Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Is Itch 1.7.1 Compatible With VCI-400?

Souls Liberation 7:43 PM - 11 November, 2011
Greetings to all in this here world of dj-ing... can any of the Serato guys or anyone confirm that the VCI-400 can be mapped to any Serato Itch programme? I'm running V1.7.1. Got a call from my local dj shop to inform me that my VCI-400 has arrived but say it doesn't work/can't be mapped with the Itch. I need to know from some source about this as i don't even know the first thing about mapping... i keep things simple and trouble free. I'm heading to the shop tomorrow to see (probably pick up) the unit if it is able to map to the Itch programme. They at the shop know that this is the reason why i'm purchasing this product. Try to find the mapping for the pair on Vestax website and couldn't find anything pertaining to it even though it say it comes with overlays for Serato, Traktor & Virtual DJ. The guys at the shop (Westend DJ/UK) seems to know their stuff also... hence i am a bit puzzled. So if anyone can assist... i'll be very grateful for your help. There's a problem loading my crates and files on the DJ Intro plus Itch V2.0/".0.1 and would love to continue to use my V1.7.1 as it is superbly stable. Thanks in advance.
djfrancov 11:18 PM - 11 November, 2011
I think you can use it with dj intro...no mapping necessary it work out the box with Intro.
Beatnologic 8:35 AM - 12 November, 2011
if so, a lot of people on this forum would be very happy I guess
skratchworx 8:41 AM - 12 November, 2011
The VCI-400 does not work with ITCH at all. It works with Serato DJ Intro for 2 channels or Virtual DJ LE for 2 or 4 channels.

Your ITCH library should work just fine with DJ Intro though.
Ragman 4:24 PM - 13 November, 2011
Here is a link to all the Serato controllers that are for Itch. I just went to products at the top of this site. :-)

serato.com
Souls Liberation 7:37 PM - 13 November, 2011
Maximum thanks and respect for your inputs everyone. I did went to Westend DJ to pick up my VCI-400 and also they sorted out my problem with Serato Itch & DJ Intro loading so i'm good to go. Now back to the VCI-400 issue (and i speak about the unit that was ordered for me and i handled in the flesh), It doesn't work out of the box with the DJ Intro (you have to download it), the Virtual DJ LE (comes with the VCI-400) isn't brilliant with the scratching (not a scratch dj though but do a bit here & there) and they tried it with Traktor Pro and the mapping is all over the place (really needs a re-map). I had to accept that my device wouldn't work with Intro and someone sent Chris (the owner) a file that had the appropiate mapping and when they installed it... DJ Intro just wouldn't communicate with the VCI-400. It even opened up in an offline manner (hardware disconnected). They said that there might be some update within a week's time so i told them to keep the VCI-400 until then and we can do a re-check as this is one of the main reason why i bought the unit. So i cannot give my opinion/view on the VCI-400 & DJ Intro combination. It does work with VDJ LE but that combo didn't grab my attention and part of it is because i'm more for Serato and the integration i'm use to with the VCI-300 & Itch combination that i'm use to. So i was expecting the same with the VCI-400 & DJ Intro. I do hope that there is some planning between Serato & Vestax on this issue and i don't mind the wait as long as the issue will get solved... i still remain a fan of the Vestax & Serato combination. I've still got my VCI-300 now working with Itch 1.7.1 and now 2.0.1 and integration is is still tight like magnet to steel so i'm even smiling more. As the guys at Westend sorted my issue out, i gave them a half hour demo in the shop and then later on, the Itch 2.0.1 got a 4 hour run and every thing was smooth except that i noticed the sync doesn't work or is there a way to make it work? If so... i would need some info about this. Now put all of that aside, the VCI-400 is well built (you see & pay for quality) and was well planned out. I do have to tell you all though... playing with the VDJ LE... the sound that comes out of this thing is truly superb. The guys at Westend DJ hooked it up to some quality hi powered speakers and when we heard the sound that came out of it we thought that the master and trim volumes were turned out to full as everything came out with a blast. We hurried to turn down the unit and realised the trim was at the first point and so was the master, so they immediately turned the master down and the volume and the powered speakers were just at 11:00. So they turned down the volume on the speakers and we started over again. They put the trim to 9:00 played the track and slowly turn up the master volume and let me tell you... some kick ass sound came out of the VCI-400 which showed that Vestax did some research on the sound. You have to hear it to understand what I'm saying. So all in all a really brilliant unit and I look forward to Serato sorting out some software to work with this unit. So massive thanks as always to Serato, Vestax, the Westend DJ team, all who gave their inputs and to all whom even complain bout this an' that... as it entertains me at times :-). Keep the music spinning and i keep my fingers crossed for a VCI-400 & Serato team up. Bless.
skratchworx 9:14 AM - 14 November, 2011
The VCI-400 I have here worked first time with DJ Intro. How strange. And Westend are really good guys too.
B-Fax 11:38 AM - 14 November, 2011
Picked up a VCI-400 on Friday night from Sapphires (decks.co.uk) on Edgeware Road. Both my unit , and their demo unit have totally failed to connect to DJ Intro. The guys there are calling Vestax this morning to try and get an update.

In other news, Virtual DJ is absolutely awful - horrible quality filters and effects, really laggy when loading tracks, badly laid out software, poor file management etc etc!!!

Despite all the hoopla from Vestax, there are no mappings avaliable yet for Traktor unfortunately... and although I started doing my own, it really needs someone from Vestax or Traktor to do a set of maps that takes full advantage of the 400!!!

Sort it out Vestax, not good enough to launch a product that promises so much but has clearly been rushed out before its 100% ready....

On the plus side, the hardware is AWESOME. So much more 'pro' feeling than my old 300. Can't wait to get it up and running properly....
DJ dVO 4:24 PM - 14 November, 2011
Great info and good to hear about the new sound card in the 400. I am particularly interested in getting one to fill my portabity needs and will most likely get my hands on one when it becomes available in NA. I decided to pass on with the NS6. I just hope there will be keeners who will make the maps and make them available. :)
skratchworx 5:07 PM - 14 November, 2011
Quote:
Despite all the hoopla from Vestax, there are no mappings avaliable yet for Traktor unfortunately... and although I started doing my own, it really needs someone from Vestax or Traktor to do a set of maps that takes full advantage of the 400!!!

Did you see this on the Vestax VC-400 support page? help.vestax.co.jp
B-Fax 5:28 PM - 14 November, 2011
Quote:
Did you see this on the Vestax VC-400 support page? help.vestax.co.jp

Well they sneaked that on there since Saturday!!!! Good work Vestax and thanks for spotting scatchworx.... I'll install it tonight and let you know if they've done a good job....
Ragman 3:17 AM - 15 November, 2011
Quote:
[..] Sort it out Vestax, not good enough to launch a product that promises so much but has clearly been rushed out before its 100% ready.... [...]

I don't think this is Vestax problem. They are the hardware manufacturer, and the device, from a hardware standpoint, is ready at your own admission. It's an open MIDI controller so it's up to the software companies to get their stuff together.
B-Fax 12:04 PM - 15 November, 2011
Quote:
I don't think this is Vestax problem.

I just can agree - all the marketing guff that Vestax put out about how it was (supposed to) 'just work out of the box' sets expectations. It's not just an open midi controller, it's supposed to be a controller that's been designed to work specifically with all the leading software houses.

In any case, the Traktor mapping has been released now. Will be interesting to see if Itch gets an update for the 400, because Intro looks very basic. And still isn't working!
Souls Liberation 8:56 PM - 15 November, 2011
Greetings people... what's up? I do have to admit that the whole marketing of the VCI-400 gave great expectaions as it stated it could control leading softwares so i was a bit puzzled (not dissapointed as i know these things can be technical and prone to errors) when i realise it wasn't working with Serato's DJ Intro and left the unit at the shop until Serato has something sorted on this issue. I bought the VCI-400 on reputation, personal experience and yes...EXPECTATIONS. I expect the software to be working with the hardware in harmony and on top of that... i expect Serato to update the DJ Intro or Itch to work with this unit if truth be said plus i expect the tight integration between the VCI-400 and whichever software Serato decides to programme with it just like the VCI-300 & Itch. I remain a loyal user and fan of both companies having the expectation that this issue will be resolved. So i'm giving the situation some time to see what happens as i realise that they've released the mappings for Traktor. I feel i can say that Vestax VCI-400 is the leading hardware right now so... COME ON SERATO... COUNTING ON YOU. Let's keep it groovy.
skratchworx 1:49 PM - 16 November, 2011
I just spoke with Vestax. It seems that DJ Intro is still in beta for the VCI-400, which would explain why my beta version works! Demand has been so high for the unit that the decision was made to ship it ahead of DJ Intro being ready. It would appear that almost all the interest has been from Traktor users anyway.

You must remember that the VCI-400 is marketed as a generic controller i.e. it works with anything (except ITCH and SSL obviously). So while it works with Traktor and VDJ now, it'll be a few weeks before it is released for DJ Intro.

Hope that helps explain things a little.
Souls Liberation 7:39 PM - 16 November, 2011
Bless up Skratchworx and respect for the info. I can say that to how the VCI-400 was marketed... it gave people the impression that all was well with the softwares for the unit so i can only say that this info you passed on... either/both Vestax and Serato should put an ATTENTION document on their site stating the situation in respect to their consumers/users. Remember it also stated it came with overlays for Serato, Traktor & VDJ. So i even thought that the fact it stated it came with overlays and mappings were said to be on the Vestax site... it was ready to spring into action. So many respects for the info you passed on to the masses and i'll patiently wait for the Serato clan to put some more time & work to make the/their product/s better. Also i feel you might mean to say... 'it'll be a few weeks before DJ Intro is released for it (VCI-400)'. Respect.
DJ dVO 2:45 AM - 17 November, 2011
Quote:
I just spoke with Vestax. It seems that DJ Intro is still in beta for the VCI-400, which would explain why my beta version works! Demand has been so high for the unit that the decision was made to ship it ahead of DJ Intro being ready. It would appear that almost all the interest has been from Traktor users anyway.

Hey I am interested and I am an Itch user :)

Quote:
You must remember that the VCI-400 is marketed as a generic controller i.e. it works with anything (except ITCH and SSL obviously). So while it works with Traktor and VDJ now, it'll be a few weeks before it is released for DJ Intro.

Hope that helps explain things a little.

I feel it is such a waste for such a capable machine! IMO, it offers the best I/O in its class!
Ragman 5:46 AM - 17 November, 2011
Generic controller = more money, more money for Vestax. From a biz aspect very smart move.
DJ dVO 12:36 AM - 18 November, 2011
Quote:
Generic controller = more money, more money for Vestax. From a biz aspect very smart move.

I don't dispute their move at all.
DJWOLFD 8:10 PM - 20 January, 2012
Can someone please answer this for me: We already know that the VCI-400 comes pre-mapped for Serato DJ INTRO.... but what I'd like to know is, seeing that this is a customizable open MIDI controller, shouldn't we be able to map it ourselves for use with Serato ITCH? If they're telling us that we can map it for use with programs like Ableton LIVE, etc, then why wouldn't we be able to map it to ITCH?
Musically Minded 8:19 PM - 20 January, 2012
Quote:
Can someone please answer this for me: We already know that the VCI-400 comes pre-mapped for Serato DJ INTRO.... but what I'd like to know is, seeing that this is a customizable open MIDI controller, shouldn't we be able to map it ourselves for use with Serato ITCH? If they're telling us that we can map it for use with programs like Ableton LIVE, etc, then why wouldn't we be able to map it to ITCH?

cause itch doesn't support midi mapping
pdidy 8:50 PM - 20 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

cause itch doesn't support midi mapping

this is correct, Itch is designed to ONLY work with certified itch controllers. see list of itch controllers here..serato.com
DJWOLFD 9:24 PM - 20 January, 2012
Ahhhh... ok. So the software is the issue. Thank you very much for clearing that up for me gentlemen.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:35 AM - 23 January, 2012
Man you guys are rich if your buying a vci-400 just to use with serato dj intro. It's so basic its unreal what a waste of money!
Souls Liberation 5:45 PM - 23 January, 2012
Greetings to the massive and i hear you Woolsey, Not about the rich but that Intro is basic for the VCI-400. I didn't take mine when i realized the software didn't work with the hardware and decided to wait to see what the Itch 2.0/2.1 would offer. Now that Itch 2.1 seems to be working fine for me, i've decided what's the point of the VCI-400 and thus let them guys hang on to the payments for something else or if there's an Itch to work with the VCI-400, then i might get it. To be REALLY HONEST, this is the setup i was hoping for... Serato Itch and Vestax VCI-400, and when i decipher the whole thing... VCI-300 and Itch still sits at the top for me. I personally am truly happy with the Itch 2.1 software (layout and what it has to offer) and i am wondering the fact that the VCI-400 is a generic type hardware, will it mate with the software as tightly (i haven't tested the VCI-400/Intro setup yet). When i do i might see how i feel but right now my VCI-300 is still looking new and never an issue after so many hours of dj-ing (home, gigs and personal parties) plus it mates with all the versions of Itch that i have like there's no tomorrow. So i'm cool at the mo' and when i personally do a hands on test, i'll truly decide cause in honesty, i do dig the DJ Intro for it's simplicity and Serato made. so for now... 'Let the music play'. Bless.
djallstyle 8:38 AM - 21 February, 2012
I just tried the Vci 400....... The controller is GREAT!!!Turntable, sound, cross fader is very very good. However the Intro software is a real waste of time. I can't believe they allowed this to happen with such an advanced device. Its like the body of a Ferrari & the speed & engine of a Ford Focus... Just lame!! Whoever made this decision really should be fired!! For real. No one will buy the 400 for serato. Dj's will switch to Ableton or Traktor. You really should make a change to this asap!! I will be waiting to see what happens.. #FAIL
Dj cuervo 10:33 PM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:
I just tried the Vci 400....... The controller is GREAT!!!Turntable, sound, cross fader is very very good. However the Intro software is a real waste of time. I can't believe they allowed this to happen with such an advanced device. Its like the body of a Ferrari & the speed & engine of a Ford Focus... Just lame!! Whoever made this decision really should be fired!! For real. No one will buy the 400 for serato. Dj's will switch to Ableton or Traktor. You really should make a change to this asap!! I will be waiting to see what happens.. #FAIL

+1000000000000000
Vci 400 was not made with Serato in mind. It was adopted later. Vestax just chose the cheap route with Serato intro. I think they will be a VCI 400mk2 or vci 500 that will support Itch since Vestax was the flagship company with ITCH.
djallstyle 6:42 AM - 23 February, 2012
Dj cuervo
I really hope so. My boy & I were extremely upset with Intro & this controller. Like is said, "I will be waiting"
pdidy 7:11 AM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
Dj cuervo
I really hope so. My boy & I were extremely upset with Intro & this controller. Like is said, "I will be waiting"

what you may not understand is its a Vestax problem not serato. So cut your loses early an sell the vci-400 to some other chump who dont no any better before everybody finds out or you will be waiting for NOTHIN !!!
Dj Nyce 8:15 PM - 6 March, 2012
do you guys think that the VCI-400 will ever be compatible with Itch? do you think vestax will replace the VCI-300 with an updated itch controller this year?
Ragman 11:46 PM - 6 March, 2012
Quote:
do you guys think that the VCI-400 will ever be compatible with Itch?

Nope.

Quote:
do you think vestax will replace the VCI-300 with an updated itch controller this year?

Maybe.
Maskrider 3:55 PM - 10 March, 2012
Quote:
do you guys think that the VCI-400 will ever be compatible with Itch? do you think vestax will replace the VCI-300 with an updated itch controller this year?

It will never be compatible (vci-400) .A replacement for VCI-300 it won't be a surprise a bunch of upgrades on ITCH already I guess Vestax is just waiting for everything to settle down and make an all in one controller that we are waiting for.
patrickwdoyle 6:13 AM - 13 March, 2012
If Vestax and Serato are smart, they'll make a VCI 420 that basically has the same layout as the VCI 400 but will be recognized as an Itch controller. It will sell way more than calling it the VCI 500.
Dj Nyce 2:44 PM - 13 March, 2012
Quote:
If Vestax and Serato are smart, they'll make a VCI 420 that basically has the same layout as the VCI 400 but will be recognized as an Itch controller. It will sell way more than calling it the VCI 500.

i would buy it in a heartbeat (as long as it can fit in a UDG creator)
Maskrider 12:56 AM - 14 March, 2012
Quote:

I love VCI420......
Panotaker 6:25 PM - 14 March, 2012
I wouldn't buy any four channel controller unless they figure out how to turn off the extra 2 decks so it doesn't hog up half your screen real estate.
Maskrider 2:04 AM - 15 March, 2012
Quote:
I wouldn't buy any four channel controller unless they figure out how to turn off the extra 2 decks so it doesn't hog up half your screen real estate.

+1
djallstyle 8:30 PM - 16 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

+1

+2
A switch from 2 - 4 decks would be a great itch option. I'm waiting!!
djallstyle 8:39 PM - 16 March, 2012
A switch from 2 - 4 decks button or option (i meant) would be a great itch option. I'm waiting!!
fabolous 2:33 AM - 13 May, 2012
I just got the VCI 400 not happy feel like i just lost $1200.00. The VCI 400 and and cases not happy. I have the SL1,SL2,SL3 this is a killer no ITCH SMH.
pdidy 8:17 PM - 13 May, 2012
Quote:
I just got the VCI 400 not happy feel like i just lost $1200.00. The VCI 400 and and cases not happy. I have the SL1,SL2,SL3 this is a killer no ITCH SMH.

Quote:
Quote:
Dj cuervo

what you may not understand is its a Vestax problem not serato. So cut your loses early an sell the vci-400 to some other chump who dont no any better before everybody finds out or you will be waiting for NOTHIN !!!

the fact that people are still buying the vci400 with all the info out there about how bad it is with serato intro is totally amazing.
Maskrider 2:32 AM - 14 May, 2012
I'm surprised that they don't look at the product first and just assumes......
DJFUNKMIKE 12:21 AM - 14 August, 2012
Quote:

+1