DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Silver or Black? What do you prefer?

jpresto 6:04 PM - 18 October, 2007
I've been using my silver 1200s for almost 8 years now. I bought my first one used for $300 bucks, then shortly after bought a brand new one for $729.

8 years later, I've had very successful DJ career and I've never had any major problems with them (except for some grounding issues that I've had with the used one, but fixed a long time ago).

I always considered myself 'Old School', because I had silver 12's. Nowadays, everyone has black. Lately, I've been yearning for the blacks...I don't know what it is, I guess I'm evolving.

I haven't looked at pricing on 12s ever since buying mine, so I was pretty surprised to see the Black 1210s going for $439 on DJ Deals.com. I'm considering selling my silvers for blacks.

I'm just curious, what do you guys prefer?
dj luis 6:06 PM - 18 October, 2007
silver for style, black for glamor

you pick...
DJ FLATLINE 6:11 PM - 18 October, 2007
I prefer Tech that work, black or silver........lol

No really, I'm partial to black

I'm gonna paint my covers White to go with my white Hard Drive case, laptop and stand. (I want to paint my 909 but I'm scared as hell....lol)
Soulsonica™ 6:17 PM - 18 October, 2007
Classic Silver.

I would be interested in a pair of black 1200s IF they where true matte/satin black though. 1210s aren't true black - they're kind of dark brownish gray and they don't match any other gear such as the black finish of Rane mixers.
DJ FLATLINE 6:21 PM - 18 October, 2007
They match my 909 depending on the lighting in the room. The 909 has a weird colour to it too...It's black but it's not grey either
DJ FLATLINE 6:21 PM - 18 October, 2007
damn no edit button!!!....meant it's not black but not grey either...lol
a-swift 6:23 PM - 18 October, 2007
i just want NEW decks. i dont care what color they are. that's the problem with techs. these things last so long, you never have an excuse to buy new ones.
sixxx 6:30 PM - 18 October, 2007
They're turntables... EVERYTHING MATCHES IN THE DARK. :P
jpresto 6:33 PM - 18 October, 2007
Very true a-swift, that's why I sort of never really thought about a new pair until now. Serato has almost revitalized my hunger for DJ'ing, like sort of how I felt when I first got into the game. Now that I’m sort of keen on the software and laptop end of things, I’ve begun to get picky about my equipment. I’ve been using my Vestax 05 for the longest time also. I think it looks great with a pair of black 1210s.
DJ-A 6:35 PM - 18 October, 2007
Get them a custom paint job... make them orig
DJ Young Herrera 6:36 PM - 18 October, 2007
How about a custom paint job?
DJ FLATLINE 6:43 PM - 18 October, 2007
Quote:

I walked right into that one....lol

Good one Sixxx, I'm gonna catch you slipping one day...lol
DJ_CARY 6:55 PM - 18 October, 2007
MERLOT is my Cup of tea!!!

Would love to re-do my TT's in this color!

-cary
djransom 6:57 PM - 18 October, 2007
I love black 12s. I have silver, but I would love to grab some blacks.
DJ-A 7:25 PM - 18 October, 2007
Quote:

I had an old black guy in memphis start getting racist with me one day... it was pretty funny... i said to him, sir, i need your help... i just don't get it... racism is bad, it doesnt help anyone feel good. when it comes down to it, if you take me and you put us in a dark room we're both black anyways

he paused for a second and started laughing soooo hard. that made me feel a lot more relaxed because there were a bunch of BIG black dudes that looked like they wanted to beat my ass for being where they didnt want me to be.
dj bedtime 7:27 PM - 18 October, 2007
first-- you bought a 1200 for $729?!?!?!?

Damn-- you got owned on that one brother. I used to work at Good Guys back in the day (like circut city)and we would sell them near cost, retail, at $525

Just go to a hobby store-- buy some paint and some small brushes and get creative.
jpresto 7:35 PM - 18 October, 2007
Yeah man, back in the day (8 years ago) that was retail...I remember doing my research at all the shops in Toronto at the time. I guess I should have mentioned that it was in CDN dollars.

Still, 8 years later, it turned out to be the best $729 I ever spent
DJ Young Herrera 7:41 PM - 18 October, 2007
$729 canadian? That's like $5 USD.

Just playin, I think the CDN is stronger now.
DJ FLATLINE 7:51 PM - 18 October, 2007
Quote:
$729 canadian? That's like $5 USD.

Just playin, I think the CDN is stronger now.

The Canadian dollar is stronger indeed. $729 is the price at Play De Record if I'm not mistaken. You should check craigslist. My boy got 2 1200mk2 for $800.
jpresto 7:59 PM - 18 October, 2007
If I do sell my 12s, I'd probably look to get $900 for the pair.

Play de Record has some reasonable prices on some equipment, and some God Awful prices on others. I don't understand their markup system.
dj bedtime 8:00 PM - 18 October, 2007
Well I could see that price in Canada. Cost on a 1200 if I remember right was about $490 US
DJ FLATLINE 8:06 PM - 18 October, 2007
Quote:
If I do sell my 12s, I'd probably look to get $900 for the pair.

Play de Record has some reasonable prices on some equipment, and some God Awful prices on others. I don't understand their markup system.

I'm with you on that. You would think that since this is the best the Canadian dollar has been that prices would drop.
DJ Young Herrera 8:14 PM - 18 October, 2007
Why don't you use your canadian dollar to purchase USD priced tables?
jpresto 8:19 PM - 18 October, 2007
That's why I intend to do :) Guitar Center is looking good to me.
Kenny Q 8:29 PM - 18 October, 2007
The 12105gm have a good looking finish.

The other black Tech are freakin' ugly.
A chrome plate looks very good (you can get one from ebay.uk)

I know a dude from New Jersey who custom paints them with car paint. I think he charges $100 each. You pay him $200 and he'll send you one painted with the color you want. After you install it, you can send him your old one and he'll refund you $100.

He clear coats it (looks like brand new car paint).
Sol*los 8:30 PM - 18 October, 2007
Quote:
Get them a custom paint job... make them orig

That's something i've been wanting to do. Mine are silver. Well a very dingy silver.
DJ-A 9:00 PM - 18 October, 2007
Hey Kenny, can you get some pictures? i'd like to see that
Kenny Q 9:06 PM - 18 October, 2007
Can't get you pics but I can call the guy and ask him for some.

or I can give you his email.
DJ-A 9:17 PM - 18 October, 2007
i'm an e-mail kind of person... i never know when i'll be available to talk
spin 9:26 PM - 18 October, 2007
I like the black (brownish gray, old Rane gear color) tables. Since I couldn't justify selling my silvers for 'em, I bought black covers instead.
sixxx 9:31 PM - 18 October, 2007
I painted my original 1200 MKII's green. Then black. They're the nice flat finish. I did it all on my own. It was easy and they came out nice. My second set are regular gray. Perfect for taking a beating on the road. lol

Now my m5G's... well, we know that story.
ralph 9:46 PM - 18 October, 2007
silver is classic.
jpresto 1:37 PM - 19 October, 2007
Last night I actually took a rag and cleaned my 12's up nice. I didn't realize they were so dirty...After about 30 minutes, I was digging my silvers again. I guess its just a preference really. In the end, they both do the same thing.
Soulsonica™ 2:24 PM - 19 October, 2007
Quote:
I guess its just a preference really. In the end, they both do the same thing.

Nope, the silver versions sound better. They also hold pitch slightly better than the black versions.
Dj Silver Glass 5:44 PM - 19 October, 2007
i'm ghetto i have one of each. love them both
Kenny Q 6:53 PM - 19 October, 2007
Quote:
Doesnt really matter, theyre all pink on the inside.

Good one
djtonypsalms 2:10 AM - 20 October, 2007
Why don't you just get those metal TT covers that go right on top of 'em...
sopranosupasta 3:23 AM - 20 October, 2007
Quote:

I like the metallic black.... you dont like it>??
jbakerutexas 3:41 AM - 20 October, 2007
i like silvers cuz you can tell whos been around a while by the nice worn/tarnished spot in the finish where ya hold the stylus...

just good memories of goin to the record store and seein busted ass techs with super worn off finish from years of guys diggin....
Soulsonica™ 9:19 AM - 20 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

IMO, the 5Gs look cheap. Kind of like bass boat paint. Technics should have done something really spectacular for their so called flagship model (ie: machined billet aluminum with true black anodized finish).
dj disturbed 8:04 PM - 20 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

IMO, the 5Gs look cheap. Kind of like bass boat paint. Technics should have done something really spectacular for their so called flagship model (ie: machined billet aluminum with true black anodized finish).

Ummm.. i think the m5g's look better then all the others. Just a little bit for flakes in it... but not soo much that its noticable art first glance. The bass boat look would be ALL flake and that would be the first thing you see
Soulsonica™ 11:07 PM - 21 October, 2007
Totally scientific study here. I just asked a room full of girls which color they liked and here are the results:

Silver: 7
Black: 2
What's a turntable: 4
djkf 11:39 PM - 21 October, 2007
Whats the best price people are finding on the sl 1210m5g
sopranosupasta 2:55 AM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Whats the best price people are finding on the sl 1210m5g

I just bought 2 with a ttm56 for 800 bucks. LOLOLOLOERS! but you wont find a deal like that. and if you do, tell me and ill buy more. Lol
Logisticalstyles 3:15 AM - 22 October, 2007
I just pulled out my old blacks and I restoring them this week. Black or White, replacement parts are not cheap.
If I could get a custom paint job it would have to be Royal Blue.
dj disturbed 7:44 AM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
I just pulled out my old blacks and I restoring them this week. Black or White, replacement parts are not cheap.
If I could get a custom paint job it would have to be Royal Blue.

yeah I'm about the restore my old ass mk2's and am thinking about doing a custom pain job on them myself
Soulved 1:32 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
EVERYTHING MATCHES IN THE DARK. :P

I've tried youre theory last night when it was totally dark. Vanilla Ice and Speedcore matched perfectly... Thanks 4 the heads up on that one sixxx:-p. Now I will rock every party, although I would have to pull the plugs first(hmmm.... That could be a problem:-p)