Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Audio skipping or dropping and gaps on both VIDEO and ordinary MP3

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DJSonny S 9:20 AM - 18 November, 2011
hello there..

i've been looking for solutions over the net and this forum for a few months still having the same issue..
have done almost all the tips and tricks that ive read.. but still having the same issue on my serato and only on my serato scratch live...

while playing audio or video, sounds usually skips or drops a few seconds but will not stop. and sometimes video will stop but the music still plays.

this is a new sony vaio pc VPCF136FG
specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-740QM Processor 1.73 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.93 GHz*1
4 GB (2 GB x 2) DDR3 1333 MT/s
500 GB*4 (Serial ATA, 5400 rpm)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 425M GPU 1 GB DDR3
SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.0) x 2*5

with:
newly installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit. fully activated. (formatted and reinstalled a million times and theres no way that i can install 32bit)
all drivers are updated.
scratch live 2.3.1. (already adjusted all the buffering suggestions)
videosl 1.2 (even if i dont have videosl it still skips..)
already updated firmware of my sl3 to 2.3. (both 2pcs of my sl3)
installed 7.7.1 of quicktime.
already check timecodes.. all are fresh.. both cd's and vinyls..
already tried million of suggested codecs...

i'm running out of option.. I even borrowed an alienware laptop quad core..still having the problem..

please if there is any issue with 64bit or with the specs of my laptop tell me right away so that i will decide if i'm going to replace again my laptop or most probably go to virtual dj..

fyi:
been playing black ops and nba live no lags in maximum settings.
watching hd movies in 1080p in an external 42inch ledtv. no problems or whatsoever..
all of the softwares on my system are working great including video mixing on virtual dj using numark ns7.. i've already tried all the versions that i can get of scratchlive..
6:21 PM, 18 Nov 2011
Discussion moved to Video-SL Help
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 10:56 PM - 20 November, 2011
Hi abusememore,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your Scratch Live and Video-SL. Lets get it sorted.

One thing that I notice from your specs above; The HD that is installed on your laptop is a slower 5400rpm HD which will have a noticeable affect on the performance of Scratch Live. We recommend the faster 7200rpm HD or you could use an SSD drive for high performance.

Anyhow, as you have stated above you have tried the usual suspects and nothing seems to be working. Could you please retrieve a DPC trace report and attach it to this thread for me to have a look at. How to Retreive a DPCS Trace report; sera.to

You definately installed the recommended codec packages; Matroiska and ffdshow ?
There are others that may help in your case from the Ninite Link here; ninite.com

The K Lite codec package and the CCCP codecs seem to have resolved issues with some Windows users.

Also, you definately have all bluetooth and wireless devices swithced of when performing with Scratch Live ? Make sure your USB drivers are all up to date.

You could have a look at these steps which resolved the USB dropouts for a couple of Windows users.

How I did it:
"Control Panel" >
"Hardware and Sound" >
"Power Options" >
"Edit" or "Change Plan Settings" >
"Change advanced power settings" >

(In "Power Options" popup box - under the "Advanced Settings" tab)
"USB settings" >
"USB selective suspend setting"

"On battery: Enabled"
"Plugged in: Enabled"

[I think the default setting is "Enabled". I clicked on each and changed both to "Disabled"]

If you could attach a Trace report and try this tweak above and then test and let me know how it goes.

Anthony
11:00 PM, 4 Dec 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
DJSonny S 6:28 AM - 28 December, 2011
my issue was not resolved with all of these suggestions.. although it did reduce the gaps by turning off wifi and blutut... however everyday is getting worst..

btw: i'm also thinking about the serial code of video sl.. it was only given to me as a gift from my friend and i know that we are 2 to 3 persons who's sharing the same serial code..would that also cause the problem... and i'm not even online when i'm using videosl...

thanks for the reply.. will send a trace report soon..
phatbob 8:23 AM - 28 December, 2011
Quote:
btw: i'm also thinking about the serial code of video sl.. it was only given to me as a gift from my friend and i know that we are 2 to 3 persons who's sharing the same serial code..would that also cause the problem... and i'm not even online when i'm using videosl

You've found the problem there. What happens when you share a VideoSL serial is that VSL knows you're a dirty scumbag and it slowly wipes all of your music and video files. Eventually it will wipe your hard drive totally.

If you buy your own copy now you might be able to save it, or perhaps Serato staff can save it, but you'll need to post the serial number in a direct message to AnthonyS.

Hurry!
DJSonny S 12:25 PM - 28 December, 2011
wow thanks... will do it before dec. 31... and will keep you guys updated.. thanks..
DJSonny S 6:02 AM - 2 January, 2012
i've already purchased videoSL.. feedback will be coming soon.. yahoo!!
DeeJay Fingers 7:44 AM - 2 January, 2012
You've found the problem there. What happens when you share a VideoSL serial is that VSL knows you're a dirty scumbag and it slowly wipes all of your music and video files. Eventually it will wipe your hard drive totally.

If you buy your own copy now you might be able to save it, or perhaps Serato staff can save it, but you'll need to post the serial number in a direct message to AnthonyS.

Hurry!

wow Really ... LMAO...

sad part is he or she believed you :/
DJSonny S 10:30 AM - 8 January, 2012
still having the same issue.. huhuhu
Racmusic 6:11 AM - 9 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
btw: i'm also thinking about the serial code of video sl.. it was only given to me as a gift from my friend and i know that we are 2 to 3 persons who's sharing the same serial code..would that also cause the problem... and i'm not even online when i'm using videosl

Hurry!

That was just plain cruel............:(
phatbob 7:54 AM - 9 January, 2012
Was it really?

If someone is dumb enough to come on and ask for help with a product they've got on the sly (and MENTION that) then they must surely be dumb enough to believe anything.

And they deserve all they get.
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 10:45 PM - 9 January, 2012
Hi abusememore,

OK, you need to read the Video-SL licence agreement which it sounds like you are in breach of !

The license agreement for Video-SL states that it can only be used on one computer at a time. If you want to use Video-SL on a secondary (backup) system as well, but not simultaneously, a second installation is included in your license provided you are not running it at the same time as your main system.

Activating and running Video-SL on more than one machine simultaneously is a violation of the license agreement and will result in the permanent de-activation of your serial number.
DJSonny S 2:04 PM - 10 January, 2012
dont worry guys ive already purchased a new one.. will give you some feedbacks...
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 12:58 AM - 11 January, 2012
Hi abusememore,

Ok, mate no problem. Glad we cleared that up :)

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding Video-SL. If not i will close this thread.

Thanks

Anthony
DJSonny S 9:21 AM - 11 January, 2012
thanks anthonyS.. give me 3 days to drive test my serato.. thanks a lot. hope that this will fix all my issues..
DJSonny S 3:15 AM - 16 January, 2012
I am really getting pissed off.. it ruined my gig with 400 guests.. my video completely shuts off... dunno what to do next.. i even borrowed one of my friends macbook pro.. but still no luck.. no more options.. but to wait for the next version... i do hope that i'm entitled to beta test the new version..

i'm close in throwing away my 2pcs. sl3 and my videosl key..
phatbob 10:13 AM - 16 January, 2012
Lots of people use Macbook Pros successfully, so if it isn't working with that you can start to narrow things down.

Where do you buy your video files?

What kind of external drive are you using?
DJSonny S 10:51 AM - 16 January, 2012
i purchased these videos from a friend of mine... if the videos are causing the problem then it will be on a certain ones not randomly.. sometimes it would take me 1 to 2 hours before it would happen.. then boom!! no chance on getting back to normal.. will have to restart serato or sometimes will have to SYSTEM RESTORE windows...

I'm using an external USB 3.0 and eSata drives..

thanks phatbob for the support.
phatbob 11:34 AM - 16 January, 2012
Just posted in your other thread.

If that video you posted there is indicative of the encoding of many of your videos, it's no surprise VideoSL doesn't work... You need a keyframe at least every 25 frames, preferably more.

You need to get MovieInfoBatch:

serato.com

And put your files into it one at a time. If a file has 0 or -1 keyframes it is no good and you should get rid of it.

Also if a file has a keyframe 'avg' of more than 30 that is junk too.
DJSonny S 12:53 PM - 16 January, 2012
ok will isolate the problem.. thanks for analyzing the file.. will keep you posted..
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 11:13 PM - 16 January, 2012
Hi abusememore,

Sorry to hear your having issues with Video-SL. As phatbob has stated there are a number of reasons why the Crash could have occured and he has pinpointed the encoding and keyframes of your video files.

We recommend that Video-SL users download and install Handbrake to encode there video files to a supported format and we have created a Video-SL Preset that will assist you in setting up the correct parameters for encoding.

Download Handbrake here; handbrake.fr

Download the Preset for Handbrake on this link; sera.to

Make sure you remove any corrupt files from your Scratch Live library.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any further questions regarding Video-SL.

Anthony
10:00 PM, 20 Feb 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.