DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How to get out of the bpm trap

DjGpower 5:48 PM - 8 November, 2011
So I got two holiday gigs coming up & i'm going thru my uptempo dance set,only to realize i'm starting to get stuck in that bpm trap playing from 120 all the way to 130,I wanna change the tempo to a pop & hip hop set, any ideas what songs are the best to hold a predominantly white crowd who wants a little hip hop? albeit a little flava on the dancefloor,I already got the 80's rock & pop set ready, but i need really good hip hop & pop segment...any feedback would be awesome
Audio1 5:53 PM - 8 November, 2011
Simple. Power down your turntable, Play the new record at the lower BPM...
Audio1 5:55 PM - 8 November, 2011
Another simple method is to play some type of sound effect then make the switch. I usually would play a BOMB sound then start the track at a new BPM... You are a DJ. There is no such thing as a BPM Trap. If you think there is, You need a new career.
DjGpower 6:01 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
Another simple method is to play some type of sound effect then make the switch. I usually would play a BOMB sound then start the track at a new BPM... You are a DJ. There is no such thing as a BPM Trap. If you think there is, You need a new career.

I already the know that method that you suggest,i'm a hip hop dj but I just wanna know what are the recent songs in that category,I need song ideas not ideas on how to transition
Audio1 6:03 PM - 8 November, 2011
You can always try Uptempo remixes of rap/hip hop tunes... Pretty much anything labeled "DJ MIKE D REMIX" would fit this category nicely.
sixxx 6:06 PM - 8 November, 2011
Give me your gig info and the info of the person who is going to pay you. I will do that info since I seem to know what I'm doing and you don't.
sixxx 6:06 PM - 8 November, 2011
I will do that gig....
thebuttonfreak 6:09 PM - 8 November, 2011
Movie samples. It creates a different mood and gets people ready for a big shift. A bit of an unorthodox solution but pretty cool if you are creative about which movies you sample.
djpuma_gemini 6:09 PM - 8 November, 2011
So is this a bpm trap or i don't know new music trap?

The ideas above are great for going down into a lower bpm, you can also try transition tracks, but most of them suck and your crowd will stand there until the new song comes in.
Just drop a big track like biggie hypnotize and go from there.
Audio1 6:11 PM - 8 November, 2011
Hip Hop for older white people.
DjGpower 6:17 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
Give me your gig info and the info of the person who is going to pay you. I will do that info since I seem to know what I'm doing and you don't.

this y some of you so called serato djs are labeled as dicks,I just wanted to get some constructive feedback since i'm playing for a mixed crowd,i just thought it would be cool to hear what other djs play for there holiday gigs especially since its mostly a white crowd & i'm a club dj & just want to tone it down for that kinda of event... so dont b a dick...
sixxx 6:20 PM - 8 November, 2011
lol @ Serato DJ's labeled as dicks.

How about DJ's like yourself labeled as morons, newbies, freebies, let-other-dj's-do-the-work-for-me-while-i-get-paid?
Audio1 6:22 PM - 8 November, 2011
Music Wise: If you want to go from a fast set to a slow set, try some of these

Mark Morrison - Return of The Mack
Bee Gees - Staying Alive

Anything friendly in that tempo that they may recognize and you will easily be able to mix some rap/hip hop into.
thebuttonfreak 6:23 PM - 8 November, 2011
Also there is a terrific Carl Craig edit of the talking heads that is really great for transitions. On Moose I think.
thebuttonfreak 6:25 PM - 8 November, 2011
Dj Shamann 6:26 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
some of you so called serato djs

LOL @ calling him a "so called" Dj when you're the one asking how to play the gig.

Quote:
since its mostly a white crowd & i'm a club dj

Yeah I mean, what would those white people know about Club Dj's?
Audio1 6:27 PM - 8 November, 2011
I found that most white people are pretty informed about CLUB DJs and music in general, albeit most of the time we cant play their requests in a club. (LYNYRD SKYNYRD, YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!)
Audio1 6:27 PM - 8 November, 2011
(Insert favorite black comedian jokes about white people)
DjGpower 6:28 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:

The ideas above are great for going down into a lower bpm, you can also try transition tracks, but most of them suck and your crowd will stand there until the new song comes in.
Just drop a big track like biggie hypnotize and go from there.

Finally a real dj... I actually know alot of new music, but that crowd just want to hear pop & safe hip hop,I have no problem with the transitions its just that I wanted to bounce songs Ideas,Just to see if what i have in my crate also matches up with other djs who do those type of events,the hypnotize record is a great idea,I already had that in the crate... thanks for the good constructive feedback... respect
Dj Shamann 6:29 PM - 8 November, 2011
Just play this all night

stuffwhitepeoplelike.com
DjGpower 6:31 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
I found that most white people are pretty informed about CLUB DJs and music in general, albeit most of the time we cant play their requests in a club. (LYNYRD SKYNYRD, YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!)

yeah but i'm playing for upscale crowd mid 30's & older,& its not my usual manhattan crowd
DJ NoNseNse 6:32 PM - 8 November, 2011
You should know the crowd better then any of us. How old are these people? If it were me I would be playing the older hip hop/r&b from 80's and 90's. Stuff like beastie boys, run dmc, sir mix alot, hammer, sugar hill gang, etc.
Jesus Christ 6:33 PM - 8 November, 2011
Try this: www.monster.com
sixxx 6:34 PM - 8 November, 2011
"Finally a real dj..."

You mean... NOT YOU.

LISTEN, or read if you will,

You may call those who don't play your little game of GIVE ME, GIVE ME, GIVE ME dicks... but YOU ARE THE REAL DICK IN THE DJ GAME

for trying to get shit done for you
DJ Eazy B 6:38 PM - 8 November, 2011
The claws are out... Meeeeow!! lol
Dj Shamann 6:39 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
especially since its mostly a white crowd & i'm a club dj & just want to tone it down for that kinda of event

Quote:
I actually know alot of new music, but that crowd just want to hear pop & safe hip hop

LOL @ this guy acting like he's on some next level, unknown to the public futuristic shit and this is his play chart..

1. NELLY FURTADO - Say It Right
2. Rob Base And Dj E - Z Rock - It Takes Two
3. Donnie Klang ft Diddy and D1 - Take You There (Remix)
4. Next - Too Close
5. Major Lazer ft Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody ( DJ Steam Real Fixx)
6. Marques Houston Feat. Jermaine "JD" Dupri - Marques Houston - Pop That Booty
7. Pitbull ft T Pain - Hey Baby (Drop It To The Floor
8. Lil Jon & The Eastside Boyz - Get Low (remix) feat Elephant Man & Busta Rhymes
9. Fatman Scoop & DJ Kool - It Takes Scoop
10. Mystikal - Shake Ya Ass (Clean Radio Edit)

Dude, that's the old white people 10 commandments.
DjGpower 6:42 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
You should know the crowd better then any of us. How old are these people? If it were me I would be playing the older hip hop/r&b from 80's and 90's. Stuff like beastie boys, run dmc, sir mix alot, hammer, sugar hill gang, etc.

those are some good Ideas,thats already in my throwback crate & I save those for later on when they are drunk...I dont listen to alot of pop music, & often times I get request for that kind of music,so I just thought it would be cool to hear from fellow djs about the newer pop stuff..
DJRemix8x3 6:49 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

this y some of you so called serato djs are labeled as dicks,I just wanted to get some constructive feedback since i'm playing for a mixed crowd,i just thought it would be cool to hear what other djs play for there holiday gigs especially since its mostly a white crowd & i'm a club dj & just want to tone it down for that kinda of event... so dont b a dick...

LMAO!! DJGpower you don't wanna mess with Sixxx... LOL
DJ NoNseNse 6:52 PM - 8 November, 2011
@djgpower

I know your a hip hop dj but if your doing gigs and you get a lot of request for pop songs then you really need to start playing more pop music and get familiar with it. Depending on where you live being just a hip hop dj will only get you so far these days.
DjGpower 6:54 PM - 8 November, 2011
LMAO!! DJGpower you don't wanna mess with Sixxx... LOL
LMAO ooooh i'm skurd...
sixxx 6:56 PM - 8 November, 2011
Be very skurd
sixxx 6:56 PM - 8 November, 2011
while you wear your skirt
thebuttonfreak 7:00 PM - 8 November, 2011
You guys are dicks. Dude was just starting on conversation.
Wazo 7:01 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:

i was just typing the exact same shit.

why are people here such assholes with nothing good to say.

fuck who cares how long you been in the game, hes asking to generate ideas and new shit, fuck off if you dont like it to DJ forums,com.

come on sixxx, thought you had more respect than you are showing.
DjGpower 7:04 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
@djgpower
I know your a hip hop dj but if your doing gigs and you get a lot of request for pop songs then you really need to start playing more pop music and get familiar with it. Depending on where you live being just a hip hop dj will only get you so far these days.

So true but most of my gigs are local clubs & gritty Brooklyn & NJ Dancehall where I do hardcore reggae,nothing wrong with plying pop... I like it, but I dont always Have the audience for it
Audio1 7:11 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

fuck who cares how long you been in the game, hes asking to generate ideas and new shit, fuck off if you dont like it to DJ forums,com.

YOU GUYS FAIL AT SARCASM.
thebuttonfreak 7:18 PM - 8 November, 2011
There's sarcasm and then there's being a dick. I excel in both so I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference.
sixxx 7:19 PM - 8 November, 2011
hahaha
sixxx 7:20 PM - 8 November, 2011
"come on sixxx, thought you had more respect than you are showing. "

I don't respect people who want free handouts... and neither should you.

Remember, HE IS GETTING PAID and you're not. So, go ahead and help him. :)
thebuttonfreak 7:22 PM - 8 November, 2011
It's just music, not war. Be excellent at what you do, that's all that matters imo.

That's the only philosophical fart I have for the day.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:34 PM - 8 November, 2011
Tracking...
DjGpower 7:37 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:

No need for the negative vibe homie,I'm not lookin for handouts,I mustve misread what these forums were about bcuz I thought it was for djs to work with each other,bcuz we all love music, not spittin venom two seconds after I post a message...sounds like you jealous, "HE IS GETTING PAID" your words not mine...no worries we need haters like you,without you succes is not as sweet,so keep that hater fuel going...
Audio1 7:39 PM - 8 November, 2011
Hahah He isnt a hater. He's just voicing his opinion on the subject matter. LOL
djpuma_gemini 7:40 PM - 8 November, 2011
So have you spun hip hop before?
djaction 7:40 PM - 8 November, 2011
nelly furtado = say it right is a hip-hop anthem... lol
djaction 7:42 PM - 8 November, 2011
We shouldn't be "enabling" any type of DJ laziness on here.. the software already takes care of 99% of that as is.
djaction 7:43 PM - 8 November, 2011
also FWIW i'm pretty sure the new version of Traktor has WPM [White People Mode] as a user selectable option.
AIRX ONE 7:45 PM - 8 November, 2011
HELP Help....... IM IN A BPM TRAP!!!!!!!!! LOL
Audio1 7:49 PM - 8 November, 2011
Audio1 7:50 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
Where's M-Bezzle when we need him.
AIRX ONE 7:51 PM - 8 November, 2011
I'm sorry but half the fun of being a dj is figuring out what songs go to gather ........ this is called making your set ... as you said ...I need song ideas not ideas on how to transition ... if we give you song ideas it our set ......... DO YOUR JOB
DjGpower 7:52 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
So have you spun hip hop before?

of course....but I think there is a miscommunication about what i posted,I Just thought it would be cool to talk to djs about what kind of pop & hip hop set that would play in a mix crowd,I already Have a crate with tons of suff, I was gonna share some of my Ideas also, people just pounced on it,I'm not on here beggin,I was just tryin to collab with fellow music lovers...
AIRX ONE 7:56 PM - 8 November, 2011
ok play a track form one genre if works stick with it if not move on this is called finding your crowd ........... or serato.com
AIRX ONE 8:00 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
while you wear your skirt

ah skirt skirt skirt ...lol
sixxx 8:11 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

No need for the negative vibe homie,I'm not lookin for handouts,I mustve misread what these forums were about bcuz I thought it was for djs to work with each other,bcuz we all love music, not spittin venom two seconds after I post a message...sounds like you jealous, "HE IS GETTING PAID" your words not mine...no worries we need haters like you,without you succes is not as sweet,so keep that hater fuel going...

You're 100% correct. No need for the negative vibe. That's you. You're the negative venom in the DJ game.

and as you can see by some of the posts from people above, I'm not the only who sees this.

:)
sixxx 8:12 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
Hahah He isnt a hater. He's just voicing his opinion on the subject matter. LOL

Well said.
Quote:
We shouldn't be "enabling" any type of DJ laziness on here.. the software already takes care of 99% of that as is.

Example
Quote:
HELP Help....... IM IN A BPM TRAP!!!!!!!!! LOL

Quote:
I'm sorry but half the fun of being a dj is figuring out what songs go to gather ........ this is called making your set ... as you said ...I need song ideas not ideas on how to transition ... if we give you song ideas it our set ......... DO YOUR JOB

Ex
ample... lol
sixxx 8:13 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
ok play a track form one genre if works stick with it if not move on this is called finding your crowd ........... or serato.com

And an excellent point....
sixxx 8:14 PM - 8 November, 2011
"I was just tryin to collab with fellow music lovers... "

That's NOT what you're doing.... once you see this, you'll know.
thebuttonfreak 8:14 PM - 8 November, 2011
wow, 5 posts in a row congratulating yourself. I think I'm done for the day.
thebuttonfreak 8:15 PM - 8 November, 2011
correction, 7 posts in a row.
Audio1 8:23 PM - 8 November, 2011
You can always play "Moves Like Jagger" and see where that takes you.
sixxx 8:24 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
correction, 7 posts in a row.

Correction... I'm NOT congratulation myself. I was pointing out the comments from other people who agree.

Reading is fundamental.
sixxx 8:24 PM - 8 November, 2011
aka congratulating. :)
Jesus Christ 8:25 PM - 8 November, 2011
AIRX ONE 8:30 PM - 8 November, 2011
o dam now got Jesus involved ... see you in hell lol
Wazo 8:30 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:

yeah congratulations, right.......we dont need you to point out other peoples comments.

you must be the comment pointer outer around here then, pat yourself on the back then.
AIRX ONE 8:31 PM - 8 November, 2011
* Jesus got
Jesus Christ 8:32 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

yeah congratulations, right.......we dont need you to point out other peoples comments.

you must be the comment pointer outer around here then, pat yourself on the back then.

That's very unAmerican. Wait... you're from Canada? Never mind. As you were, eh?!
AIRX ONE 8:35 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's very unAmerican. Wait... you're from Canada? Never mind. As you were, eh?!

he's high and from canada and has no idea what going on ... its ok my lil American copy cat ... aka canadian .. lol
DJ Remy USA 8:36 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:

hey dont talk about Nelly I stil love that track and yes its apart of my rotation still ableit the warm up set but I still playin it...lol
DJ Remy USA 8:37 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
also FWIW i'm pretty sure the new version of Traktor has WPM [White People Mode] as a user selectable option.

Oh man you dont know how long I have been waiting for serato to implement that mode fuk AM mode I need WPM for those set were playing Abba is a must..lol
DjGpower 8:58 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

hey dont talk about Nelly I stil love that track and yes its apart of my rotation still ableit the warm up set but I still playin it...lol
I actually use that track to mix into a dancehall remix on that beat...I always get a great response from it.. nuttin like a dope timbaland beat
Audio1 9:28 PM - 8 November, 2011
Wouldn't Promiscuous Girl be a better choice for the club? Say It Right is a pretty depressing track to play in the club.
djaction 9:40 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
Wouldn't Promiscuous Girl be a better choice for the club? Say It Right is a pretty depressing track to play in the club.

either way.. if I'm listening to a Hip-Hop DJ I fully expect to hear some Nelly Furtado!!
DJDBAG 9:54 PM - 8 November, 2011
Cee lo- Ill be around
M I A - Come Around
DJDBAG 9:54 PM - 8 November, 2011
both timbo beats both fire.
eder 10:07 PM - 8 November, 2011
IT'S A TRAP!

Watchwww.youtube.com
sixxx 10:22 PM - 8 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Noted DJ Wazoo. hahaha
DJ Remy USA 1:08 AM - 9 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I actually use that track to mix into a dancehall remix on that beat...I always get a great response from it.. nuttin like a dope timbaland beat

What track is this you speak of
DJ Remy USA 1:10 AM - 9 November, 2011
Quote:

Audio 1 in my experience a good depressing track at the club at the right time always works good or it can clear a dance floor
eder 1:15 PM - 9 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Audio 1 in my experience a good depressing track at the club at the right time always works good or it can clear a dance floor

This is like saying "maybe" to a yes or no question...you're always right, but you're getting nowhere fast.
str8nger 2:54 PM - 9 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

i hate djforums.com bunch of fucken u.k motha fuckas in there talking about there trance shit and happy hardcore! and there stupid midi controllers
BattleFunk 3:13 PM - 9 November, 2011
Quote:
i hate djforums.com bunch of fucken u.k motha fuckas in there talking about there trance shit and happy hardcore! and there stupid midi controllers

pretty much the same as the Serato forums being full of ignorant bigoted US mutha fuckas talking about hip hop and 1200s
DJDBAG 3:19 PM - 9 November, 2011
dont matter much....djfourms.com is down all the time anyway
DJ Remy USA 4:06 PM - 9 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

pretty much the same as the Serato forums being full of ignorant bigoted US mutha fuckas talking about hip hop and 1200s

lol which is lesser of 2 evils I take 1200s and hiphop talk any day
DJ GaFFle 4:12 PM - 9 November, 2011
Quote:
dont matter much....djfourms.com is down all the time anyway

LOL... true dat
DJRemix8x3 6:05 PM - 9 November, 2011
Where are the Moderators when you need them?
DJ Unique 6:08 PM - 9 November, 2011
This discussion is a trap I tell you.
Jesus Christ 6:27 PM - 9 November, 2011
canicypher 4:56 AM - 10 November, 2011
^ I like your style lol, elder's too

Quote:

Yeah, They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time...
eder 5:16 AM - 10 November, 2011
respect your eders
ral 5:35 AM - 10 November, 2011
bpm trap! woowzers smh (nm nh)
dj_soo 6:40 AM - 10 November, 2011
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:21 PM - 11 November, 2011
So I got two Hanukka gigs coming up & i'm going thru my uptempo dance set,only to realize i'm starting to get stuck in that bpm trap playing from 120 all the way to 130,I wanna change the tempo to a pop & hip hop set, any ideas what songs are the best to hold a predominantlyblack jewish crowd who wants a little yiddish hip hop? albeit a little flava on the dancefloor,I already got the 80's rock & pop set ready, but i need really good yiddish hip hop & pop segment...any feedback would be awesome.
O.B.1 10:24 PM - 11 November, 2011
yiddish hip-hop, that's a genre I'm not familiar with - unless you mean stuff like Beastie Boys and Lonely Island...
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:28 PM - 11 November, 2011
Finally a real dj... I actually know alot of new music, but that crowd just want to hear pop & safe yiddish hip hop,I have no problem with the transitions its just that I wanted to bounce songs Ideas,Just to see if what i have in my crate also matches up with other djs who do those type of events,theBeastie Boys & Lonely Island is a great idea,I already had that in the crate... thanks for the good constructive feedback... respect
Jesus Christ 10:51 PM - 11 November, 2011
For Yiddish hip hop, check out Chutzpah, Yitz Jordan, Hip Hop Hoodios, Matisyahu, Sagol 59 or HaDag Nahash just to name a few. The Jews and I go way back.
eder 12:37 AM - 12 November, 2011
LMFAO & Dirt Nasty - I Can't Dance
eder 12:37 AM - 12 November, 2011
Btw guys I have a couple gigs coming up where I'd like to not play music in the 120-130 range. Help!
Hassle 3:56 AM - 12 November, 2011
jiddish hiphop yo

Watchwww.youtube.com
Hassle 3:58 AM - 12 November, 2011
or go for artists like:

Kiddush Cudi
Daven The Dude
Schvitzmaster Mike
Oy Vey Da Jewman
Jerusalem The Damaja
Dr. Dreidel
Ludabris
Latke Flocka
The Ghetto Goys
The Cool Yids
Moses Def
The Lox...
Jew Tang Clan
Too Schwartz
Soulja Boychick
Talis Kweli
Sephardic-Cyde "Passover Me By"
The Lost Tribe Called Quest / Kvetch
Star of David Banner
Matzah P
De La Shul (feat. Trugoy)
Purim Righteous Teachers
Sir Mix-A-Latke / Sir Shiksa-Lot / Sir Schvitz-A-Lot / Sir Mitzvah-Lot
Big Punim
Lord Schmear
Shabbat X
Shalom Village
Leaders of the New Schul
Bris Markie
Menoraeaga
Slim Zadie
Bubbie Sparxxx
Limp Brisket
Afrika Bam-schmata
Kvetch Armstrong
Invisibl Skratch Shekels
Young Berg...
Schticky Fingaz
Fat Jew aka Don Cartahebrew
Jewvenile, Jewnior Mafia, Jewpac
Souls of Mitzvah
Meshugah Hill Gang "Rabbi's Delight"
Rick Reuben
Kugel Keith
Chai'rogrlyphics
Nicki Mi-nosh
Kid Shiksa
Foxy Braun
Sunz of Manichevitz
Lil Knish
Ko$ha
Jay Elec-Hanukkah
Boyz II Mensch
Hasheminem
Eric B. & Hashem
Young Schmuck
Jesus Christ 6:54 AM - 12 November, 2011
Quote:
or go for artists like:

Kiddush Cudi
Daven The Dude...

Try something original!

blogs.colette.fr
Hassle 7:26 AM - 12 November, 2011
jesus man, I ain't claiming that.
eder 11:40 AM - 12 November, 2011
Quote:

You praise His glory!
Hassle 3:46 PM - 12 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

You praise His glory!

rickrucker.com
Nicky Blunt 4:55 PM - 12 November, 2011
Quote:

not all UK DJ's play trance!

Frankly imho most edm is awfull (just my opinion) & Id reather not dj at all than play on a controller.

But thats just me
Nicky Blunt 4:56 PM - 12 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol which is lesser of 2 evils I take 1200s and hiphop talk any day

this!!!
Jesus Christ 6:52 PM - 12 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You praise His glory!

rickrucker.com

onfinite.com