, nor any other technological option, will do that for you. Show you're a better DJ than the next guy/girl by pleasing your crowd better than he/she does! THAT'S WHAT COUNTS.

And for those who say that it should be "clearly shown" (in a kind of tell-on-the-dj-because-he's-not-a-"real"-dj way), please get a grip. You didn't see some kind of notice that showed that "this dj is using hi-tech cue buttons on his cdjs" (as opposed to felt markings on a vinyl), and is therefore "not a real DJ", did you?? Life goes on, technology improves, and you're just going to have to prove you're a better DJ by pleasing the crowd "better", don't hide behind a lame excuse that the other guys are using toys, whereas you know how to beatmatch manually. That's not the point at all, and that's not what matters.

By the way, I am a guy who loved mixing better than other DJs I would hear in clubs, and took pride in it, however it's 2013 now, I'm not going to pretend it's still 1990 and diss advance in technology. The sync OPTION just saves you time since it matches tracks perfectly, and since that's taken care of, you have so much more time to do MUCH more other stuff while 2 or more tracks are playing simultaneously (looping, filtering, sampling et cetera et cetera)
deejdave 3:03 AM - 15 April, 2013
There are many more OPTIONS that can be added while we are at it to save even more time too. Song selection, Auto DJ, even auto FX. Let me guess that's different. Who decides though, you? Where does the line get drawn. Yes Im being sarcastic but the point remains. Just because something CAN be done doesnt mean it should. Just because others are doing something doesnt mean you HAVE to. This does not make them behind in any way. its a matter of preference. I think its safe to say serato has not added it because they don't want to not because they can't. I've heard the "gives you time to do other things to hone your mix" argument but as a whole I've just seen an increase in laziness, showboating, & anyone being able to DJ. I say add it & just have it as an option so it can be kept off. Things are changing I agree and some things are becoming OK that were not previously I also agree. However I also agree that all these things are adding up to reasons for many Pro's to eliminate software altogether and switch back to CDJ's only. If Serato keeps sync off their platform & adds the CD-2000 Nexus support then I will stay with them. If not I won't be using it anyways. I DO NOT consider myself stubborn (at least not with this) or a purist. I just want to keep the undisputed most important factor in mixing for myself. You are entitled to go with any automation you please. Some use Ableton that pretty much does it all for you. Traktor & VDJ being similar to each other in many ways are alternatives as well. Seems to me Serato's approach has worked thus far and I don't feel in any way that they are concerned with what others are doing. What is the point of having other options if you feel they should all be the same? To each his own but I think we can all agree it just because someone does not do what someone else is doing does not make them behind in any way. Is a manual transmission car behind an automatic transmission car? Many would say Automatic is better but guess who wins in a race?
AKIEM 4:22 AM - 15 April, 2013
Time to do "other things" - how about those "other things" get the automation button too?

sure you dont have to use it - BUT do any of us really want a software that does everything automatically?
UKSwagger 9:43 AM - 15 April, 2013
Must admit the reasons put forward by those against the option are laughable.

I don't see why it really needs saying, but I've been DJing since the early 90's. I've always been quicker and better at beatmatching than most.

So what though? It's a skill that I am quite happy to automate. You still need to know song structure etc to get it right. Just because there is an option there to choose sync still doesn't mean you have to use it. I've used Ableton sometimes, and the mixes are never as 'punchy' as a live beat match mix. If the option was in Scratch Live I still wouldn't use it a lot.

Doesn't mean I don't want the option though. Those that don't want it appear to just be relics clinging to some sort of past where beatmatching is somehow what sets them apart from the rest.

As I say, that is just laughable. The art of DJing has f all to do with being able to beatmatch, and if you think it does, you are seriously deluded.
AKIEM 4:09 PM - 15 April, 2013
Quote:
Must admit the reasons put forward by those against the option are laughable.

I don't see why it really needs saying, but I've been DJing since the early 90's. I've always been quicker and better at beatmatching than most.

So what though? It's a skill that I am quite happy to automate. You still need to know song structure etc to get it right. Just because there is an option there to choose sync still doesn't mean you have to use it. I've used Ableton sometimes, and the mixes are never as 'punchy' as a live beat match mix. If the option was in Scratch Live I still wouldn't use it a lot.

Doesn't mean I don't want the option though. Those that don't want it appear to just be relics clinging to some sort of past where beatmatching is somehow what sets them apart from the rest.

As I say, that is just laughable. The art of DJing has f all to do with being able to beatmatch, and if you think it does, you are seriously deluded.

Everyone against adding the feature KNOWS they are not being FORCED to use it.

Whats laughable is how many times that "point" is made.

We are actually talking about the ATOMIZATION of software previously designed for manual control. 'auto sync' is one single feature of several people are asking to be automated. Your list of "you still need to..." items are all items people are requesting to be automated.

Should the software be completely automated or should a line be drawn somewhere?

Calling people 'relics who live in the past' is just ignorant and blind to the discusion.
DJMark 9:58 PM - 15 April, 2013
I get the distinct impression that most of the people wanting "Sync" in Scratch Live don't even really understand the fundamental purpose of the software.

And if you don't understand the fundamental purpose of the software, you really don't deserve to have an opinion.
AKIEM 10:10 PM - 15 April, 2013
Beatmatch Live
DJMark 10:14 PM - 15 April, 2013
NoSkillsRequired Live.

Scratch Dead.
AKIEM 10:18 PM - 15 April, 2013
AutoDJ Live.
AKIEM 10:18 PM - 15 April, 2013
er dead
DJMark 10:21 PM - 15 April, 2013
Even A Dead Guy Can DJ Now (and have more time for creativity).

Auto-Sync. Auto-song-select. Auto DJ Hologram. Auto Facebook/Twitter/Instagram followers.
AKIEM 10:37 PM - 15 April, 2013
"DJ ______(insert dead guys name)"
DJMark 10:38 PM - 15 April, 2013
Larry Levan is the first name that popped into my head.

Pure unadulterated blasphemy in the context of this thread, of course.
nonaps 10:10 PM - 17 April, 2013
to all the sync button lovers:
just go and use traktor or virtual dj.
i'm considering of switching from traktor to serato BECAUSE serato has no sync button.
DJ Twingo 1:28 AM - 18 April, 2013
No advertising please!
Mighty Dragon Sounds 5:57 PM - 20 April, 2013
I'm late in this conversation... How do you beat match with Time Code???? I guess you would have to do it in internal mode?
Mighty Dragon Sounds 6:00 PM - 20 April, 2013
^^^^ Correction to my statement above..... How do you "AUTOSYNC" with timecode.
DJMark 11:25 PM - 20 April, 2013
Quote:
I get the distinct impression that most of the people wanting "Sync" in Scratch Live don't even really understand the fundamental purpose of the software.

That was what I was getting at when I said,

"I get the distinct impression that most of the people wanting "Sync" in Scratch Live don't even really understand the fundamental purpose of the software."
DJMark 11:26 PM - 20 April, 2013
LOL major quote fail there.

The quote in the above post should have been:

Quote:
Correction to my statement above..... How do you "AUTOSYNC" with timecode.
jhgjhjhg 2:42 PM - 22 April, 2013
For the more advanced hiphop DJ who has to cut a lot of track's and breaks very quickly he only as less then 5 to 10 seconds so think an auto sync should be a given, I was thinking of selling serato and getting traktor for this reason alone.

Make it happen serato, and give us the option to have more cue points 5 is no where near enough.
AKIEM 3:18 PM - 22 April, 2013
^ any video of what you are talking about?

(Not an advertisement)
nonaps 10:14 PM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
No advertising please!

my post was not meant to be advertising any software.
but since mainly SSL users are following this thread i wanted to add that from an outsider perspective (i use TSP) the non-existing sync function can look like a nice feature.
SonicSupreme 10:29 PM - 24 April, 2013
They need to add it. I've been dealing with a lot of dj booths with no monitors working and if I need to have those beats syncing automatically for me then I want that option. Also if i want to ride two tracks together and put crazy fx or add sound fx on top of that to "play" with the music then thats the option I want. Also why are the FX powered by Izotope given to the guys who didn't even make Serato what it is today...See this is my beef! This is what really gets to me LIKE WTF!!!----....Why are they (MIDI controller playing djs) getting all the latest additions to the software with 4 decks, auto sync and all when it was the guys using the Turntables and the Pioneer Cdjs that really made Serato the popular software it is today....SERIOUSLY! .....AGAIN---WTF!!!!????
SonicSupreme 10:36 PM - 24 April, 2013
Hey I apologize for the swearing but It just gets under my skin. It reminds me of the how Avid Pro-tools didn't want to add the features that all the great more affordable DAWS were offering then all of a sudden they want to add them when it was just too late.
djdomination 1:18 PM - 8 May, 2013
Quote:

i agree..no sync button only for sp-6 yes but anything else hell no lol
EvilAnimal 6:11 AM - 10 May, 2013
I Feel that a Sync function is necessary at this point in the ever changing DJ/Production art. Equipment has evolved and many so-called DJ's pack large venues only to play Ableton trigger pads. Serato may be holding off on the sync function in Scratch Live as an attempt to stay true to real DJing roots, but I see it as a creativity crippler. Sync on the sampler and decks would allow more time to create complex live remixes and less time would be spent going from source to source keeping multiple inputs aligned to the project bpm.
HandsomeRobDJ 10:36 PM - 10 May, 2013
As much as I want to pull DJ man cards and say learn to beat match on your own, or say the waveforms aren't enough assistance for you?... I'm going to have to cave. I don't need or encourage autosync, but... I want Serato to stay relevant more than I want to hate on pu$$y wanna be DJ's who need autosync.
deejdave 11:20 PM - 10 May, 2013
at this point I agree. at least it will create more revenue from the masses of "DJ Me2's" out there. I am just hopeful if this does happen it changes te color of the screen background while in auto sync mode. te thought of being associated with that makes me cringe. it's bad enough thy my cdj-2000 nexus's have the sync buttons.
deejdave 11:21 PM - 10 May, 2013
oh yeah and as for the "gaining time do other things and not have to worry about beat matching".............. duh!!
Panotaker 12:25 AM - 11 May, 2013
I don't see what the big deal is. Beginners are not gravitating to a vinyl setup, or Nexus players. They are mainly buying controllers, and cheap ones at that. Years ago, people started off on vinyl, but that is no longer the case. It cost thousands of dollars to get a decent vinyl setup today, if you don't already have one. It only cost 300 bux to get a decent controller. I personally don't see too many beginners going out and getting a vinyl setup, just so they can use sync in SSL. Sync is not plug and play either, you still have to beat grid your tracks correctly, or it doesn't work. And you can't beatgrid live drummer tracks, unless you do it in Abelton, and that is a whole other art. So put it in already. Pioneer did it, and people got over it already.
deejdave 12:40 AM - 11 May, 2013
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I have just learned to appreciate the caliber of DJ who shares the same angle as I do. I have come to the conclusion that having sync or not having it will not be the deciding factor in which DJ solutions I go with as it has nothing to do with me. To each his own.
DJ_T!TZ 2:49 AM - 13 May, 2013
it is going to be on there some day, might as well happen now..
djnico 10:23 AM - 14 May, 2013
+1 At least for the SP-6.
AKIEM 8:32 PM - 14 May, 2013
SP-6 fine

still dont see what the point is of overriding the pitch on turntables....

/end thread
(Barbra Striesand)
Mighty Dragon Sounds 2:29 AM - 15 May, 2013
You can drive a Stick Shift Sports car..... Or you can drive the Automatic version of it........

I'm sure most cultures would agree...... It looks cooler shifting gears with your hands and feet..... Not necessary with todays technology .....

But some things where just feel better manually done.
deejdave 2:37 AM - 15 May, 2013
The only difference is the stick shift (manual) sports car will beat the automatic version every time and the same applies with mixing. You also feel more connected to the music, have more control over the music, add human factor to the mix (as apposed to an algorithm doing the work), keep your honor intact (at least for me this is true), all while just flat out looking cooler. I say the last part because you can visually tell a DJ (very easily in fact) that is beat matching and one who isnt as the DJ who is looks way more involved.
AKIEM 5:03 AM - 15 May, 2013
yup - been using that analogy for some years
Dj D.ONE 6:19 AM - 24 May, 2013
You sync haters always come with the same bullcrap.. i mean.. so many people want it, i cant they have it? If you dont want it, turn it off. Thats a very selfish way of looking at things..
AKIEM 8:14 AM - 24 May, 2013
Why?

They can have it (on the systems that make sense)
Jason (Dj K-oZ) 9:29 AM - 24 May, 2013
I guess I'll add my 2 cents... I know everyone is asking for it. (J/K) Anyways I learned to mix oldschool 2 tables and a mixer on vinyl with no bpm counter or all the add stuff they have today. I did upgrade to Serato and I absotively love it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and here's mine. Should they add auto sync to Serato IMHO definitely to the SP-6 Sampler, but to the whole Scratch Live Software well here it is..... I don't care if they do. If Serato does that doesn't mean I now have to use it. It's not like if they add it to the software in a later update that Serato is going to have auto sync where it can't be turned on or off. And if they did add it great if they don't great. I think the option to have it is a smart move on Serato imo because right now they are giving the business to the people who do want it to Traktor. For the Purists out there I don't understand the logic about getting so upset to the idea of Serato adding this feature. How would it affect your life? Would you stop using Serato for adding this? If so that's silly and to get so upset at the idea is silly. If someone decides to use auto sync in Traktor is that somehow affecting you personally? If SSL added this feature and someone used it to do a gig would this personally affect you. Now to me I believe everyone should learn to beatmatch and mix/blend by ear. Not all the clubs have Traktor or an auto sync feature and if you showed up to a gig you'd be seriously screwed. Not to mention if somehow you had to mix by ear you wouldn't have to worry because you have the skills you need. But I don't see any reason not to add this feature especially to the Sampler. Now if I was to personally see someone use auto sync and then they couldn't mix by ear I would lose respect for them as a DJ but it still wouldn't personally affect the way I feel about Serato.
AKIEM 2:30 PM - 24 May, 2013
Did you know Serato has created a platform which has auto sync for the people tirelessly requesting it?

That platform is suited for it because it is not a DVS.
DJMark 11:31 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
You sync haters always come with the same bullcrap.. i mean.. so many people want it, i cant they have it? If you dont want it, turn it off. Thats a very selfish way of looking at things..

Why don't *you* stop being selfish and just buy one of the many other products that incorporates "sync"?

Not *every* product needs an idiot-mode.
diams 9:39 PM - 26 May, 2013
ha ha ha !! thinking like this is like : why audi would not have incorporate "ABS" in their car because mercedes and volkswagen already had it .... An "idiot mode" ... are u serious ? If u don t see what u could do with this , maybe it s not the same for every others peoples .
i spin vinyl since 96 , use serato since SL1 , and i m completly able to beatmatch very quickly . I have tried every soft with time coded vinyls and i m sure for me serato is the best .
But ..... since a couple of years i m really asking me if i would switch to traktor because of this sync mode . the reason why is , as a turntablist ( i think i can use this word to explain what i do with my turntables ) i think it could be very interresting to use this to add more creativity in my sets . Of course i don t support "djs" who use this and just press play .
no work behind that .... But i think WE have to make the difference between those guys and us . this sync has to be used as a "weapon" to help us stepin our game up .

ps : sorry for my english , i hope you understand the way i think .

peace
deejdave 6:01 AM - 27 May, 2013
If adding sync lead to actual creativity I would agree that it MAY have a place in Scratch Live. Unfortunately in most cases this is not so. I have heard the "creativity" argument from many people I know only to see true laziness when they made the switch to Traktor. I will admit Traktor has its uses as in the CDJ-2000 Nexus HID (it seems as though Traktor knows Serato is holding the OG DJ type down so they figure be at the front line with all the newest technology) which I wish Serato had but I do feel as much as it can provide creative opportunities it also pulls away from the users uniqueness with its automation.
DJMark 2:46 AM - 28 May, 2013
Quote:
i think it could be very interresting to use this to add more creativity in my sets

Not once, in the probably hundreds of times I've read this kind of comment, has anyone given any credible rationale for this position.

Quote:
this sync has to be used as a "weapon" to help us stepin our game up

You've got it backward. Adding an "IDIOT MODE" (and that is ALL "auto sync" really is) is not going to help DJ's build skills. If anything (as deejdave implies) idiot-mode software features probably tend to atrophy a DJ's actual "skill". I've seen it plenty of times myself also.

You want to "step your game up"? Practice on real records sometimes.

As I said earlier, there is actually real value in Scratch Live distinguishing itself from the many other software options offering "auto-sync" by pointedly NOT having "IDIOT MODE" in this software.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 5:12 AM - 28 May, 2013
Quote:

You've got it backward. Adding an "IDIOT MODE" (and that is ALL "auto sync" really is) is not going to help DJ's build skills. If anything (as deejdave implies) idiot-mode software features probably tend to atrophy a DJ's actual "skill". I've seen it plenty of times myself also.

If....... Serato decided to add SYNC to the Scratch Live software and call it "Idiot Mode" and make it so that once activated.... "IDIOT MODE" flashed across the bottom of the screen while it was activated......... And also made it a $99.00 dollar plug in that you had to purchase...... I wonder how many would go ahead and buy it..... lol
DJMark 6:06 AM - 28 May, 2013
Quote:
If....... Serato decided to add SYNC to the Scratch Live software and call it "Idiot Mode" and make it so that once activated.... "IDIOT MODE" flashed across the bottom of the screen while it was activated......... And also made it a $99.00 dollar plug in that you had to purchase...... I wonder how many would go ahead and buy it..... lol

I kind of had that same idea earlier in the thread.

But seriously...in the words of Aretha Franklin, "let's call the song exactly what it is..."

IDIOT MODE.
AKIEM 3:45 PM - 28 May, 2013
smart sync = dumb DJ
Mighty Dragon Sounds 7:18 PM - 28 May, 2013
Quote:
smart sync = dumb DJ

No wonder everyone on other forums think we are A-Holes.... lmao
AKIEM 8:23 PM - 28 May, 2013
Well it stand to reason if the computer is doing something smart, the DJ must not be.
deejdave 9:22 PM - 28 May, 2013
Exactly. I explained it perfectly this past weekend to someone that came up to ask about current gear. I had 2x cdj-2000 nexus's w DJM-900 nexus mixer and to the side I had my pioneer DDJ-SX. The nexus system I had hooked up via ethernet to a slower computer running Rekordbox and the DDJ-SX hooked up to a MacBook Pro. It was high performance hardware w the Nexus & high performance software with the DDJ-SX. The Nexus system gets the wows not the other way around for a number of reasons.

a.) They are visually better looking (more professional & flashy)

b.) I am physically doing more when I use them as I do not use the Sync on them and all beat matching is done by me as well as FX and samples.

c.) They are flagship Pioneer units and most people who enjoy EDM DJ's or not know what they are.

In the end its not about price or anything but for me a handcrafted (from the ground up) mix is just tops. I also feel i can achieve more while maintaining absolute control over everything while not being synced up anyways. Lastly its freakin boring using the DDJ-SX while on autopilot (call it what you will thats what we call it by me) so we avoid it. I feel the sync & automation comes with the territory because with controllers its all about ease. Ease of transport (it's small), ease of use (it has auto-sync & other automation), & ease of obtaining (they are cheap). All of these factors equal anyone can do it and leads to a million "DJ Me2's".

I think it took the release & success of Serato DJ for people to start truly appreciating SSL for what it is and what it's not. Call it what you will "Idiot Mode", "Dumb DJ", "Autopilot", etc. in the end I feel that it has no place in SSL.
DJMark 11:40 PM - 28 May, 2013
deejdave:

I wonder how option 3 would have gone over:

Two turntables, a Rane 57/61/62/68, and Scratch Live.

I do realize that Pioneer's aggressive marketing and product-placement have brainwashed some people, but...
deejdave 12:02 AM - 29 May, 2013
I am not sure if you are implying I have been influenced by pioneers aggressive marketing but I would hope not (as you have no idea who I am or what I'm about) but I'm sure it would have gone over fine. Turntables are fun to play with and I still do sometimes. I'm about firepower and effectiveness. The rest is just details. I simply have more (and by more I mean A LOT more) capabilities with my CDJ's over Turntables. This also has nothing to do with marketing or anything other than facts. Using the TT's also puts a lot of the weight back on the software end so I use my MacBook pro with them. Both TT's & CDJ's are great tools but I would say they are very different tools.

In my opinion These can be easily compared to cars and horsepower. Older muscle cars are fast but a newer car of the same caliber is faster while using less gas, having better handling, better brakes, safer, more features, etc. In the end the muscle car may be cooler to own but if you have to get to work everyday you're probably going to choose the newer car while saving the muscle car for weekend joyrides...................... again just my opinion and I am NOT saying this is the case for everyone.

I do ask one last question. If I am wrong in my description or if I am wrong in assuming the CDJ-2000 Nesus is the industry standard for a reason, what would you suggest as better media solution (obviously being in the nexus' class)
DJMark 12:05 AM - 29 May, 2013
Quote:
am not sure if you are implying I have been influenced by pioneers aggressive marketing

You were talking about "wows" presumably from people in attendance and therefore so was I.

Personally, I think $2,000-apiece CD players in 2013 to be used as glorified controllers is retarded, and I think Pioneer gear in general is comically over-rated, but I guess that's a whole other topic.
deejdave 1:02 AM - 29 May, 2013
Quote:
You were talking about "wows" presumably from people in attendance and therefore so was I.

That's what I figured but I was just making sure.

Quote:
but I guess that's a whole other topic.

Yes it is. Especially when the person it was said to already stated they use them with Rekordbox.
Dj D.ONE 1:33 AM - 29 May, 2013
DJ Craze 3x DMC Champ once said in twitter "Yes, i use Sync anyone want to test my mixing skills?"

I really dont understand why people keep discussing this.. Sync only makes it easy to beatmatch not easy to BE a GOOD DJ. A bad dj is still a bad dj even if he can easly beatmatch, and a good one is good regardless of what he uses.

Now if serato should or should not have SYNC? If most people wants it than yes, majority wins, a feature should not be ignore because a few SYNC haters feal like no one should have access to something they dont like. If serato ignores the majority of what the clients want they will move to semthing else. And thats whats happeing.. controllers are now rulling the world.. =( I dont want sync in my SSL, but it would not bother me AT ALL IF IT IS ADDED.
deejdave 2:17 AM - 29 May, 2013
Quote:
If serato ignores the majority of what the clients want they will move to semthing else. And thats whats happeing.. controllers are now rulling the world..

I thought this was why they released Serato DJ. It's not Serato ignoring its customers. It's Serato catering to both parties through different vessels. You may also notice thet there is a very different tune being sung about sync since Serato DJ's release. Controllers are in no way ruling the world............. not my world at least. I have both and I use the controller at low budget gigs/friends parties. When it comes time to impress the controller stays at home. If Controllers are ruling the world then someone also needs to tell the world's greatest DJ's.
Controllers are vastly popular because of their easiness as I said earlier. Ease of transport (it's small), ease of use (it has auto-sync & other automation), & ease of obtaining (they are cheap). Put the same price across the boards and see what would happen. I also would not roll over and die (at this point) if they added sync but I also in no way want it added nor would I use it.

In the end try to remember this. Serato has a successful product that has sync and has one that does not. There fore they have a hold on both sides of the fence. In what way would it be wise for them to alienate one side. They will not gain ANY new users as like you said yourself "controllers are now rulling the world" but they would absolutely lose customers that they already have.
DJMark 2:21 AM - 29 May, 2013
The people who really want (or, more accurately, need) IDIOT-MODE are already using something else that includes IDIOT-MODE.

Therefore, there's no logical rationale for Scratch Live to include IDIOT-MODE.

Then there's that whole thing about what relevance IDIOT-MODE would even have in software that's designed for timecode-control.

Those who want IDIOT-MODE have a plethora of other options available.

I explicitly want software that explicitly does not have (is publicly known to not have) an IDIOT-MODE.

I don't want "tyranny of a majority" (most likely, an imagined majority anyway) to TAKE SOMETHING AWAY that I want.

IDIOT-MODE would be a slap in the face to the entire original purpose of Scratch Live.
AKIEM 4:12 PM - 29 May, 2013
Quote:
DJ Craze 3x DMC Champ once said in twitter "Yes, i use Sync anyone want to test my mixing skills?"

I really dont understand why people keep discussing this.. Sync only makes it easy to beatmatch not easy to BE a GOOD DJ. A bad dj is still a bad dj even if he can easly beatmatch, and a good one is good regardless of what he uses.

Now if serato should or should not have SYNC? If most people wants it than yes, majority wins, a feature should not be ignore because a few SYNC haters feal like no one should have access to something they dont like. If serato ignores the majority of what the clients want they will move to semthing else. And thats whats happeing.. controllers are now rulling the world.. =( I dont want sync in my SSL, but it would not bother me AT ALL IF IT IS ADDED.

Where are you getting you information about most people want it?

Where are the people who NEED sync moving too?

Why would you want to override the turntables? Are you going to use SSL in internal mode?
42deluxe 11:48 PM - 31 May, 2013
Guys, you are funny. This is a discussion about sync. Not about storing nuclear waste under your desk. :D

I give a shit on a sync button in Serato. If I want to create live mashups, I use Traktor for the iPad. The perfect tool for this. I'd never use Traktor Scratch, but with Traktor on the iPad, NI made a big thing for performing with electronic music. It's not a substitute but a nice addition.

I mostly play House and Electro tunes on Serato. I own a Xone 42 but I use my TTs Battle Style. Best of both worlds.

I like long transitions with some effects. For this, you need a perfect beatmatching. If you know your music, you can do beatmatching in less than 10 seconds. No problem.

But.. ;)

If you ever played in a club with worn out 1210s and voltage variation, you'd appreciate a more precise alternative for beatmatching.

I don't say that there's a need for a sync button. But if you don't want to scratch electronic music (I guess only people with a one-digit IQ would think about this) and you have to play with crap, you'll think about a supporting feature. E.g. a feature to fix the actual bpm to avoid fluctuations. Or a preference to reduce sensitivy. Doesn't matter.

The truth is: Serato gives a shit about making SSL better. The benefit is stability, simplicity and reliability. The disadvantage is that an ambitious DJ has no opportunities to refine his skills and go new ways in creativity. This does NOT concern a sync feature in first sight. This concerns crappy effects, no integration with other controllers for manipulating samples, effects or loops (Yes, there are some. A little.), etc.

If you are glad with scratching the same to tracks together in the same way 'til the end of your life.. That's your decision.

I go ahead in my live performance. Serato doesn't.
AKIEM 12:00 AM - 1 June, 2013
this is silly - If you have turntables, but do not want all the mechanical fluctuations and turn on a sync button - what will the turntables be used for? they are being overridden and not used. Just use internal mode and match numbers OR use Serato DJ - it has the sync button.
DJMark 12:03 AM - 1 June, 2013
Quote:
I give a shit on a sync button in Serato.

Then you should have saved yourself (and everyone else) the trouble of many badly-written paragraphs.
deejdave 4:14 AM - 1 June, 2013
Quote:
I give a shit on a sync button in Serato. If I want to create live mashups, I use Traktor for the iPad. The perfect tool for this. I'd never use Traktor Scratch, but with Traktor on the iPad, NI made a big thing for performing with electronic music. It's not a substitute but a nice addition.

Yeah I use Traktor for my Iphone too................... on my lunch break at work.

Quote:
The disadvantage is that an ambitious DJ has no opportunities to refine his skills

Are you saying adding sync will provide opportunities to refine skills?

Quote:
Guys, you are funny. This is a discussion about sync. Not about storing nuclear waste under your desk. :D

There is now nuclear waste on my laptop screen............ thanks for that.
DJMark 10:22 AM - 1 June, 2013
Quote:

They ALL say that...

what they all really mean is:

"It will help me fake it so people think I have refined skills/stepped up my game/become more creative/etc. etc. etc./blah blah blah...".

Just Say No To IDIOT-MODE
deejdave 12:47 AM - 2 June, 2013
Quote:

They ALL say that...

what they all really mean is:

"It will help me fake it so people think I have refined skills/stepped up my game/become more creative/etc. etc. etc./blah blah blah...".

Absolutely but the sentence in itself is flawed. How does one gain opportunity to refine skills when the feature requested will remove the need for the most basic skill needed to DJ?
Quote:
Just Say No To IDIOT-MODE

I can see the T-shirt now.....................
42deluxe 7:21 AM - 7 June, 2013
Quote:

This means, you don't use loops, samples and effects? No dicers? These tools are faking too. Because you use them for things you sometimes can't do without them. If I use my dicers to jump to a cue point, instead of needle dropping, I'm faking. Right? If I use my dicers for loops, I'm faking. Right?

Both are tools for making my life easier. Is this permitted or am I a fake idiot DJ?

You assume that I want to replace beatmatching skills with a sync button. That's wrong. Totally wrong.

BTW: In my opinion the most basic skill needed by a DJ is selecting the right tracks. I have the ambition to do beatmatching manually. I do this and I can do this. But that's not essential. That's your own demand. I've heard many Traktor DJs without beatmatching skills who made a great performance. The audience gives a shit on beatmatching skills.

Again: My ambition is to do beatmatching by hand. Even with a sync button. I've said that before but obviously you did not read this.

If you worry about all the other DJs out there and the newcomers, talk to them. I do this job without a sync button for years and I will do it further on if there will be a sync button.

But some kind of live mixes/mashups are not possible without a 100% beat match. And if I say 100%, I don't mean 99,9% or 100,1%.

Using internal mode for this is a practicable way but not the ideal solution.

Quote:
If you have turntables, but do not want all the mechanical fluctuations and turn on a sync button - what will the turntables be used for?

For 98% of the rest of the gig. ;)

The best solution for me would be a pair of 1210s with digital controlled pitch control with less than 0,1% fluctuation. Even the MK5 can't accomplish this.

And no.. I don't want to use a crappy DJ controller and I don't want to use CD-Decks. I want my 1210s with the ability to do a 100% match.

100% is my ambition. As long as this is not possible with a pair of 1210s, a sync button is the most practicable way.

Call me idiot, fake DJ or scumbag. I don't care. I know my way of performing, you don't. If you judge me as a result of wrong assumptions, you should think about wearing an idiot shirt. ;)
DJMark 8:43 AM - 7 June, 2013
Quote:
This means, you don't use loops, samples and effects? No dicers? These tools are faking too.

Wrong.
AKIEM 10:21 AM - 7 June, 2013
All personal and shit...
Mighty Dragon Sounds 11:58 PM - 7 June, 2013
BULLET BULLET BULLET!!! SHOTS FIRED SHOTS FIRED!!!!!!!! CALL THE POLICE!!!!!!
DJMark 11:59 PM - 7 June, 2013
More like a very limp noodle.
DJ_T!TZ 6:12 PM - 21 June, 2013
check this out too.

serato.com
DJ Em Nice 4:33 PM - 24 June, 2013
I read the entire thread and did not see anyone from Serato's camp comment on the sync feature for SSL which would imply that they are fine with not adding it to their flagship software and anyone wanting that feature can get their other software. IMO.

Someone posted that DJ is a mission not a competition, or something like that. I disagree. Its absolutely a competition if this is your business.

With the release of these cheap controllers with software included anyone and everyone is claiming to be a "DJ" and that is an inclusive comment to those ONLY using a laptop. True story: a groom wet go up to the DJ and a for the mic. The DJ thought the groom was going to make a toast. The groom fired the DJ and ask his guess if anyone was a DJ. 7 of his guess were DJs. LOL.
DJ Em Nice 4:36 PM - 24 June, 2013
Big fingured on a small phone.
The groom went up to the DJ and ask for the mic...
deejdave 8:36 PM - 24 June, 2013
This is exactlyy what I am talking about with showing up to a wedding with just a laptop and even IMO with a controller. I got inot a bit of a tiff a while back with a group of individuals here first claiming that Itch was a great program and they never had any issues (should be your first clue they were off their rockers) and second that there is no issue with doing weddings with a controller. Well now there is a prime example of what can happen and here is another. Now here it is a year later I bought my GF a ring that I gave to her two weeks ago and now we are heavily into wedding planning. We are at about 20K for the whole wedding and the DJ is about 2K which is a little more than I charge myself but here is the point...................... you'd better believe that I am going to be super critical and for all those who say its no big deal using sync and traktor, and what have you................. case in point IT'S NOT HAPPENING AT MY WEDDING!! I directly relate the skill level and pride with how the DJ company will do as a whole and like clockwork it never fails. Finding a DJ with laptops that utilizes programs that use sync is hit or miss as in they may be good, they may not be. I will stand by this though: Every DJ (successful DJ that is) that does his/her own mixes puts all of themselves into the mix and the end product is a true art form that cannot be duplicated by any algorithms or anything.

In the end small operation/bedroom DJ/hobbyist/amateur have fun and I wish you all luck with your controllers & sync but in many cases you will not be welcomed and will lose out because of it. Just remember Pro DJ's get married too and when they do you can guarantee they will be going all out on the entertainment and without meeting certain requirements you just can't be part of it.

Controllers just are not for weddings and/or large performances and with that goes sync I--------------------------M------------------------------O!!!!
DJ Em Nice 8:57 PM - 24 June, 2013
^^^
+1.

I learned to DJ using Technics, belt driven turntables until I was able to afford the 1200's. I don't have my original 1200's but I do have a pair that I purchased back in '98. Picked up a pair of Denon 3900's, for the vinyl feel and use those on occasions. I'm teaching my son using vinyls and once I feel he understand and respect the craft then we will move onto to SSL.

If you are rocking the crowd with a legit setup them to eachs own. My personal preference is NOT to use sync.
jprime 9:43 PM - 24 June, 2013
I want 2 main decks open, not synced at all. I want to be able to drop whatever open format stuff at will, scratch, accas, etc. Legit setup for sure.

But I sure would ALSO enjoy 2 decks I can sync up, mash up some loops, etc alongside my 2 open format decks.

Best of both worlds. Would allow for some dope live remixing now and then, and keep a couple decks free for proper mixin.

</.02 >
deejdave 10:27 PM - 24 June, 2013
I can honestly say that adding sync to the SP-6 would not be a tragedy and as a matter of fact I would probably utilize it. I just truly feel the main mix (eg the main decks) should not be synced in any way. Keep the mix 100% human. As in without the human present it can't be done. I have to clarify this because there are many geniuses that come up with the cue points, loops, & other features which are in no way similar. I'm not against technology. If that were the case I would be pissed that Pioneer has upgraded their screens throughout the years, media format, added wireless, etc. I am however a little bothered that they added......................... SYNC!!! In this case the damage is done and it is what it is. When it comes to my Serato I am very much against SYNC and very much for adding the f-ing HID for CDJ-2000 Nexus but tha's another topic altogether.

Keep sync away from the decks is all I ask. Luckily it seems Serato's lack of acknowledgment pretty much says one of two things 1.)They will never be adding Sync to SSL or 2.) What they do to SSL is irrelevant because they will be merging SSl with DJ.
That would be a win i suppose because that would probably mean the nexus' would work with DJ but I would much rather have SSL with my Nexus' (especially with the bridge) and DJ with my DDJ-SX.
Kasadrian 10:44 PM - 24 June, 2013
tbh i'm seriously thinking about selling my serato sl and getting into traktor. I feel like ssl is being left behind, not just by traktor, but by serato's other products aswell. Why can't I use my sl box with itch? and all it's new features, and serato dj? whereas in traktor i can use turntables and midi controllers etc. As a side note, the stuff i've read on here about ssl being all about vinyl emulation is pure nonsense, cue points? auto loops? waveform display? and all this "real dj" talk is just egotistical bullshit. I've been djing for 20 years with vinyl, i can do the manual beatmatching with ease, but there are genuine uses for a sync button and other features. I feel that serato are more interested in supporting their new software and midi controller affiliates than their customers, its just not on in my opinion.
Kasadrian 10:50 PM - 24 June, 2013
Quote:
Keep sync away from the decks is all I ask.

You would have the option to turn it OFF!! It's not going to make the world end!!
deejdave 11:17 PM - 24 June, 2013
Quote:
tbh i'm seriously thinking about selling my serato sl and getting into traktor.

Did you ever think of having both? I do have Traktor as well as Serato DJ but I leave the toys at home when its time for the big jobs. Well TBH Traktor is only in my life at the present time due to SSL not supporting HID for the CDJ-2000 Nexus'. The day they do add the HID it's good-bye Traktor. Even if you don't agree with the reasons please don't asssume it has anything to do with an ego. Pride and honor are two things that are in very short supply these days and it sounds corny but I have a lot of both. I NEVER want to anyone to be able to say they can do exactly what I can do on their phone. That is exactly what is happening with the new Traktor DJ app which does almost everything that Traktor Pro does with just as much talent needed to run it.
DJ Em Nice 3:36 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:
I NEVER want to anyone to be able to say they can do exactly what I can do on their phone.

REAL TALK

Quote:
That is exactly what is happening with the new Traktor DJ app which does almost everything that Traktor Pro does with just as much talent needed to run it.

Got the djay app on my phone. Rocked a party last night with it...NOT! Any app created for the DJ business should just compliment the DJ software not duplicate it and make it be the main source of control. That's NOT being a true DJ. IMO.
diams 4:07 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:
I read the entire thread and did not see anyone from Serato's camp comment on the sync feature for SSL which would imply that they are fine with not adding it to their flagship software and anyone wanting that feature can get their other software. IMO.

this is not good for the bizness ...
it s like they dont give a f... about us
DJ Em Nice 4:19 PM - 25 June, 2013
Maybe. However, I don't view it that way.
AKIEM 5:40 PM - 25 June, 2013
Of course "they" don't give a fuck about us. If they could they would turn every single person on the planet into a DJ to sell apps too.
DJ Em Nice 5:52 PM - 25 June, 2013
From the business side of things they are almost there. Like I said, 7 people said they were DJ's at a reception, right... Next you'll see granny at the church rocking the laptop...tucci...
AKIEM 5:59 PM - 25 June, 2013
Yup, and we helped it be done.
djecek 7:25 PM - 25 June, 2013
Anyone who buys Serato Scratch Live knows how to beatmatch. Sync mode is feature that is a must in these days DVS, and it should be Implemented because Serato stays behind Traktor Scratch, Cross and so on.
Competitor should always look on the market, if everyone has a sync mode Serato should have it also. It is not the matter of good/bad dj practice, it is feature that may decide to switch to competitor rather then still waiting for that little updates like sync mode and midi out.
deejdave 8:37 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Orrrrr the realistic view they know that implementing Sync would be "not good for bizness". They would gain NO new users but they would lose MANY current users. How would this be good business. Most noobs that start go with laptops and controllers. This means they are also going other software that has SYNC because it's easier to learn (that is if they learn it at all being most never learn beat-matching nowadays).

Serato NEVER had SYNC while Traktor pretty much always had SYNC as far as I know. This brings up the question why did these "DJ's" who out of nowhere want SYNC start with Serato in the first place.

Quote:
Anyone who buys Serato Scratch Live knows how to beatmatch. Sync mode is feature that is a must in these days DVS, and it should be Implemented because Serato stays behind Traktor Scratch, Cross and so on.
Competitor should always look on the market, if everyone has a sync mode Serato should have it also. It is not the matter of good/bad dj practice, it is feature that may decide to switch to competitor rather then still waiting for that little updates like sync mode and midi out.

You sound like a very unique person. Not a crowd follower at all. Because some people do something EVERYONE should???? Dare to be different huh? Who the hell calls adding SYNC an update?? LMAO. If it is a must for a DVS to have SYNC then why may I as does the DVS software used by more than all others combined (Remember Traktor Pro is not a DVS......... Traktor Scratch is) not have it and with that fact in mind don't you think their philosophies and tactics are what lead them there. I am guessing none of this will make sense to you but trust me it's basic business and in may cases it pays to be different.
djecek 9:21 PM - 25 June, 2013
Different doesn't always mean better. That's one.
I've tired Tractor Scratch Pro and there is sync function, and it works. So first check then say. That's two.
DJMark 9:31 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:
Competitor should always look on the market, if everyone has a sync mode Serato should have it also.

Traktor (and some other software) incorporates obnoxious copy-protection measures (known to occasionally hiccup on a user at the worst possible time), therefore Serato should incorporate that into Scratch Live.

/DefectiveLogic

If you want "IDIOT-MODE", just use some other software.

Annoying how lowest-common-denominator type people sometimes aggressively try to make *EVERYTHING* as stupid as they are. Seriously, just accept that some things are above and beyond your level and move on already.
DJ Em Nice 9:34 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:

Annoying how lowest-common-denominator type people sometimes aggressively try to make *EVERYTHING* as stupid as they are. Seriously, just accept that some things are above and beyond your level and move on already.

LMFAO...almost pist my pants.
Straight talk....
deejdave 11:45 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:
Different doesn't always mean better. That's one.
I've tired Tractor Scratch Pro and there is sync function, and it works. So first check then say. That's two.

It seems to be working for Serato, unless you are saying otherwise - That's ONE - YES TraKKKtor Scratch has SYNC. So does cross, so does VDJ but none of these are the number one DVS program are they? Did you actually think more people use Traktor Scratch than Serato? LOL - That's hysterically TWO!!!

After all that is said about Traktor (by the world let alone by me) this guy thinks it may have slipped my mind that Traktor has SYNC!!!! LMAO
diams 12:03 AM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Orrrrr the realistic view they know that implementing Sync would be "not good for bizness". They would gain NO new users but they would lose MANY current users. How would this be good business. Most noobs that start go with laptops and controllers. This means they are also going other software that has SYNC because it's easier to learn (that is if they learn it at all being most never learn beat-matching nowadays).

Serato NEVER had SYNC while Traktor pretty much always had SYNC as far as I know. This brings up the question why did these "DJ's" who out of nowhere want SYNC start with Serato in the first place.

ha ha just let me laugh !!!! they are already losin many current users .
i m a dj in Cannes in the french riviera , there is a lot of big club and a lot of djs here and what i see since one or two year is that everyone is slowly switchin to traktor , everywhere around my city ....
for good or bad reason but it s real , they are losin users ...
deejdave 12:17 AM - 26 June, 2013
The same conversations are going on at NI saying EVERYONE is switching to the DDJ-SX. It's just not the case. What players are they using at these big clubs may I ask?
Kasadrian 3:56 AM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Even if you don't agree with the reasons please don't asssume it has anything to do with an ego. Pride and honor are two things that are in very short supply these days and it sounds corny but I have a lot of both.

Very good point!
diams 5:51 AM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
What players are they using at these big clubs may I ask?

cdj and turntables
DJMark 5:06 PM - 26 June, 2013
I just installed Rane 62 mixers in the last couple months at both of the places I have weekly residencies at.

There was zero discussion of Traktor or any other fake-DJ-enabling software at either place.
deejdave 7:29 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
What players are they using at these big clubs may I ask?

cdj and turntables

I figured this much. Do you know which ones?
deejdave 7:51 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
I just installed Rane 62 mixers in the last couple months at both of the places I have weekly residencies at.

There was zero discussion of Traktor or any other fake-DJ-enabling software at either place.

Oh it's out there. There is no denying. It is also common to find Traktor at many big name clubs but what I'm getting at with diams is most people who don't have the top of the line player (CDJ-2000 Nexus) don't realize that people are temporarily switching to Traktor because Serato dropped the ball by not supporting them with native HID. People are using Traktor because they have to is pretty much what I'm getting at. Many like me will switch right back the minute Serato decides to become part of an industry standard setup again. It has nothing to do with SYNC (in most cases), It has nothing to do with effect(in most cases), and it has nothing to do with design (in most cases). It's because Traktor works with the Nexus system and Serato does not.

So in the end Is Serato forcing people out the door? YES but not because of SYNC. People started with Serato knowing they would never add it. They also most likely knew that Traktor and VDJ had it from the start so why did they not choose one of them to begin with?
&Midge 10:36 AM - 3 July, 2013
Surely it's all about having fun and enjoying yourself? Who cares how you rock the floor as long as the people your playing to are feeling the music and as long you have a smile on your face. Sync or no sync, it really doesn't matter!

When all is said and done the visual waveform aids in Serato + the BMP counters means beat matching is no effort at the best of times. If sync was added you wouldn't have to use it in REL mode. The purists can still use ABS mode. The people that wanted to use it could! What's the big deal? It takes more than sync to be a good DJ!

The people who currently want a sync enabled product just don't buy scratch live and Serato and Rane are losing a slice of the market. Add it sooner rather than later! ;)

Personal I love watching DJ's play without sync. I love the point in the set when the music start slipping out of time and the cans go back on and look of concentration as the DJ puts things right. If sync was added I doubt I'd use it, but to have it as an option would be nice.

What every side of the booth your on just be passionate, have fun and enjoy yourself, that's all that really matters! ;)
DJMark 10:34 PM - 3 July, 2013
^ meaningless meaninglessness.
djecek 9:31 PM - 5 July, 2013
Sorry, but some of you are retarded, i think. Why you so hate this f***ing SYNC. Let it be. It will be your personal choice - you'll be using it or not.
Don't be so pathetic saying "Serato is the one because it has no sync, and only real deejays beatmach manualy ....", for me it sounds piteously. If you think so you are immature or idiot. No doubt.
AKIEM 9:36 PM - 5 July, 2013
Quote:
Sorry, but some of you are retarded, i think. Why you so hate this f***ing SYNC. Let it be. It will be your personal choice - you'll be using it or not.
Don't be so pathetic saying "Serato is the one because it has no sync, and only real deejays beatmach manualy ....", for me it sounds piteously. If you think so you are immature or idiot. No doubt.

Just wondering - what do you think the job of a DJ is?
djecek 9:41 PM - 5 July, 2013
if you hear that have to sync you can, by let's make this clear - nobody using abacus these days.
Guvnor 10:22 PM - 5 July, 2013
Ok Serato, it's pretty clear from this thread (which is now almost 2 years old) that "sync" is an option that a lot of users would like to see.

I would suggest that it is incorporated into scratch live with an option to "enable/disable" so that users can choose to use it or not.
Even Pioneer have introduced sync to their latest cdj 2000 nexus decks.

My main concern is why has this thread been ignored by serato for almost 2 years? It's pretty obvious to me that a lot of users want this function.
AKIEM 11:18 PM - 5 July, 2013
Quote:
if you hear that have to sync you can, by let's make this clear - nobody using abacus these days.

That, is far from clear.
AKIEM 11:31 PM - 5 July, 2013
Quote:
Ok Serato, it's pretty clear from this thread (which is now almost 2 years old) that "sync" is an option that a lot of users would like to see.

I would suggest that it is incorporated into scratch live with an option to "enable/disable" so that users can choose to use it or not.

My main concern is why has this thread been ignored by serato for almost 2 years? It's pretty obvious to me that a lot of users want this function.

When ScratchLIVE was introduced part of the selling point Serato used was the software "did not DJ for you"

Since, Serato has developed several options which actually do shit for you. The focus of SSL remains DVS. Adding sync button which OVERRIDES the core function does not much sense make.

The exact same uninformed points are made and answered over and over again in this thread. No doubt they will continue.
deejdave 12:01 AM - 6 July, 2013
Quote:

This thread has not been ignored. It has been examined, analyzed and it seems they are doing the right thing. They probably look at content and source (^^^^ Just look at exhibit A, B, & C above ^^^^) of the content, weight it out, then make an executive decision who they should be listening to. They also probably have opinions of their own which don't seem to matching up to yours.

There are only a few asking for it, there are more who are against it, and there are the majority who use Serato every day and don't ask for any change. Wouldn't it be safe to assume they are on the same side as the ones who are against it..................... otherwise they would be asking for a change, NO?!?!

Back to the source comment I made above think about this. If you were lost would you listen to a few people (who you can barely understand) saying to take a shortcut with reasons like everyone is going that way or would you listen to the majority who are saying go the correct way with sound reasons that are very legible & credible?
Guvnor 1:24 AM - 6 July, 2013
I personally don't dj using sync, prefer to do it the old skool way. If i wanted to DJ using sync i'd just use VirtualDJ :) but where's the fun in that!

If there was an option added to ScratchLive for auto sync, i would set it to "disable", but i have read so many posts here about people going to Traktor because of the sync.

Surely a sync option would be a smart business move for Serato.
AKIEM 1:59 AM - 6 July, 2013
Quote:

Surely a sync option would be a smart business move for Serato.

serato.com
DJMark 3:44 AM - 6 July, 2013
Quote:
The exact same uninformed points are made and answered over and over again in this thread. No doubt they will continue.

It would be amusing if it all wasn't so unrelentingly dull-witted.
Dj D.ONE 2:48 PM - 25 March, 2014
+1
ninjagaijin 7:34 AM - 10 October, 2014
Sad that now sync is a feature.
&Midge 8:05 AM - 10 October, 2014
it isn't on Scratch, and the DVS Sync for SDJ doesn't lock as it's only Simple Sync
Olee 6:12 PM - 30 March, 2016
+1 for sync with SP-6 on DVS