DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

A new low... YouTube DJs!

Tunecrew 3:20 AM - 2 October, 2011
last night I witnessed the most insane thing ever - headlined an event and the opener was a Virtual DJ laptop DJ (no controller or anything)

so I'm watching this guy - here is what he was doing:

1 - go on YouTube and find a song
2 - use a video-to-mp3 site and rip the YouTube clip to an mp3
3 - load the mp3 into Virtual DJ and play it
4 - repeat for next song, while the last song is playing

the young generation doesn't even have a digital library anymore? is this the DJ version of the cloud???
O.B.1 4:20 AM - 2 October, 2011
handy for on the spot requests i guess... but sound quality is most certainly an issue!
djvtyme85 4:56 AM - 2 October, 2011
okay that shit is just fucking wrong LMAO

now its one thing if you get a request, dont have the song and need it NOW & you do what you have to do for the time being...but to run an entire set like that for one is risky to say the least. futher more WTF it is just wrong...

pretty soon no one will get paid for this shit unless your sometype of celeb. the days of club dj and mobile dj getting paid will be done because of shit like this.... every fake f****g son of a....lol sorry...with a laptop & youtube lol taking gigs? lol I DOUBT IT but very entertaining to watch

Yes A NEW LOW! smdh
skinnyguy 7:40 PM - 2 October, 2011
A legit copy of cdj is supposed to have online song search capabilities without leaving the program.....with a wifi source of course. Not sure how it works, but I don't think it's as how you stated the other guy was operating.
Tunecrew 8:38 PM - 2 October, 2011
def not using VDJ song search - every single song straight from YouTube

most likely not a legit VDJ copy either

the other fun part was at the end of the night he went back on, and his VDJ/crap PC laptop started to bug out, so he asked me to play a song - so I played a song so he could sort his issues - next thing I know I see him with his laptop heading out the door...

ah professionals...
RogerRabbit 8:49 PM - 2 October, 2011
Quote:
last night I witnessed the most insane thing ever - headlined an event and the opener was a Virtual DJ laptop DJ (no controller or anything)

so I'm watching this guy - here is what he was doing:

1 - go on YouTube and find a song
2 - use a video-to-mp3 site and rip the YouTube clip to an mp3
3 - load the mp3 into Virtual DJ and play it
4 - repeat for next song, while the last song is playing

the young generation doesn't even have a digital library anymore? is this the DJ version of the cloud???

Why is this a low? That is pretty dam ingenious ! Dude was thinking outside the box.

Newsflash - virtual DJ has a built in crossfader in the their software their is no need for a controller.

Itch and a controller is the same as just using virtual dj and a laptop - anyone who doesn't see that is fooling themselves. And many guys here use Itch..

Now the cloud issue - it is coming. You can already play an entire set of main stream music through the vdj subscription service.

It would be great if scratch live/itch allowed users to stream the Whitelabel catalog through their software.

It is since the music on YouTube is legal(vevo/ official artist channels) and the browser software plugins are legal - it is debatable if what his was doing was illegal.
Tunecrew 8:54 PM - 2 October, 2011
Quote:
Why is this a low? That is pretty dam ingenious ! Dude was thinking outside the box.

Newsflash - virtual DJ has a built in crossfader in the their software their is no need for a controller.

Itch and a controller is the same as just using virtual dj and a laptop - anyone who doesn't see that is fooling themselves. And many guys here use Itch..

Now the cloud issue - it is coming. You can already play an entire set of main stream music through the vdj subscription service.

It would be great if scratch live/itch allowed users to stream the Whitelabel catalog through their software.

It is since the music on YouTube is legal(vevo/ official artist channels) and the browser software plugins are legal - it is debatable if what his was doing was illegal.

I agree it is inventive.

Everything else I disagree with - first I am not hating on laptop djs, wavies, controllers, etc. I use Itch with a VCI-300 as well as TSP2 with an S4 quite frequently, but this guy couldn't mix at all, the transitions were just ugly trainwrecks.

I wasn't commenting on the legality of it either - having no library and playing from the cloud is unprofessional to the extreme - so if the internet goes down what happens? I don't care where you get your music, although ripping from YouTube is usually not the highest quality source, but if you're gonna do that at least do it before your set...
skinnyguy 9:11 PM - 2 October, 2011
itch with a controller is not same as vdj and a laptop. itch canNOT be unlocked without hardware present. there is no physical xfader on a laptop.
Serato
dave 9:14 PM - 2 October, 2011
RogerRabbit 9:14 PM - 2 October, 2011
Quote:
but this guy couldn't mix at all, the transitions were just ugly trainwrecks.

Haha - but the crowd was having fun regardless anyway right?

Quote:
having no library and playing from the cloud is unprofessional to the extreme - so if the internet goes down what happens?

It is unprofessional to you because it is not widely practiced YET. Having your music on the cloud is being pushed ALOT, it is going to be a reality in the upcoming years.

Broadband is becoming faster and internet infrastructure is becoming more stable.
Tunecrew 9:19 PM - 2 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
but this guy couldn't mix at all, the transitions were just ugly trainwrecks.

Haha - but the crowd was having fun regardless anyway right?

Quote:
having no library and playing from the cloud is unprofessional to the extreme - so if the internet goes down what happens?

It is unprofessional to you because it is not widely practiced YET. Having your music on the cloud is being pushed ALOT, it is going to be a reality in the upcoming years.

Broadband is becoming faster and internet infrastructure is becoming more stable.

the crowd was confused cause this guy SUCKED as a dj - mixing from Swedish House Mafia into Korn and then into 90s dancehall

not in a million years would i play off the cloud - i do everything in my power to be as redundant as possible when i play out - backup cds with music, ipod, usb stick with music, etc. - the last i would do is have my primary sound source be over the internet, regardless of how good the infrastructure is, the downtime of the internet and the complexities of routing etc. have a far more likelihood of failure than a well maintained laptop.

not to mention this was Jamaica, where nothing is reliable...
RogerRabbit 9:35 PM - 2 October, 2011
Quote:
itch with a controller is not same as vdj and a laptop. itch canNOT be unlocked without hardware present. there is no physical xfader on a laptop.

You obviously missed my point..

Quote:
not in a million years would i play off the cloud - i do everything in my power to be as redundant as possible when i play out - backup cds with music, ipod, usb stick with music, etc. - the last i would do is have my primary sound source be over the internet, regardless of how good the infrastructure is, the downtime of the internet and the complexities of routing etc. have a far more likelihood of failure than a well maintained lapto

I am sure in the 90's if someone told you 10 years you don't have to carry all those records around to a dance anymore - all you would need is 2 records and a laptop - you would have laughed at them.

The cloud is a young concept, you'll change your mind in the future..
Tunecrew 9:49 PM - 2 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
not in a million years would i play off the cloud - i do everything in my power to be as redundant as possible when i play out - backup cds with music, ipod, usb stick with music, etc. - the last i would do is have my primary sound source be over the internet, regardless of how good the infrastructure is, the downtime of the internet and the complexities of routing etc. have a far more likelihood of failure than a well maintained lapto

I am sure in the 90's if someone told you 10 years you don't have to carry all those records around to a dance anymore - all you would need is 2 records and a laptop - you would have laughed at them.

The cloud is a young concept, you'll change your mind in the future..

nah i am always ahead on technology - but not all new technology is a better way to do things...
AKIEM 1:34 AM - 3 October, 2011
DJing from online is a dumb idea that serves no purpose and never will.
(unless they outlaw music files)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:29 PM - 3 October, 2011
Quote:

One part that is definitely ILLEGAL is playing the song in a public venue.

But we ALL do that...
Tunecrew 2:31 PM - 3 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

But we ALL do that...

its not illegal if the venue has paid the performing rights society(ies) that it needs to, which any legit venue should have
Tunecrew 2:32 PM - 3 October, 2011

HAHAHAHAH

that's insane

will Serato YouTube edition come out soon??? j/k
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:37 PM - 3 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But we ALL do that...

its not illegal if the venue has paid the performing rights society(ies) that it needs to, which any legit venue should have

I have YET to work in one....
Tunecrew 2:39 PM - 3 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But we ALL do that...

sorry for them when ASCAP/BMI/PRS/etc show up
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:57 PM - 3 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But we ALL do that...

Strange, I've NEVER heard of a club/bar/entertainment venue in the TRI-STATE area that got shut down, or even notified regarding having to comply.

They have better luck in MOBILE, AL.
Tunecrew 3:04 PM - 3 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But we ALL do that...

Strange, I've NEVER heard of a club/bar/entertainment venue in the TRI-STATE area that got shut down, or even notified regarding having to comply.

here's a few: www.filmmusicmag.com

i'm curious how you know whether the venue's that you play in are licensed or not? do you ask?
DJ Alkemy 5:24 PM - 3 October, 2011
Quote:
but the crowd was having fun regardless anyway right?

So basically, if this guy turns up with shitty software, a laptop and shitty sounding youtube rips thats fine. As long as the crowd enjoy it?.

Well we might aswell all give up because the years most DJ's spent practising mixing, blending, scratching, juggling etc dont mean shit. Oh well.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:57 PM - 3 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But we ALL do that...

here's a few: www.filmmusicmag.com

i'm curious how you know whether the venue's that you play in are licensed or not? do you ask?

Uhhh, that was written in 2008.....
Tunecrew 5:59 PM - 3 October, 2011
what does that matter - they sue places all the time, some time correctly and sometime not correctly

trust me ASCAP/BMI/SESAC are big and serious about that and have lots and lots of lawyers
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:10 PM - 3 October, 2011
How do you know that they are still actively doing it? They may have just said "F-IT", we'll do something ELSE....

Like wait until EVERYTHING is digital, start embedding tracks with Trogen ds"trackers" or something, throw the switch and lock everything down, and not allow it to play without a digital licensing scheme...

It's not too far off, or better yet, LOCK DOWN THE SOFTWARE that plays the tracks...

It's not too far off...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:08 AM - 4 October, 2011
Quote:
How do you know that they are still actively doing it? They may have just said "F-IT", we'll do something ELSE....

Like wait until EVERYTHING is digital, start embedding tracks with Trogen ds"trackers" or something, throw the switch and lock everything down, and not allow it to play without a digital licensing scheme...

It's not too far off, or better yet, LOCK DOWN THE SOFTWARE that plays the tracks...

It's not too far off...

You see this?

Told you...

These cats are going NEXT LEVEL...

Quote:
The Supreme Court let stand on Monday a ruling that a traditional Internet download of sound recording does not constitute a public performance of the recorded musical work under federal copyright law.
The justices refused to review a ruling by an appeals court in New York that the download itself of a musical work does not fall within the law's definition of a public performance of that work.
The not-for-profit American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) appealed to the Supreme Court. It said the ruling has profound implications for the nation's music industry, costing its members tens of millions of dollars in potential royalties each year.
ASCAP says more than 390,000 composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers in the United States exclusively license their music through the organization. It licenses nearly half of all of the musical works played online, according to the court record in the case.
The federal government opposed the appeal. U.S. Solicitor General Donald Verrilli said the appeals court's ruling was correct and comported with common understanding and sound copyright policy.

ASCAP argued that digital downloads were also public performances for which the copyright owners must be compensated.

But a federal judge and the appeals court rejected that argument.

At issue was a section of the Copyright Act stating that to perform a work means to recite, render, play, dance or act it either directly or by means of any device or process.
"Music is neither recited, rendered, nor played when a recording (electronic or otherwise) is simply delivered to a potential listener," the appeals court ruled.
Verrilli agreed. He said that the downloading itself was not a performance of the work and the musical work was not played during the transfer.
Washington attorney Theodore Olson, a Bush administration solicitor general, represented ASCAP in the appeal.
He said the appeals court ruling improperly narrowed the right to perform copyrighted musical works publicly and placed the United States in violation of intellectual property treaties and other international agreements.
The Supreme Court denied the appeal without comment.
The appeals court also ruled that fees paid by Yahoo Inc and RealNetworks Inc for licenses to play music on the Internet should be recalculated. That part of the ruling was not at issue before the Supreme Court.
The Supreme Court case is ASCAP v. United States, No. 10-1337.

So you see "HOW" they are playing the game?
Tunecrew 5:31 AM - 4 October, 2011
I am a producer and DJ, a songwriter with PRS, and I run a record label and a publishing company, so I appreciate all sides of this.

Believe me when I tell you ASCAP etc. are collecting their license fees from venues - it is one of their primary source sof income.

Do they go overboard, per the aforementioned case... yes - but the PROs primary (and only) source of income is licensing public performance of compositions, so they are going after that first and foremost, from broadcasters, venues, etc. They are not saying screw licensing venues, you're woefully uninformed if you think that.
SiRocket 6:06 AM - 4 October, 2011
thats my new excuse if im drunk and trainwreck... "i played your billboard music, and added trainwreck efx, don't you guys love it? having fun right??" ..

haha!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:43 PM - 4 October, 2011
Quote:
They are not saying screw licensing venues, you're woefully uninformed if you think that.

You must not know that I am the top technical guy at a Major Airport or Bridge/Tunnel crossing near you, so I already know the Technical BACKEND of things, and I'm telling you, their efforts would be BEST spent (and it looks that way per my post) not trying to get the little man, but the whole damn structure that supports the little man.

Can you imagine what kinda LOOT would be coming their way if they could equate simply DOWNLOADING a song as being a performance?

And who they'd pass the "savings" along to?

First off, they'd tax your Internet Service Provider...and either levy THEM, or have them directly charge the customer PER download, assuming they're able to identify an mp3 or other musical format on the fly.

THAT'S BIG BUSINESS.
Logisticalstyles 2:11 PM - 4 October, 2011
Quote:

It's not too far off...

This is why I will always keep my wax and 1200s.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:19 PM - 4 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

It's not too far off...

This is why I will always keep my wax and 1200s.

Right, but unfortunately, nothing CURRENT is on wax...
Logisticalstyles 8:26 PM - 4 October, 2011
True. And that's a good thing. Imagine having to buy 2 copies of Racks on Racks on Racks.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:00 PM - 4 October, 2011
Quote:
True. And that's a good thing. Imagine having to buy 2 copies of Racks on Racks on Racks.

I would have been out of business a LOOONGGG time ago..

Actually, my crowd kinda sticks with the Classic R&B, HipHop,House staples....but will OCCASSIONALY want some "Newness"....

So, I would have been good...but those crates ain't makin' me any younger...
Crickett 9:00 PM - 4 October, 2011
Quote:

You'd need 2 copies... More like Racks on Racks on Racks on Racks on Racks on Racks.
SiRocket 2:54 AM - 5 October, 2011
lol at crickett.
DJMark 4:58 AM - 5 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

It's not too far off...

You see this?

Told you...

These cats are going NEXT LEVEL...

Quote:
The Supreme Court let stand on Monday a ruling that a traditional Internet download of sound recording does not constitute a public performance of the recorded musical work under federal copyright law.
The justices refused to review a ruling by an appeals court in New York that the download itself of a musical work does not fall within the law's definition of a public performance of that work.
The not-for-profit American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) appealed to the Supreme Court. It said the ruling has profound implications for the nation's music industry, costing its members tens of millions of dollars in potential royalties each year.
ASCAP says more than 390,000 composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers in the United States exclusively license their music through the organization. It licenses nearly half of all of the musical works played online, according to the court record in the case.
The federal government opposed the appeal. U.S. Solicitor General Donald Verrilli said the appeals court's ruling was correct and comported with common understanding and sound copyright policy.

ASCAP argued that digital downloads were also public performances for which the copyright owners must be compensated.

But a federal judge and the appeals court rejected that argument.

At issue was a section of the Copyright Act stating that to perform a work means to recite, render, play, dance or act it either directly or by means of any device or process.
"Music is neither recited, rendered, nor played when a recording (electronic or otherwise) is simply delivered to a potential listener," the appeals court ruled.
Verrilli agreed. He said that the downloading itself was not a performance of the work and the musical work was not played during the transfer.
Washington attorney Theodore Olson, a Bush administration solicitor general, represented ASCAP in the appeal.
He said the appeals court ruling improperly narrowed the right to perform copyrighted musical works publicly and placed the United States in violation of intellectual property treaties and other international agreements.
The Supreme Court denied the appeal without comment.
The appeals court also ruled that fees paid by Yahoo Inc and RealNetworks Inc for licenses to play music on the Internet should be recalculated. That part of the ruling was not at issue before the Supreme Court.
The Supreme Court case is ASCAP v. United States, No. 10-1337.

So you see "HOW" they are playing the game?

Just curious, where did you find this?

Glad to hear they lost that round, at any rate.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:46 AM - 5 October, 2011
Quote:

Just curious, where did you find this?

Glad to hear they lost that round, at any rate.

On another message board...