DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

desktop comp acting weird help

djskiggz 6:12 AM - 2 October, 2007
ok i dont know whats wrong...my desktop comp keeps acting strange. For some reason, sometimes it wont boot up. I press the on button and it i hear the hard drive powering up and everything but the normal "Beep" sound it makes before it starts up does not go on nor do I see anything on my monitor. I just sits there in limbo doing nothing. Im completely confused.

This has been happening for the past week...sometimes im able to get it on if i flick the on and off button in the back and then kick the damn tower on the side but right now its not going back on...

im stumped anyone know whats wrong?

windows xp p4 1.6
sixxx 6:13 AM - 2 October, 2007
Could the HD be going bad? Once you have finally boot it up. Run some diagnostics on it.
djskiggz 6:14 AM - 2 October, 2007
ok it decided to work now, i just flicked the switch off in the back while i was typing this post and then switched it back on and tried and it worked. wtf????????
djskiggz 6:16 AM - 2 October, 2007
Hmmm it could be the hard drive?

I have 2 hard drives in it...my c drive is what has my windows and all my applications..my d is where all my files are stored. Should i run like scan disk and defrag or what?
sixxx 6:18 AM - 2 October, 2007
Do a complete diagnostics check. If it's a good program, it will also check the hard drives. You may have problems with a boot file or worst comes to worst a failing HD.
djskiggz 6:20 AM - 2 October, 2007
alright now it just froze @ my desktop. I tried to reset but just silence and black screen. Fuk
djskiggz 6:25 AM - 2 October, 2007
thanks sixxx, I think you may be right about the HD. Its kinda old maybe like 5 years old. Ill try running that shit to see if it helps. ANyone else know anything about this prob?
djskiggz 6:27 AM - 2 October, 2007
any suggestions for a program to use sixxx?
RnBDJkb 7:48 PM - 5 October, 2007
djskiggz, if you can get it to re-boot
try booting into safe-mode and run your diagnostics from there
also try START>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative tools>Event Viewer
Check the Application and system logs there to determine what is causing your boot/blue screen issues.
Hope this helps.
RnBDJkb 7:50 PM - 5 October, 2007
oh yea, some programs to test your computer
PC-Certify and PC Diag, these will test hard drive performance for you.
Sixxx may have more suggestions for you.
Boba Tha Hut 8:33 PM - 5 October, 2007
Quote:
djskiggz, if you can get it to re-boot
try booting into safe-mode and run your diagnostics from there
also try START>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative tools>Event Viewer
Check the Application and system logs there to determine what is causing your boot/blue screen issues.
Hope this helps.

This is not going to diagnosis lower level problems such as motherboards issues, memory issues since the OS has not loaded yet.

Do you get any error messages? What do you see on the screen when "it's in limbo"

If you boot the computer and don't see ANYTHING. No, splash screen, no BIOS information etc, then it's something else besides the hard drive. I would check all the cables to the monitor first.

If you do see something on the screen then it could be something else such as memory, or most likely bad system board. If you are able to boot up into Win XP, check the hard drive

go to Start - Run - type in CMD and hit ok - at the command prompt type in

chkdsk /f

You'll have to do a reboot.

Boot back into XP and then check event viewer - Right click My Computer - select Manage - right hand side check Event viewer - System. Look for any red X error messages.

I suggest you do a back up of all your key files to another storage media as soon as possible.
RnBDJkb 8:39 PM - 5 October, 2007
Good help, Boba
sounds like Skiggs can use it
DJ Michael Basic 8:45 PM - 5 October, 2007
If it's not beeping it's not even doing the POST which is the Pre Operating System Test. This means either a bad stick of RAM or a video card that isn't properly seated, or a failing motherboard.

Usually it's the RAM. If you have 2 sticks of RAM in your computer, try taking one of them out and booting the computer...if it still acts weird, put that one back in and take the other one out...most times you'll find one of your sticks of RAM is bad and the computer will boot fine with just 1 stick.
djpuma_gemini 10:12 PM - 5 October, 2007
Ok it could be the motherboard as well or something like the others stated.
At geek squad we use a program called ubcd. It is freeware and will check everything. HD, Ram, CPu.

Try like Michael Basic said, by swapping the ram.
I doubt it is an OS issue if it freezes up before post.
Open up your pc and look at the motherboard.

Take a look at the caps (capacitors). If any look like this
www.pavelec.net (no logout)
Then you have a bad mobo. They should look like this
www.hardware-one.com
Flat on top. If they are popped out like first pic. It is time to get a new mobo or check to see if it is under warranty still.
PM for more help if needed.
Boba Tha Hut 10:37 PM - 5 October, 2007
Probably not under warranty since he said the HD was 5 years old. I'm assuming the HD is the same age as the computer.

Since his machine is 5 years old, probably not worth putting money into something that old. He may not be even able to get a motherboard for his desktop if it's that old.

Back up your files now, otherwise you might regret it if it's a HD issue.
djskiggz 2:05 AM - 6 October, 2007
thanks for all the info guys.
djpuma_gemini 3:11 AM - 6 October, 2007
BYOPC
build your own pc.
djskiggz 6:42 AM - 6 October, 2007
i did. But this was like 6 or 7 years ago when i was a computer geek playing counterstrike and quake 3 all day.
djpuma_gemini 5:09 PM - 6 October, 2007
Haha.
Good shit.
Now it's bioshock and WOW
dj luis 8:04 PM - 6 October, 2007
Quote:
If it's not beeping it's not even doing the POST which is the Pre Operating System Test. This means either a bad stick of RAM or a video card that isn't properly seated, or a failing motherboard.

Usually it's the RAM. If you have 2 sticks of RAM in your computer, try taking one of them out and booting the computer...if it still acts weird, put that one back in and take the other one out...most times you'll find one of your sticks of RAM is bad and the computer will boot fine with just 1 stick.

+1