DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

BPM

dj royston 9:13 PM - 13 October, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.3.1
Hardware: scratchlive-sl3
Computer: pc
OS Version: vista32
---

Hi I am trying to find out what is the best bpm range for the following genres: R&B , Dance , House , Pop , and Hip Hop. All of the genres are in seperate folders.
10:26 PM, 13 Oct 2011
Discussion moved to DJing Discussion
djpuma_gemini 10:50 PM - 13 October, 2011
stick with a round # like 80 or 90
djmallon 10:59 PM - 13 October, 2011
I like to keep them all one number so I don't have to move my pitch control
Audio1 11:00 PM - 13 October, 2011
The best stuff is at 140bpm.
Dj Shamann 11:06 PM - 13 October, 2011
Does anybody just feel music anymore?
Dj Shamann 11:07 PM - 13 October, 2011
*Doesn't
DeezNotes 11:09 PM - 13 October, 2011
You should sort your crates by BPM. It flows gooder.
djmallon 11:14 PM - 13 October, 2011
Quote:
The best stuff is at 140bpm.

man you're crazy. 70 is better
latindj 11:22 PM - 13 October, 2011
bpm should come second. first you need to organize by key. tap the keys on your piano until you find the one that matches the song you are keying and continue on with the next and so on and on...then do bpm...
eder 11:29 PM - 13 October, 2011
I like to spin my sets in alphabetical order via the artist. That way at the end of the night I know I played everything from Adele to ZZ Top.
Jesus Christ 11:45 PM - 13 October, 2011
Quote:
I like to spin my sets in alphabetical order via the artist. That way at the end of the night I know I played everything from Adele to ZZ Top.

That's what I used to do. Now I play by track name. I'll play a hip hop set and play 24's, into 30-something, into 99 problems, into A Bay Bay, A Milli, Act a Fool, Ain't No Fun, All About U, etc. The crowd loved the jagged programming and are always caught off guard. As a matter of fact, I haven't paid attention to BPMs in over 2 years. I mean who really cares besides DJ's if 2 songs match??? I don't even have my BPM column showing any more.
dj_soo 12:24 AM - 14 October, 2011
Quote:

You realize changing the bpm field doesn't actually change the Nm of the track? Just checking cause that's sort of a n00bish statement you have right there...
reggae delgado 12:24 AM - 14 October, 2011
What does BPM stand for?
On another note, the poor OP probably wishes this were left outside of the DJing discussion!
Dj Shamann 12:34 AM - 14 October, 2011
Viva la DJing discussion!
dj royston 12:57 AM - 14 October, 2011
Well I'm not too familiar with bpm range settings in serato .I set my bpm Range at 58 - 115 , it set my songs from the range of 64 - 115 This is for my R & B Songs and idk if that's correct
Dj matty k 1:09 AM - 14 October, 2011
I used to use a range then stopped because i was going the 78-155 and when i was scanning some tracks that were less seato doubles the bpm so i was getting like 150 bpm RNB and i should of been 75 what you find is if it doesnt fit in the range it will double or half the bpm to fit in the range you set so i leave mine with nothing now :-) and it seems to do the whole range fine :-)
dj royston 1:19 AM - 14 October, 2011
thank you Dj matty k
Dj matty k 1:42 AM - 14 October, 2011
No prob :-)
dj_soo 1:42 AM - 14 October, 2011
Quote:
I used to use a range then stopped because i was going the 78-155 and when i was scanning some tracks that were less seato doubles the bpm so i was getting like 150 bpm RNB and i should of been 75 what you find is if it doesnt fit in the range it will double or half the bpm to fit in the range you set so i leave mine with nothing now :-) and it seems to do the whole range fine :-)

you realize there's an easy way to double of halve the bpms in serato?

Just select all the tunes that are doubled or halved, double click on the bpm, then hold Alt + the Up arrow key (to double) or the Down arrow key (to halve).

It will then mass double or halve whatever is selected.
Dj matty k 1:54 AM - 14 October, 2011
Yep i knew thats had to do it to all the tracks that were doubles and halfs pain tbh so now i just leave it with no range and i get the bpm of all tracks and not doubled of halfed just to fit in a range i set :-)

I dont really see what the point of the range is really if you do you whole libary you are never going to have all your tracks in a selected range i have 60bpm to 170bpm tracks in mine :-)
And having it set to 78-155 is pointless

But if anyone can fill me in with some detail of the range bit the that would be good or have i hit the nail on the head if it does all ranges when you have it set to none :-)
djmallon 2:17 AM - 14 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

You realize changing the bpm field doesn't actually change the Nm of the track? Just checking cause that's sort of a n00bish statement you have right there...

crap really?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!
dj_soo 2:20 AM - 14 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.gifsforum.com
DeezNotes 2:44 AM - 14 October, 2011
lolz
DJ K-Zee 3:13 AM - 14 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you DJ so bad that...
djmallon 2:27 PM - 14 October, 2011
you guys are hilarious
djpuma_gemini 3:41 PM - 14 October, 2011
I don't use a range.
Unless you know all the songs you are scanning are within that range.
djgrits7 4:00 PM - 14 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

That's what I used to do. Now I play by track name. I'll play a hip hop set and play 24's, into 30-something, into 99 problems, into A Bay Bay, A Milli, Act a Fool, Ain't No Fun, All About U, etc. The crowd loved the jagged programming and are always caught off guard. As a matter of fact, I haven't paid attention to BPMs in over 2 years. I mean who really cares besides DJ's if 2 songs match??? I don't even have my BPM column showing any more.

whoahhh, if u throw out the bpm column man and ur songs aren't even relatively close in bpm, how do you mix then man?? seriously tho, like beatmatchin, etc??
Jesus Christ 4:06 PM - 14 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

whoahhh, if u throw out the bpm column man and ur songs aren't even relatively close in bpm, how do you mix then man?? seriously tho, like beatmatchin, etc??

People still beatmatch? That's crazy! It's 2011 people. We're not on the Saturday mixshow on the local hip hop station. We're dropping heat after heat and getting people to scream "Yo!!! That's my shit!!!" Why are you concerned with BPMs? Just slam a hot song into another hot song. If the beats sound close, then try and mix 1 or 1/2 a bar and drop an airhorn. Man... you guys are just making this way too hard on yourselves.
dj-freestyle 4:13 PM - 14 October, 2011
wow i lost for words right now.
latindj 4:25 PM - 14 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

People still beatmatch? That's crazy! It's 2011 people. We're not on the Saturday mixshow on the local hip hop station. We're dropping heat after heat and getting people to scream "Yo!!! That's my shit!!!" Why are you concerned with BPMs? Just slam a hot song into another hot song. If the beats sound close, then try and mix 1 or 1/2 a bar and drop an airhorn. Man... you guys are just making this way too hard on yourselves.

THIS!!! +100000000000000000
phonze 5:59 PM - 14 October, 2011
scratch scratch scratch, slam, scratch scratch scratch slam, etc.
dj-freestyle 6:05 PM - 14 October, 2011
Again lost for words. maybe spend some time actaully practicing. i no a strange concept. i spent 3 years in a basement just learning to beatmatch. a lost art of djing
djpuma_gemini 6:54 PM - 14 October, 2011
I've heard djs' slam tracks in and the crowd loves it way more than mixing. I'm going to start doing that, plus you can jump around with songs easier. Go from 120 to 90 or even 140 to 70.
Jesus Christ 7:01 PM - 14 October, 2011
Quote:
scratch scratch scratch, slam, scratch scratch scratch slam, etc.

Exactly. Why waste time beatmatching when 99% of the people in the club don't care?

Quote:
Again lost for words. maybe spend some time actaully practicing. i no a strange concept. i spent 3 years in a basement just learning to beatmatch. a lost art of djing

What? haha. I've been DJing since1983. I can beatmatch with my eyes closed. But as with anything that you practice at, I've made myself a more efficient machine. It's like sex with my girl. What I used to take hours doing, I can get done in 3 minutes or less. So why waste time beatmatching? They don't want to hear perfect 32 beat transitions in clubs. I can go through about 350-500 songs in a 2 hour set at the club. Efficiency! Maybe you should practice THAT!
Jesus Christ 7:02 PM - 14 October, 2011
Quote:
I've heard djs' slam tracks in and the crowd loves it way more than mixing. I'm going to start doing that, plus you can jump around with songs easier. Go from 120 to 90 or even 140 to 70.

See? Now THAT is a professional club DJ.
phonze 7:07 PM - 14 October, 2011
I don't know about slamming in songs with huge gaps like 120-90. But there are a couple of instances I like to do it. For example, drop rusko da cali anthem and at the right moment slam in california love and you're into a 90's to early 2000 hip hop set if you want.
djpuma_gemini 7:14 PM - 14 October, 2011
akon hypnotize to biggie

hammer into dance (a.s.s.)

party rock anthem into no sleep (2 hot songs crowd doesn't care about lyrics matching)
sixxx 7:50 PM - 14 October, 2011
I started the codes thing and now I started something new that will revolutionize DJ as we know it.

Ready?

I sort and play music by last names.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 8:12 PM - 14 October, 2011
Quote:
I started the codes thing and now I started something new that will revolutionize DJ as we know it.

Ready?

I sort and play music by last names.

Genius... I'm gonna steal that idea. No need for me to be original when I can just bite someones style
#winning
latindj 9:05 PM - 14 October, 2011
I got you all beat hands down...I'm starting a new trend in my area where I mix two songs together because their names mashed together make a new better title....I call it "namemashups". For instance, I will mix "california gurlz" with "humpty dance" because california gurls humpty dance sounds good as a title. Or, I'll mix "the adventures of rain dance maggie" with "in da club" and get "the adventures of rain dance maggie in da club"...get it? Try it, people go nutz!!!
Dysquo 2:29 AM - 15 October, 2011
Quote:
I got you all beat hands down...I'm starting a new trend in my area where I mix two songs together because their names mashed together make a new better title....I call it "namemashups". For instance, I will mix "california gurlz" with "humpty dance" because california gurls humpty dance sounds good as a title. Or, I'll mix "the adventures of rain dance maggie" with "in da club" and get "the adventures of rain dance maggie in da club"...get it? Try it, people go nutz!!!

Ha Ha Ha
HandsomeRobDJ 1:27 PM - 15 October, 2011
Quote:
bpm should come second. first you need to organize by key. tap the keys on your piano until you find the one that matches the song you are keying and continue on with the next and so on and on...then do bpm...

MIK.... I don't know what else to say
dj-freestyle 3:40 PM - 17 October, 2011
brilliant and if smashing songs takes practice then you might want to rethink your line of work.