DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

A New Soulja Boy Request Record Was Set Tonight

a-swift 6:27 AM - 6 October, 2007
School dance. 1100+ kids (verified). At least 100 requests for Soulja Boy. If you thought I hated this song before tonight, it's in a whole 'nother category of hate now.

Here's the worst thing, I'd already played it. The school asked me to switch up the music a bit and not play so much rap (not like I was anyway but whatever).

So the kids did a near revolt and bugged the head school guy enough times that he came up and asked me to play it AGAIN! So I did and the place went fucking bananas, AGAIN.

Do you think the requests stopped after that? Yeah I wish. After playing it 3 fucking times (i played the uptempo too), I was still getting requests for it.

But wait, that's not all. I got a SHITLOAD of requests for:

* Get Buck (as many or more than soulja boy)
* Ayo Technology
* Gimme More
* We Takin Over
* Me Love
* Walk It Out
* Intensive Rave (whatever the fuck that is)
* Techno (at a high school, you serious?)

Just when I thought I knew high school dances. Those songs are all RANDOM. But seriously that's what they were requesting. Those aren't even the hottest radio songs around here. I didn't even have a clean version of Get Buck I could play. Not only did I not have any "intense rave", I don't even know what it is.
djskiggz 6:47 AM - 6 October, 2007
yeah the kiddies love it for some reason. I hate it. The travis barker remix is cool though.
Dj Silver Glass 7:08 AM - 6 October, 2007
i have at least a million requests for that song. i didn't even listen to it until two days ago when my nephew was listening to his ipod and i was like what is this crap? "it's that new solja boy" no wonder i never put it on my system! lol
Dj Silver Glass 7:09 AM - 6 October, 2007
Quote:

* Intensive Rave (whatever the fuck that is)

allegedly it's more intense that regular rave music.... lol i have no clue what that is either.... lol
Sol*los 8:27 AM - 6 October, 2007
LOL!!! i did a middle school dance last Friday and got the same thing "you got that Soulja Boy" EVERY 2 mins. The thing I hate is they have another dance at the end of this month again.
Beatmaster JT 8:48 AM - 6 October, 2007
Nowdays, I'm waiting till the peak of the night to play soulja boy... and I only play it once now.

They need to learn that I only play it once.

That's all they get.
Maskrider 9:13 AM - 6 October, 2007
Just tonight a birthday for a 14 year old

1.Souljah Boy 5x
2.A bay bay 2x
3.Hey there Delilah 4x
4.Tpain - Shawty 4x
5.Walk it out

That's only like 3 hours of play

I say it's getting out of hand,We have to do something about it.
dj luis 9:54 AM - 6 October, 2007
i djed a couple times for bday parties, houseparties and, obviously, in the club... i just take really different attitudes for the 3 of them...

clubs i try to do my job way better than the night before - beatmix, build a set, do things properly...

in housepartys i try to play whatever people are into and don't really care much about beatmixing as long as everyone is having a good time - after everybody is pissed enough, i just play whatever i want to hear (if i'm not pissed enought by that time)

and for birthdays i ask the party boy (or girl) if i should be playing the requests - if he or she tells me that yeah and requests me ayo tech 50 times, i play it 50 times - after all it's their party and i want them to enjoy as much as possible - same goes for the rest of his friends - that attitude got me a few more parties so i don't mind - they don't as well - it's not pretty but i rather have them really happy - so i don't really mind

just my opinion
a-swift 3:13 PM - 6 October, 2007
well school dances are a little different, we have a contract with them and their discretion on music is priority. if the director comes over and says play cha cha slide or YMCA, you do it. NOW. don't even wait til the end of the song.

the 3rd time i played it, it was the guy actually coming over and saying "go ahead and play it one more time". i somehow have to smile and pretend i'm cool with it.
a-swift 3:39 PM - 6 October, 2007
Quote:
I agree, I was drunk last night when I typed that lol!

i better be drunk next time i have to listen to soulja boy 3 times in a night.
sixxx 4:22 PM - 6 October, 2007
hahahaha. Uuuuuuuuuuuu don't drive the bus.
dirtbag filthy 4:52 PM - 6 October, 2007
ha dub you were crankin dem titties

i didn't even play it last night.....i got some crazy request though

you ever get fooled into playin the hot chicks request because she said she'll do anything if you play it ?
KaGeN 4:59 PM - 6 October, 2007
I'd make sure I know what she's going to do, only load the track and see about getting services paid up front and then drop the track AFTER...
dirtbag filthy 5:05 PM - 6 October, 2007
haha good plan...i didn't fullfill her request...i didn't believe her anyway

i shoulda asked her if she knew what a cleveland steamer was
sixxx 5:10 PM - 6 October, 2007
I think I fell for the 'I will do this if you play that' once. From that day forward it has been 'I will play this AFTER you let me play with that' (no homo).
Dj K.Smith 5:44 PM - 6 October, 2007
You should have busted out the dance with the kids... lol
bandoma 6:11 PM - 6 October, 2007
soulja boy has grown on me. i dont mind playing it.

but about the requests i did an event for a bunch of 18-19 yr old college kids. ive been djn this event for 7 yrs. this yr by far was the worst for requests. and crazy thing was that i was playing all the heaters and they kept coming up and up for requests. this was the first time this happened in the 7 yrs of doing this event.

ive realized that there's a new generation of kids out there. prolly has to do with all the instant gratification that they get. instant msg, text msg, ipods...etc.
Panic City 6:22 PM - 6 October, 2007
Quote:
soulja boy has grown on me. i dont mind playing it.

but about the requests i did an event for a bunch of 18-19 yr old college kids. ive been djn this event for 7 yrs. this yr by far was the worst for requests. and crazy thing was that i was playing all the heaters and they kept coming up and up for requests. this was the first time this happened in the 7 yrs of doing this event.

ive realized that there's a new generation of kids out there. prolly has to do with all the instant gratification that they get. instant msg, text msg, ipods...etc.

nice analyzation bandoma. you are right though. +1

I dont mind playing it either, but once they hear that soulja boy "stab" at the very beginning of the track two things happen.

1. the crowd goes "ohhhhh!!!!".

2. i roll my eyes
KaGeN 6:34 PM - 6 October, 2007
WOW - that shit hits home right there... Even last night spinning house, these are grown up peeps that are all making way too much fuckin money in Corona Del Mar, and I'm still fielding the occasional request...

like Ben Sinclair WORD HOLD ON.. [damn she was hot]

requests are forever
Maskrider 7:09 PM - 6 October, 2007
Like in the clubs they should have a system like text your request and it will pop up on a TV screen
Maskrider 7:11 PM - 6 October, 2007
so we don't have to worry about them comin over the booth and to listen to every single one of them
bandoma 7:13 PM - 6 October, 2007
LOL @

Quote:
2. i roll my eyes

Quote:
Ben Sinclair
Maskrider 7:19 PM - 6 October, 2007
Sheeds 8:13 PM - 6 October, 2007
haha damn, i roll my eyes too..then i throw up a little bit..I'm doing that right now cuz im downloading more soulja boy songs..
dirtbag filthy 9:00 PM - 6 October, 2007
lol kagen thats the request i got last night and eric prydz

hotass chicks to
dirtbag filthy 9:01 PM - 6 October, 2007
maybe it was the same girl hitting every bar and club on the coast... she needed her world hold on
nik39 1:10 PM - 7 October, 2007
At the beginning of last night a guy comes up with his g/f. "Here is the list" and handles me a letter page sized of paper with songs. I was like "wow, wtf is that?" - "you know, the lightjockey last week said that we can write down requests and give it to you. So we thought it would be best to compile a list just of a few songs you have to play"...

WTF?!?!
sopranosupasta 2:37 PM - 7 October, 2007
I actually played Crank Dat last night, an all new low for me....LOL
j cue 3:25 PM - 7 October, 2007
I F$%@kIing hate soldia boy!!!
dj luis 3:42 PM - 7 October, 2007
Quote:
At the beginning of last night a guy comes up with his g/f. "Here is the list" and handles me a letter page sized of paper with songs. I was like "wow, wtf is that?" - "you know, the lightjockey last week said that we can write down requests and give it to you. So we thought it would be best to compile a list just of a few songs you have to play"...

WTF?!?!

LOL! i mean..errr.. WTF? dickheads..
DJ Overpour 8:51 PM - 7 October, 2007
Tell him you cant read or somethin....FUCK THAT!!
Julls 2:36 AM - 8 October, 2007
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Overpour 2:40 AM - 8 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

MAN hold up let me get these buck naked hoes up out of my house!! LMAO
ienycepnoyi 2:52 AM - 8 October, 2007
did a sweet 16 last night, got nothing but requests of soulja boy and every other snap song in the world. i did a set of all of them and switched them up quickly because i couldnt stand hearing each one for more than a minute
DjRekTek 3:37 AM - 8 October, 2007
Had a dude come up to me askin for Soulja....told em str8...aint got it! sorry
Dj Silver Glass 5:55 AM - 8 October, 2007
Quote:
Like in the clubs they should have a system like text your request and it will pop up on a TV screen

www.firetext.tv

www.textdemon.com

www.mobileadverchat.com
djpuma_gemini 6:22 AM - 8 October, 2007
Has anyone heard the soulja boy cousin cole remix. That shit is bangin I am not going to lie.

I just found got this and googled and look what I find
[link removed]
a-swift 3:16 PM - 8 October, 2007
well after the weekend was all said and done, all gigs combined, i got more requests for get buck than soulja boy. somehow i'm never all that pissed about that, except for the requests i got at the school dance since i did not have a clean version so i didnt play it.
DJ Jonasty 9:30 PM - 8 October, 2007
Yeah, I played the HS homecoming on Saturday and had to play Crank that twice. Most requests were for Souljah, pop drop it lock it, lean like a cholo, and candy? Big hip hop night, after a 2 song Electro set the kids were rushing the booth like it was free seconds on sloppy joe day. Spun Satisfaction, into Proper Education, into Donque by Will I.Am, and I get will you play some hip hop, I says "this is hip hop" as the snoop verse drops. All in all a good night though..
dirtbag filthy 9:45 PM - 8 October, 2007
wait till you hear soulja girl....i just heard it on the way home from getting a smog test

shit is waccckkk
KaGeN 10:03 PM - 8 October, 2007
no worse than the other one.....
a-swift 10:30 PM - 8 October, 2007
Quote:
no worse than the other one.....

[c] - unit x, short career predictive analysis engage
[x] - aye aye captain,engaged
[c] - well, c'mon! what's the estimate dammit!
[x] - uhhm, i'm getting an error here captain
[c] - what does it say already?
[x] - it says can not compute career peak in past
[c] - who writes these damn error messages, wtf does that mean!
[x] - wipe me down
Gor 10:34 PM - 8 October, 2007
Get Buck isn't that bad is it? I have to admit i like it.
a-swift 10:54 PM - 8 October, 2007
Quote:
Get Buck isn't that bad is it? I have to admit i like it.

i like it, we takin over too
nik39 11:09 PM - 8 October, 2007
Get Buck from DJ Feli? Dooope.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:14 PM - 8 October, 2007
im giving away my soulja girl promo! any takers? PLEASE??? LOL kidding.
dirtbag filthy 11:15 PM - 8 October, 2007
BK all day..videos.onsmash.com
Gor 11:16 PM - 8 October, 2007
Quote:

I thought he was talking about Young Buck - Get Buck
Dr. Funk 12:16 AM - 9 October, 2007
oh god...I was doing a Video dance party for 13 and YOUNGER friday night.... I got the request sheet back...and by the end of the night there was a STACK of requests for Crank that .... I hadn't heard the song until YESTERDAY for whatever reason .....and i'm glad i didn't play it on Friday!!! What a shit track...HOW HOW HOW has it become SOOOO popular?????????
bourbonstmc 1:52 AM - 9 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I thought he was talking about Young Buck - Get Buck

Yeah, one girl this Saturday specified "by DJ Felli Fell". Good thing, otherwise I would've thought she was talking about Young Buck.
Serato, Support
Matt G 2:18 AM - 9 October, 2007
Quote:
I just found got this and googled and look what I find

djpuma_gemini, you have been asked before not to illegally share music on this site. This is your final warning: do not illegally share music on this site or I will ban you.
djpuma_gemini 6:27 AM - 9 October, 2007
sorry matt
a-swift 5:22 PM - 21 October, 2007
i can't stop playing soulja boy now. i've even started doing crunk dances in the booth.
cappinkirk 9:00 PM - 22 October, 2007
tHE sOULJA bOY rEMIX
[link removed]

dOWNLOAD iT fROM hERE:
[link removed]
Serato, Support
Matt G 11:31 PM - 22 October, 2007
cappinkirk, please do not use this site to illegally distribute tracks. Unless you've gained the appropriate permissions to distribute your remix, it's not legal to do so. Thanks.
cappinkirk 11:35 PM - 22 October, 2007
oh my bad
cappinkirk 11:36 PM - 22 October, 2007
i thought people put their blends up here? not to do?
justdizle 5:58 PM - 23 October, 2007
soulja boy yuggggggghhhhh pfff u cant front on that song in the club, some of yall hate to love it, its about havin fun in the club right? have fun right? kid did his thing...
some say the dance is stoopid, the song is cawrny (i know how to spell stupid and corny) but please tell me what an intelligent is supposed to look likevlol
Beatmaster JT 8:10 PM - 28 October, 2007
I was at the mall last night and saw some little white skater kid practicing the soulja boy dance on the sidewalk...he was trying to do it on the down-low so as not to make a scene...then his bro came out of the store and asked him how to do it. So random.
Mr. Goodkat 8:37 PM - 28 October, 2007
you coulda played "G thing" at my school dance 50 times and no one would have cared. I'm old