DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Smoke from crossfader on TTM57.

mrlog 8:34 AM - 14 November, 2011
I open my rane57 to fix the button on the remote hotcue, and then when I brought back and turned on the console then went smoke from the crossfader. Everything seems to work but here's a strange burning smell and lack of sound I am very worried. sound diagram is working, but sounds is not.
What should I do?
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:14 PM - 14 November, 2011
Hey mrlog,

This can happen if the ribbon cable that connects the fader board to the main board is plugged in backwards.
Your fader is fried and you'll need to purchase a new one.
They are $50.
You can order one from us and put it in yourself or you can send the unit to us and we can do it for you.

Regardless, give us a call here and we'll get you sorted --> serato.com
asnf14 12:39 AM - 19 November, 2013
Hey zach,
I just googled a similar question and came across this discussion. I took my cross fader out to clean it and when I put it back there was a little smoke coming from the crossfader. but I put all 3 faders back the same way and their respective ribbon cable are facing the same way. any possibility of getting a picture or diagram of the direction the ribbon cables should be facing?
fknchino 6:46 AM - 19 November, 2013
I've just come across this problem, I foolishly took apart my ttm56 and I've been having a lot of trouble trying to put it back together (if some helpful person can show us a useful diagram on steps how to assemble it back together it would be great, i've also scratched the top of my hands plenty of times).

Lately, I've been smelling a weird burning smell, I thought my monitor was burning up dust.
but now I'm almost certain I put the ribbon cable the other way around on my mixer and fried the board.

I'm not sure which faders to replace, they make still make noise but they don't fade at all, including the crossfader.

Can the board be replaced with a chip instead of buying a whole new one?
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:39 PM - 20 November, 2013
If you ever smell burning its more than likely a fader board getting fried.
Fader boards are $15 a piece and can be ordered from us at Rane if you are in the states or from a Rane distributor if you are outside of the states.

Here is a great article on fader cleaning that will help both of you --> dj.rane.com
asnf14 8:31 PM - 21 November, 2013
hey zach, is there a link to buy the fader boards? I couldn't find just the boards.
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:15 PM - 21 November, 2013
No.. They are part number 19422.
Just call 425-355-6000 with a credit card in hand or email zachs@rane.com with your
full name, address, phone number, CC#, Exp, and CV code on the back.
fknchino 3:18 AM - 22 November, 2013
Hey Zach, do you provide any other payment methods other than credit? Paypal perhaps?
I'm located in Australia
938MyDJ 4:45 AM - 22 November, 2013
It feels like wanting to keep my 57 with this kind of support, lol!

More likely, I will.

I think you'll have all the parts for this mixer on the next five years...

Right, Zach?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:52 PM - 22 November, 2013
No paypal.. Just money order or CC.

If you are in Australia you will need to purchase the fader boards from our Australian distributor:

Hills SVL
1 Clyde St
Silverwater, NSW, Australia 2128
Tel 61 2 9647 1411
Fax 61 2 9748 2537
Email: hq@hillssvl.com.au
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:52 PM - 22 November, 2013
Yes.. we should have parts for the 57 for some years to come.
fknchino 10:29 AM - 24 November, 2013
Quote:
No paypal.. Just money order or CC.

If you are in Australia you will need to purchase the fader boards from our Australian distributor:

Hills SVL
1 Clyde St
Silverwater, NSW, Australia 2128
Tel 61 2 9647 1411
Fax 61 2 9748 2537
Email: hq@hillssvl.com.au

thanks, i've already contacted them actually but the fader boards are so expensive.
130$ each.
However, the guy mentioned that they have sensors which are about 7 dollars ea. but they only currently have 1 in stock. (I believe i need 3 in total)
Could you provide any information on replacing the sensors?
R DUBB 4:09 PM - 29 April, 2019
I was replaceing a fader carrier ...and the slide fade PCB smoked up .and then. testing ..the cross fader PBC SMOKED ..at different times when testing ...
I think the problem stems from not connecting all the ribbon cables when testing
if one is not connected it send higher voltage causing burn out of the sensors
BURN OUT is due to a surge of power heating the elements on the sensors....it's not easy to put the cables backwards without twist them....make sure they are seated properly in all six pin slots ..if you miss the back 3 ..it may burn out..double check
R DUBB 4:09 PM - 29 April, 2019
I was replacing a fader carrier ...and the slide fade PCB smoked up .and then. testing ..the cross fader PBC SMOKED ..at different times when testing ...
I think the problem stems from not connecting all the ribbon cables when testing
if one is not connected it send higher voltage causing burn out of the sensors
BURN OUT is due to a surge of power heating the elements on the sensors....it's not easy to put the cables backwards without twist them....make sure they are seated properly in all six pin slots ..if you miss the back 3 ..it may burn out..double check
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:55 PM - 29 April, 2019
problem 1 was not plugging out your mixer before fucking around
R DUBB 12:17 PM - 30 April, 2019
Not so read read
As I described I left one of the faders unplugged to mixer PCB mixer was off while working .. also I may gave nog seated the pins properly
.....that’s what u obervered it’s a power surge I Did theses steps to know shh since Rane —- has not shared this info
Of had no x I ordered 3 pcb on eBay Weill let u know ... with all owed c and installed ..
R DUBB 12:43 PM - 30 April, 2019
Make all connections from 6pin ribbon cables to fader PCB to mixer make sure pins are all seated properly souls check feel around them

Keep power off ... the faders can be connected outside the mixer hanging over the front insulating to back metal to not touch mixer a towel To test them You don’t need the face plate connected to mixer UV METER ribbon but do so drape faders observe them touch the back of fader boards at connection feel for heating up. At sensors ... no heat ..

Check you channel assign buttons
Check to clear swap ch or reverse

If you test none working faders in Teverse and they work mean one of the sensor in fader burnt out can still use if you reverse them in mixer care not to pitch cable
R DUBB 12:55 PM - 30 April, 2019
Keep power off
Make all connections from 6pin ribbon cables to fader PCB to mixer make sure pins are all seated properly 2x check feel around them make sure
Or they may cause a surge and smoke faders ...

. the faders can be connected outside the mixer hanging over the front insulating the back metal connects to not touch mixer use a towel When tesing them You don’t need the face plate connected to mixer UV METER ribbon but do so drape faders the will be upside down Turn power on -observe them touch the back of fader boards at connection feel for heating up. At sensors ... no heat .. your good

Check your channel assign buttons
Check to clear swap ch or reverse

If you test none working faders in Reverse mode and they work means one of the sensor in fader burnt out can still use if you reverse them in mixer care not to pitch cable
R DUBB 12:57 PM - 30 April, 2019
Indeed
R DUBB 1:05 PM - 30 April, 2019
Rule one
R DUBB 1:08 PM - 30 April, 2019
I ordered 3 PCB for faders will let you guys know results
Paid $68
R DUBB 1:24 PM - 30 April, 2019
fix this site so editing from senders can be done...
wanted to delete copied messages..
djcrap 1:42 AM - 2 May, 2019
Quote:
I open my rane57 to fix the button on the remote hotcue, and then when I brought back and turned on the console then went smoke from the crossfader. Everything seems to work but here's a strange burning smell and lack of sound I am very worried. sound diagram is working, but sounds is not.
What should I do?

What caused that burning smoke from the cross fader is because you must have reversed the crossfader ribbons by inserting them back in the wrong way or in the wrong slots.

I remember I did that years back with my ttm57 and I had to send it in for repair at rane. Lesson learned Thank God at the time mixer was still under warranty. So they replaced the fader and pcb